If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What are you playing today?

1474475476477478480»

Comments

• GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Got Summon Night DS as one of a three-for-a-thousand-yen deal, so I've been tooling around with that. As per usual with Flight Plan, it's a solid game with too much dialog in-between fights.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Summon Night 1 remake on DS, right? Not Summon Night: Twin Age?
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    I've been playing Tales of Berseria. I think the game has one of the strongest video game protagonists in a very long time. I've also found the game moving in its own way, especially in regard to Velvet's emotional journey. She's a very complex character and Bandai Namco took a real risk with her. In the hands of the wrong voice actress, she would've fallen flat. Fortunately for us all, the actress who played her did an excellent job.

On that note, yeah, the game got to me twice emotionally. I find a great deal of the cast have tragic back stories. Also, even though I kept her out of the active party for most of the game, I want a Tales game starring Magilou. She's an incredibly fun character. I'm currently up to the final dungeon.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited October 1
    I haven't started a lengthy game since finishing Mario + Rabbids. I reinstalled Metronomicon, bought the DLC packs during the sale, and have been replaying it on hard. I finished the main game again and am on the DLC. I still think this is a great rhythm game that fans of the genre would enjoy, but it flew under the radar as an indie game and/or didn't have Final Fantasy music in it. Seriously, though, if this had been published by Nintendo or SE, everyone would have played it.

I also logged into Overwatch yesterday, not knowing one of my mains got overhauled in a recent patch. Initial confusion aside, Mercy is now a fabulously fun character to play as. She might replace Zen as my go-to. I placed high bronze in competitive and will make a meager attempt to touch silver, but I don't want to lose myself in Overwatch right now. It was a good gaming session with matches that were close, fun people with mics on my team, and no one trying to ruin the game on either side.

And I bought Cosmic Star Heroine but I'm not impressed with it. I'm in chapter 5 maybe 2 hours in, having strolled into the Millennial Fair Freedom Festival. One odd thing I don't like is how combat abilities are represented by icons instead of text. Sure, it saves space, but that's hardly necessary and I keep having to read the descriptions because I can't remember what 12 abilities across 4 characters do just by the similar-looking icons. Not with a new character joining every 30 minutes anyway. I'll get back to it later and hope it improves.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited October 1
    Been playing a lot of Kritika Online since the recent update and steam release. This update did a lot to fix many of the issues I had with the game. You can now trade with party members for items that drop during a dungeon run, which is similar to the Darkspore strategy that allows you to help your friends but not have a big trading economy of rare items. Furthermore, there's a bigger variety of end game content now with the randomized Fractured Memories Dungeon that allows you to upgrade account ability buffs such as drop rate, cooldown reduction, or movement speed along with many others. There's even more daily content to run with some added side dungeons. It still has a little ways to go, but its a big step in the right direction at the right time. Finally, I met some really nice people that have helped carry me through the hardest difficulty and traded me some key items with the new feature which will hopefully bring my character up to speed much sooner. Really thankful for that.

In addition, I've been playing Danganronpa 3 at a slow but steady pace since its launch. Its a difficult game to discuss without spoiling anything, but I just finished Chapter 2 and worked a tiny ways into Chapter 3. Its funny. The prologue was a tad weak, and my initial listening of the limited amount of songs that play during that section made me a little questionable towards the music. However, after Chapter 1 and 2, I can confidently say that unless theres some kind of major letdown, this game is going to be my favorite of the series. Thats just how good I think the first two chapters are. The entire cast is just such a treat this time around, and the game is legitimately funny without taking away from the seriousness of the story. I've probably taken at least like 20 snapshots of quips on the screen just so I could remember them.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    I won't say anything about the story of Danganronpa V3, but I will say that if trials were a little shorter and less padded (screw psyche taxi) it would easily be my favorite.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited October 1
    I'm sure thats a fair criticism Mac, but its really not one that applies to me. Agreed that the Taxi is a little needlessly long though. I'm actually stalling the game out on purpose because I enjoy it that much and know I won't get another "fresh" playthrough ever again. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if I've already put 30 hours into it, which is about the time you said it took you to beat everything in the other thread. Like other releases this year I love everything about it and hope it manages to maintain the awesome momentum its on right now.
  • scarletamora8888scarletamora8888 PhilippinesFull Members
    Hello~

I'm playing Ragnarok Journey.

It's basically like a Ragnarok Lite whereas you can play anywhere you want because it uses browsers (google/mozilla, etc) in playing the game~ :smile:

If you're playing too, don't hesitate to chat me up!
  • LajntingLajnting OsloFull Members
    Overwatch and Hearthstone
    Rocket League (collect crates)
    It only took a few more evenings to touch silver in Overwatch. I don't know if it's coincidence, luck, the threat of harsher punishments from the reporting system, or if the ranking system got better, but I had a blast playing it over the last week, unlike last July when I was mostly frustrated with the experience. I'll probably leave it alone for a while, stopping at 36-29-2 this season with Mercy and Symmetra as my favorite (and best, according to Oversumo) characters.

I'm in chapter 6 or 7 in Cosmic Star Heroine, having taken a ship and finally been given the ability to choose my party. Now that I'm using the same characters, combat moves more quickly because I'm not reading the abilities' descriptions as much. It's okay, but still not grabbing me. I don't usually play it for more than an hour at a time.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Been playing Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. Have to say, I'm liking the whole settlement building thing here, and how they've really seemed to perfect the combat this time around. Do love how skills master at level 3 now instead of at 5 or higher. Got 25% of the game explored so far, and I'm having to say this game is really stressing the exploration part, as several of these large areas I've been to feel really optional so far.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    I'm really starting to hate Summon Night's Brave challenges. Instead of being something interesting and possibly relevant to the mission, it's specifically a level par set for a battle that almost always places your characters three or four levels lower than the boss of the enemy side. Plus, the Brave challenge is voided if any allied unit, even the otherwise expendable summoned units, gets K.O.'ed, so soon enough the FE-style obsession with avoiding unit death sets in...

Basically, I've been stuck on the same chapter of the game for two weeks now because I've been repeating the same free battle over and over to raise money for the best equipment in the hopes that I'll be able to take on the next battle at or below par, even though I really have no reason to. The carrot of the Brave challenge has trained me too well, and now I can't stand the damn thing.

On the other hand, I've been loving the heck out of Knights of Pen and Paper 2.
    I finally bit the bullet and just let everyone level past the par point for the next few Brave challenges in Summon Night. Since EXP is in a shared pool that can be apportioned (or not) at the end of each battle, I had a huge amount saved up already.

Now I'm four chapters past that point, and a different realization is settling in. Summons are accessible based on what accessories are equipped in battle, with the five flavors of Summonite giving different results based on the accessory. But, the available accessories in the shops change over time to match the current equipment stage, so I have no idea what I may have locked myself out of getting at this point.

It doesn't help that there is no reference in-game for what is available from each accessory, even after you've successfully accessed it. I've wasted so much Summonite trying to get the thing I wanted to show up >_<
    edited October 14
    Played my usual 5 hour marathon of Splatoon 2 during the Splatfest. For not having played the game in 3 weeks, we ended up doing a lot better than I expected. My friend and I picked up a random duo from a Discord server and went at it for Team Vampire. All told it was a pretty good night, I peaked at around 2200 and maxed everyone's ranking, which is about what I usually got when playing the game was a daily affair. We got to the point where we were being matched very often against 4 players with a matching clan tag, and most of the games were really close since our team composition was surprisingly well balanced for a PUG. This was probably my least favorite Shifty Station they've released so far though, the bottlenecked points of entry and small map size just made for a crappy combination of camping and hoping for a lucky all-in push at the end. Still though most of the games were quite enjoyable and it was a good reminder that Splatoon is still super fun.

Also played a little Ys 8. I've been struggling whether I should dive into it or not, because of the localization update and the fact that Etrian Odyssey 5 is out this Tuesday. Most likely scenario is I'll end up putting it down at some point and wont finish for awhile. Its a shame, but I just need something to relax with in the interim and Ys 8 does fit that bill. Anyways, Im hardly far at all, only at a small dungeon in Chapter 2. Right now I'm just not feeling it as much as Ys Seven or Celceta, and I think that has to do with the setting and localization of those games being more likable and charming than 8 has been to this point. The idea of base building looks intriguing, but I'm only at the cusp right now. The battle system is fun, with Flash Guard being especially cool this time around, but again it just hasn't made me say wow like Seven or Celceta yet. Im confident it'll get there though once you're given a greater variety of characters, skills, and enemies to go up against.
    edited October 20
    Put down Summon Night for now, because the difficulty curve is getting steep.

Currently trying Blazer Drive, a Sega title made as a multi-media project with a manga publisher (said project failed, BTW). Jury is still out on the game.
    I was having so much fun with Overwatch and so little fun with Cosmic Star Heroine that I kept playing the former since my last post. It's the total opposite of the last competitive season. Blizzard must have fixed its ranking system. After failing to break out of bronze last time, I touched gold last week just before EO5 arrived and I'm currently 105-76-6. I'd like to get more of the Halloween loot, but I'll probably do more quick play than competitive moving forward just because I'm a bit tired of my competitive mains, and I insta-lock Mei in quick play and have a blast.

Though now I'm mostly playing Etrian Odyssey V. I forgot how peaceful this series is for me. I'm usually a mildly irritated, high pulse rate gamer, but this one's been so chill and relaxing. I'm on the 9th floor, still using my original five party members. Overall, I don't like the class changes as much in this one. The harbinger and necromancer are great, versatile classes, but the others I checked out are straightforward, and the simplified skill tree further limits the extent to which I feel like I'm customizing things and using strategy to win. EO3 has my favorite class system in the series.

That aside, the labyrinth has been fun to explore. It hasn't felt like a chore yet, and I've eagerly searched out every nook and cranny of every floor so far. Some other tweaks mean I'm playing EO5 without a pure healer in my party for the first time in an EO game, which is an interesting change of pace. I'm glad I'm enjoying it, considering it could be the last new entry in the series. At least, the last one with dual screens.
    edited October 23
    Been playing Etrian Odyssey 5 as well. Its been so long since the last mainline Etrian Odyssey that I agree with you 7th, finally getting another well designed dungeon crawler is very refreshing. The game has hit a lot of high notes for me. For example, the ability to customize portraits in various ways is something I've wanted since the first game, and the first 3 Stratums are pretty appealing visually compared to the respective 2nd and 3rds of the series. I especially like the 3rd which I just got to, the music, atmosphere, and puzzle opportunities are great. I'm also happy with the adjustments to the pet system, which no longer requires empty party slots and allows you to keep them outside of combat. Quality of life improvements like only costing 2 levels to respec, and 5 for class change, on top of more map icons and other tidbits that are hard to think off hand go a long way in making the game very fun to play at any pace.

I'm with you though, in that this game doesn't hit all the highs that 3 and 4 do. No world map is kind of a bummer, and the inability to to cross class is more limiting compared to those games. However, I do think the Racial Skills, Unions, and Legendary Title system add enough to keep the game enjoyable, and you'll be getting those titles shortly. My first Fencer is infinitely more useful now, with more ways to lower enemy accuracy, dodge, and unequipping gear to further raise evade. Even certain weapons have skills/stats that are unlocked by forging them which helps to keeping me feel satisfied.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited October 23
    I have been playing Eternal Oasis, a cross between a simulation game an action RPG, and enjoying it.

I also tried Culdcept Revolution, a cross between Monopoly and CCG, and enjoyed that too. Anyone know if there's a real board game version of Culdcept?

I got Endless Legend from a Humble Bundle recently, played through the tutorial, and that looked interesting too. A 4X type game like Civilization with a fantasy theme.
    edited October 29
    Lots more Etrian Odyssey 5 over here.

There's a couple things that have been bugging me, so I'll get into them here. First and foremost have been the first 3 major boss fights thus far. The 2nd and 3rd Stratum boss fights were both very easy for me, whether that be due to luck or the AI making silly mistakes, they have been a huge let down compared to the first boss of this game and the other bosses throughout the series. I'm willing to admit I probably got lucky with the second boss. I used a union skill called Hex just because it was something available, and fortunately (unfortunately?) the boss got Petrified, a status I dont think it was weak to, and proceeded to spend the next 3 turns struggling to get out. With the third boss, the AI made some critical errors that basically resulted in the boss not doing much of anything for 1 or 2 turns, which is a headscratcher. To top it off I just didn't like how this boss looked either, it didn't really seem to fit in all the way with the excellent atmosphere of the 3rd Stratum and I came away with kind of a disconnect there, even though the story bits were amping it up.

Additionally, my party cohesion was gnawing at the back of my head and functioning in a manner that was effective but at the same time not fun. The Dodge Fencer I mentioned above is basically the culprit. They have a skill to remove gear to increase evade, which works wonderfully when it works, but also results in an instant death when it does not. Coupled with my 4 Swords Masurao, this party would eventually come across a random encounter where one of the two got nuked, and since I do not have any real effective means of reviving other than Nectar/Union, it just didnt feel very consistent. Because when I did dodge during bosses/encounters they were an absolute joke, which just wasn't fun either. So after much agonizing I finally came to the decision to reclass the Dodge Fencer, the class I was most excited about going into the game, into a Pugilist. Those fist fighter classes, as some of you may know, just aren't my cup of tea. But now that I've changed and played more, I'm much happier with my team. The added dimensions of methods to inflict binds, a strong DPS buff, better normal encounter attacks, and just having 2 party members that can take a hit in the front row makes all the difference in the world.

Overall, I'm still having a ton of fun even with the little dip. Its interesting, I don't like the 4th Stratum too much aesthetically, but I do appreciate the music and added complexity to the floors. With my revamped team that I probably should have started the game with, everything is looking up and my foray into the 4th is quite engaging thus far.
    I've been messing around with post-game stuff in Knights of Pen and Paper 2. Already had the Ori-Gami material finished by the time I beat the main game, but there was quite a bit left over to do. I powered through the marathon dungeon crawl, only to end up in a very surprising place... with a level 43 marker (my entire part is level 33 right now). Up to the north, I went through all sorts of insanity (including a mock-up of the Tomb of Horrors) to find the name of the Unpronounceable Horror, but I've yet to be able to beat the darn thing. And to the south, my attempts to get past the great Pay Wall and into the neighboring land of Expandia have hit a paywall. I'm adding it to my Steam wishlist.

Until then, I'll look for another game to enjoy.
    edited October 30
    I cleared the 3rd stratum of Etrian Odyssey V tonight while watching football.

Like ChickenGod, I too dropped my Fencer for a Pugilist, though I did it around the 14th floor when I realized its master skills just weren't working well. I originally left a Pugilist as the odd man out because I didn't like that his high damage skills cost HP, but it ends up the master skills add a massive damage boost to the class without costing HP or even much TP. Plus binds are useful and I don't have anyone else who can inflict them.

The labyrinth exploration is still the highlight of the game for me. The 3rd stratum has a great aesthetic that's carried well into the layout and FOE behavior, and there are pros and cons to exploring during day or night, which changes things up when the sun rises midway through a trek.

After swapping in a Pugilist and leveling him up a bit, I was able to beat all the FOEs in the 3rd stratum before hitting the boss, and the boss was easy. I'm playing on basic difficulty because I like having a redo if I die, but I wish there was an option to play on advanced with the redo. Like how Fire Emblem separates character permadeath from the enemy strength in its difficulty options. I'm also torn on how legendary titles are implemented. It was fun picking them based on vague gameplay descriptions, but a couple didn't quite turn out how I'd expected, and I'd like to be able to check out others without reloading after swapping classes around or looking online.

After playing an Untold, I wish EO5 either had a real plot, or none at all. I'm uninterested in the brief story nuggets and know they aren't going to amount to anything until some big reveal toward the end of the game. That's just not a storytelling method that works for me.
    Been playing .hack//GU Last Recode since Thursday night. I'm around the halfway point of Volume 1, and I'm reminded why I love this part of the series...and also why I dread certain things about it. You have to make sure you save often, because if you encounter a Chaotic PK in an area, it's possible for you to lose right there. Luckily they've added a retry function that lets you try to complete a fight while lowering the difficulty of it. The pacing sadly for Volume 1 is still all over the place too, but I never expected them to change anything storywise.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited November 12
    Hate double posting, but it's been a few days.

Did a 100% completion for Vol 1 in .hack//GU Last Recode, and am currently working on Vol 2. I forgot how much of a quality jump there is between Vol 1 and Vol 2 in terms of pacing, QoL changes, areas, and characterization. Also, Crimson Vs is addictive as hell.

EDIT: Managed to reach the end of the tournament, currently have the entire party at level 100. Working on getting the last Card I need for Crimson Vs that you can find ingame using the Competing keyword, though no luck after 15 attempts to get it.
    edited November 22
    My plan was to borrow South Park: The Fractured but Whole from my brother and start and finish it while I was off work this week, but I forgot to pick it up a week ago and didn't get it from him until late Sunday evening. I'd been warned that it started slow, and it did, but once the story sequences got rolling it's been a blast. It's all about the setting and writing; I'm not a fan of this style of RPG combat and this is doing nothing to change my mind. The battle taunts alone crack me up, but I loved seeing a character who was only in a couple episodes of a recent season return with a larger role. The line "We need to get to Classi before the stripper horde overwhelms us!" about killed me. I finished that, finished the Professor Chaos sequence, and am headed to the police station for the next sequence.

More than the last South Park game, I feel like only fans of the show would appreciate this one. It feels like there are a lot more references to the TV show without context or explanation than the last one had. Which is fine with me, but an observation nonetheless.
  • omegabyteomegabyte Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited November 22
    7thCircle wrote: »
    My plan was to borrow South Park: The Fractured but Whole from my brother and start and finish it while I was off work this week, but I forgot to pick it up a week ago and didn't get it from him until late Sunday evening. I'd been warned that it started slow, and it did, but once the story sequences got rolling it's been a blast. It's all about the setting and writing; I'm not a fan of this style of RPG combat and this is doing nothing to change my mind. The battle taunts alone crack me up, but I loved seeing a character who was only in a couple episodes of a recent season return with a larger role. The line "We need to get to Classi before the stripper horde overwhelms us!" about killed me. I finished that, finished the Professor Chaos sequence, and am headed to the police station for the next sequence.

More than the last South Park game, I feel like only fans of the show would appreciate this one. It feels like there are a lot more references to the TV show without context or explanation than the last one had. Which is fine with me, but an observation nonetheless.

It's not Classi, it's "Classi with an I and a d*** hanging off the C that's f***ing the L out of the A-S-S"
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • EvilorEvilor Totally not the secret antagonist A secret alcove in the hero's baseFull Members
    I'm currently playing through Avernum HD! For my second playthrough, I'm using a raiding party of roustabouts to sack and pillage every single human settlement! It brings great joy to my tortured soul to see the pain and suffering of the Avernites left in my wake of destruction and mayhem!