If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What are you playing today?

Comments

• flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    there's no real way to get a game over unless all units die in the same turn
    I thought you still lose if your leader unit dies.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    there's no real way to get a game over unless all units die in the same turn
    I thought you still lose if your leader unit dies.

Nope
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • JagosaurusJagosaurus New Member Full Members
    Dragon Quest V is one of my favorite games of all time. Finally booted up Dragon Warrior IV today.

As you'll notice by the title, I am playing the NES version, emulated on my Android. I am very surprised at how nice it looks on the small screen. I have 2 kiddos now, and I think playing RPGs in bite size chunks with save states will help out and allow me to experience more RPGs! Any one with kids will know time is short.

I am not too far in, but I can tell I'm going to enjoy it! Where does it rank in the series for you?
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    DQIV is my favorite DQ game, mainly because it's shorter and well-paced. I also love the characters.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    OMG LOVE PERSONA 5 SO MUCH.

And totally going to date Futaba first play through (I do not go harem route)
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited May 31
    I played enough Mass Effect: Andromeda to finish off the Movie Night quest. Beyond worth the 10 minutes of load times and flight animation screens, and the perfect final cutscene from the game.

After leaving it for a couple of months, I got back into Overwatch Sunday and Monday during the US holiday. It was weird. I had a long stretch Monday where I was getting the gold or silver damage medal every single match. It didn't matter if I was a DPS or a healer. EVERY MATCH. Plus other medals. For the first time ever, I got all 5 golds as Zenyatta, which is insane. I was always the best or 2nd best person on my team, and it was going to my head...

...until I kept playing Tuesday on a non-holiday. I guess the holiday brought out the super casuals, and now things are back to normal. Which is good. I think something is amiss when I'm consistently the best person on my team, and I'd rather not carry every match on my back. I did well yesterday, but wasn't getting 3-4 golds in over half the games anymore. I'm looking forward to the new season starting tonight and further putting me in my place with better competition and teammates. I got some solid experience with Symmetra and Orisa over the last few days and look forward to trying them out in real matches.

Unfortunately, my brother played co-op with me Sunday and sounds done with the game. My brother, who isn't amazing at shooters either and has only played Overwatch maybe a total of 10 hours, was usually one of the better players on our teams, and we lost a long string of matches in a row in Quick Play when we were stuck with the same bad teammates for a long time. We ended up quitting to requeue with new people, but it soured him on the game and he wasn't having fun.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited June 3
    Progress is slowly being made in Final Fantasy VI Advance, though the biggest reason for the delay is that I'm simply not that stuck in commutes as often as I used to be. Less time on the trains or buses, etc.

Just finished the Floating Continent scenes, and Celes has woken to a terrible new world.

--Oh, forgot to mention, but in the fight against the Atma Weapon (when it uses the Tornado attack to reduce everyone's HP to double-digits) I had my first Desperation Attack of this walkthrough. Given the situation, having Terra use Riot Sword for upwards of 7000 damage (killing the boss) was a welcome happening.

Other item of note: Kefka's "I HATE HATE HATE HATE YOU!" speech doesn't work as well in Japanese, since it's basically one long stuttered cuss word in the original text..
    Pushed Final Fantasy VI Advance up to the point where I was able to launch the Falcon from Daryl's Tomb.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Been playing Trails the 3rd and Utawarerumono off and on for awhile now.

On the Trails front, I've made it to the end and Im honestly ready for it to be over. Unfortunately, due to how many doors were unaccessible the first time you visit them, I ended up compiling an annoyingly large collection to go through before entering what the game is suggesting may be a point of no return. It sucks because a lot of these stories are fairly long and involve characters I don't really care to see side stories about, but at the same time theres some really fascinating tales in there that I dont want to miss as well. On the whole I've really enjoyed the game up until this point, and due to how amazing this year has been in gaming I'm actually glad that this was more of a dungeon crawler and less an epic world traveling experience that Trails is known for. I can see how that would throw people off though for sure.

As expected, Utawarerumono is extremely similar to Tears to Tiara 2, which is a great thing from my perspective. It might actually be slower than Tears too, given how slice-of-lifey the story beyond the first 30 minutes or so has been. Most of the battles thus far have been extremely simple and feel like a down grade on the whole in terms of complexity and scale compared to Tears. I'm still enjoying the game though, and Im interested to see where the game goes. Utaware offers a great way to relax and unwind in a year where most of the games have been super immersive.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited June 7
    I've been playing some Pokemon Sun here and there, but lately I've devoted most of my gaming time to Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. I have really been enjoying the heck out of it! I'm currently in Act 4 and am fairly far along, having left Sage's Hamlet on Celica's side and having recruited Zeke and defeated Jerome on Alm's side.

It looks like there has been some retconning in the story, or possibly since Gaiden was a Famicom game, a justifiable expansion. Since I'm not done, I'll hold off going into details, but they seem to strengthen its ties to the other games in this FE universe, and I rather like that.

Despite being based on the oddball of the series, Shadows of Valentia feels like it takes some the best of older FE games and combines it when the best of newer entries. Complex maps, a focused story, fantastic music, a great cast of characters, and fantastic voice acting. The unique game play mechanics are really neat as well. Dungeons are simple, but it's still a fun take on the usual Fire Emblem formula. It took a little getting use to the lack of a weapons triangle, emphasis on terrain, and the way magic work in this game, but it's not really that jarring. Heck, I'm even liking Mila's Turnwheel. I use it only when dying in a dungeon (I don't want to start the dungeon all over again just because I lost one character) or when one of those darn witches warps and kills someone with low Res. Witches are just cheap. Otherwise it's permadeath for me. The animations are so detailed and fluid compared to the prior entries on the 3DS.

To emphasize on the full voice acting, this is something I've been wishing for in Fire Emblem for a long time. It really adds much life and personality to the characters, even if there are fewer support conversation in Echoes than there are in both Awakening and Fates. They even went as far as to cast some actors from the Texas pool in addition to California, such Chris Patton (Kliff), Caitlyn Glass (Mathilda), and Monica Rial (Mila). The actors and the voice director Wendee Lee have really outdone themselves!

Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

Wow didn't realize Wendee Lee is now a director. I remember her from many an anime.
    sig.gif

• maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    Been playing FFXV lately; I"m gearing up for the end.

Any suggestions on leveling and getting gil, guys? I wanna make sure I have plenty of potions until the end, and proly have the ingredients for one of the best stat boosting meals.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    edited June 6
    Wow didn't realize Wendee Lee is now a director. I remember her from many an anime.
    She's been doing VDR for many years: http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/voice-directors/Wendee-Lee/
    What I find very interesting is that she has directed most of the Tales games released in the west since Legendia.
    Bravely second...

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Leveling, there's always the Expcast trick with magic. Get it to 96, eat the lasagna, equip as many Moogle Charms as you can, and toss them once per battle at enemies. You'll get a ton of exp for it. Repeat. Best use on low level enemies near Hammerhead. But make sure you stay at the expensive hotel in Altissia, it's 3x exp and will guarantee those needed levels. Gil...just sell anything not needed for upgraded equipment quests (save for the Rare Coins, those are needed for the Expcast trick).
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited June 7
    I'm putting down Dark Rose Valkyrie until E3 is over so I can focus on getting through Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception first (and spend some time with FF14). Short version about Dark Rose Valkyrie: it's terrible. All of the hope that I had for Compile Heart after Fairy Fencer F is well and truly gone, they've fallen back into the previous problem of just shoving systems on top of systems without any care in making them understandable. The game is not remotely fun to play and the story is simply mediocre at best. All the 3D visuals are pretty rubbish as well. The only positive I could give it is that the character art is pretty nice. Probably won't get a full review because I've simply got better things to do, but there'll be a Deep Look a bit after E3, need to play it a few hours more to justify everything.

Speaking of Utawarerumono, I've finally found a bit where the plot gets interesting. Why it had to spend twelve+ hours on mostly irrelevant stuff (five consecutive lengthy event scenes about making sweets?!) and put only 4 or 5 battles in that time I don't know, but now that some external forces are finally driving some plot forwards it's gotten a lot more interesting. Haku
    (and the world's)
    backstory is nuts. It's still definitely a slower game than Tears 2. Also not sure if the twins are deliberately off-putting or a concerning holdover from Aquaplus' eroge roots...
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    I'm putting down Dark Rose Valkyrie until E3 is over so I can focus on getting through Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception first (and spend some time with FF14). Short version about Dark Rose Valkyrie: it's terrible.

Wow, its hilarious you mention that. I literally just rented Dark Rose Valkyrie, breaking what was probably a 10 year self-imposed ban on anything with Idea Factory/Compile Heart in the title. If a game had either of those two names associated with it, I refused to even consider playing it no matter what. Then I saw this one which looked neat, and the description said that a Tales character designer worked on it, and that it had Danganronpa/Lost Dimension style of interrogating and searching for traitors. So I selected it for rental because why not, only to discover a little later that it was a joint effort between the two companies and wondering how I didn't notice that key piece of information before. So now my 10 year embargo is about to end on a game that I was hoping had a little bit of promise. Hopefully its not the absolute sludge I've played from them before, but you're impression of the title does not bode too well.
    edited June 13
    I started Deus Ex: Mankind Divided today and played for about an hour. I had read it stumbled through the start, but I wasn't expecting it to be so uncompelling. I stopped to refill my tea and just don't really feel like playing it more. The tutorial mission reminded me of the flaws in the series' gameplay rather than its strengths, and the story drops you in what feels like the 2nd episode of the 4th season if a TV show where nothing makes sense, but the dialogue is frantic and sounds dire. Then you wake up in your apartment for the slow, dull "walk around your apartment complex and click everything" sequence that western games used to think was awesome and now no one does anymore because it's not.

Not a compelling start at all. And my inventory is already full. And it crashed once and I lost 5 minutes of walking around the apartment and had to do it again.
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Yeah, MD is pretty rough. There's a few good side missions but the main story is a huge waste of time that doesn't go anywhere, and the characters people liked in HR have all been replaced with the dullest cast imaginable.
    Update on Final Fantasy VI Advanced: World of Ruin, with Sabin, Edgar, Setzer, Cyan, Gau, Relm, Strago, and Terra recovered. Next up is Shadow before I go rescue Locke from his own sense of adventure, then on to unlock Mog's hidey-hole, pick up the optional stuff, and see about taking on Kefka.
    So after bouncing a few games I have decided to go back to SRW V. And there are two things which makes me excited

One is the fact it has some of the FMP stuff from the novels which were never made into a Novel which allows me to continue a bit.

Two Cross Ange seems like an amazing Anime and i really wanna watch it.
    sig.gif

I got Code Name S.T.E.A.M. for Father's Day this year. Currently halfway through the first chapter, on the park map with the constantly respawning Hounds.
    edited June 21
    I started Drakengard 3 yesterday and I'm on the 2nd stage of the 3rd chapter. It's exactly what people explained it to be: vulgar, offensive dialogue with an unexplained setting and no backstory or plot development, coupled with an awkward button-mashing battle system with major framerate and camera issues. I'm enjoying the dialogue a lot. Overall, the writing reminds me of Nier more than Nier Automata did, and I like that. I don't know if Mikhail counts as a child character, but if he does he's awesome for a "kid" and his dialogue with Zero leaves me the most entertained.

So far the combat isn't as bad as I was expecting, but maybe it gets worse later.
    I'm about the same point you are from when I played it, if you take it as each of the sisters were where the alters from Drakengard were placed then it makes some sense
    sig.gif

Into the fourth chapter of Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. now, and I may actually be getting used to this style of tactical game (maybe, eventually). The tiny alien things called Nettlers are a pain in the smurf, though
    Up to chapter 44ish (not sure off the top of head) in SRW:V. Loving the game so far, managed to get a few achievements. Lots of aces and super aces, Gotten 2 silver emblems and one gold. Not sure what those do however.

Plots is trudging along back through Space Battleship Yamato 2099 since I've gone that route primarily cause I really enjoy Real Robots to Super Robots. Most robots are 50%+ for load out.
    sig.gif

edited June 25
    The fourth sea battle in Act 6 of FE Echoes is nuts. Those dagons are super powerful and they can take a lot of hits. I finally managed to beat the map through a lot of grinding. Got a lucky critical with the White Wings' Triangle Attacks, too.

Edit-- I attempted the Thabes Labyrinth and got Alm killed on the 8th basement floor. It's very difficult and I get the feeling the game may be trying to tempt to buy EXP/Overclass DLC. I should be able to escape the dungeon and repeat until my characters are a high enough level. I should also be more frustrated with starting over, but instead I'm just determined. I'm also hugely intrigued by the lore found in this dungeon.
    This is a bit of an odd way to tell Grima's origins, but I'm so fascinated! And there's still the story of the first Exalt of Ylisse if Intelligent Systems wants to get a game out of it. After all, there are a few implications that Grima is related to the earth dragons in some way, but this backstory only mentions the use of divine dragon's blood in Grima's creation. This would explain why Grima has wings and Duma's resemblance to him (maybe it was his blood the alchemist used? How would he get it in the first place?), but it doesn't explain the note in the artbook saying he descended from the earth dragons, or his connections to the Dragon's Table and the Shield of Seals.
    Bravely second...

yeah that floor is crazy, I'm actually starting a new game where I level all the villager characters to max level before promoting them
    sig.gif

edited June 25
    I finished the lost verses of Drakengard 3 tonight and have a grind ahead of me to unlock Branch D. Depending on how quickly the grind goes, this could be the end for me. The gameplay just isn't fun enough to rerun Accord's requests 70 times. I looked online to check the best levels to grind and I'll give it a whirl when the Bellator prelims are done.

I'm only playing it for the dialogue, and enjoyed that through the end of Branch A. Branch B, C, and the lost verses were all more serious, focusing on a story that made less and less sense as it built to Branch D rather than on the absurd party banter I liked. Some of these boss fights have been awful, no thanks to the bad controls for Mikhail. I keep feeling this shouldn't have been a video game. The gameplay is all a drag and it would have made a better anime.

EDIT: That wasn't so bad. Thanks to looking up the best way to make gold, it only took a little over an hour of grinding, and I had a physically tiring day and didn't mind zoning out for an hour. Unfortunately, I still can't open Branch D so I must need to do one of the Accord's requests I skipped. Looking that up now and hoping it's not too impossible. I stopped doing the Book Club requests because they got too hard.
    edited June 26
    Hopefully its not too bad for you 7th. Even as someone who hated the game while playing it I don't think it was all that taxing time wise to unlock all the pertinent endings. I missed Bellator too since I didn't want to do the PPV, and I heard it was a wild night. Hopefully that was a good weekend for you!

Been playing Dark Rose Valkyrie for the past few days now and I have to say, I don't actually hate it just yet. The save state says I'm on Chapter 3 right now, and I think I have a little over 11 hours played thus far. Still have yet to make it to the interrogation portion that was a selling point, hopefully thats fun. I've been relatively confused about the inner workings of the systems in play here, but I think I've lucked into a solid groove for figuring out how to do fights. The fast-forward option for random battles is appreciated and I don't feel totally lost. Even though the random fluff missions can be pretty damn vague, I somehow figured them out where to go and what to do without too much time down the drain. While DRV does have a ton of problems, I expected it to be complete pond scum, and because its not that bad I'm having an alright time coasting along with the fairly likable visual novel aspects.

Of course that also brings me to Utawarerumono which I've been playing almost every night for awhile now before going to bed. After the battle before arriving in the capital, it feels like there has been non-stop mundane slice-of-life segments which struggle to keep my attention for more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time. They're a great sleep aid though, thats for sure. While I am down on the game right now, I do like the presentation and know that once the actual content of the story picks up that I'll be hooked on it again. It'd be nice if more visual novels could improve on their pacing though. Danganronpa and 999 clearly demonstrate its more than possible to keep the reader engaged throughout without becoming completely engrossed in food or teasing for hours on end.
    So in my between game funk though I have a couple of games I'm closish to beating, Fable III being one of them and not exactly a hard game to beat
    sig.gif