If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

D&D: Savage tide Setup

Comments

• TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited July 2008
    In that case, with only 2 players present and what appears to be a nasty fight on the horizon, I suggest we call it a weekend and return to the game when Bebop gets back.

Exploration and plot advancement is no biggie when half your players are gone, but big fights and tricky situations shouldn't be left in the hands of just 2 players. Not that we can't do it, you just don't want to see a potentially satisfying victory shared with only half of the group, especially when one of the players has dealt with this kind of thing a hundred times before. You're essentially giving 1 player the satisfaction of a great victory.

• chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited July 2008
    True. I doubt we get much further along before Monday anyhow, although I did post an update this morning.
    edited July 2008
    Firemyst has requested that I allow him to re-allocate his skill points so he doesn't have to take another level of Druid before he takes the Arcane Hierophant prestige class.

I've decided that all players can re-allocate up to 3 skill points at this time. Enjoy.
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited July 2008
    Would you consider bringing all half-merrow party members back to life, or possibly giving all party members, who happen to be clerics, enough experience to level up to where they can cast raise dead?

I mean, since you're in a giving mood and all. tounge2.gif

\"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited July 2008
    heh.

Well, Grove knows that if they can get out of the swamp, they're pretty close to his home village. Of course, Grove also knows they're a matriarchal society and they might not be all that happy that he, a mere male, survived when the rest of the war party they sent forth did not wink.gif

You know, this is the time when I wish Soulweaver was here, because the Tanaroa are more nature revering then deity revering and thus they would be more likely to have a high level druid capable of casting reincarnate than a cleric capable of casting raise dead.

I'm not sure how well she'd like it if I morphed Gandt into say a halfling wink.gif
    edited July 2008
    I was thinking Gandt coming back wouldn't be quite as difficult since:

a.) He wasn't torn in half
    b.) Like you said, we're close to the village, so carrying the body won't quite as arduous

If he doesn't we're going to have trouble dealing damage to like, anything.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited July 2008
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">If he doesn't we're going to have trouble dealing damage to like, anything.
    </div>

Hey, Kit may have had a bad fight but he can do some damage when Keno's die aren't hating him. :'(

And boy, is Soulweaver SO gonna kill you. Seriously. You know Gandt can crush James in a couple hits. tounge2.gif
    edited July 2008
    When Gandt fell, I really thought it was going to be a TPK situation, even though he had got the golem down to only having 9 hp left.
    edited July 2008
    Well, you should never count out the players. I even had a plan to beat it, and Kit would have told Gandt to move away from the golem (cut down on all those Full Attacks), but then he got scared. I'll bet that Elder Fire Elemental was a crapload tougher than that golem.

Btw, did it have DR 10/Adamantium?
    edited July 2008
    edited July 2008
    Here's some of my level up info

BAB +1
    Saves: Fort +1, Will +1

Divine Health - Immunity to all diseases, including magical diseases
    Empower Healing - Spells cast from Healing Domain are affected by Empower Spell feat. These spells do not use up higher spell slots

Additional 1st level spell slot (Wis Bonus) and 3rd and 4th spell slot (8th level cleric)

2 skill points in Heal, 1 skill point in Concentration

I'll try to post my new spells soon
    edited July 2008
    Radiant Servant?

Also, you probably need more information regarding the Tanaroa, correct?
    edited July 2008
    Ah yes, Radiant Servant.

And yeah, more info on the Tanaroa, if you'd be so kind.
    edited July 2008
    Okay, I'll send you a PM shortly.

Btw, your HP roll was a 6, so +8HP total for this level.

Are you putting your ability point into Wis?
    edited July 2008
    Yes, sir. Wisdom, sir.

Also for my new spells

Lv. 1 - Protection from Evil
    Lv. 3 - Searing Light
    Lv. 4 - Divine Power

Hopefully, that's everything.
    edited July 2008
    Done, thanks.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2008
    Martin and I were discussing the Hierophant and I found this in the introduction:

"Intelligence or Wisdom (either one can govern your spellcasting) is a key ability for you." (Races of the Wild p.108)

I'm reading it to mean the Wisdom can be used for bonus spells for arcane magic as well under this class, but I can't find where it is actually applied. ?What do you think, TG?
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited July 2008
    I read the class description in the DMG to make sure I got the best description possible, and it doesn't say anything about ability scores governing spellcasting. I think it's safe to assume the Races of the Wild version is quite different.

I do remember one class having a feature like that. Forget which, but the general gist of it is, you may use whichever of the two scores is highest for determining bonuses for spell; however, I suspect it only applies to those spells learned by the Heirophant. If the Hierophant advances divine spells, the feature will only apply to those. If it advances both, you should be able to apply the highest score to both spell types.

edited July 2008
    It advances one divine class (druid) and one arcane class (wizard). That would mean Wisdom could be used for both magic types. That gives Lia quite a few more spells in arcane.
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited July 2008
    Lia's new spell block:
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">SPELLS
    ^^^^^^

Spellcaster Level: Divine Lv.6

Spells per day (Lv.0 1st): 5 4 4 3
    Bonus Spells Per Day (wis): - 1 1 1 1 -
    Spell Save DC: +1
    Spell Failure: 0%

SPELLS PREPARED:
    Lv. 0:
    Purify Food and Drink
    Detect Poison
    Resistance: Subject gains +1 bonus on saving throws.
    Guidance: +1 on one attack roll, saving throw, or skill check.
    Know Direction: You discern north.

Lv. 1:
    Cure Light Wounds: 1d8+1/caster level (max 5)
    Produce Flame (2): 1d6 damage +1/level, touch or thrown.
    Faerie Fire: Outlines subjects with light, canceling blur, concealment, and the like.

Lv. 2:
    Flaming Sphere: Creates rolling ball of fire, 2d6 damage, lasts 1 round/level.
    Chill Metal: Cold metal damages those who touch it.
    Delay Poison: Stops poison from harming subject for 1 hour/level.
    Restoration, Lesser: Dispels magical ability penalty or repairs 1d4 ability damage.

Lv. 3:
    Cure Moderate Wounds: Cures 2d8 damage +1/level (max +10).
    Dominate Animal: Subject animal obeys silent mental commands.
    Call Lightning: Calls down lightning bolts (3d6 per bolt) from sky.

Spellcaster Level: Arcane Lv.4

Spells per day (Lv.0 1st): 4 4 4
    Arcane bonus spells: +1 spell for highest spell level*
    Bonus Spells Per Day (wis): - 1 1 1 1 -
    Spell Save DC: +0
    Spell Failure: 0%

SPELLS KNOWN:
    Lv. 0:
    All spells from all books

Lv. 1:
    Chill Touch: One touch/level deals 1d6 damage and possibly 1 Str damage.
    Magic Missile: 1d4+1 damage; +1 missile per two levels above 1st (max 5).
    Mage Armor: Gives subject +4 armor bonus.
    Obscuring Mist: Fog surrounds you.
    Ray of Enfeeblement: Ray deals 1d6 +1 per two levels Str damage.
    Shield: Invisible disc gives +4 to AC, blocks magic missiles.
    Shocking Grasp: Touch delivers 1d6/level electricity damage (max 5d6).
    True Strike: +20 on your next attack roll.

Lv. 2:
    Blindness/Deafness: Makes subject blinded or deafened
    Darkvision: See 60 ft. in total darkness.
    Invisibility: Subject is invisible for 1 min./level or until it attacks.
    Scorching Ray: Ranged touch attack deals 4d6 fire damage, +1 ray/four levels (max 3).
    Touch of Idiocy: Subject takes 1d6 points of Int, Wis, and Cha damage.

SPELLS PREPARED:
    Lv. 0:
    Flare: Dazzles one creature (?1 on attack rolls).
    Detect Poison: Detects poison in one creature or small object.
    Detect Magic: Detects spells and magic items within 60 ft.
    Read Magic: Read scrolls and spellbooks.

Lv. 1:
    Magic Missle, Shocking Grasp, Obscuring Mist, Mage Armor

Lv. 2:
    Blindness/Deafness, Invisibility, Scorching Ray. Touch of Idiocy
    </div>
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited July 2008
    Get a scorching ray wand and you'll be in business. biggrin.gif
  • SoulweaverSoulweaver Member Full Members
    edited July 2008
    Uh

Just dropping in to read the setup thread, since I don't have a lot of internet time now, and I'm too jet-lagged to read through the actual game anyway, but

Am I correct in assuming that I might have to kill Keno?

Yeah, I'm not clear on the in-game circumstances here, but do get on with the reviving if at all possible. I'll be back/more fully conscious on the 25th. Then I can decide if Keno has to die. thumbs-up.gif
    edited July 2008
    Welcome back. I think you'll find things aren't quite as bad as they seem.
    edited July 2008
    And here I was thinking nothing much would happen in 3 weeks' time. ?smile.gif

Re: brush with death - Gandt resurrected as a halfling would have been hilarious and horrible at the same time. ? grinning.gif

Long story short, you played Gandt fairly and well and I have no complaints. ?He fought pretty true to form. ?I might've used the haste potion to start and might've opted for total cover sooner if I were here, but hindsight is 20/20 so who's to say? ?Gandt wouldn't have been ashamed if that golem was what finally did him in, though. ?That thing was nasty. ?

That being said, I'm still very relieved that Gandt's not quite dead yet, and thank you TG for arguing my case, and thank you Keno for hearing him out, and thank Lia for performing miracles. ?

In the interest of fairness, though, we can talk about some kind of penalty or disability (temporary or permanent) incurred by that brush with death. ?I'm trying to be objective, and I do agree that someone's character dying while they're away isn't quite right, but all the same I feel like I'm getting off too easy. ?It's your call.

Re: skill points - You can reassign 3 of my 4 Use Rope points to Craft: Shipbuilding (leaving half a rank in Use Rope as a cross-class skill). ?I initially took them for using the lasso, but I don't think they really have an effect there.

Re: Keno's new avatar - I approve of this avatar. ?thumbs-up.gif ?Makes me happy...

Re: the Tanaroans - Oh my. ohmy.gif
    I'm lol'ing, but damn is this awkward.

edited July 2008
    Well, you can thank Bebop actually for Gandt "dying". Grove attacked the Golem instead of healing Gandt wink.gif

How about this for a Penalty for Gandt: At the start of any encounter involving constructs, Gandt must make a DC 15 Will save or take a -2 penalty to attacks? Once he makes a save successfully 3 times in a roll, he's no longer subject to the penalty.
    edited July 2008
    I noticed, but I wasn't going to say anything. ?Hindsight and all that again. smile.gif

Are you planning on having us encounter a lot of constructs or something? ?Either way, that sounds fair enough to me.

edited July 2008
    Looking ahead to the next chapter, I don't see any at all, actually. However, I know there are some later. It's probably a penalty that ultimately won't decide much, but might help refine Gandt's character traits slightly.
    edited July 2008
    How many chapters are left? Are the remaining chapters long or do things really pick up later?
    edited July 2008
    We're at the end of chapter 4, so that leaves 8 more chapters. ?This chapter took considerably longer than I anticipated it taking.

The next chapter has the potential to be considerably longer, but I think I know of a way to speed it up without hurting the story.

On the surface the remaining chapters look to be a little more action oriented after chapter 5, so they should play a little faster. ?

Chapter 5 has a lot of sub-quest type things you can do, that while not essential to the story, makes the final battle a little easier. ?(Chapter five features a large scale battle, that while the PCs roles are essential, can still be "lost" even with the PCs winning all their fights.)

edited July 2008
    Will a reading of Complete Warrior's large scale battle rules and guides aid in satisfying the winning condition? Or is it less battle tactics and more strike team, "you've got a small job to do" sort of thing?