If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What Are You Reading? Suggestion/Review Thread

Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl MemberFull Members
edited September 2014 in Entertainment
Simple enough.

What are you reading right now? Any recommendations? Good authors?

I just finished an interesting little sci-fi title called "Helix" by a fellow named Eric Brown. The premise is the earth is dying and the last 4000 suckas get to go to a distant galaxy to colonize.

Pretty rudimentary plot, but well paced, bland-to-good writing and great characters, fascinating imagery. A pretty cool idea on faraway worlds.

Also, I just finished up Phantom, the second to last entry in the magnificent Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Less than a week before Confessor, the final book is out... and then 12 years of my life will be done with!

"Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."

Comments

• ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited November 2007
    I'm actually surprised no one made one of these yet. Works out though.

Right now, I'm reading The Red and The Black by Stendhal. Pretty good story so far, except for some translation mistakes here and there. I'm chugging along slowly on it because I don't really read much unless I'm traveling, and I don't do much of that when classes are going on.

Over the summer, however, I got in plenty of time to read. I shaved off the last four books in R.A. Salvatore's The Cleric Quintet pretty quickly, and read The Legacy of the Drow, as well. I wanted to skip over the former first and read the Drizzt story, but it paid off after I found out the Cleric Quintet tied in with the other series. I'd definitely recommend any of Salvatore's Forgotten Realms books to anyone who has a soft spot for fantasy titles.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    I'm reading The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman...again. ?I really, really love this series. ?And the thought that the movie producers for the upcoming film <span class="spoiler">refuse to grow a pair and leave the story as is, and instead avoid all references to religion</span> really ticks me off. At any rate, this is the most brilliant series of books I have ever read, bar none.

Also reading Portrait of a Lady by Henry James for the third time.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    <div>
    (Jeffrey @ Nov. 06 2007,07:28)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I'm reading The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman...again. I really, really love this series. And the thought that the movie producers for the upcoming film <span class="spoiler">refuse to grow a pair and leave the story as is, and instead avoid all references to religion</span> really ticks me off. At any rate, this is the most brilliant series of books I have ever read, bar none.

Also reading Portrait of a Lady by Henry James for the third time.</div>
    Hah!

I haven't read The Golden Compass in years! Good choice though!

Anyone have any suggestions on High Fantasy? I'll be done with the Sword of Truth and refuse to read the rest of Jordan until his last book is on the shelves, so yeah... i'm dying!

Already read Martain, Tad Williams, Brooks... even Sara Douglass...
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    Robin Hobb has some great stuff out and I love her work. The Assasin Apprentice series is great, Liveship Traders trilogy, and her latest one the Soldier Son series.

Right now I am reading Heaven's Net Is Wide by Liam Hearn. This is the prequel part of his Tales Of The Otori series which I love. Set in feudal Japan, I love these books, so this new one is an incredible read so far.
  • doriandorian Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    <div>
    (Jeffrey @ Nov. 06 2007,07:28)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I'm reading The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman...again. I really, really love this series. And the thought that the movie producers for the upcoming film <span class="spoiler">refuse to grow a pair and leave the story as is, and instead avoid all references to religion</span> really ticks me off. At any rate, this is the most brilliant series of books I have ever read, bar none.

Also reading Portrait of a Lady by Henry James for the third time.</div>
    Arg!

Yeah, the His Dark Materials trilogy was an amazing read. Annoying to hear about the news, though.

I've been reading mostly specialized nonfiction, so I can't really add anything that'd be of interest. I'll dig through my library and see what I can rec. though....
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    Fantasy? My favorite.

I`ll post some suggestions when I get home.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited November 2007
    The last book I finished was Salvatore's Promise of the Witch-King and I'm trying to finish up Tad Williams's Tailchaser's Song right now. I want to be free of that book before Confessor hits. I'm excited and sad at the same time.

"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    Right now I'm re-reading some Tom Holt and Terry Pratchett. Still waiting for Pratchett's _Making Money_ to come in from the library, and ferociously awaiting Jasper Fforde's _First Among Sequels_. I tend to like comic fantasy or urban fantasy (just finished book two of _Genesis of Shannara_ and Jim Butcher's latest).
  • Stick BugStick Bug Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    I finished reading Anthem by Ayn Rand a while back. I'm about to start The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming and Environmentalism. After that, I'll probably find another haiku-related book.
    edited November 2007
    <div>
    (Macstorm @ Nov. 06 2007,14:45)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">The last book I finished was Salvatore's Promise of the Witch-King and I'm trying to finish up Tad Williams's Tailchaser's Song right now. ?I want to be free of that book before Confessor hits. ?I'm excited and sad at the same time.</div>
    I know how you feel... im excited but at the same time its gonna all be over... I read a review of an advance copy... it was stellar... so we'll see where it all concludes, its been a long road.

Haikus? I write Haikus

Socked in the dome piece
    Like a little b*tch as* ho
    Who's your daddy punk?

I know its not too natury... but yeah
  • KoverasKoveras New Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    <div>
    (Stick Bug @ Nov. 06 2007,15:29)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I finished reading Anthem by Ayn Rand a while back.</div>
    I'm sorry.
  • keele864keele864 Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    For once I'm only reading one book: Thomas Pynchon's Against the Day. Only 432 pages left! A very good book, but also very difficult and very long, 1232 pages in paperback. Still, 800 pages in it's one of my favorite books of the year, and one I think I'll come back to. It's not for everyone, but Pynchon really is a fantastic writer.

Next up: A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh or maybe something by Kingsley Amis or John Banville or Ian Fleming. I'm afraid I'm not terribly decisive. Whatever I end up reading, I'm pretty sure it will be short. One needs a break after all.

Though I rarely read poetry, I read all of A.E. Housman's A Shropshire Lad last night. Highly recommended; moving, influential, and wonderfully quotable ("And malt does more than Milton can / To justify God's ways to man"). Available online at gutenberg.org.

As for fantasy, I'm a huge fan of Gene Wolfe, though his books are not for everyone. They're rather intellectual what with all the unreliable narrators, gaps in the story, etc. The man is my favorite living writer, but I wouldn't recommend him to everyone. If you do want to start reading Wolfe, begin with The Book of the New Sun, available in the US in two volumes, the first of which is Shadow & Claw.

Patrick Rothfuss is a good new fantasy writer; I quite enjoyed his debut novel, The Name of the Wind. Unlike Wolfe, it's something that most people who like fantasy will like.
    edited November 2007
    So I finished Confessor, the last book in Goodkind's Sword of Truth...

Wow... it is over.
  • ImmortalisImmortalis Member Full Members
    edited December 2007
    Currently I have just begun to read the Corean Chronicles series by L.E. Modesill Jr. The first book is called Legacies and so far its been very entertaining. I like how they incorporated magic with weapons such as guns using an ability known as Talent. The story is more complex as the story progresses with a country trying to reseruct the ancient artifacts of a lost civilization that suddenly vanished, leaving remnants of its existence.
  • FalorFalor Member Full Members
    edited December 2007
    I am neck deep in a re-read of Raymond E. Feists many books (on book 4 of Riftwar right now.) High fantasy at its best...though he does get a little crazy in later books with the amount of power the characters end up with...a la DBZ.
  • Cerpin TaxtCerpin Taxt Member Full Members
    edited December 2007
    Anthem's good...but, her other fiction's better.

I'm in the middle of Bret Easton Ellis' Lunar Park. It gets predictable in spots, but somehow manages to still give me chills when what you're anticipating is confirmed.
    edited December 2007
    The Riftwar books by Raymond E. Feist was also a very good read. It really helped spark ideas for the book I am currently writting.
    edited December 2007
    I still need to read Confessor, I'll catch up as soon as I can! I just finished reading Children of Hurin by J.R.R. Tolkien all I can say is wow. The man was amazing with this world he created. I loved this story and I'm going to read it again.
    edited December 2007
    Anyone ever read George R.R. Martin?

He's a sadistic bastard and if you can handle what he does to the characters you love so much, then by all means he's an excellent fantasy writer.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited December 2007
    <div>
    (ConfessorRahl @ Nov. 25 2007,12:12)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">So I finished Confessor, the last book in Goodkind's Sword of Truth...

Wow... it is over.</div>
    Same here. Seems like we finished it at about the same time. Not 100% sure what I want to pull out of my book backlog to read yet.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited December 2007
    <div>
    (Macstorm @ Dec. 05 2007,11:42)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (ConfessorRahl @ Nov. 25 2007,12:12)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">So I finished Confessor, the last book in Goodkind's Sword of Truth...

Wow... it is over.</div>
    Same here. Seems like we finished it at about the same time. Not 100% sure what I want to pull out of my book backlog to read yet.</div>
    Avoiding spoilers, what did you think?

Overall, pretty good, not quite as epic as i'd hoped for, and it seemed a bit rushed.

A fitting end to the series, but Faith of the Fallen is by far my fav.
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited December 2007
    Reading Aragorn, and all I can say is its better then the movies.

Can't wait till Jordan's Son releases the final book. And Feist releases his next book, both next year.

Though I can wait for Eddings, cause he can't write.

EDIT: Hmm, I think I have 3 books to go in the Sword of Truth series, though it is beginning to get repetitive.

http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • FalorFalor Member Full Members
    edited December 2007
    <div>
    (bain_nick @ Dec. 06 2007,06:20)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Though I can wait for Eddings, cause he can't write.</div>
    !!!!!!!!!! The Belegraid and Mallorean are two of my favorite book series ever! though I will agree his newer stuff still leaves a bit to desire.

On a side note, I came to a horrid conclusion after finishing "Silverthorn" (Feist's book III of the riftwar(or two depending:)) that I don't have my copy of "Darkness at Sethanon" Anymore!! I found EVERY other Midkemia book on my bookshelf except the one I need to read next! ARRRGGGG!! Geuss I got hit up the mall this weekend (grumble)
  • KoverasKoveras New Member Full Members
    edited December 2007
    <div>
    (Cerpin Taxt @ Dec. 04 2007,16:59)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Anthem's God awful...and, her other fiction sucks just as hard.</div>
    Fixed it for you.
  • waterlily43waterlily43 Member Full Members
    edited December 2007
    I just finished Cell by Stephen King. I think I prefer his earlier works. Some of them were creepy but this one is just gruesome. <span class="spoiler">I hate not knowing what happens in the end!</span>

Some other recent reads: Nightlife and Moonshine by Rob Thurman. Enjoyable and doesn't require much strain on the brains. The biggest plus is no cliffhangers even though they're the same series.
  • doriandorian Member Full Members
    edited December 2007
    <div>
    (Falor @ Dec. 06 2007,10:19)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (bain_nick @ Dec. 06 2007,06:20)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Though I can wait for Eddings, cause he can't write.</div>
    !!!!!!!!!! The Belegraid and Mallorean are two of my favorite book series ever! though I will agree his newer stuff still leaves a bit to desire.</div>
    I thought Eddings was good when I was young, but going over it again I realized his writing skill is plain dry. His characters say some ridiculous and naive things when talking "philosophy" or other serious matters, his character types don't change across books, his female characters all become the same person, and I also don't like the ultra-formulaic way he creates things.
  • myrlamyrla New Member Full Members
    edited December 2007
    Hi, I'm new here, figured as a Creative Writing major this would be a great initial first post for me.

I'm currently reading "The Life and Times of Elizabeth I" by Alison Weir, and I have the entire Hope series by David Feintuch on deck. It's been a very long time since I've read them and I'm looking forward to reading them over the holiday week biggrin.gif
    edited December 2007
    I'm reading Heaven's Net Is Wide by Lian Hearn again. Fourth book in the Tales Of The Otori series, great read!
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited December 2007
    Eddings is good as an introduction for youngsters to the world of fantasy, but his books suffer from a lack of planning, and tend to contradict themselves. He is a bit sexist as well, even when attempting not to be.

Oh and the Balgariad, mallorian, even the sparhawk books, and atheles follow THE EXACT SAME BLOODY PLOT.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
    edited December 2007
    I finally took the time to go to my local Chapters and buy the last book in the "Heirs of Ash" Trilogy, written by Rich Wulf. But before I did, I took the time to refresh myself by readin the two previous books, "Voyage of the Mourning Dawn" and "Flight of the Dying Sun", both excellent books in my opinion. The last book, which was "Rise of the Seventh Moon" really did a good job of explaining many of the unknowns from the previous books and finish with a climatic ending that really felt satisfying.