If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

D&D: Savage tide Setup

Comments

• TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited September 2008
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Any thoughts? </div>

Sounds good. I like Heighten Spell, but that's purely personal preference. They're all good.

Undead creatures at 10+ tend to have Turn Resistence anyway. Turning is not as reliable.
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited September 2008
    So, hot on the heels of the headache came... Hurricane Ike.

I'll be back, in a day or so.
  • SoulweaverSoulweaver Artist - 6 Eyes Studio OrlandoFull Members
    edited September 2008
    Take all the time you need.

Well, all my retraining is going to depend on keno's input on certain prestige classes. In the meantime, I guess you guys can chime in if you want. Basically, given Gandt's recent close calls, I want a more defensive class. Fighter bonus feats that are defensive in nature are surprisingly sparse (unless I'm just missing them).

Ignore the prereqs for now. Those are being discussed.

Dwarven defender (SRD): Don't think I'll be approved for this one, but defensive stance and damage reduction are nice.

Champion of Gwynharwyf (BED): DR, enchantment resistance, energy resistance, and immunity to charm and compulsion are exactly the types of things I'm looking for, but I'd have to slog through some barbarian and paladin skills to get to them.

Faithwarden (Shields): This one has spell resistance that scales up with your level, and eventually DR 10/magic. Only problem here is the poor Will saves and all the charisma-based abilities...
    edited September 2008
    Damn. That sucks. Hope everything is all right.

Defender: Sounds good, but its abilities do depend on you standing in one spot. We seem to fight in lots of open areas, so I'm not sure how useful it can be.

The Champion: I agree, this one sounds perfect, but that is a lot of multi-classing. No point getting what you need if you end up with huge experience penalties.

Faithwarden: Seems okay.

Here are some other possibilities:

Gain Cleric levels: Okay, so it's not a martial class, but it does have good Will saves and all sorts of protective spells. Gandt's STR and CON is so high he has already negated the HP and Attack loss for being a cleric. And no multi-class penalties (assuming Keno cares about that sort of thing).
    You would even have the perfect RP reason: the brushes with death have allowed him to see life differently, thus improving his faith.

The Knight: This is a basic class from PH2 that has good Will saves, d12 HP gain, martial ability, and lots of class features that focus on shielding allies and challenging enemies to focus on fighting you. Gandt's fighting style even works well with the Knight's Code. There is a Lawful pre-req though, and the poor Fort. saves and dependency on CHA could be a problem.

Pious Templar (CD): Martial class with good HP, Fort. and Will saves, Damage reduction, bonus feats, the Fort. version of Evasion in Mettle (right from Lv.1), bonus spells, and easy pre-reqs.
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited September 2008
    <div>
    (TG Barighm @ Sep. 16 2008,14:09)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Damn. That sucks. Hope everything is all right.</div>
    Ditto on this, chum.

Just throwing a couple things for you Weaver lady:

Next level, Radiant Servants get an ability that gives themselves and those around him (like 10 ft or so) a +2 bonus on will saves. Also, with Spell Resistance and Spell Immunity (with Extend Spell) I could easily buff Gandt.

As another thought, I was thinking about switching Extend Spell with Reach Spell and then getting Divine Metamagic with Reach Spell. Then maybe get Zen Archery and I could be more potent from the back.

Just putting that out there.

Oh and now all this talk gets me looking through all these rulebooks and makes me wish I had tried a Techsmith. You guys are such a bad influence on me. tounge2.gif
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited September 2008
    What's a Techsmith? Doesn't even sound like D&D! biggrin.gif
    edited September 2008
    Found it in Champions of Faith

Basically it's a Wizard or Cleric (with Craft Domain), that gets:

1.) A Gondsman (think a medieval version of Robo from Chrono Trigger)
    2.) Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Firearms)
    3.) Competence bonuses to Appraise, Craft, Disable Device, Knowledge and Open Locks pertaining to mechanical/technological devices
    4.) Improved Critical
    5.) Battle skills useful against constructs
    6.) Ability to make bombs

They continue to progress in their original spellcasting class so you don't lose anything there. And you get a bonus domain if you are a cleric.

The Gondsman is the niftiest part. Essentially an extra party member for battle, or a nifty bodyguard for magic users. And it progresses as you progress, which is neat.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited September 2008
    Medieval techie, eh?

I've always liked the idea of inventors in a fantasy setting. They feel so under-utilized at times. Aside from the spellcasting thing, which feels out of place for this kind of class, everything else about it sounds cool.

This would actually be perfect for my latest game idea, but everyone's gonna say they're too busy, too distracted, my dog died, etc.

edited September 2008
    <div>
    (TG Barighm @ Sep. 16 2008,20:26)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">This would actually be perfect for my latest game idea, but everyone's gonna say they're too busy, too distracted, my dog died, etc.</div>
    You can't say those things or else I get the bug.

Actually, I already got it when I read about the techsmith. But you saying that just makes it worse. laugh.gif

Of course, you'd have to be around level 8 to be have all the requirements. Considering how many years it's taken us to get to the level 8-9 area in Savage Tide is a somewhat sobering reminder.
    edited September 2008
    Still no power at home, which means I haven't had time to copy a lot of information I need to copy. I'll try to getting to answer questions today though soulweaver, I promise.

And BTW, I think the exp penalties for multi-classing are stupid. I never really understood them myself. It's not like you can take 20 levels in each class, after all.
    edited September 2008
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Of course, you'd have to be around level 8 to be have all the requirements.</div>

No longer a problem in my games. I stopped using the standard method for gaining exp. awhile ago. Now I give exp. based on a level table. Basically, if you guys need to be at a certain level, you will be. It ends up being a lot faster.

And I created a basic class version of that inventor, so I could easily convert the prestige class version to the basic.

But my new idea has more to do with giving player characters much more storytelling power, so while all of this fits well with the setting, it doesn't have anything to do with the actual idea itself.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">And BTW, I think the exp penalties for multi-classing are stupid. I never really understood them myself.</div>

Yeah really. Kind of had a purpose when it was possible to grab good class features by taking 1 level in a bunch of classes, but they moved those features up in level for 3.5, so it no longer matters.

edited September 2008
    We got power back late yesterday afternoon. I hope to be able to finish typing up what I need to type up either tonight or tomorrow night, so we will probably resume on Monday. My apologies again for the delay.
    edited September 2008
    All those nights sleeping with the windows open have caused my allergies to go crazy (I'm currently taking 4 different meds to control the various symptoms, with really no success. If anyone needs me, I'll be curled up in a ball.)
    edited September 2008
    Well, they say bad things come in threes...

Bebop: That Techsmith is pretty awesome. I want one now.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">You would even have the perfect RP reason: the brushes with death have allowed him to see life differently, thus improving his faith.</div>
    You read my mind. tounge2.gif
    But clerics need some wisdom to cast those spells. I'll be heading toward the Champion.
    edited September 2008
    Apparently I was a zombie friday night (I thought I went to bed at 8:30, Jill said I was up until after 10, behaving like a zombie). Good thing I did not run into Grove.

Saturday I was, I will admit it, extremely lazy. (and quite possibly still zombiefied.) Sunday I went to the Colts game.

So, needless to say, I'm still not ready to start up again. Sorry. I am working on it though, honest.
    edited September 2008
    Make just *one* former comrade burst into flames and then suddenly it's a "thing".

Honestly! tounge2.gif

edited September 2008
    Farshore Information and Tasks - There'll be more on this later.
    edited September 2008
    These are all of the tasks, right? It's pretty obvious who should do what tasks, but some are not so obvious, so I'll give my take here:

Harbor Defences: I don't think we have any engineers, do we? I guess we should look at hiring some to do the work. Maybe Lia can recruit some sea creatures to move rocks and sand to create sandbars or place traps under the water. Just an idea, of course. Her talents are probably better served elsewhere.

Palisades: Hire engineers, I guess.

Mines: Hire the dwarves and gnomes, I guess.

The Tannery: There's a business opportunity here. Find some way to funnel the skins to the PC before selling them to the tanner.

The Last Coconut: This sounds like the most rewarding of the tasks. By the sound of it, all we have to do is load the ships, maybe hire a few sailors.

Hall of Records: Send Urol and hope he dies. laugh.gif

Farms: Hire farmers, I guess.
    edited September 2008
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Farshore Cemetary: Although Farshore has not had many problems with undead, there are no clerics in the colony capable of casting hallow on this site. A PC who casts hallow here increases the community's morale, resulting in a stronger drive to defend the colony from attack when the inevitable occurs. The additional protection afforded to the cemetary frees up the priest of Farshore Chapel to focus more time on providing services and crafting magic items rather than guarding the cemetery - as a result, Farshore's gp limit increases by 1,000 gp.</div>

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Militia Barracks: A character who spends a week trying to recruit people to the miltia can increase the militia by 5 with a DC 20 Diplomacy check. This upgrade can be repeated each week (for up to four additional recruitments), but each time the DC of the check increases by 5.</div>

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Farshore Chapel: Vesserin welcomes any clerical aid he can get in handling the day-to-day chores of running the chapel. Any PC that can cast healing spells can spend a week helping him in various tasks such as healing, maintenance, sermons, and other spiritual matters. At the end of the week, a DC 20 Knowledge (religion) check indicates that the spiritual well-being of the colony increases morale. This award can be earned up to eight times.</div>

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">The Apothecary's Infirmary: With a DC 25 Heal Check, a character can increase the infirmary's efficiency so that when the attack comes, more of Farshore's residents will be in better shape to help defend the colony.</div>

I think I have the best Diplomacy, Heal and Knowledge (Religion) checks, so I could take care of these ones. Have to wait a bit until I get enough experience until level 9 so I can cast Hallow on the cemetary, though. Any ideas about a spell to infuse Hallow with or just leave it as is?

Quick question, and I'm sure the answer is no most likely, but for some of these checks could I just cast the Eagle's Splendor, Owl's Wisdom etc. on myself and/or others to get the skill bonuses, or is it assumed that the time taken to accomplish those tasks would overshadow the duration of those spells?

For some of those architecture/engineering checks you get a +2 bonus everytime you retry, so someone could just keep trying week after week until they finally get it.
    edited September 2008
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I think I have the best Diplomacy, Heal and Knowledge (Religion)</div>

Do not! Kit is the Diplomat in the group. Let him take care of the smooth-talking, although if Grove aids him there will be a cooperation bonus. More on Kit's plan later.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Quick question, and I'm sure the answer is no most likely, but for some of these checks could I just cast the Eagle's Splendor, Owl's Wisdom etc. on myself and/or others to get the skill bonuses, or is it assumed that the time taken to accomplish those tasks would overshadow the duration of those spells?
    </div>

Most definitely no, but those spells could still be very useful during the "event" tasks. For example, while investigating the warehouse thefts, those spells could come in very handy, and they would certainly boost the party's combat effectiveness while dealing with the trogs (let's face it, we will need to do it eventually).

edited September 2008
    <div>
    (TG Barighm @ Sep. 23 2008,13:20)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Do not! Kit is the Diplomat in the group. Let him take care of the smooth-talking, although if Grove aids him there will be a cooperation bonus. More on Kit's plan later.</div>
    I don't know how the hell I missed that. Well, nuts to me, I guess.
    edited September 2008
    Don't suppose we can Take 20 on these? biggrin.gif
    edited September 2008
    Under most circumstances, you could, but most Heal, Diplomacy, and Crafting checks take place over time and are resolved with a single roll. I doubt we can Take 20, plus it would throw a major wrench in the Savage Tide design if we could just take 20 to cheese all these tasks.

edited September 2008
    Yeah, no take 20s
    edited September 2008
    Didn't think so.

Gandt specifically can work on these:

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Sellis' Woodworks and Smithy: With a DC 25 Craft (armorsmithing, carpentry, or weaponsmithing) check, a character can increase the efficiency of this operation. Each one of the three checks made increases Farshore's assets by 2,000 gp, for a total of 6,000 gp increase if all three are made.</div>
    The armorsmithing one shouldn't be a problem. If he buys some tools and rolls high, he could make the other ones too. But how many attempts do we get?

Can Craft (shipbuilding) be substituted for anything here, or otherwise put to use for other missions? Perhaps to make the Blue Nixie faster/better armed?

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">The Apothecary's Infirmary: With a DC 25 Heal Check, a character can increase the infirmary's efficiency so that when the attack comes, more of Farshore's residents will be in better shape to help defend the colony.</div>
    Lia and Grove are better able to do this, but Gandt can make it if he uses a healing kit and rolls a 20. Do multiple successes by different characters do anything (and again, how many attempts do we get)?

He could of course help with the trogs and the watchtowers, too.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited September 2008

+14 Heal means this should be easy for Lia with a kit.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">The Greenhouse: With a DC 25 Knowledge (nature) check, a character can increase the greenhouse's collection of exotic spices, herbs and other plants. Once trade routes are established with Sasserine, this increases Farshore's gp limit by 1,000 gp.</div>

If my +4 knowledge counts for Farshore (are we still on the isle?) then I get +14 here as well... otherwise +10. What else can I do to increase my knowledge?

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">The Last Coconut: Lavinia Vanderboren is eager to load up the Blue Nixie with trade goods for Sasserine to establish the trade route between the two locations. Amella Venkalie's the best candidate to captain the Blue Nixie on such a trip. By giving her a workforce of sailors and laborers, she can be off to Sasserine at any time. The Blue Nixie return in about 6 months (along with a half-dozen more trading ships filled with colonists and goods) is enough to bring Farshore's population up to 450 soules. More importantly, the PCs can purchase or sell goods at this point as if they were in Sasserine (40,000 gp limit, Assets 31,300,000 gp), albeit with a six-month delay.</div>
    What do we even do to help with this? Seems like it kinda just happens. smile.gif

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Tehrik's Tannery: There are countless sources for exotic leather and fur on the Isle of Dread, but many of them are too dangerous to harvest. The megafauna of the isle can provide quality components if a PC can harvest their hides without too much damage. Harvesting a hide takes a Survival check (DC 10 + the creature's CR). Hides from creatures of CR 5 or less do not noticeably aid Tehrik. Each CR 6 to CR 10 hide delivered to the tannery increases Farshore's assets by 250 gp (to a maximum increase of 2,000 gp). Each hide from a creature of CR 11 or higher delivered increases Farshore's assets by 1,000 gp (to a maximum increase of 10,000 gp).</div>
    This doesn't seem too hard. I have high survival. How many people do we need to get them?
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited September 2008
    Are any of these tasks "tricks"? Like, if we get Lavinia elected, will that actually HURT the colony?

And what does James plan to do?

edited September 2008
    If we can still do retraining, could I swap around skill points to boost my Heal and Knowledge (Religion)?

That'll probably help a bit. I would like to boost that Knowledege (Religion) skill because we can get like eight bonuses from that event. It may not be huge, but every bit counts.
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, there is still time to retrain. I'm thinking generally it will take a week to retrain, and there is a time limit the party has on how much it can get done, they just aren't aware of it yet. Also, officially the party is not aware the task list yet, but I wanted to make you all aware of it for several different reasons.

Also, not every task is on there yet. I'm going to add a ship building task, to repair the Hellfire (the pirate vessel that Lia and her Thoqqua so successfully destroyed) and possibly a couple other things. There are ship modifications that could be made, but at the moment Gandt (or someone) would have to argue for taking the time to make them (and I need to track down the list, I know I've seen it somewhere).

There's a "recruit the Olman" task that I don't think is currently on the list, although I could be wrong. Some more might get entered during the course of the story.
    edited September 2008
    In that case, if I could switch the three ranks in Sense Motive I have with two ranks in Know (religion) and one in Heal, I'd be much obliged sir.

Also, just as a heads up, my Will save, and Wis based skills should show a +5 mod instead of a +4 mod.