If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What are you playing today?

Comments

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    No they were, both ran between 50 - 60 dollars here in the US at least
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited March 10
    Been playing a lot more Breath of the Wild. So far I've completed about 42 Shrines and I'm heading into the third major story event now.

While my earlier negative impressions still exist, as well as a few I haven't mentioned such as swimming, they've all become heavily overshadowed by how amazingly vast and wondrous the title can be after you get past the starting zone. The world is just as breath taking and fun to explore and both Xenoblade games, and it always feels like you are discovering something new whether it be a secret area or a unique interaction that Link can perform with many of the abilities and techniques at his disposal. There are so many instances where the player uses simple logic to try and solve a dilemma that actually work as intended in your mind without weird gameplay quirks, hand holding, or other nonsense getting in the way. I can't remember the last time I felt like a game evoked this fluid problem solving approach. The ability to change, upgrade, and dye armor sets for fashion and minor gameplay changes is great too. The visual aesthetic here is really amazing too, and it only gets better as you visit more locales. So yeah, I've really changed my tune and converted into a Breath of the Wild lover, even though I typically don't like open world games. There's definitely a few flaws that get glossed over in reviews, but they seem kind of small after you've dived head first into everything. Between this, Berseria, Persona 5, and who knows what else, it may very well be the best year of gaming in a very long time.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
    So playing Lunar 2: Eternal Blue as this is one of the games in my Backlog that I really regret not finishing (got to last boss but always ran outta mana). I'm playing it through other means CUASE I CAN NOT FIND MY FIRST DISK *grrrr* last time I saw it was before we moved to our current place ... 5 years ago
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited March 13
    I've been continuing to play Overwatch a few hours each day. The ranking system is a huge disappointment coming from Blizzard, given how well competitive play worked in Starcraft 2 when I played it. All I want is a 6v6 match where all 12 of us are reasonably close to the same skill level. Maybe my issue is I don't mind playing support, meaning I usually get stuck playing support where I don't have much direct control over whether we win or lose. Today I kept getting DPS medals as Lucio and Zenyatta because the actual DPS characters on the team weren't doing anything. When I went DPS I got 2-3 golds every match. I'm usually the best player on my team because my ranking is too low, but if we lose, it drops more. It's frustrating. I have a few friends who are much higher rank, and when I play with them, we win more often than not, but my ranking rises too slowly to get me up in that tier. This isn't how it should work. Though I don't care what rank I am, I'd like to play with better people, and it's causing me to play less...

...which is good because I need to play more Breath of the Wild to move on to Nier then Persona. I've done 36 shrines and 2 of the beasts. It's an impressive game, and the first Zelda that feels like a 21st century experience rather than a minimally altered Ocarina or LttP remake. The UI is very flawed, but the gameplay is slow enough that it doesn't matter as much as it could. My biggest complaint about other 3D Zeldas was all the handholding, so I absolutely love that there's NONE in this one. Solving puzzles feels like an accomplishment again, and the sense of exploration is on par with an Elder Scrolls game.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    I have been determined this month to finish some of the games I've started. I am happy to have knocked out Atelier Shallie Plus and Firis, but now I'm trying to figure out what to focus my attention on given my husband has stolen the PS4 from me in order to love on Horizon Zero Dawn. So I've been in the middle of Story of Seasons: A Trio of Towns (which I need to review for you guys), Harvest Moon: Skytree Village, which I'm at the 6th Skytree and want to review for you guys, and Corpse Party (PC), which I am on the third chapter of, but can only play a chapter at a time because the game gives me willies.

I really need to try and focus.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Trying out Atelier Sophie via Steam right now. My laptop's running it fairly well, with the exception of big video sequences. I think I've figured out most of the keyboard controls by now as well.

There's one big visual glitch, though. In scenes, people's eyes randomly disappear from their character models, only to reappear in mid-air or attached to other people's foreheads. There's also a particular NPC model (standard boy) whose hair is consistently six inches behind his skull, leaving an interesting gap in the middle.

As far as the game itself goes, I am strongly reminded of the early PS2 era of the series. Still deciding on whether or not this is a good thing, considering how some of those went. At least it can't be as broken as Lilie was...
    edited March 17
    In Breath of the Wild I ended up finishing all 4 major story dungeons now and am sitting at 75 shrines completed. Part of me wants to do all the shrines and side quests in the game before fighting the final boss, but I'm having second thoughts now. Mostly because every time I turn the game on it feels like I get next to nothing accomplished and I'm starting to get a little burned out on it. So I decided to take a break with...

Resident Evil 7 on the PS4. My progress in the game thus far is that I'm just about finish the Cerberus puzzle. Its been a strange experience thus far, not sure how I feel about it. Things started out pretty fun, I like the premise of the story and the opening sequence of events quite a bit. Sets the stage for a smaller and more intense scenario with brand new characters that aren't Zombie Exterminating Army Veterans which is what I feel the series needed. Also, this one segment of the game was hysterical;
    Trying to run over an immortal cajun cannibal man calling himself Daddy in a locked garage with a car was just too good.
    However, the more I play the less I enjoy the gameplay. Most of it has consisted of using stealth or running away from an impending death you can't really fight, and FPS gunplay in tight corridors thats just plain boring and bad. For some reason I do think the VCR segments of RE7 are really cool, and its strange but I'm honestly more invested with those characters than the one I'm playing as right now. The return to having more puzzles and a "house" environment is cool, but I just don't enjoy any enemy encounters and I don't see that improving over time.
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    I got Mass Effect: Andromeda against better judgement.

Does anyone know why the true purpose of AAA development seems to be a desperate race to the bottom to craft the worst UI possible? It's very strange.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Been playing a lot of Mass Effect: Andromeda since day one. The game gives a lot of ME1 vibes, combined with combat from ME3. Enjoying it a lot, as just like the previous ME games it's a lot of fun. I would say where I'm at, but unfortunately I don't know how far I'm in the game, I'm spending a lot of time doing sidequests like how I used to in ME1.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    Been playing FF XV a lot lately when I have time to play more than XIV.

I'm to, where the walkthough is right, where it gets linear; been trying to up some gil and stuff since I'm going to need potions.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    edited March 24
    So after finishing RE7, I started playing Fate/Extella. Was going to be Nier, but this is what Gamefly decided, so thats that.

Extella is actually an interesting game. I wasn't expecting this, but its actually a direct sequel of sorts to Fate/Extra as opposed something that just borrows from the Fate universe. Its funny how you start the game off remembering very little, because this is one of the few times where I remember jack all from the previous game's plot, letting me identify with the confusion/amnesia of the protagonist. Extella is some kind of Visual Novel/Dynasty Warriors hybrid, which is really interesting because I usually expect games in this style to have a throwaway plot for the sake of action, where its actually sort of the opposite here. That being said, while I have a soft spot for the overly romantic relationships and more light-hearted tone the game takes, the plot uses too many different terms and is kind of all over the place for me to say its particularly good. Its likeable in a slightly more serious Tokyo Mirage Sessions kind of way. I'm actually pretty far in this game, on the 3rd story arc out of 4 total. Overall I'm having a good time playing Extella, its easy to sit down and lose yourself for a good hour or so before switching to something else. Gonna put a hard deadline on myself to finish either this or Zelda in 10 days so I can be ready to devote myself to Persona 5. Its just ridiculous how great this first half of the year has been in gaming.
    Started up Exstetra on the DS, and it's been... interesting. The devs really took the concept of "kissing RPG" to some logical extremes, just in the first hour. It's also pretty difficult on the Normal setting. I had to reset on the second boss because there was no way I was going to beat that thing, even with free retries. Experience gains are pretty slow, and in fact I'm not sure if I even gained a level with all the fighting before Boss #2. I DID gain a level on the second time around, thankfully, and I knew enough to mess with the game's enchantment system heavily before I even made the attempt. More on that later.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited April 1
    I have so many new games to play, a few in progress I should get back to, and games I enjoy with multiple endings I want to replay. Instead I'm IV breeding in Pokemon Sun. Such is my gaming life. There is an egg-hatching global mission going on right now. I may as well keep at it.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

I didn't want to get into anything new in the time between finishing Breath of the Wild and starting Persona 5. I played more Overwatch than usual, had a few times where solid teammates wanted to group up after a win, and I pulled my SR out of "terrible" and back to a range where not everyone is awful. That's been a lot more enjoyable. I have the most fun with Zenyatta and Mei, but relative to how I see others perform, Mercy and Zen are probably my best characters. I rarely use him, but I also seem to be better with Soldier than most, which is odd because I don't like precise aiming and he's easy to use.

I went back to Breath of the Wild for a couple hours while watching the NCAA basketball final tonight. Just got a few more shrines, another great fairy after looking her up online, did some quests -- nothing big -- and with the tourney over I won't be picking it up again. Looking forward to Persona 5!
    Persona 5 replaced Andromeda in my PS4 for now but I do plan to mix P5 with Cosmic Star.
    sig.gif

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    I ended up picking up my save again for Dragon Quest IX, and I've just made it the Gittingham Palace. A little worried my levels are too low, given most of my characters are only just hitting 35. Hoping to knock this one off this month since it's on my goals list to be completed in the year. I like this one!

Also playing Horizon: Zero Dawn on and off and the main story is really starting to take flight. It's REALLY interesting, though at level 27, there are still many machines tacking me out. It's not so bad, sometimes I find when there's larger swarms to just deal with things as trial error. Really loving this one!

I also have Persona 5 and ME:A waiting for me, but I am going to behave myself and finish the above before I start them.
    Might as well keep talking about Exstetra here.

So, the game's been keeping to a fairly regular pattern so far. There have been two sorts of main-line quests, either tracking down a new party member or diving into an ancient temple to defeat the monster that's taken it over. The game bounces back and forth between the two of these, with the occasional sideline quest fitting in-between. At this moment, I have all but the eighth party member (currently in search of) and three out of four temples beaten. There are plenty of signs that my guys are not getting the entire story here, so I'm expecting a big twist fairly soon.

The game allowed me to choose between Easy and Normal modes at the start, and as it turns out, this is one of those games which, if it were brought to America, would have had its Easy mode rebranded as Normal. The best description would be that it's a classic-styled JRPG based heavily on dungeon-RPG design philosophy, and that includes difficulty curve.

Equipment enchantments are what's really winning the day, which I think is how the developers wanted it to be. Each piece of equipment, weapons or armor, can hold a certain number of enchantments, and each enchantment can be reapplied up to 10. Reset runes can be used to strip enchantments so they can be transferred to another item, but they're semi-rare (still looking for two more so I can properly swap out weapons). Enchantments can be things like defense boosts and ailment blockers/additives, or they can be more active things like Steal, Critical, Revenge, Payback (revenge for attack on someone else), Follow-Up, Take Down, etc. The fun part is, these tend to activate pretty regularly, and they stack with other things. So it's possible for one character to do a free follow-up attack after an ally's hit, boosted by a Critical, plus Poison, plus Paralysis, plus some other status ailment, plus stealing money or an item if it's a non-ranged attack. On a good battle, my archer girl with the four different counter-attack options may do as many as ten attacks in one round, when the command that I actually gave her was to heal.
    Persona 5 - Currently working my way through the second "case"

Legend of Dragoon - Working my way through the second disk and I am almost done

Andromeda - On the Desert Planet
    sig.gif

• JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    Huh. Thanks, Jeanne d'Arc? After fighting that guy Talbot five times I don't even get the satisfaction of killing him for good.
    Oh well. It's enjoyable in most respects, I have to say. Certain characters are overdone with their text inflections, but it does make them distinct.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    edited April 8
    JuMeSyn wrote: »
    Huh. Thanks, Jeanne d'Arc? After fighting that guy Talbot five times I don't even get the satisfaction of killing him for good.
    Oh well. It's enjoyable in most respects, I have to say. Certain characters are overdone with their text inflections, but it does make them distinct.

That's a great, forgotten PSP RPG there. I assume it wouldn't have aged well, but it was a lot of fun when it was new.

I've just seen the 3rd palace in Persona 5. The early Temperance scenes are everything. Makoto has a long ways to go if I'm supposed to find her likable at some point. No further comment.

EDIT: Of course, in the next cutscene after I post that, Makoto
    gains her persona, completely changes her personality, and she becomes a total badass.
    Been playing a lot of P5 the past week. At endgame, pretty much just grinding on the Reaper at this point to level. Apparently if you fight him during the flu season, there's like a 25% chance of him starting with Despair. After 3 turns, he'll die instantly. Cheapens the fight considerably, but it's a good way for me to grind up before the finale. Speaking of which, all confidants are done, so this is just me leveling to finish up the compendium.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited April 13
    I, on the other hand, am maybe midway through it. I beat the 4th palace tonight. I enjoyed that summer vacation opened up the daytime and evening activities considerably, though I don't understand from a gameplay standpoint why it took 50+ hours to open up like this. With 10 days left until the next deadline, all my social stats are at 3 except guts, which is at 4, and I've initiated all the confidants available.

I'm disappointed by the flat tone. Almost all of the dialogue is dry and serious, which gets dull during long gameplay sessions when so much of it reads like narration rather than teenagers hanging out or a story trying to entertain me. Yeah, Ryuji, it's a statue holding an orb for the 6th time, you don't need to freeze my game with some text bubbles to scream about it. This palace's "traps" are making things slow enough as it is. I miss the fun characters in Persona 4.

But I love that dungeons have character and aren't procedurally generated, and how the sim activities provide multiple benefits now. The overall story has potential even if I think it peaked during the 1st heist so far.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I'm about a palace ahead of 7th, which isn't saying much. The next one is fun for a bit but then falls off a cliff in the last quarter.

At the risk of starting a waifu war, I'm going monogamous this time with Makoto.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
    So switch came in with Breath of the Wild and my wife just asked me if I want to use it and I was like, NO got to many games going

Legend of Dragoon, Cosmic Star heroine, Aegis of Earth, Persona 5, and Andromeda are all my active games. I think I'm going to either beat a few or just say F-it and pass on a couple less promising ones for a bit
    sig.gif

Shaymin wrote: »
    I'm about a palace ahead of 7th, which isn't saying much. The next one is fun for a bit but then falls off a cliff in the last quarter.

At the risk of starting a waifu war, I'm going monogamous this time with Makoto.
    *high fives*

I ended up choosing her because the game seems to be pushing her as the 'canon' love interest, but that's all I'll say to avoid it spiraling out of control too.
    edited April 16
    I'm 7 days from catching up to the prologue's events in Persona 5. It's been a long, slow buildup and maybe my expectations are set too high due to that, but Atlus wouldn't spend the last 3 palaces crawling toward this plot point unless it's going to blow my mind, right? I have more questions than answers right now.

I've maxed the Strength and Moon confidants because the quickest way to my heart in an RPG is experience point boosts, and I enjoy persona fusion. I was too effective putting a brake on Guts after starting the Hanged Man confidant; all my social stats are at max except Guts, which is still at 4.
    Either I'm on the final boss of Exstetra, or the game's got a curveball left to it that it hasn't tried telegraphing just yet. The only continuation that makes sense is to storm the divine portal the boss came out of, but since that is officially certain death for my main character (as in, he was supposed to go in on his own as a human sacrifice, but fate and villainy intervened) I'm not sure how that would pan out now.

Oh well. Gotta actually beat this thing first.

edited April 17
    Started playing NieR: Automata as a way to take a break from the epic undertaking that is Persona 5. So far got a couple (joke?) endings and finished the first playthrough, ending A.

My initial thoughts upon playing through the prologue was that its going to be an incredible experience and the best game in the Nier/Drakengard catalogue. However as I've played my opinion on it has waned a bit, because I don't really like how empty and drab the world has been. Fights with normal enemies can be kind of hit and miss, and the game just doesn't play as smoothly as it appears to in trailers due to some of the forced perspective changes, camera, and controls not being quite as tight as say a Bayonetta. Boss battles on the other hand are quite awesome, they've typically been huge, quite involved, and the highlight of the experience so far. I do like the music and the mood that the various events elicit quite a bit, so hopefully further playthroughs shed a lot of light and emotion on what is obviously quite a selection of mysteries. The first conclusion was very much a "that's it?" type of moment for me. Speaking of which, minor spoiler theory here:
    The major plot twist of Automata had better not be to demonize the player for fighting against these machines because it is SO obvious that there is much more than meets the eye and that they have, at least 50% of the time, been docile and peaceful towards the player. The entire game has practically beaten that concept into my head at every turn.

Overall I think Automata has incredible promise to be a totally fulfilling, almost artistic journey, but I'm a bit hesitant on getting my hopes up just yet.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    I played Space Run, indie tower defense game.

It's a bit different than usual. Your ship is a field of hexes on which structures are placed. At the beginning, you place cargo onboard, and it can't be repaired during the delivery. During the delivery, your task is to build weapons, defenses and engines on free spaces to ensure the cargo is delivered as quickly and safely as possible. Enemy waves spawn in each of the six hex directions. Different cargo are mixed in to keep things interesting, like cargo that explodes when destroyed or saps the ship's power.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    I've been playing Persona 5 but also Ciel nosurge. My Japanese is not quite up to snuff for the latter but I'm still managing to get some idea what is going on in the universe. I don't really care for the other parts of this game, unfortunately. The peripheral conversations with Ion seem so superficial, whereas she at least has something worth caring about when going through her memories. Nelico is interesting, but I've only triggered a few of her convos. She comes by when Ion goes out, but not right away, and it's not like I'm constantly checking up on the game to wait for her to show up. I think it's still worth my time to go through this game so I can be better prepared for Ar nosurge when I get to that...