If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What are you playing today?

Comments

• JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    I do find Jeanne d'Arc quite good in most respects. The flexibility of the characters, the variety of maps, the relative speed with which battles are carried out, the presence of numerous voluntary-yet-rewarding maps and the relatively straightforward but effective narrative are all worth experiencing. I could quibble that history is remarkably silent on talking, sword-wielding toads helping out during the Hundred Years' War, but since Gutenberg only invented the printing press toward the end of that war it makes sense that smaller details like this one wouldn't have survived.
    My other item, Arelite Core, is somewhat less investing. I can handle the text being mundane, though it doesn't make plot points all that entertaining. Where the heck did slowdown come from, though? This is not a technically demanding game, so how does it suddenly start behaving like a shooter on the SNES in 1992 at points? Plus, it's a turn-based game, so slowdown has absolutely no benefit except stretching things out. Blargh.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    I got the first ending on Nier-Auto. I borrowed Tomb Raider:(Rise of the) from my buddy. I'm loving it. Once it's done I'm going back to Nier-Auto. Persona 5 will have to chill a bit longer.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Started on two games today.

First is Cosmic Star Heroine, because I didn't remember enough about the combat system to want to pick it up straight from the end of the factory level, where the Early Release version ended. Just got back to that point, so from here on out, it's all new to me. :)

Second is Final Fantasy VI Advance, because it's been a while since I got the SP out for a spin, and I needed something good after the mess that was Exstetra.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Ooh, FFVIA. I need to replay that.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Had to put down most games only due to getting several distracted by

SUPER ROBOT WARS OG MOON DWELLERS AND SRW: V.

sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Beat the first dungeon of Persona 5: Bleublanc Origins

I enjoyed that the team immediately pivoted from
    'Finally, Justice is done!' to 'Now lets hock this Moo we stole!' before they'd even bothered to confirm whether it was the real thing or not.
    I'm just past the big party split in Act I, and already finished with Locke's scenario. I hit my first real stumbling block with the battle versus Vargas, because when Sabin jumped in, I realized that I'd completely forgotten how to do the Blitz moves, and since I was in the middle of a commute at the time there was no chance to look it up. Turns out that I HAD remembered the combos for the first two moves, but forgotten that I needed to confirm it with A right after. >_<; First time I think I ever lost that battle...
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited April 27
    I'm around 7 hours into Nier Automata. The highlights so far have been where the game was bizarre just to be bizarre. While most of the humor isn't tickling me, the unabashed strangeness is amusing. I'm left unsure if I'm laughing for the reason the developers intended, but at least I'm amused every so often. Why is there an NPC who "assists" the protagonist by answering 4th-wall-breaking questions about why the game's interface is flawed? No clue, but it's amusing. I'm hitting up side quests at the moment, and my non-spoiler main quest progress is I'm at the 1st mandatory trip back to Bunker to check in after an important story reveal.

Despite the dev change, it has the Nier feel: not very fun, a lot of walking around, ugly graphics, and minor performance issues. On the plus side, the music and the weirdness.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    Things have gone kinda crazy in Ciel nosurge. I'm up to the 8th door out of 12. It's hard to imagine now how it'd be like going into Ar nosurge without the information I just learned.

Speaking of things being framed because of how they were introduced, I think Persona 5's beginning was an interesting way to start the story. I've kind of looked at all of my characters in a way because of it, especially as I'm doing that dungeon right now.
    Blasting through Cosmic Star Heroine. I've been doing it on Tourist mode for the most part, just to make sure I get through it all in a timely manner, but I may up the difficulty level a bit so I'll actually need to use more of the combat options than I have been.
    Took advantage of a few hours of car travel to work on Final Fantasy VI Advance. Just finished the big events at Narshe when my battery light went red. I guess tracking down Terra can wait for another day.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Dragon Quest Heroes II -- working on this for review, except for the part where Overwatch's Uprising event has been claiming more of my time. Still, I am enjoying this game even if it still feels very similar to the first one. Currently fighting a spoiler boss at the moment and it makes me want to pull my hair out.

Also been playing Dragon Quest IX when I am on transit and I am at the final boss! Though my levels are between 42-44 and the boss is kicking my butt. I will eventually beat this, but I tend to get so close to beating him and then he often gets a lucky critical hit or so and then boom goes my party. T_T
    I have 3 endings in Nier Automata now: 2 goofy bad ones, and the 1st real one. It's an ending in name only, in that the game is kind enough to be very clear that it's not over. I'm hesitant to call it a new game plus, but I've continued on and think the idea for the 2nd playthrough is both obvious and ingenious. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I've been playing Mario Kart 8 for the Switch with my brother. Thankfully (and somewhat surprisingly to hear my brother admit it), this is probably the only video game series that he's better than me at, which is healthy for our sibling dynamic. I tend to do slightly better on easy circuits; I only recall winning on a not-easy circuit once. We played 150cc until we got gold on everything, only repeating 3 of them. We played a bit of mirror then jumped quickly to 200cc where we're struggling. I think we played half of the 200cc circuits and got gold twice (both him, naturally). The two times I finished over him in 200cc , I ended up with silvers. It's been fun -- neither of us take this game seriously -- and it's good to have a game handy that he can crush me in.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    I recent started The Caligula Effect. Unfortunately, when the call for review volunteers when out I'd forgot it was developed by Aquria (who developed the Sword Art Online games, though not Lost Song apparently). The whole 600 party members looks like it's the same as it is in the Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization. You raise affinity with by repeatedly "talking" to them and *yawn*. It also follows Sword Art Online in having lots of skills but making them all really obtuse and hard to remember which ones are useful for anything.

There's some interesting story premise aspects, and it has at least been somewhat competently translated, but I'm not holding out much hope here. It also has some long load times and an absolutely atrocious frame-rate, and I'm already pretty bored of just having school-corridors for dungeon-crawling for the first couple of hours.

In good games, I hit September in Persona 5 and made the World Series with the Angels (where we lost to the Dodgers) in Out of the Park Baseball 18. I shouldn't really claim credit in the latter though, I just do GM things occasionally and let the AI do nearly all of the work.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Decided to pick up Atelier Sophie again after a month's hiatus, and it feels like I'm heading into the latter parts of the game, but my party is about the lightest-leveled group I've ever seen this far into an Atelier title, at a party average of level 18. My alchemy level is just past 40, for comparison.

My initial impression remains, that this is an excellent rehash of the PS2-era Atelier titles, but not a good follow-up to come after the Dusk games. That's all before the major graphical glitches and slowdown that plague the Steam port.
    Just hit the final boss of Atelier Sophie, and he hit back... very, very hard. Awesome music for the battle, but seriously, Gust? That guy is balanced for post-game synth-maxing, not general game progression.
    Put down Nier for a bit to play Final Fantasy XIV during the free login campaign that ended yesterday. My last subscription just ended in February, so I spent 4 days goofing around with whatever caught my fancy without much of an agenda or need to say "farewell" to Heavensward. I thought I'd end up running Alexander and Mhach a lot while it's still relevant, but instead I spent more time crafting than anything else. I don't know if it's having a market with real humans selling and buying real things on it, or if it's the best crafting system in any game I've played, but I really got into crafting in Heavensward.

I got endgame gear for leatherworker, which hit 60 last sub but was wearing trash, and I leveled carpenter from ~30 to 53. Finished the new anima quest for white mage and made a couple trivial gear upgrades. Leveled black mage from 56 to 60, which takes too long but Vault is still my favorite HW dungeon, so it was still fun. Ran Weeping City and Dun once each, and Alex 12 a couple times mostly for fun. Leveled weaver desynth enough that it should be ready for Stormblood, but I forgot to check the value I ended at.

That leaves me with 5 crafting classes ready for Stormblood crafting, white mage over-prepared, and black mage as a backup DPS option in case summoner becomes less fun. I also saved a full set of mid-50s caster gear in the off chance I want to give red mage a go. I'm feeling hyped for Stormblood after 3.5 part 2 ended on Heavensward's most ominous note since the 3.0 ending!
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited May 9
    Man, there was a Free Login Campaign that JUST ended? Wow, that really could have helped me out haha. I've been thinking about getting back into FF14, but there's really only one way I can enjoy playing it and thats at "Mhach" speed all times. On one hand I do miss all the kind people on FF14, and playing in the progression atmosphere where you can really push yourself. On the other though its a huge commitment of time and effort, and I've had a pretty good time this past ~6 months without the game in my life.

Its just a tough decision to know if thats the right path for me. There's not very many high profile releases pre-E3 this Summer, so Stormblood could be one of the few games available I'm interested in for the 4 month period between June-September. Again though its a lot of work to get back to where I'd like to be, from the sheer time commitment aspect to adapting to revamped classes and finding the right team of people, all of which combined seems kind of daunting if I'm not having an absolute blast. The free login could have been a good way to answer a very basic question if I still enjoy the game. Ah well though.

I am glad you had a good time with all those different activities 7th. Its too bad we didn't get to play much this past year, it was always fun just hanging with you when you were around.

In other news I'm nearing the end of Persona 5 now. I'm literally sitting outside of the final boss room, because I just don't want the game to be mentally finished, similar to what I'm doing with Berseria. That and I'd kinda like to fuse a few customized and powerful Persona's just for fun before sending it off. Will probably get around to that in the next couple of days and then start up Trails the 3rd.

• The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    I'm going Real Slow through Trails 3rd right now, since once I've beat it the like... 3-4 months of back to back incredible games I've had will finally come to an end, and I know the ol' post-good game ennui is gonna hit me real hard. I expect at least a week or so of having no idea what to do with my free time (lol jk ill probably re-sub FFXIV.)
    Tuesday commute, Final Fantasy VI Advance progress! I just got Ifrit and Shiva in the Magitek Factory.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    Apparently I didn't synthesize the right items in Ciel nosurge before Ion gave me the recipe for the things needed to trigger the ending. Guess what I'm working on now... I think it'll probably take at least another week to get the special vacuum tube (or whatever it is), and who knows if that's enough or if I'll need to synthesize more...

In the third chapter of Blue Reflection now. I like how leveling up is customized stat growth, leading to unlocking skills based on those stats. I also just unlocked item creation and fragment (which you can equip onto battle skills and affect their properties) strengthening. The game is still really easy and the plot is still pretty shallow. The girls are really cute though :smiley:

Started up Ys vs Sora no Kiseki, Adol's story/path. I find the one-on-one battle stages pretty easy but I really suck at the 2-by-2. Usually my AI partner gets knocked out pretty fast so I guess I suck at protecting him or her...whoops. Adol comes off as stupider than I think of him usually for some reason in this game. Everyone else so far has seemed to be relatively their character. Well, Lloyd came off a bit awkwardly, but I guess it was before they fully formed him in Zero and Ao.

Speaking of which, I made it to the final chapter of Ao no kiseki. Unless the ending is totally whack, I think Ao is going to win favorite Kiseki game I've played so far. It needs Zero (I think the party's attachment to a certain character would seem over the top without it) but not as much as SC needs FC. I hope to finish Ao this weekend and then start Cold Steel soon. It'll be strange playing the Cold Steel games in English after playing SC, the Third, Zero and Ao in Japanese. I know XSeed recently switched "Zane" to "Zin" but I still think "Jin" when I see him.

I'm not sure why I'm currently actively advancing in 4 Japanese games right now. I'm still reeling a bit from Persona 5. I'm not sure why my final play time was only 91 hours. I guess I didn't see the ending coming when it did and so my prediction of over 100 hours didn't happen lol. I had a bunch of S.Links at like rank 8 too...
    Into the 12th chapter of Cosmic Star Heroine. The story's still barreling along, but I think it rushed through Chapter 10 way too fast for a proper... well, let's just say that the situation could have used better pacing and more dramatic tension.
    edited May 16
    I'm a good stretch past ending B in Nier: Automata. After some climatic moments and cool gameplay ideas therein, it's been too snoozy for my taste. Plus there've been some minor pet peeves like being crippled for a long while, and a place where you get several side quests and a main quest objective all at the same time, all far away from you, but when you do the main objective it triggers an event that permanently cancels all those side quests you got 2 minutes ago. Not a fan of that, but I guess it saved me from having to teleport all around the map for the umpteenth time. It's also not the first time I've had side quests I wanted to do become abruptly unavailable in this game.

I'm ready for the game to end, but mostly I'm ready for it to pick up the pace again. If there's 10 more hours and none of it involves running across the ruins again, great. Otherwise I'm expecting to hit ending C soon, and I'm hoping there's not much after that. The story bits can be excellent, but they feel too far apart. I guess my biggest issue is the game's pacing and repetition, and it was particularly slow for the 5 hours I played tonight.
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    The free login could have been a good way to answer a very basic question if I still enjoy the game.

I am glad you had a good time with all those different activities 7th. Its too bad we didn't get to play much this past year, it was always fun just hanging with you when you were around.

Yeah, FF14 + full time employment meant I wasn't around very late at night like I was before! I'll be taking a week of vacation time whenever I come back after 4.0.

Honestly, not much new was added since you were last around, and you're decked in 270 gear from 2016 raiding. There's still nothing with a higher ilvl. The free login would be a chance for you to see if anything else catches your fancy, but it would be progressing other classes or goofing off with one of the game's many diversions.
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    Huh. Fire Emblem Echoes is definitely distinct. If I was playing the original NES version it might be more obvious whether this was yet another NES 'what a difference!' sequels, but even now the ability to look around environments and some kind of timing component to how I move on the map is unlike anything else in the series. Weapons don't even have durability here. We're definitely back to the older games' style of characters with lousy chances of gaining many stats, though.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited May 16
    You just finished the part of Automata that I didn't really like 7th. From C on is where I enjoyed Automata the most so hopefully that portion is just as good for you. As you imagined it'll probably take 10 hours or so to finish it from there, possibly more if you decide to invest in any side content along the way.

As for 14 I am somewhat excited for several things. It'll be cool if the NA servers move closer to home as I was further away from the Canadian one than most people in the US. It would be nice if Samurai is revealed to be a strong, synergistic class because I think it would be fun to push myself with something new like that. Seeing old friends for the first time in awhile would be nice too. For me though I'm just married to a specific lifestyle in FF14, and I don't know if I'll be happy returning to that. Finding a group of 7-8 Powerful Wizards who aren't Saruman on top of dedicating yourself to complete a sprinting journey to Mordor is hard work man. Regardless I hope we can play some together again and mess around with whatever was missed/whats new.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited May 17
    I have been noodling with a few games lately, mainly due to my 'oh shiny' syndrome. I have steadily been working my way through Dragon Quest Heroes II for review and I'm stuck on the second-to-last boss. I've tried calling out to other players but no bites, so I've been grinding a bit to try and make my life easier. Right now my party has been Heroine, Alena, Meena and Angelo. Sometimes I switch Angelo for Maya because Maya is love. Good game, if very mucht he same one you played when the first DQH released.

I've also been struggling to focus on one game so I've started Bravely Default (which I've put about two hours into and am enjoying) and Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice. I am also trying to make time to finish Harvest Moon: Skytree Village since I am on the last Skytree. Just taking a bit longer than I thought given where I left off.

And you know, Overwatch owns my soul most days.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    So currently playing: Super Robot Wars V, SRW: OG Moon Dwellers, Persona 5, and Fire Emblem Echo's

Currently Put down:
    Radiant Historia: Found this, for me, boring as all get out.
    Dragon Quest V: In the grind before the final boss and it was a filler game. Been playing my Nera marriage route.

Playing in Fits:
    Cosmic Star Heroine: This game was giving me dreams, which is awesome but with how little I played that means it's really good but I don't wanna burn out on it.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited May 23
    I've been playing Mass Effect: Andromeda for the last several days and I'm enjoying it more than expected. BioWare permanently set my expectations lower for its games after I was at least a bit disappointed with all of them after Mass Effect 2. The open zones are working for me and its fun watching viability tick up as I complete quests. I'm also digging how you can do so much of the content in any order you want, and almost all of it is optional, so I can just do whatever I feel like -- that's key to making an open world game work for me.

I have the first 3 planets at 100% viability with all important tasks like architects complete. I have no feel for how far into the game I am, but spent 2 days completing Voeld for fun, so I guess I'm not too far in. The writing is back up to what I used to take for granted from BioWare -- this is the best writing since ME2 and might be better written than ME2 -- which covers for the fact that the story's climaxes thus far have been obvious. Even if I, the player, yawned at the reveal at the kett temple, at least the characters reacted in a way that pulled me in and kept me engaged.

It's still technically shaky even with all the patches, and I don't like the interface at all. Why isn't there an option to toggle "I want to ask ALL THE QUESTIONS" in long NPC conversations so I don't have to hold a direction and push a button every 10 seconds? Let me watch it like a TV show. The menu font is still too small to comfortably read on my 42" TV, and the contextual auto-cover in combat (with choosing which shoulder to look over being manual. Ugh!) is awful. It's not a good shooter.

I've settled into being an infiltrator after starting straight engineer. Cover issues aside, it's fun zapping people and picking them off with a couple headshots from a scoped carnifex. Guess I'm headed to planet 4 tonight!
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    In an attempt to clear my backlog, I restarted Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest. Rather than do my norm and stick with Classic, I decided to just go Phoenix Mode so I can burn through the game. It's worked well, with me currently at Chapter 22 after a few days of playing. Though my fears were founded upon playing this mode...I'm using my units like they were disposable, and just bum rushing enemies. It's the only sound strategy in this mode IMO, simply because outside of a few mandatory turn requirement missions, there's no real way to get a game over unless all units die in the same turn (unlikely). I'll be completing this tomorrow and will be buying Birthright sometime down the line. I'd get it immediately, but I have to preorder Stormblood, among other things.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."