If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What are you playing today?

1473474475476477479»

Comments

• jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I was sick yesterday, so I got to put 4 or 5 hours into Valkyria Revolution... surprisingly it's not the complete abomination that I was expecting. That's not to say it's good, but it seems like a perfectly average 3/5 JRPG. I'm a huge Valkyria Chronicles fan (VC1 is top 5 all time and VC3 around the top 10) so I've been down on Revolution since it was announced: an action RPG that ditches the art style and setting of the earlier games. After all these years SEGA finally makes a console Valkyria game and it's not another epic SRPG? I was upset.

After playing it, I'm kinda glad this isn't a successor to VC1 because they obviously didn't have the budget to pull that off. Revolution is a "B-tier" RPG: animations are stiff, art is muddled, load times even on the PS4 are noticeably long (glad I passed on the Vita port), and while there is a "world" to explore it is tiny. However, as I got past my expectations for a Valkyria game, I've begun to enjoy it more. The characters are just okay so far, but I really want to see where the story goes. The battle system plays like a more methodical version of Final Fantasy 15; every time you start an encounter there is strategy in whether you use a grenade or attack from a distance with gunfire before approaching and using melee weapons. The more enemies you kill on a map, the more susceptible the remaining enemies are to loosing their confidence and retreating. I got to the end of a map where I had mopped the floor with the enemies up to that point and there was one sizable base left to capture. Rather than just run in, I found their commander and shot him from a distance and the remaining 15 soldiers just ran away. It was kinda awesome.

So for $40, I don't feel too bad about this game. Honestly, if the Valkyria franchise were more of a going concern with consistent releases I wouldn't have a problem with an experimental spin-off. After this game bombed in Japan, I hope SEGA goes back and actually makes a strategy Valkyria game and doesn't just decide that Valkyria is dead because this 3/5 spin-off didn't sell.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited June 30
    I got to the final boss of Drakengard 3, quickly realized that there must be a YouTube video out there to make it less impossible, found a video, and still couldn't beat it after a couple hours of trying. I don't think I've given up yet. My problem is I get bored and lose focus before a late part I keep failing at, and I tend to do better on a fresh attempt than trying repeatedly, so maybe I'll pick at it every now and then before tossing it on the completed games thread.

I started Pillars of Eternity because I bought Tyranny and Torment during the Steam sale and don't want 3 CRPGs in my backlog. Objectively, it's a big step up from the games it draws inspiration from, and that's a pleasant surprise. The character customization and class options are excellent. I almost created a Chanter just because it sounded like the most awesome bard ever, but went with a Paladin because it sounded awesome too and I liked that you get stat bonuses for making your behavior match your beliefs. I wish classes other than Priest could follow a god, though, after seeing how frequently that comes up in conversation.

The game's still a slow-paced stroll through long segments of talking followed by long segments of combat, to the point where each wears out its welcome before moving on. I guess that's too much a part of what makes a CRPG a CRPG, but it's why I don't enjoy these games more and don't play them often. The writing's great and combat is fun, but both would be better if they came in shorter sessions or moved less slowly.

I finished Act 1, spent what seemed like forever walking around a large city and talking to everyone, got bored, hired some prostitutes (you get Survival and Resolve bonuses for hiring the extremely well endowed male...), left without doing the main story, went to Dyrford Village, and finished all the quests there probably a bit undergeared and underleveled. Came close to dying to a bunch of spiders, expected to die at an ogre, but thankfully the ogre was nice and I didn't have to fight him. He would have destroyed me.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited July 4
    More Dark Rose Valkyrie for me. I'm still having an alright time with the game, and that kinda physically pains me to say about something these developers produced. I've come across several strange wrinkles though. For starters, I went to go fight a boss at the beginning of Chapter 5 after the team recovers from a big battle. The boss was a giant Octopus-like creature, and somehow I ended up 1-shotting the thing with Coo and Asahi's Cooperation Art. Upon battle completion I was then given 11-15 levels out of nowhere for everyone on the team, boosting my allies' levels up to the mid 40s and now the experience I get from normal battles everywhere else is so out of balance with what I need that there is zero reason to fight normal encounters for awhile.

Then later on I was tasked with the second "Interrogation" segment which proved to be a frustrating ordeal because I wanted to succeed and get it right just to see what would happen. Plus these just seem very rare. It turns out that not only do they gave you a different topic upon reloading, but wow was I ever unlucky here. After finally asking 19 out of 20 possible questions in the interview I was convinced the whole team was telling the truth and no suitable candidate could be found. Then that 20th question revealed the lying statement to me. Its just cruel and unusual that you cannot actually figure anything out unless you get lucky and randomly pick both the 1/20 lying statement AND a statement or two relating to the lie that allows you to spot the contradiction. So yeah, I don't like this system at all, it just might be the worst thing about the entire game even though it looks and sounds really cool as a concept.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Got to a major plot point in The Alliance Alive, and now have the entire cast in my party as well as a boat to go around in. So I spent the next two hours of game time just seeing what I could find in nooks and crannies of the map instead of going to the next expected destination. The challenge level is... a bit higher than I should be trying for at the moment, but I've learned a ton of new tricks. My lead guy has most of the shield techniques at this point, I think.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Been playing Criminal Girls 2, and although the premise is still similar to the first (although no animel themed girls this time) it's a much more in depth character team then the first. Also they changed a few systems and THANK GOD you don't have to use the back touch pad onthe vita.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    Horizon Zero Dawn. Pretty good.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    Valkyria Revolution is a weird thing. Combat is kind of fun, but unless I make a point to fiddle around with free missions the cut scenes dwarf it in game time. That means I have to focus on someone who makes for the least engaged Grim Reaper I've ever heard, a woman who seems to have breasts the size of her head and only wears a jacket (her back must be in awful shape), a lot of pontificating that doesn't get the job of filling in the world adequately done but does take up a lot of time, and some hijinks that really don't work.
    Oh, and now that I look at the in-game glossary, I see that the nation of Jutland supposedly has 800,000 people and decided to invade the Ruz empire with 69,000,000. I don't care if you've got Rommel, Lee, Napoleon and Scipio on your team, that's not a numerical imbalance which can be survived.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    Just started up Mana Khemia: Student Alliance. Using my Vita to play the game and it looks terrible on a Vita screen. Or maybe the game was always so muddy in terms of graphics. Otherwise the game seems good so far.
    Never having played Sonic the Hedgehog on Game Gear before, I kind of liked the unique aspects to its areas. I didn't like some other things, such as a ridiculous programming glitch that lacks a third digit when collecting rings that reverts to 0 when Sonic gets 100 of them. Or the irritating fact that, when hit, Sonic instantly loses all rings and can't collect them again. Also the bizarre decision to make extra lives not reappear if you get killed in a stage. Including the programming error of not being able to see the score except when a stage ends - sure it only matters for getting extra lives, but I like to see the score if it's there, dagnabit.
    Back to Valkyria Revolutions to see if the least-intimidating Grim Reaper I've ever seen becomes something interesting.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    edited July 20
    I didn't want to start a new game I might not finish before my upcoming FF14 sub, so I've been playing Overwatch for the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure this game is worth it, at least in competitive matches. The community has enough toxic people and throwers that easily a third of my 200+ matches had at least one in the game, whether or not it was on my team. The broken rating system means I'm stuck in high bronze where there are a lot of terrible people and a lot way above my skill, which defeats of the purpose of having a rating. Trying to team up with better players means you only face other teams which usually also have better players, upping the challenge even at the same rating. People regularly talk of having multiple accounts, and I teamed up with a smurf for a while in an attempt to break into silver, leading to one of my longest winning streaks. And in almost every match, my team won't go 2-2-2 and I end up healing or playing Orisa, which I can enjoy, but not every single match, and it's annoying to heal a bad team that won't adjust.

I'm not really sure what Blizzard is going for here. The reporting system is known to do nothing. They have my money and I won't buy loot crates. When the game clicks it's a blast, even in a close loss, but most of my games were soul draining. There are obvious solutions to this that Blizzard isn't interested in doing.
    I think it is more that it takes time to really implement anything. I've been playing a lot of Overwatch recently too and honestly I have seen where people are getting banned from the game for their attitude, at least on PC. Not sure which system you're playing it on
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

edited July 20
    PC. In the last couple weeks I saw 6 or more diamond players who had lost over 1500 SR and were in bronze, all throwing matches to lower their ranking more. I can't imagine people throwing that many matches, getting reported (I reported all of them regardless of whether they were on my team or not), and still playing and throwing matches if Blizzard cared to stop such things.

And that's just the small handful of diamonds. There were a whole lot more people throwing than that. Symmetra teleporters at the edge of cliffs, Mei ice walls on her own team. I once had a group of 4 on my team who all went healers then spawn-camped the opposing base while bragging in match chat that they were losing on purpose. These things are not hard to detect and stop.

On the less objective side, of the three times this year I've spent a while playing Overwatch, this has been the most unbalanced skillwise in competitive, and the most I've seen 4 people lock DPS characters and refuse to change to a team capable of winning. That's what Quick Play is for. The community is mostly horrible gamers/people, and I want to play the game in a group of 12 people who know the game and are all trying to win. I don't think that's unfair to expect, and the rating system isn't working.
    I've actually won on a map with 4 and 2 tanks. It can be done.
    sig.gif

Ha! I've never seen that work in competitive, but I believe you. Usually what ends up happening is I'll go solo healer, someone else goes DVa, and the DPS characters don't get enough picks for us to remotely hold a line or stay alive. I have had some awesome matches solo healing too, but it doesn't usually work out that way.
    What the hell, Valkyria Revolution? Something went wrong and my side weapons (guns and grenades) weren't working, plus magic was... maybe working? Hard to tell, damage was accruing for some spells but the usual animation effects were missing. I've seen other bugs in it before (someone let one slip past where battle music keeps playing even after returning to headquarters), but this was a legitimate problem instead of an annoyance.
    Well, not being able to actually snipe because weapons just aren't effective past a certain perimeter - that's also a problem. I have to surmise it was intentional on the developers' part though. Nonfunctional weaponry isn't an intentional choice.
    Still, I'm approaching the end hopefully. What a freaking mess this game is.
    I resubbed to Final Fantasy XIV on 7/22 and took off work until 8/1 to bang out Stormblood. Accomplishments in those 10 days: finished Stormblood, switched to Astrologian and love it, cleared Susano Ex and got the AST weapon, cleared Omega, leveled Goldsmith to 70, have Weaver and Summoner at 67 and 68, and got my two desynths up to 300 and 290. Made several million gil too, but I stopped focusing on that since I don't buy anything. Other than getting into endgame crafting and leveling other crafters, I've done everything I really wanted to do in Stormblood except the other Ex primal. The rest of this sub should be pretty relaxed.
    Felt like an RTS fix and so Downloaded my copy of Dawn of War II from Steam, near the end but I'm donig bonus missions for more loots and levels.
    sig.gif

I spent the last two days going through the old game closet back home and checking to see what worked before selling it to the used game stores. Neither my brother nor I live there anymore, and it's not feasible to take it all with us, so it felt better to let others have a chance at it.

So, in no particular order, I...

-died against the final boss in Illusion of Gaia
    -explored Bloody Mary's castle in Terranigma
    -helped my nephew through the first bit of Lufia 2
    -watched that same nephew wander around the Obelisk in Breath of Fire
    -forgot where to go next from the lost city of Pedan in Seiken Densetsu III
    -died horribly against the final boss in Romancing SaGa 3
    -found that my old copy of Romancing SaGa 2 no longer has its save files
    -ran around the bowels of the space station in Secret of Evermore
    -went all the way through the Mana Fortress in Secret of Mana, got to the Dark Lich battle, only for my daughter to crawl up and pull at the reset button at exactly the wrong time
    -later on, taught my niece how to play Secret of Mana
    -got captured by someone in Star Ocean, but otherwise no idea what the heck was happening
    -showed my nephew MegaMan IV for GameBoy, let him mess with it awhile
    -when nephew was gone, completed 50% of MegaMan IV for GameBoy in a single sitting
    -got lost in the Iron Tower of (formerly) Vector in Final Fantasy 3
    -got fed up with the Lunarian tunnels in Final Fantasy 2
    -realized that the final boss of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was nastier than I remembered
    -started up the final map of Ogre Battle, then remembered how longer that sucker took to complete and turned off the SNES

It was a nice trip down memory lane.
    Well for FFMQ ... the last boss can be beat in a single move. Cast life on him and he dies in a single turn
    sig.gif

• maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    I just started Persona 5 today. Woa..

The plan after that is to start trimming down the backlog. Got way too many games sitting there.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    My Final Fantasy XIV sub ended yesterday, this ending 180 days of subbed play for me over the last 4 years. I finished all the critical tasks on my to-do list in the first week and a half thanks to taking time off from work to play. For the rest of the sub, I spent a lot of time leveling crafting classes, which I enjoy, and got 5 of them level capped. If I wanted to, I could probably cap the next 3 when I resub again and finally be an omni-crafter.

After writing that I don't care about making money, I couldn't resist making overpriced goldsmith items that were selling well on the market, turned a couple dozen clusters into materia VI for sale, and ended the sub 23 million gil up from where I started without even making any money in the last week.

I don't like leveling combat jobs, but the dungeons in Stormblood were cool and I enjoyed leveling Summoner to 70, though I didn't have much need to use it after that. I leveled White Mage to 70 almost entirely with roulettes. This let me clean all healer gear out of my inventory. I also took Red Mage to level 61 in the Palace of the Dead, which was fun in bursts. My goal is to eventually cap all casting classes so I can clean out all the caster gear I hoarded, though I've never liked Black Mage.

I downed the other Ex primal and ended the sub at ilvl 321 AST and maybe 313 SMN without buying any crafted gear for them. I always enjoyed rerunning Susano Ex and ended up with 35 totems... and never saw the Summoner weapon drop. Raids are my favorite content in FF14, so I'll probably resub next year when the 2nd raid is out, hoping it's as wild and fun as Weeping City was last year.
    Getting back into Code Name S.T.E.A.M., and I think I'm finally getting used to combat. Also happy that the Japanese version of the game keeps the English VA, because it's so much more interesting and flavorful than the Japanese text.

Currently sneaking through the sub-basement of the White House in order to find the Necronomicon before the alien horde does, because it's just that kind of oddly awesome.
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Played the Ys VIII demo last night and I think that was a good RPG demo. It distilled the Ys experience of exploration, boss battles and rad music into a tight 30 minute package. Anyone on the fence should give it a try.

Actually, I played the demo while I was waiting for Everybody's Golf to install. That is such an odd experience; I don't think I've ever played a sports game that doesn't operate solely through a menu system. In case you haven't been following it, this iteration of Everybody's Golf incorporates an open world aspect where you can wander around a island full of golf courses, but you can also go fishing or race golf carts. I just played a couple of tournaments, so the island is still locked off to me, but it's weird to have to talk to a character to enter a tournament. Seems like a lot of extra work for the developers when most people buying it will just want to play golf. Who knows, maybe the strange extras will be fun.

Also, the game seems like its added even more RPG elements; It's like an Elder Scrolls game where every time you do an action well, you level it up. Hit a good drive, the driver levels up. Get an approach close to the pin, the control (separate from the power) of your wedge goes up. Looks like it may be a really grindy... golf game? Weird.
  • paulhar1s50npaulhar1s50n HongkongFull Members
    I'm currently playing Dying Light. It is an open world first person survival horror action-adventure video game. Im enjoying this game a lot as it is challenging and fun at the same time.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    I squeezed just about everything I can out of Ever Oasis. I have all of the residents and all of the Bloom Booths are completely upgraded. There's minor things I can do like getting rare bosses to spawn in the Hieroglyph Labyrinths and synthesizing new weapons, but I really don't see a need to. Ever Oasis is definitely a fun little game, if a tad repetitive.

Now onto my #SRPGSeptember game.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• StormJayneStormJayne SingaporeFull Members
    I'm currently playing Nier:Automata on my pc..

and on my phone. im planing to play this new game called "Ragnarok: Spear Of Odin" im a fan of ragnarok game so. even tho the game is on beta phase. I'm still gonna try this out!!

so far NIER AUTOMATA ftw!!
    Picked up Lock's Quest for cheap, so I've been messing with that. It's sort of a combination RTS/TowerDefense/Action almost-RPG. Almost, because there's no real experience or advancement system, and the game itself is strongly stage-based.