If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What are you playing today?

Comments

• Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    Yeah, it would be nice if each ended in a way that makes you feel like you finished a game instead of finished chapter 1 of 6...
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    Doing a bunch of Global Samaritan Campaigns right now on Xenosaga II to get things like Double Attacks for Jin and Shion etc. wheee!! laugh.gif Also playing Ys when not playing Xenosaga. As for online running around on Wow which has proven to be a lot of fun for me. laugh.gif
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gouden Draak @ Feb. 28 2005,16:36)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yeah, it would be nice if each ended in a way that makes you feel like you finished a game instead of finished chapter 1 of 6...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That, by and large, was my biggest grudge with the first.

When it comes down to it, there's no reason a multipart series can't end each part as a complete game.

Dracos
  • The Master ChiefThe Master Chief Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    Right now I'm playing through two games primarily:

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - You know, I LIKE this game for the most part, but I'll be damned if it's not the hardest RPG since DW2 NES. The enemies are tough as nails and they LOVE insta-kill spells.

Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim - A nice game for the most part. I could have done well without the camera being so far away, but I'm managing now. The game is old-school to the core, and minicks the gameplay of games like Link to the Past quite well. One thing that struck me as strange is how the game is generally pretty easy, even in Hard mode, but then drops some NASTY boss battles. These aren't the type of guys you can just outlevel to oblivion (though upgrading your swords helps), and they aren't just one exploit away from being easy. They're just hard, pulse-pounding bosses that'll take many a retry to get through. The battles themselves are great, but I would have liked to see the challenge spread out a bit more.
  • SkaBossSkaBoss Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    Yeah, episode 2 really leaves more questions unanswered than the first, but it does have a conclusive feeling to it as everything really settles down at the end.
    edited March 2005
    Grawr. Someone get those people in writing courses until they learn how to write a multipart work of fiction >_<

Dracos
    The biased/fearful/wantstoloveit xenofan.
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited March 2005
    I've been playing through XS2 as well. Currently, I'm a number of hours into the second disc ("<span class="spoiler">inside the Ormus Stronghold, and now on foot</span>") and I was really worried about the first disk being so short, too (the count was around 13 hours at the time). But overall I've really been enjoyably wrapped up it.

I also fully agree with the praise of Shadow Hearts: Covenant. A lot of fun, and even some great laugh-out-loud moments ("Snowball!!").
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    For some reason, I decided to pick up SH: Covenant instead of YS VI. It was pretty cheap, and it seemed like a good deal. I've been playing this game lately and I don't regret the purchase.
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited March 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Feb. 28 2005,16:02)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Dude, talk 'bout 'em. =)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Winning Eleven 8
    I've been playing Konami's soccer games for a while now and I am of the opinion that this is their best offering to date. FIFA might have the licenses, but WE has the edge in game play, hands down.

My only problem with the game is that Man U didn't have Ronaldo and Juventus didn't have Ibrahimovic out of the box.

La Pucelle Tactics
    I am a closet Nippon Ichi fanboy. There, I said it. Do to me what you must.

As per the rules of our order, a game made by the Great Studio is in my gaming queue. Not much more to say other than the game has a dirty title (The Virgin Tactics).

Shadow Hearts: Covenant
    When this game came out last year, I avoided it like the plague for some unexplainable reason.

Thus far, (about twenty hours) I've been very impressed. Honestly, I can find no significant fault in its mechanics. That and it has a wicked sense of humor (Example. Note: you will not find that picture particularly humorous unless you know things like Garou's subtitle, Terry Bogard's nickname or Aruze's history with SNK.), much akin to Mario & Luigi or Paper Mario 2, albeit in a much darker and absurdist form.

Ys: the Ark of Napishtim
    After playing a few more hours, I stand by my original assessment of this game being pretty boss.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis

edited March 2005
    Davis:

The whole wolf bout thing was quite possibly the funniest part of the game. It just was covered in references, quick jokes, whatnot.

And...apologizing for being a Nippon Ichi fan here? I think that covers like half the board. The game has a lot more dirty about it than it's title. Though I think the tone was slaughtered by the translation something fierce.

Dracos
    Looks forward to receiving Ys in the mail.
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    Front Mission 4 for a bit today...yes my mech obsession disease is fatal!! tounge.gif
    edited March 2005
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~!

It got another one.

Cursed FM4.

Dracos
    The most opinionated man. Ever.

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    After studying heavily, I'm currently spending the afternoon with Soul Hackers.

Oh and... I'd kill for Hitomi. :I
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
    edited March 2005
    Soul Hackers?

Dracos
    Asks ignorantly.
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    edited March 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Mar. 01 2005,17:48)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Soul Hackers?

Dracos
    Asks ignorantly.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes.

tounge.gif

It was never translated, but it surely is one of Atlus' masterpieces. It's part of the Devil Summoner series (a Megaten spinoff, if you wish).
    edited March 2005
    I win!
    edited March 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SupraDarky @ Mar. 01 2005,17:56)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I win![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No, you lose, it's not a SMT tounge.gif
    edited March 2005
    Ohh but isn't Devil Summoner a series part of SMT?
    Like "Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers".
    Yea...
    edited March 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SupraDarky @ Mar. 01 2005,18:04)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Ohh but isn't Devil Summoner a series part of SMT?
    Like "Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers".
    Yea...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It's a spin-off, not much more. It doesn't have SMT in the name, much like Persona didn't. Believe me, I own the damn game.

edited March 2005
    Yea it's a spin off, you're right. I got confused because the Saturn version's name is the one I said above.
    edited March 2005
    Have you played it? It's a damn shame it wasn't translated. By far one of the most interesting titles I've played.
    edited March 2005
    Yeah, but we all know that many publshers are allergic to interesting titles =P

Dracos
    *Whaps namco with a stick*
    edited March 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ Mar. 01 2005,12:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Have you played it? It's a damn shame it wasn't translated. By far one of the most interesting titles I've played.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Unfortunately I didn't. I actually had a hard time liking SMT3: Nocturne at first, but I forced myself to continue playing it and I eventually beat it. I'm glad I did, the game grew on me. tounge.gif
  • ASHURANASHURAN Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    lol im the only one playing Y's 6. I love this game! played it in the us version first now im playing it in the japanese anime cutscene pc version. Its like 2 games in one! Im loving Y's 6!!! so much more then i have any rpg in awhile biggrin.gif
    edited March 2005
    But...you aren't. It's been named ten times so far and this thread has only been around a day or so.

Dracos
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited March 2005
    I've just got sick of playing Vampire: Bloodlines. The game is too cool. It's a great action RPG with a lot of NPC interaction, crazy missions, sucking, stealth, the whole package. And if you're a Vampire: The Masquerade player, that's a plus. The game follows everything in the metaplot nicely and there's a lot of creatures from the World of Darkness, although the game takes some creative license with some disciplines, but that is to be expected. smile.gif

Too bad Troika is done for good. sad.gif
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited March 2005
    Did you beat it, Max? I'm right at the end, but for some reason I lack the courage to take on "<span class="spoiler">the Prince and the Warden</span>".

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • OrakioOrakio New Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    Hmmm....

I'm currently playing Summoner 2 and Dark Chronicle on the PS2 but lately I've gotten a bit bored with them. (buttonbashing combat and higly repetitive(sp) ). Tommorow is my day off and I'm feeling kinda nostalgic so I think that my Master System will see the light again for a while. biggrin.gif

"Dusts off Y's the Vanished Omen" ? smile.gif
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited March 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Davis @ Mar. 02 2005,02:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Did you beat it, Max? I'm right at the end, but for some reason I lack the courage to take on "<span class="spoiler">the Prince and the Warden</span>".

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yeah, I did beat it. Have you gonne against "<span class="spoiler">Ming Xiao</span>" first? That mission was ten times worst than the last one. And at least I had a lot more trouble with the boss battle.
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree