If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What Are You Reading? Suggestion/Review Thread

Comments

• happytownhappytown Member Full Members
    edited December 2007
    I just finished A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah. Very good but very violent and depressing. I feel like he could have done another chapter on the end to show how he got to the US, but it was fine as it was.

I also recently read Scott Pilgrim Gets it Together. I absolutely love this series!

Uggh. Time to go back in the study closet.
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited December 2007
    I just picked up "Soon I Will Be Invincible" by Austin Grossman from the library. About a third of the way through, and it's a very interesting postmodern take on the superhero genre.
  • CarontCaront Member Full Members
    edited May 2008
    Since I got out of grad school (*shudder*) about a year and a half ago, I've been reading like crazy, as much for my sanity as anything else. ?My guiding principle is that I want to read through the classic novels/series in science fiction, but I've taken a few diversions along the way.

Most recently, I finished reading Eldest again (in anticipation of Brisingr coming out on Sept. 20), and I have Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles waiting for me. ?Once the latter three books of Asimov's Robot series come in (blast you, Books-a-Million!), I'll jump back to those and then probably read the Foundation prequels (having already read the series proper).

Sincerely,
    Caront
  • Stewie32887Stewie32887 Member Full Members
    edited May 2008
    I am reading the Bloody Crown of Conan, by Robert E. Howard. Its a collection of his longer Conan stories and I'm really enjoying it.

Prior to this I just finished the fourth in George R.R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series which I would highly recommend to anyone looking for good fantasy.
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited May 2008
    Just finished Duma Key by Stephen King. LOVED it. The story was great, I would actually be up reading for hours, it was that good for me.
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited May 2008
    I finally finished reading The Red and the Black last week. I'm glad I finished it, I just kept getting distracted with other things. I liked the beginning and most of the middle of the story, but it lost its luster towards the end and the main character became less likeable as time went on. Still a good read in the end.

Started reading R.A. Salvatore's The Silent Blade this week. Only a few chapters in so far, but it's keeping my attention as well as all of his other books.
  • tebiantebian Member Full Members
    edited May 2008
    Resident Evil: The Umbrella Conspiracy, really well written book. A must of you like the game and there is 5 of them so far in the series.

Would love to my hands on these and read if anyone knows.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Starting in 2003, a series of novels titled Final Fantasy XI: ... was written by Miyabi Hasegawa and was released in Japanese, German and French.
    (256~288p each, ISBN978-4-7577-1424-3 (Japanese)) </div>
    edited May 2008
    Ooh, I never heard about that. I never played FF XI, but it sounds like something I would want to read.

And since you mention it, I have a lot of those Resident Evil books. They are good books, I just wish I could find the rest of them that I don't have, or at least remember which ones I do have.
  • tebiantebian Member Full Members
    edited May 2008
    Not to cross post to another forum but if your interested in those FFXI books, we are discussing them on allakhazam. Thanks for the reply.

• HK-47HK-47 Member Full Members
    edited May 2008
    Currently reading 5 Little Pigs by Agatha Christie, and I'm just taking my time with it. It's not a gripping as And Then There Were None (Amazing, kept me hooked) but I am still enjoying it.
    Just can't wait to see how it turns out.

Also going through Fables, and up to #5. That has to be one of the most surprising series I have ever read in a while. It keeps you guessing and there is so much unexpected things happening. Kind of hard to explain, but it reminds me of Y: The Last Man in a sense. And The Sandman while I'm at it.
    edited June 2008
    Finished reading The Silent Blade, started and finished Spine of the World over the weekend. Picked up Servant of the Shard once I got home today. Spine of the World was good if only for continuing one character's story, but I had to suffer through an almost completely unrelated story to get to the end.
    edited July 2008
    Just finished Ex Machina: Tag and about to start Fact V. Fiction. Then some classic Peanuts and after waiting so damn long, Force Heretic II: Refugee.
    And Fables: Animal Farm was just plain awesome. But it was by the same author as Ex Machina, so only the best is expected.
    edited July 2008
    Finished reading Sea of Swords, picked up The Thousand Orcs a few days ago. Not far in, so I can't say much about it. I have owned this book for a while though, just had to wait until I caught up with the Drizzt series to actually read it. Now I only have 4 books left until I'm up to date with the current trilogy.
  • OliviaOlivia Member Full Members
    edited July 2008
    Right now I am reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. It's truly a great book -- immensely fascinating.

\"I was always a rebel and probably could have got much farther had I changed my attitude. But when you think about it, I got pretty far without changing attitudes. I'm happier with that.\" – Veronica Lake
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited July 2008
    2001 A Space Odyssey. ?I bought it before Clarke passed away and only managed to finish up the previous book I was reading (Tales Of Alvin Maker Book 1: Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card) after Clarke died and 2001 was next on the reading list. ?I feel kinda bad, but oh well. ?I'm liking it so far, and I'm about 100 pages from the end I think.

So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • CarontCaront Member Full Members
    edited July 2008
    I enjoyed 2001, but not as much happened in it as I thought. I did enjoy it more than Rendezvous with Rama, though.

I'm currently going through my "economy reading" phase. I've finished reading through most of my classic sci-fi goals (Asimov's Foundation & Robot series, Bradbury's Martian Chronicles & Fahrenheit 451, Clarke's 2001 & Rendezvous, Larry Niven's Ringworld, etc.), so I'm reading books that I already had.

Namely, I'm reading through Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series (at present: Renegades of Pern. Better than I remembered.)

Sincerely,
    Caront
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited July 2008
    I am a good chunk into Fast Food Nation for the second time... a good slice of grim reality.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited July 2008
    The house of chains. IMO Steven Erikson is the best fantasy author out there!!!
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
    edited July 2008
    Finished 2001: A Space Odyssey yesterday. Good read.

Started Congo by Michael Crichton today. It's been sitting on my bookshelf for quite some time now, so its time was due. Haven't read Crichton since High School when I started Andromeda Strain but never got far before the library wanted it back. Regardless, should be a good read I hope.
  • me&amp;lt;3you^_^me&amp;lt;3you^_^ New Member Full Members
    edited July 2008
    I'm reading The Stand again and its possibly my favourite book ever

^_^
    edited July 2008
    Currently American Gods by Neil Gaiman, I enjoyed it a while back, and I'm enjoying it as much now.
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited July 2008
    My bf recommended his favourite book: Ballad of the Whiskey Robber: A True Tale of Bank Heists, Ice Hockey, Transylvanian Pelt Smuggling, Moonlighting Detectives and Broken Hearts.

Quite a mouthful, eh?
  • NergalNergal The Don Full Members
    edited August 2008
    My dad brought me home a copy of Stephen Colbert's "I Am America (And So Can You!)" from his recent trip to the US and A. Highly recommended.
    edited August 2008
    <div>
    (Nergal @ Aug. 01 2008,03:04)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">My dad brought me home a copy of Stephen Colbert's "I Am America (And So Can You!)" from his recent trip to the US and A. Highly recommended.</div>
    If it's half as good as America: A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction was I'll definitely pick it up.

edited August 2008
    The Long Walk by Stephen King turn.gif
  • GooseAssGooseAss Member Full Members
    edited August 2008
    Turning Numbers Into Knowledge - Johnathan Koomey
    about quantitative approaches to problem solving (statistics mostly), and generally a good guide to critical thinking

just finished:
    Super Crunchers
    similar to "Competing on Analytics," it's essentially a high-level pitch for using statistics in business. nothing new to me, i thought it was kind of boring.
  • wyvern14wyvern14 New Member Full Members
    edited August 2008
    Finished A feast for crows from George R R Martin, anxiously waiting for a Dance with Dragons (the sequel) to come out. I think I read the whole serie at least 20 times since 2007 and I still can't get enough of it.

On a side note, Dune is also next to my bed, awaiting a loving hand to flip the pages tonight!
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited August 2008
    I'm currently blasting though a killer fantasy series called the Codex Alera. Freaking awesome, one of the better epics i've read since the good ol' Robrt Jordan and Terry Goodkind
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited August 2008
    Stephen Kings Night Shift

The stories are proper creepy!
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited August 2008
    Just finished Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik. Its the 5th in the series about the dragon Temeraire and his human Lawrence. It takes place during the war between England and France during Napolean's time.. just with dragons.

The series started strong but I feel like Novik is losing steam. Its hard to remember the dragons are dragons sometimes - often they seem a bit too human and don`t really seem very alien much of the time. The novel also seemed to be just filler between the last book and setting up the next. Despite the fact there is a war going on, I felt like it was filler and didn`t add a lot to the overall story.

Also tried out Jennifer Robertson's Karavans but I am bored already (doesn`t quite grab and it jumps around from scene to scene and character to character too much). Dunno I`ll finish it, and definately taking it off my to-buy list (I got it from the library).