If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What are you playing today?

1475476477478479481»

Comments

• flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    Culdcept Revolt - 3DS
    Borrows a lot from Monopoly:
    1) At some point during your turn you must roll dice (two of them, natch) and move according to the number rolled
    2A) Landing on empty territory gives you the option to "buy it"
    2B) Landing on your territory incurs no toll
    2C) Landing on enemy territory necessitates paying a toll
    3) Making a lap around the board nets you money when you pass "Go"

That's where the similarities end.

Instead of bankrupting your opponent, which is pretty tough to do, you need to achieve a certain amount of net worth to win the game. There are partner battles of two teams of two; in this case you and your partner's net worth are added to determine victory.

So, it is a card game and you have a deck of 50 cards, each of which is a monster card, a spell card or an item card. You draw one card at the start of each of your turns.

Spell cards have various effects and are played before you roll the dice each turn.

When you land on empty territory, you claim it by revealing a monster card from your hand, paying the listed cost in "mana", which is really just money, and placing the card on the board.

Here's the kicker: If you land on enemy territory, you can try to claim it by revealing a monster from your hand and paying the cost (Monopoly could use some of this). If you do, a battle starts. The goal is to reduce the enemy monster's HP to 0, and there's a complex resolution order that makes it rather tricky to pull off. You can choose one item card per battle to boost your monster's strength. Most of the items increase your monster's offensive or defensive strength, but there are oddball ones too. Each of the monsters of course have their own special abilities.

Instead of playing a monster on your turn, you can instead exchange a monster on the board with one on your hand by paying its cost, level up your territory by paying money, which increases its defensive strength, the toll collected, and the amount the territory is worth, or you can order a monster to move to an adjacent territory (this can start a battle).

It's actually a very complex game. My strategy for most of the game was to put two copies of "Holy Word 1" (target player's next dice roll is guaranteed to be "1") in my deck and wait for an opportunity to use it, then use the spell and level up the territory the opponent is about to land on. This worked basically throughout the game. There are definitely counters to this strategy and the AI knows most of them. But it's obvious there are different strategies to try.

You get new cards via lootbox, but there is no option to pay money for them. You earn the currency needed for their purchase by playing the game. As well there are many powerful cards in the common slot including the aforementioned "Holy Word 1."

The story is nothing to write home about. It's actually kind of silly.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited December 2017
    Saw I am Setsuna on sale for the Switch, so I picked that up and put some hours into it as an in between for Xenoblade. Right off the bat I can kind of tell why this game isn't liked by that many people, but I can see some charm here in its simpler battle system and somber, melancholic tone and atmosphere. Its just hard to live up to the Chrono Trigger style, and the fast paced nature of the story doesn't hit the same notes that the music and general atmosphere of the world are trying to paint. Not long ago I picked up Julienne, so I've switched to having a team of her, Aeterna, and Setsuna which has been fairly effective thus far. Its an easy to play game that kinda lacks substance, but its been alright thus far.

And of course, I've started on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and hit the ground running, having just finished Chapter 2. Right now I have a positive impression of the game, but its not taking my breath away compared to other titles this year. There are some strange scenes and things that are logically odd, such as the sequence with the crab or wondering why on earth a game thats known for sprawling landscapes is covered in a cloud sea with no land. Some of the anime comedy scenes feel very awkward too. However I am liking how this game is much more story and character driven than X was, even if I tend to prefer the more mature and serious tone that Xenoblade 1 gave us. I'm also enjoying how the areas are a bit smaller so far. They're still large enough to traverse but not so enormous that they become overwhelming or start to feel a little empty. Similarly, its nice that they've already given us a few dungeon-like areas, and that the camera isn't absolutely horrific in them like it was in X. The idea behind the blade system seems interesting but its also a little frustrating at the same time. Right now I'd prefer to actually play as Pyra rather than have her be an assistant, and generally speaking the character design of the playable ones introduced so far does little for me. At the end of Chapter 2 I rolled on my first Rare Blade core only to get jipped with a common, but fortunately I opened 3 more commons and was gifted Perceval. It seems kind of silly to me that you have to rely on random draws that are committed to a character before they are opened. Hopefully the item that allows you to swap these between characters isn't too rare, but the idea as a whole is very unappealing for those who want to experiment with many compositions. To leave things off on a good note, I am very impressed with the various menus and HUD XC2 offers. Its something small but does go a ways towards making the experience more pleasant.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    Almost done with Ulrica's route in Mana Khemia 2 but got distracted by Xenoblade 2. Have gotten myself turned around trying to find the next location in Chapter 3. It's not a Xenoblade game without me getting terribly confused by the map at multiple points, so I guess I was due.

Also I guess most people play Raze first before Ulrica but Raze looked super boring. I like things about Mana Khemia 2, but think Mana Khemia 1 overall was better for me. It had better humor and characters.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Got The Last Remnant for Steam from my secret Santa this year. I'm past the intro section, with a limited party right now. Baby steps...
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    I kind of need to hit the Star Tropics soon, but for now I seem to be playing Tales of Hearts R. Some of the time (much of the time, actually) I wish the characters would shut up and stop reinforcing that they have a couple of traits that MUST BE SEEN in every interaction. Hisui has some serious, and seriously unexplored, issues about incest that someone should investigate. Being THAT concerned about your sister is probably a serious condition.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    edited December 2017
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has kept me glued to my seat since buying the game. Spent a monumental amount of time with the game already. Strangely enough, while there's a laundry list of things I don't like, I still feel positively about the whole thing.

Right now I just started on Chapter 9 after spending many, many hours on side content. There's a real pacing problem between Chapter 7 and 8, due to how certain characters aren't present in the party while much of the optional content requires said characters to even activate. For instance, I pulled the Rare Blade Ursula and couldn't even initiate her extremely long and poorly designed Affinity Chart for quite a while. On top of that, the end of Chapter 8 causing permanent missables by
    removing Indol forever
    not only doesn't make sense, but also comes with no warning. On top of the fact that there is only a single save file. Thankfully I wasn't hurt too bad by this particular aspect like I have in the past.

Lots of what I've been doing has been traveling around the world looking for unique monsters for Zenobia's Affinity Chart, which has been pretty fun. Being able to go into these fights and manage your aggro, which party member to control, and creating long chains has been satisfying as you don't really get to experience the diversity of characters, customization options, and nuances until you're pretty far into the game. The AI is surprisingly fairly adequate at doing what its supposed so with Driver Combos and Blade Combos. The Healer role seems to be the one that it struggles with the most, but even then its just fine for the majority of the content. Balancing your aggro while using fast blade swaps, skill canceling, and keeping in mind elemental chains is good honest fun.

As for the story, I'm honestly not very invested in whats going on. Everything is so heavily predicated on whats happened in the past that I can't help but feel I'd rather be playing the story thats referenced rather than the one being told. I know I've felt this way with other games too, but none spring to mind immediately. That being said, each chapter does offer adequate entertainment by building events early and then having them reach a fever pitch with bosses and lots of action near the end.

What I've enjoyed most thus far is sharing my experience with other friends playing the game. As flawed as the Rare Blade system is, we've gone through different quest lines and have changed party member's roles over the course of the game. XC2 is so massive that, like Breath of the Wild, its cool talking about interesting locations or random nonsense that happens like knocking a boss monster off a cliff.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    I'd never played a cell phone game before, due to various reasons like quality issues and the unappealing microtransaction structure, but my brother insisted I'd like Clash Royale and he was right. Been playing it for hours every day for the last few weeks and it's a perfect little CCG / RTS hybrid. Similar to Path of Exile, I don't mind giving them money when I'm enjoying a game this much.

I've also failed to totally kick Overwatch out of my system and play it about an hour every day too. The 5 Mei v 1 Winston Christmas battles were cute while I was grinding arcade boxes. I was able to win as Winston once, which felt like a huge (and very satisfying) accomplishment given I don't play Winston. It just took a while of getting used to the odd tactical side of the 5v1 fight.

Unfortunately, this means Xenoblade Chronicles 2 hasn't fully hooked me yet. An issue could be that I'm mostly playing it handheld, and it looks a bit ugly on the small screen, but the real issues are the map/quest UI and the slow pace making it drag and I lose interest or fall asleep. This happens to me with slow JRPGs, so it's more a me thing than a XC2 thing. I'm in chapter 3 and just reached the 3rd town in the game.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    Just got Romancing SaGa 2 on Steam, and thus I'm reliving the experience of playing this game on a computer screen, if legally this time :)

So far I've only beaten the first boss encounter, the Watchmen, but I'll move on to the first battle with Kzinssie this evening.
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    Iv been playing yakuza kiwami after getting it on black friday iv got to chapter 7 iv got all the hp and attack upgardes, im liking it so far not as good as zero in terms of side stories and stuff although some times having to fight majima at times id rather not and fights on the street can happen more than id like, I dont know if anyone knows if this game was make before zero or after coz graphically it looks quite a bit worse mainly with texture popins mainly with peoples faces(altough im not sure if its not just a upressed version) I know its based on a game that came out over 10 years ago
    I also like how some of the characters are mentioned from the last game in some of the side stories, even though its weird when doing the toy car side stories as I didnt do them in zero, but I guess I can go back anytime to do em. Im also tempted to play the original after and yakuza 2, as yakuza kiwami 2 wont be out for atleast another year, before 6 comes out next year.
    Im also looking forward if their gonna localize that FotNS yakzua esk game
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
    edited December 2017
    OK, so there's only one scenario in Romancing SaGa 2 that carries real consequences if you mess it up... so guess what I did (not intentionally)...

edit: TPK count = 4
    edited December 2017
    The typical burnout of huge open world games hit me pretty hard with Xenoblade 2. After spending so many hours on side content I have very little left to do. But what remains are utterly monotonous tasks like getting Ursula 3000 more fans and finding random collectables for the few remaining quests that I have no clue where to find, or maxing out development levels by salvage spamming.

So instead of wasting a perfectly good Christmas season on that stuff, I went ahead and started on Tokyo Xanadu eX+. Right away I was surprised at just how "Trailsy" the game is with its style of storytelling and exploration. I absolutely adore the engine and stuff they came up with for Cold Steel, so I'm more than happy to play something that uses the same style. The simple but appealing character design here is refreshing, as I can't stand how much of the cast of XC2 looks. Knowing nothing about Tokyo Xanadu, I had figured this was going to mostly be an action game with story sequences, but I'm surprised to see that its actually extremely heavily story focused, sorta how Fate/Extella was earlier this year. Its probably for the best, as the dungeon design has been quite weak thus far into Chapter 3, and each dungeon is only 6-12 minutes long plus a boss fight. Which is nothing compared to how much story and town romping comes before. The bosses are actually quite a joy to fight on the hardest difficulty, though I'd argue they have just a little too much health, at least in the early going. All in all I'm having a good time with things, though I do wish the there was more action to balance out constantly exploring the city and talking to NPCs.
    edited December 2017
    Defeated Bokhohn, the second of the Seven Heroes in Romancing SaGa 2. Before that, I tried (and failed) twice to eliminate the Termite Queen of the Savannah, slightly out of order because I need access to Moleville (by defeating the Queen) in order to finish the mermaid quest.

TPK count: 7. IWO (Imperial Wipe-Out / LP death): 2

Updated!

Finally beat the Queen! Before that, I added the southern tundra region to the empire, then explored the Gelid Ruins (died at the boss, but that was expected) and delved ten levels into the Green Labyrinth of the Maze of Memory. I also went through party members like they were free tacos on a Tuesday. I gained four new battle formations and effectively tripled (or even quadrupled) the technique lists for everything but axes before it was all done.

TPK count: 11. IWO count: 2
    I took off work and played Final Fantasy XIV all last week for free thanks to the callback campaign. My life's become more social lately, so this wasn't a 16 hour every day sort of deal like usual, but even with less gaming time, with a day left I had this sense that there wasn't anything in the game I felt compelled to do. What drove me when I resubscribed for patch 3.3 and 3.5 was the relic quest, which I don't plan to do again. Without that, and without much left to level, it's sinking in that there's not enough added content in the game for me to rationalize resubbing two more times before the next expansion. I don't want to get bored with it, and I've finished about all the old content I'm interested in.

That said, I played Black Mage for the longest I ever have, and for the first time after hitting 60. I don't like it that much -- I find it more frustrating than fun -- and it's my hardest job to play solo out in the world. I kept it and Red Mage equally leveled and find Red Mage to be the easiest job I've used. I also do better solo with it than Black Mage. Probably I'm just bad at Black Mage.

The new 24 man raid is a blast. Relatively easy, but with enough unique mechanics and heavy hits to keep it fun. I played it as a Summoner because I wanted to roll need on caster gear and I'm still enjoying that job.

And speaking of the relic, I finished my 2nd anima one. It took 3-4 hours of grinding A1S, which went by quickly spaced over a few days.

I still think the Stormblood dungeons are great. I enjoyed playing the level 70 ones as Astrologian and the earlier ones to level my casters. I also added to my gil stash quite a bit even though the market for 4.0 stuff massively cooled off since last summer. There are always ways to make money, though.
    Still plugging through Romancing SaGa 2, exploring the extra content a bit. I recruited the Ninja!

At this point I have made contact with two more Heroes (Rocbouquet and Dantarg), could probably meet Noel at this point, and have the starting pieces of the Subier scenario coming into play. I am also not really well prepared to take on any of these, but that hasn't stopped me from trying.

Also found out the hard way that dying against a boss in the Maze of Memory results in a Game Over instead of an Imperial reset. Ouch.

TPK count: 15. IWO count: still 2.
    Been hooked on Tokyo Xanadu eX+ since starting it up. If nothing else, I'm pining uncontrollably to play another Trails game now. This reminder of how good the the Trails formula is for storytelling and world building even in a completely different setting is probably unhealthy for all the different games I still have to play from 2017. Anyway, I've just started on Chapter 6 and I'm having a great time with Tokyo Xanadu. The story has started to amp up significantly, and the dungeon design has gotten more fun to explore, especially the final one at the end of Chapter 5. The boss there was amazing too, it stood toe to toe with a high end, fast paced Ys Boss with enough mechanics to keep you guessing. I'm also a huge fan of the playstyle given to the most recent character,
    Mitsuki
    . The long range and barrier based combat is a great compliment to the Knuckle User's more fast paced multi hitting attacks. The only thing I'm a little frustrated with is that, as the game has improved over time as I've played, the translation has started to take a hit. Thankfully the issues are of the "easily mentally repairable", kind but the number of small grammatical errors, particularly the ones that misspell character's last names in the main story are disappointing to see in Falcom RPG. Overall though I'd probably rather have errors of this nature rather than something more wooden that doesn't fully convey the material, so its no big deal at all.

• maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited December 2017
    Me, it's been mostly .hack//Infection and FFXIV lately. I hope to return that .hack game to Shadowcat by the end of next week; it's taken me longer than I wanted b/c of the holidays and things got nuts.

Have been enjoying .hack quite a bit though.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    The only thing I'm a little frustrated with is that, as the game has improved over time as I've played, the translation has started to take a hit. Thankfully the issues are of the "easily mentally repairable", kind but the number of small grammatical errors, particularly the ones that misspell character's last names in the main story are disappointing to see in Falcom RPG. Overall though I'd probably rather have errors of this nature rather than something more wooden that doesn't fully convey the material, so its no big deal at all.

Just reached chapter 7 myself, unfortunately the localization has continued to disintegrate. Still a fun game, I just wish I didn't have to see a quotation mark ever again.
    edited January 2
    I spent a while at my brother's today to play Nine Parchments couch co-op. For a friendly-fire spellcasting game with goofy controls that caused us to blast each other regularly, I think we both enjoyed it. We stopped because he wanted to watch the bowl game... which leads to the game's one quirk: you can't resume progress after stopping. We'd have to restart at the beginning of the game, retaining our character levels and gear. We knew this going in. As my brother refuses to replay content, that means we're done with Nine Parchments unless the upcoming fix (which sounds less like a "fix" and more like the idiot devs genuinely didn't think players would want to exit and resume an 8-ish hour long game) retroactively lets you continue an exited campaign. Oh well. We made it maybe 2/3 of the way through.
    I felt the need for something actually in English last summer, so I picked up Children of Mana (DS), somehow completely forgetting that I'd actually bought it back when it came out in Japan in 2005 as my first DS game. This experience has been totally vuja de (i.e. the feeling that none of this has happened before, even if it has). For some reason, I could not remember anything concrete about this one except for the fact that the Dudbear quest store was a font of repetitive boredom -- not even how far I got before selling it back. So I've avoided doing too many of those, and the game is still tedious. I think I'm past the point I reached previously, but I can't be sure because even the bosses are making me draw a blank.
    My wife donated to my birthday get-a-Vita fund, so now I have a completely new avenue for building up my backlog.

Sadly, the game store I visited was sold out of SaGa Scarlet Grace, so I picked up another item on my to-play list, Yuusha Shisu (HERO MUST DIE). Hopefully I'll figure out what I'm doing before the hero's time is up. Currently halfway through the first day.