If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Anime

Comments

• J_SenseiJ_Sensei Member Full Members
    edited August 2007
    Turn-A is pretty good. It just moves more slowly than other Gundams, and I've just never been able to get past about 25 eps or so. The same is true of V Gundam, but I've only made it around 5 or 6 for it. I need to break down and just watch both of them, if for no other reason than to keep my gundam fanboy status. I've seen every other gundam series (but not the movies, since they don't add anything to the timelines (F-91 and Char's Counterattack not included, of course I've watched those).

It's kind of a shame that the alternate universes got such a bad reception in Japan. Personally, I really like Wing and X a lot, but I never really heard any of my students mention them while I was there. They did, however, love G Gundam with a passion. Granted, it's a LOT better in Japanese, but I found it too silly for my tastes as a favorite. That said, I can't deny that Master Gundam and God Gundam are pretty awesome.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited August 2007
    I never saw X and have always wanted to. Maybe I'll hunt up some fansubs since it never came over here.

God Gundam is fantastic.

Musou Gundam, Here I come.
    edited August 2007
    Gundam X is pretty cool. It's set in a world where there actually WAS a colony dropped. It has a relatively small cast, and there are only maybe 8 gundams in all. There are, of course, other mobile suits, but they aren't gundams. It never got the same reception as other series, and as such, it got cut short.
    edited August 2007
    Does it at least feel complete?

The 08th MS team got cut short but it felt complete to me.
    edited August 2007
    I think so. As I recall, the ending might be a LITTLE rushed, but it's not bad. It's not as bad as other gundams that got cut short.
  • Zidane TribalZidane Tribal Banned Banned Users
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Zelgodes @ Aug. 08 2007,14:56)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Well, I won't lie Zidane. That pic is quite adorable.</div>
    Thanks for that, Zel. You've got an eye for fine art. laugh.gif

Anyway, I know Hellsing has been out for a long time, but I'm just now starting to get into it. I've read a little of the manga version at Borders a couple of weeks ago, and I've seen it in funny AMVs like Xocwerd Moments In Anime and The Interent Is For . I've also looked it up in the trusty ol' Wikipedia for it's plot and characters. Hey MasterChief, do you suggest I get it? Maybe I should start up an anime suggestion thread. I dunno... sad.gif
  • kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited August 2007
    I enjoy Hellsing. Very intresting characters and a intresting plot. I know that the anime does not follow the manga towards the end though.

But if don't like blood and guts, then it may not be the thing for you. And there are two different versions of the anime. There's the first one which is four volumes and Ultimate.
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (kittenofthepack @ Aug. 10 2007,13:28)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">And there are two different versions of the anime. There's the first one which is four volumes and Ultimate.</div>
    Then what would be the best choice for me? 'Cause I don't like the idea of having to buy both. sad.gif

BTW, without giving anything away, how are both versions different? rock.gif
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited August 2007
    The stories branch out after <span class="spoiler">the mansion attack</span>. Ultimate is much, much more faithful to the manga than the original Hellsing TV miniseries. It's also a hell of a lot gorier and, being an OVA series, much, much prettier. I don't see why you wouldn't wanna get them both though, since the original series is cheap nowadays, being in Geneon's Signature Series.

Manga is best though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited August 2007
    The manga got hung up for so long! o.o!!! I think volume eight finally got released last month or so.

Ultimate is up to volume 2, which I need to watch. ;_; Arg. But I would grab the original first, and maybe wait till Ultimate gets a boxset.
    edited August 2007
    I have all of the Hellsing DVD's so far. The series is really eally great up until the last little Incognito arc. And even then it was pretty cool to see Alucard go crazy go nuts.

I like the Ultimate series well enough... But it's just paced way to quickly for my taste. I rather use it as a supplement to the series.
    edited August 2007
    I didn't want to post this after my last one in the Web Stuff thread and commit thread necromancy, so I thought I'd post it here since I wanted to ask 'bout the two different versions of Hellsing anyway. Here's where I saw it for the first time and got me interested: Xocwerd Moments in Anime!

If anyone with a good eye for anime can point out for me which clips are from the box set of Geneon's Signature Series and from Ultimate that'd be great. BTW, the whole four parts of Xocwerd are entirely NSFW.
    edited August 2007
    I'd watch and tell you, But I absolutely detest AMV's and overdubs. So sorry. Hopefully someone else can help.

Though I don't know why you wouldn't just get both. They're both amazing.
    edited August 2007
    Well the first clip is of the Geneon's Signature Series of Hellsing but I could be wrong. Hard to see the detail since the clip was kinda small and I also got bored and didn't watch the rest. ;P

But I would invest in the Geneon's Signature Series first, in case they stop making it or something. And when you get more cash flow go for Ultimate series since they are still producing DVDs of it.
  • Vampire Hunter VVampire Hunter V Member Full Members
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Frozenbabylon @ Aug. 09 2007,07:54)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (J_Sensei @ Aug. 09 2007,07:34)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Also, I wish there would be a new Gundam series. I could use more giant robot fun.</div>
    New Gundam? Who loves ya, Baby?</div>
    FrozenB and Sensei: Which Gundam series would you guys recommend me checking out? The only series I've seen was Gundam Wing which I enjoyed (way back in the Toonami days), and the beginning of Gundam Seed (only saw a couple of episodes). I'm looking for something that has some political themes like Wing did, a dark story and interesting characters. Definitely not something like SD Gundam.

On a side note, I noticed Wings of Honneamise is being released again in a Special Edition that has both the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray formats this September. I'm eager to see if they were able to really enhance the dated animation from the VHS/DVD versions.
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Vampire Hunter V @ Aug. 14 2007,13:08)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I'm looking for something that has some political themes like Wing did, a dark story and interesting characters. ?Definitely not something like SD Gundam.</div>
    Hey, why you hate SD Gundam for? That was the only Gundam series I could understand. Better than a buncha depressed teens piloting giant robots. wink.gif laugh.gif
    edited August 2007
    *shakes head* Yeah... I shouldn't be coming back to this thread. Someone can't even keep a civil tongue about MY favorite series'.
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Frozenbabylon @ Aug. 15 2007,14:20)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">*shakes head* Yeah... I shouldn't be coming back to this thread. Someone can't even keep a civil tongue about MY favorite series'.</div>
    I'm sorry 'bout that, Frosty. I forgot you said you liked the Gundam series on the last page. 'Sides, that post was mostly directed to Hunter. I'm also sorry for picking on the Ghost in the Shell series. I admit it has excellent animation but I'm not too fond of the plot(s). Different posters, different tastes. smile.gif
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited August 2007
    I managed to catch up on Bleach, so now I'm bored. At least I have something to look forward to on Wednesdays now.

Actually, scratch that, I'm just gonna read the manga now, like I am with Naruto, which has been a bit of a bore lately.

• Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited August 2007
    Zel, just a little warning about the manga. It can be veeeery slow. Like Dragon Ball Z 2-weeks-to-throw-a-punch slow. It took nearly 2 months to finish the fight between Ichigo and Grimmjow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
    edited August 2007
    Right, about that, I just got finished with the manga too. I see what you mean though, it did get dragged out a lot longer than any of the other battles before it. I think I'll go back and read the rest from the beginning later. I can imagine it was annoying waiting for it to get done just checking back every week. I just got it done in one shot, so it didn't seem too bad.
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited August 2007
    The worst part is that the battle never officially finished. It was just interrupted by Noitora. confused.gif

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
    edited August 2007
    Well it could have been finished if the people would actually make sure to finish off their opponents.
    edited August 2007
    I saw a trailer of that Eureka Seven anime everyone here used to talk about a while ago on my Melancholy DVD(s). What is up with all the hype surrounding that anime?! All I saw were a buncha battle scenes, mechs on skyboards, catchy J-pop music, and a weird, green-haired chick with throbby veins on her face and forehead that turned me off. Ugh, anime chicks with throbby veins all over their faces... crazy.gif
    edited August 2007
    Eureka Seven is just a really great story. Watch a few episodes before passing judgment. (I did with Melancholy.)
    edited August 2007
    Also, the vein thing is only there for about half of the show.
    edited August 2007
    And she's incredibly self-conscious about it too.
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited August 2007
    And the story behind it all is very good.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
    edited August 2007
    eh. Don't waste your breath. He saw the mechs and the vein and decided DO NOT WANT.

No good stories in his pappy crap anime hour. Nothing that doesn't involve preteen Japanese school girls. No sirree...
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited August 2007
    Sad. So very sad. *sad panda face*
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.