If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

D&D: Savage tide Setup

Comments

• chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited July 2008
    No, its a lot of "Do this to get this" sort of thing.

Improving the town's defenses, recruiting locals/natives, etc etc.

Each "task" that is completed successfully gives you x number of victory points. The total number of victory points you have indicates the overall success or failure in the battle.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited August 2008
    Regarding the spellcasting service, would it be possible to get somebody to enchant Kit's blade with a Flaming enchant (flameblade is the prerequisite spell and that's a druid spell I believe), or is exp. cost outside that service? How about a use of Permanancy?
  • SoulweaverSoulweaver Artist - 6 Eyes Studio OrlandoFull Members
    edited August 2008
    We have a permanency scroll kicking around somewhere. ?(But can any of us even use it?)

Also: Gandt will never be able to make that DC 25 Diplomacy check for the free spell. ?Can someone else use his?

edited August 2008
    There are not any restrictions against spells that require EXP (which is probably the reason for the high DC of the service). However, each person can only get one spell per week. The Olman's frown upon the use of metal weapons, so finding someone capable and willing to do the enchantment might be difficult.
    edited August 2008
    List of Olman Feats

There are probably more, I'll have to check further supplments this weekend.
    edited August 2008
    I stumbled across this shield enhancement (in that EN Armory Shields book I linked awhile back). I was wondering if it can stack with the bashing ability? ^_^
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Impaling
    A spiked shield with this special ability is designed to perform a shield bash. An impaling shield deals damage as if it were a weapon of two size categories larger. The shield acts as a +1 weapon when used to bash. Only light and heavy spiked shields can have this ability.
    Aura: moderate transmutation; caster level: 8th; prerequisites: craft magic arms and armor, divine power; market price: +1 bonus.</div>
    edited August 2008
    It's basically the same enchantment, except it applies to the shield spike, but as far as I can tell, Keno is applying the Bashing enchantment to all shield bashes without distinguishing between impaling strikes and regular bashing strikes.

Either way, bonuses of the same type don't stack. And it shouldn't. I mean, come on, +4d6 damage for the value of a +2 enchantment? Yeesh.

edited August 2008
    Thought it was worth a try, at least. :)
    edited August 2008
    How about this one from Arms & Equipment?

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Fearsome
    This suit of armor or shield creates an aura of fear around the wearer (as the fear spell from a 7th-level caster). This aura affects all opponents within 40 feet of the wearer. The armor or shield appears completely normal, except to those who fail their save. The fearful see a creature from their worst nightmares in place of the wearer.
    Caster level: 7th; prereqs: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, fear; market price: +2 bonus.</div>
    Sounds cool, but I'm not sure if we'd want opponents running away from Gandt. Thoughts?
    edited August 2008
    It may be a little expensive for a DC 14 Will save, but it is a passive effect, so it could be handy. Much better for Grove I'd think. We certainly don't want anyone attacking him.

I ran some tests in NWN while watching TV today to see what things improve Gandt's survivability (he obviously doesn't need more damage). I threw my Gandt clone against all sorts of monsters, big and small, tough and not, with all sorts of enchants to see how he does. I wasn't expecting to get any sure-fire results, but some armor enchants truly stood out against ?the rest:

VS. TRASH: Against large numbers of grunts, things like Fear and Stun auras were great. Sure the grunts ran every which way, but they can't attack you while they're running.

VS. SPELLCASTERS: Even a lowly Lv.8 Gandt-clone was able to go toe-to-toe with ancient dragons and liches with a simple Spell Resistence rating of 20. He didn't win, but he lasted a lot longer than the other clones who didn't have spell resistence (like 1 or 2 minutes vs. 5 seconds).

VS. MARTIAL: I was expecting things like damage reduction and crit. reduction to help here, but it turns out the two things that really boosted the Gandt-clones' survivability was Fast Healing and pure HP totals. AC was moot because these creatures typically fielded +20-30 attack bonuses. An AC total of 40 helped a little more, but not as much as I thought it would

VS. EVERYTHING ELSE: Save bonuses were okay, but in the end, pure HP and Fast Healing beat all the unexpected and weird attacks.

So maybe create a magical shield for pure melee-based encounters and a shield for spell-heavy encounters, perhaps?

Sometimes it's fun to run scenarios, even if it's not your character. tounge2.gif

edited August 2008
    !! That's extremely helpful, actually. Myst, Bebop, and Keno should get you to do that for their characters. wink.gif

I was definitely going to get some spell resistance, but everything else was kind of up in the air. This gives me something to think about.

1. What's a good way to get Fast Healing? It wouldn't hurt for everyone to have that, but it doesn't seem easy to come by.
    2. How the hell do you go about getting an AC of 40? wow.gif
    edited August 2008
    If they ask, sure, but they're not as buff heavy as Gandt and Kit are. Their spells give them a major edge. Lia and Grove are pretty much doing just fine, and Keno knows my thoughts about James. biggrin.gif

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">1. What's a good way to get Fast Healing? It wouldn't hurt for everyone to have that, but it doesn't seem easy to come by.
    2. How the hell do you go about getting an AC of 40?</div>

1. It's not, but if it does appear, we'll know who should get it. There is a Ring of Regeneration, but it's only FH 1. I also noticed the Ring of Blinking. That should come in handy. And I think there's a Stoneskin ring or something out there that gives some cheap bonuses.

2. A whole lot of gold, and a whole lot of enchantments.

Oh, I forgot to mention the Gandt clones could never defend against special attacks, like Petrifying Touch and Mummuy Rot. Short of insane save bonuses, you're only defense against those is a great healer.

• bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited August 2008
    I think Grove should get a Dawnstar...................just sayin'.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited August 2008
    I think Grove should take the Zen Archery feat and get the biggest, baddest crossbow he can find...just sayin'.

And while we're at it, Lia + Natural Spell= tiny mouse unleashing spellfury on enemies who desperately search for the source of the attack or flying animal that darts around using touch spells. Just sayin'...

ANYWAY, I have a little theory about CR adjustments for PC classes and I would like to test it out. How? I want to pin down Gandt's CR. And how do we do that?

By fighting him, of course! I want to get the entire Savage Tide party together and put them up against Gandt. The test is worthless if I can't get at least 4 party members involved.

edited August 2008
    I'll participate, why not.
    edited August 2008
    Sounds like fun, even considering my chances for survival are nil. tounge2.gif
    edited August 2008
    edited August 2008
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, fine. tounge2.gif
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited August 2008
    The test will take place in the Survival Mode thread. Just want to see what Firemyst has to say before we begin.
    edited August 2008
    Picking the discussion up from the game thread...

I guess I don't get why it's even an issue. ?The party isn't aware of the trouble Avner is in, while they are aware of the fight down at the docks. ?Is there really a choice to be made here?

It would just be strange if they decided to ignore the docks in order to earn "points"...
    edited August 2008
    As you can see, Avner is fine, more or less.
    edited August 2008
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I guess I don't get why it's even an issue. ?The party isn't aware of the trouble Avner is in, while they are aware of the fight down at the docks. ?Is there really a choice to be made here?

It would just be strange if they decided to ignore the docks in order to earn "points"... </div>

Nobody is saying you have to metagame here, I'm just wondering if Avner is an important enough NPC for us to consider metagaming possible winning and losing conditions.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">As you can see, Avner is fine, more or less. </div>

So was Zeit most of the time. biggrin.gif

ANYWAY, I'm not sure if Firemyst is away or not, so I'm going to start the Gandt CR test without him. He seems like the kind of person to take offense at my playing Lia for him, so I'll run a premade Lv.9 druid from one of my character generation programs.

• FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited August 2008
    I didn't quite get what I was supposed to do. I've been mostly away this week because I have a guest this week. What does Lia, or a version of Lia, have to do?
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited August 2008
    Hey, if you were away, you were away. No problem. We're just tossing Gandt against the party so I can get an idea of what his CR is for a theory of mine. The druid is just there to maintain the personality of the party's abilities.

You still have time to jump in if you'd like.

• FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited August 2008
    Sure. What do you need me to do? smile.gif
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited September 2008
    Wacky question: Zan wouldn't happen to be a battlemage?
    edited September 2008
    No. He's a rogue.
    edited September 2008
    Heh. Would have been funny if he was. biggrin.gif

Sure was fun RP'ing Zan.
    edited September 2008
    For the retraining dealie, I was thinking of giving up Quicken Turning (which, in all likelihood, will never be all that useful) and get Divine Metamagic (Extend Spell)

With that, I can use a turn attempt to apply Extend Spell to any spell, plus an extra turn attempt for the Extend spell portion - you have to use a turn attempt for each spell slot used. Maximize spell, for example, would us four, one for using the divine metamagic feat and three for the spell slots used to apply maximize spell.

I'm assuming you have to have the feat in question, otherwise I'd give up Extend Spell for Improved Initiative.

Any thoughts?
    edited September 2008
    I am currently down and out with a crushing headache. I probably won't be back on until Monday.