If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Anime

Comments

• ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited August 2007
    Okay, I think we've had enough of picking on him now.
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited August 2007
    No picking on him from my side. Merely sad that Eureka 7 hasn't really gotten the best of chances in some cases. Its such a good show. But to each their own. Everyone will watch what they like. End of story.

More Witch Hunter Robin tonight methinks.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited August 2007
    Woot go Pokemon, wait it is going. On and On and On and On and.....
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
    edited August 2007
    This is the song that never ends..... it goes on and on my friends.....

Just like Pokemon.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited August 2007
    Eh. I'm just being snippy. I guess it bugged me that he just saw a trailer and discounted the whole thing instead of even trying to watch even an episode.

Sorry.

Also:
    <div>
    (Zelgodes @ Aug. 24 2007,19:24)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Okay, I think we've had enough of picking on him now.</div>
    lol Backseat Mod

• kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited August 2007
    Was or is Eureka 7 on adult swim?
    edited August 2007
    It was on Adult Swim, but they took it off after the first run. Which is odd considering their tendency to run the river dry before taking it off for half a year. I imagine it'll run again soon, possibly during the week after Fullmetal Alchemist runs through again or after Blood+ catches up to where it is on Saturdays.
  • kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited August 2007
    Maybe not enough viewers? I'ma guessing all the InuYasha fans were too busy bugging the adult swim peoples about not having Inuyasha on to watch anythign else. ;P

I really miss 'Big O', only big robot anime I liked. Oh well not like I can stay awake long enough to watch it.

PS: Witch Hunter Robin rocks.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited August 2007
    Ah, Big O. The only anime awesome enough to rip off a Queen song for their opening. ^^

Man, I remember when they first showed Big O II, I was glued to the TV every week.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Slayer of God @ Aug. 25 2007,20:43)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Ah, Big O. The only anime awesome enough to rip off a Queen song for their opening. ^^

Man, I remember when they first showed Big O II, I was glued to the TV every week.</div>
    Me too.

Hopefully we can see Big-O III... I wanna know the ending!
    edited August 2007
    I don't know, I think anyone who wanted to watch Inuyasha had their chance on the 5+ times they've run the entire series since Adult Swim's beginnings.
    edited August 2007
    I hate that show and I've even seen it in it's entirety at least two times.
    edited August 2007
    It would be better if it weren't just the same exact thing every episode and Naraku wasn't the main antagonist for the entire series after the first 20 episodes. Also, finishing some semblance of a story would be nice.

edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Zelgodes @ Aug. 25 2007,21:08)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Naraku wasn't the main protagonist for the entire series after the first 20 episodes.</div>
    Antagonist, my good man. ^^
    edited August 2007
    So, you think you're so good with word speakin', do you?

Yeah, thanks for that.
  • Agent_009Agent_009 Member Full Members
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Slayer of God @ Aug. 25 2007,22:43)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Man, I remember when they first showed Big O II, I was glued to the TV every week.</div>
    Gosh, I remember that... I religiously set my VCR to record that show. I remember adult swim played a trick on the viewers on the night that the last episode was to be shown - they played the first minute of one of the earlier episodes as if they were going to run through the old episodes again. Then, the animation slowed down to a halt before adult swim finally came clean and showed the final episode with the phrase [Ye not trusting] or something like that. I remember seeing that on my recorded VCR tape and thinking "omg, did I skip a week and miss the final episode?!" I was about ready to turn it off and be very angry.

I'm still curious to know why the character designer made the far ends of Roger's eyebrows like that laugh.gif ...
    edited August 2007
    Speaking of Big O, I'm now scared s**tless when going down ladders. That was such a creepy scene.
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited August 2007
    What? Are you afraid a homicidal android that looks exactly like the android that lives with you will come after you like a stood up psychotic prom date? laugh.gif

Anyway, what's this about Big O III? I thought the series ended <span class="spoiler">with Angel realizing her true role in the whole story as the in story embodiment of Metropolis author Angel Rosewater, who began to erase the story to begin again using Big Venus as the medium for Paradigm's erasure. It was here that Roger convinced her not to completely start over, but rather to remember who she was and what this parallel city to New York (bet most of you didn't know that/ it's why its name is Paradigm, meaning parallel) really was.</span>

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • Zidane TribalZidane Tribal Banned Banned Users
    edited August 2007
    I have never watched an episode of Naruto in it's entirety, but I have read about it in magazines and websites for a while. I dunno, but something tells me to stay away from it and not to give into the hype. 'Sides, I learned a long time ago that Naruto is voiced by some old lady. That's creepy, like Ash Ketchum and him mother sharing the same voice actress creepy. Maybe I'll watch the first episode of Naruto and then decide. sad.gif
  • J_SenseiJ_Sensei Member Full Members
    edited August 2007
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">FrozenB and Sensei: Which Gundam series would you guys recommend me checking out? The only series I've seen was Gundam Wing which I enjoyed (way back in the Toonami days), and the beginning of Gundam Seed (only saw a couple of episodes). I'm looking for something that has some political themes like Wing did, a dark story and interesting characters. Definitely not something like SD Gundam.</div>

Sorry for the VERY late reply. I've not followed this thread in.... forever. Here's the thing about Gundam. You've got your two main timelines (MS Gundam's U.C. and SEED's C.E.) The others are all unrelated to each other. The U.C. Time line has a LOT of good stuff; with the best of it being Zeta Gundam. But to TRULY understand it, you should watch M.S. Gundam and (preferrably) Gundam 0083. MS Gundam isn't bad by any means, but it's so old that it's difficult to watch. It's also the original Gundam, so they hadn't yet perfected the formula. Gundam 0083 was created well after Zeta, but it fits nicely between M.S. Gundam (0079) and Zeta, one of the best Gundam series of all time. Now, it IS possible to understand Zeta without prior knowledge, but it definitely helps. After Zeta comes ZZ Gundam, and it's so-so. It's not bad, but it was a little goofy for my tastes. Bandai was concerned that Zeta was too serious. Then of course, you have Char's counterattack, Gundam F91, and V Gundam, but I've never been able to finish V Gundam. It starts off way to slowly for me to pick it up, and I simply can't believe that by that time, they're still using multi-part Gundams.

This brings me to SEED, the only other series to get sequels. SEED is very, very good. In fact, it rivals Zeta for the title of my favorite Gundam. It is followed up by SEED Destiny, and on its own, it's good, but not as good as SEED. The one thing that is cool about it, is pretty much every suit in the series has basis in the U.C. timeline. For instance, Impulse Gundam is very much like a modernized ZZ Gundam, and Gundam Destroy is a modern revision of the Psycho Gundam. There are also several modern Zeon suits like the Zaku, Gouf, and Gouhn.

As for the other alternate universes, I'm rather fond of Gundam X, but it's not very universally popular. There's also Turn-A Gundam, and I've heard it's amazing. I've only seen about half of it, and it's not bad, but it was too slow for my tastes. There's also G Gundam. Here's the thing about that. The English is awful. For starters, they had to change the names of the two most important Gundams: God and Devil. God was renamed Burning Gundam, and Devil was changed to Dark Gundam. The series is REALLY goofy, but if you can handle the sheer cheese factor, it's not bad in Japanese. It also has some of the best Gundam designs of all time. God Gundam and Master Gundam are REALLY awesome.

So really, it depends on how much time you want to invest in Gundam. The U.C. timeline (not counting 08th team) is roughly 200 episodes (and a couple movies) strong. The C.E. timeline clocks in around 103. The rest are around 50 each. If you're only going to watch two series, watch Zeta and SEED, but I really must recommend you watch at LEAST MS Gundam before Zeta. I chose to watch them all in the order in which they happen, not the order in which they were made.

There's also Gundam 00. It starts in October, and it has me REALLY excited. If you have any other Gundam questions, drop me PM or email.
  • Tigron111Tigron111 Member Full Members
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Zidane Tribal @ Aug. 28 2007,01:23)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I have never watched an episode of Naruto in it's entirety, but I have read about it in magazines and websites for a while. I dunno, but something tells me to stay away from it and not to give into the hype. 'Sides, I learned a long time ago that Naruto is voiced by some old lady. That's creepy, like Ash Ketchum and him mother sharing the same voice actress creepy. Maybe I'll watch the first episode of Naruto and then decide. sad.gif</div>
    Meh, I can take or leave naruto. It's great and I manage to giggle at least once in a while (yes, I giggle, wanna fight about it?) but the fact that I always seem to watch when CN wants to replay the zabuza story (which is good) kind of turns me away.

Also, Eureka7 is still on Adult Swim here in Aus. Too bad that's also when I'm in t3h internets and I forget until about halfway through Leno, which in turn makes me miss out on half of Black Cat.

Now Black Cat, there's a series I can get into easily. It's made of 100% win!
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (J_Sensei @ Aug. 27 2007,19:37)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"> <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">FrozenB and Sensei: Which Gundam series would you guys recommend me checking out? The only series I've seen was Gundam Wing which I enjoyed (way back in the Toonami days), and the beginning of Gundam Seed (only saw a couple of episodes). I'm looking for something that has some political themes like Wing did, a dark story and interesting characters. Definitely not something like SD Gundam.</div>

Sorry for the VERY late reply. I've not followed this thread in.... forever. Here's the thing about Gundam. You've got your two main timelines (MS Gundam's U.C. and SEED's C.E.) The others are all unrelated to each other. The U.C. Time line has a LOT of good stuff; with the best of it being Zeta Gundam. But to TRULY understand it, you should watch M.S. Gundam and (preferrably) Gundam 0083. MS Gundam isn't bad by any means, but it's so old that it's difficult to watch. It's also the original Gundam, so they hadn't yet perfected the formula. Gundam 0083 was created well after Zeta, but it fits nicely between M.S. Gundam (0079) and Zeta, one of the best Gundam series of all time. Now, it IS possible to understand Zeta without prior knowledge, but it definitely helps. After Zeta comes ZZ Gundam, and it's so-so. It's not bad, but it was a little goofy for my tastes. Bandai was concerned that Zeta was too serious. Then of course, you have Char's counterattack, Gundam F91, and V Gundam, but I've never been able to finish V Gundam. It starts off way to slowly for me to pick it up, and I simply can't believe that by that time, they're still using multi-part Gundams.

This brings me to SEED, the only other series to get sequels. SEED is very, very good. In fact, it rivals Zeta for the title of my favorite Gundam. It is followed up by SEED Destiny, and on its own, it's good, but not as good as SEED. The one thing that is cool about it, is pretty much every suit in the series has basis in the U.C. timeline. For instance, Impulse Gundam is very much like a modernized ZZ Gundam, and Gundam Destroy is a modern revision of the Psycho Gundam. There are also several modern Zeon suits like the Zaku, Gouf, and Gouhn.

As for the other alternate universes, I'm rather fond of Gundam X, but it's not very universally popular. There's also Turn-A Gundam, and I've heard it's amazing. I've only seen about half of it, and it's not bad, but it was too slow for my tastes. There's also G Gundam. Here's the thing about that. The English is awful. For starters, they had to change the names of the two most important Gundams: God and Devil. God was renamed Burning Gundam, and Devil was changed to Dark Gundam. The series is REALLY goofy, but if you can handle the sheer cheese factor, it's not bad in Japanese. It also has some of the best Gundam designs of all time. God Gundam and Master Gundam are REALLY awesome.

So really, it depends on how much time you want to invest in Gundam. The U.C. timeline (not counting 08th team) is roughly 200 episodes (and a couple movies) strong. The C.E. timeline clocks in around 103. The rest are around 50 each. If you're only going to watch two series, watch Zeta and SEED, but I really must recommend you watch at LEAST MS Gundam before Zeta. I chose to watch them all in the order in which they happen, not the order in which they were made.

There's also Gundam 00. It starts in October, and it has me REALLY excited. If you have any other Gundam questions, drop me PM or email.</div>
    Holy crap! I missed someone asking me a question. Wow.

Sorry man. But basically everything Sensei just said. It's money. He knows exactly what he's talking about.

Speaking of which. I got ahole of some terrible terrible subs of Turn A. While it doesn't render the show unwatchable... It doesn't make it easy. But I like it well enough so far. Willing to watch more, obviously
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited August 2007
    Zidane, I take it you don't like Nancy Cartwright?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
    edited August 2007
    FB needs to create a new thread where Zidane bashes anime he knows next to nothing about.

Anyway, as far as Gundam goes, I'm a serious thorn in the side of the Gundam fanatic, as the only UC series I was able to watch to completion was 0083, and that was likely because it's only 12 episodes long. SEED didn't do anything for me either.

Wing and G though, I love those to death. Wing was one of my bread and butter anime back in the Toonami days, and G was just a perfect melding of Gundam and typical shounen fighting manga/anime, which I admit I am a total sucker for. blush.gif
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Slayer of God @ Aug. 28 2007,00:37)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">FB needs to create a new thread where Zidane bashes anime he knows next to nothing about.</div>
    HAHAHAHA.
  • J_SenseiJ_Sensei Member Full Members
    edited August 2007
    Slayer, the thing that almost ruins G Gundam for me is the end. Normally, I'd be THRILLED to see gundams o' plenty, but the designs are so silly that it just kills the moment. A bull gundam. A clown Gundam. A windmill gundam. Gundams were always supposed to be really great looking mechs, (Turn-A and its amazing 'stache notwithstanding) not goofy things that just shouldn't have ever been. Ever. Aside from that, it IS an interesting marriage of shonen fighting and Gundam. And if I'm not mistaken, Domon is the oldest "Gundam Boy" so far; he's in his twenties.

edited August 2007
    I'm usually fine with most anime dubs Zidane, but Naruto just ticks me off a lot. Whoever voices Naruto gives him the most annoying voice in the world. I mean, I suppose it makes sense since that's how the character is supposed to be, but there's a limit. He sounds like an idiot all the time, even when he's trying to be serious. Otherwise, the voice acting isn't that bad.

There are, however, a lot of things that were translated into English that just sound really awkward when said out loud. It was sort of weird watching it after having seen subbed episodes, but it is still entertaining.
    edited August 2007
    Oh I'm giggling. But I'm not saying why. Nope.

Anyways. I'm thinking of picking up Last Exile next time I'm near an anime store.
  • Zidane TribalZidane Tribal Banned Banned Users
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Slayer of God @ Aug. 28 2007,00:37)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">FB needs to create a new thread where Zidane bashes anime he knows next to nothing about.</div>
    Hey now, I didn't exactly bash Naruto as an anime. I was just skeptical about all the hype surrounding it, the numerous plots I'd have to keep track of, and the FACT that Naruto IS VOICED by an old lady. And yes, Zel, from what I've heard he does sound annoying, like a needle scratching a vinyl record. Believe it! thumbs-up.gif
    edited August 2007
    <div>
    (Zidane Tribal @ Aug. 28 2007,15:18)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Believe it! thumbs-up.gif</div>
    My new least favorite two-word sequence. I mean, he could take a break from saying it every once in a while.