If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

D&D: Savage tide Setup

Comments

• chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited September 2008
    Oh, I forgot to mention. It is possible to assign tasks to the Jade Ravens.

James will be helping out his sister as he can, and will only participate in other tasks if asked.

Bebop: send me a PM with the changes you want, thanks.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited September 2008
    Say, did we ever figure out who or what was tailing the party during the latter half of the journey? I'm starting to wonder if this mysterious figure, who clearly led the party to that haunted place, is still at large and a possible threat.
  • SoulweaverSoulweaver Artist - 6 Eyes Studio OrlandoFull Members
    edited September 2008
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">there is a time limit the party has on how much it can get done, they just aren't aware of it yet.</div>
    Gotcha. ?wink.gif
    For those missions that don't specify how many checks we can attempt, though, could we at least get an idea how many are allowed per day/week/whatever? ?Just wondering if some of them are even worth attempting.

And just out of curiosity, are we missing out on any quests due to Skald and Father Feres not being here?

edited September 2008
    I sure hope not. Keno kind of gave me the impression the other NPC's aside from Avner weren't all that important.

I got a new idea we can try to help Keno out a bit. Keeping track of all the stats. PC's have is hard enough, but it's only going to get nastier once Wondrous items, spells, and other unique effects start to enter the picture.

In a live environment, it helps to have the players track any bonuses or spells currently in effect. That's basically what I'm proposing. Mini-sheets are nice, yes, but they're still something Keno has to reference, and won't help him when it comes to spells, plus players have to keep updating them.

I call it "Kit Notes", or whatever you choose. It works like this: post your actions for a character normally. When you're finished, go through all the checks you call for and whatever else is happening to your character. List them all in a "Notes" section at the top of your post. That way Keno knows exactly what he needs to know or reference the moment he reads your post. Here's an example:

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">
    Kit wants to sneak up on a monster. He sneaks up on the monster, stabs it, then tumbles away from it to avoid a counter attack. As soon as he gets away, he activates his Boots of Speed, jumps up to a nearby rope, and attempts to get out of sight.</div>

The Kit Note would look like this (no, these numbers are not accurate; it's just an example):

KIT NOTES: Move Silently +15, Rapier Attack +14/2d6+5, Tumble +17, Haste effect 6 rnds, Jump +11, Hide +15, AC 22, Telling Blow ?<<<span style='color:red'>helpful for all those passive attack effects</span>

*The actual action post is here</div>

Let's pretend Grove did some spellcasting. He posts for two actions and is not sure he will get attacked before he completes his spells:

GROVE NOTES: Cure Light Wounds 1d8+4, Magic Circle 90 minutes (+2 AC, 30 ft. radius), AC 20, Concentration +15</div>

This should also help prevent the status line from getting too cluttered up with info, possibly negate it entirely in some circumstances (seriously, aside from tracking HP, it's a bit of a pain to maintain).

I'm going to give it a shot for awhile and see how it goes. I sure hope it makes things easier. God knows I wish I had something like this when I first began DM'ing high level adventures...

edited September 2008
    no, the only NPCs that really mattered where Amella, Urol and Avner.

The "notes" thing would be helpful, if you are inclined to use it.

The "mysterious" figure was one of the whatchamacallems from the temple in the jungle.

James or Lavinia will detail approximate time requirements of the tasks.
    edited September 2008
    Hey Soulweaver, have you seen the Active Shield Defense feat? Able to score Atks. of Opp. even while using Total Cover. Just sit in one spot with your shield up and wait for enemies to try and run past you! Defensive Sweep looks great too.
    edited September 2008
    Where are those located? I ended up taking a much needed Improved Toughness this level, but I'll keep them in mind for next level.
    edited September 2008
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited September 2008
    Looking back, it seems our two year anniversary was on Sept 6th.

And aside from one unnamed character getting torn in half, it seems like we've been doing alright. tounge2.gif

Here's hoping we keep on keepin' on. thumbs-up.gif
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited September 2008
    Nice. I figured we hit the 2 year mark by now. Good work, everybody! I'm actually surprised our characters don't die more often, especially before Lv.4.

This game may even break the Lv.10 mark! biggrin.gif

Ah, 2 years...many greats lasted that long. 5 years of history...who would have thought all of this would have lasted that long?
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited September 2008
    what level were we a year ago? o.o
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited October 2008
    Probably not much lower than we are now. o.O

edited October 2008
    I think Grove was level 7 when he joined and now he's close to 9. So.....O.o
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited October 2008
    Keno, check your PM's.
    edited October 2008
    So I was reading some of the other Savage Tide's being played at RPG.net. They have a place there where GM's share their games. I didn't read all of them, and I definitely didn't read beyond the point we've played up to, but I did go over a few games.

I gotta say, from what I've seen, along with a few peeks at a bunch of other games, we're easily the best of the bunch. Not only in terms of power, but in style and composition (the number of dwarven fighter, elf wizard, and cleric groups is so huge it's practically laughable; so many people are so focused on just winning they forget to be original). We're admittenly a little overpowered, but we've got so much more style and flavour. There is nobody like James or Kit or Lia in any of those groups.

It's something to be proud about, methinks. biggrin.gif
    edited October 2008
    We've had far fewer character deaths, that's for sure. Keno has been generous at times, sure, but TG has helped out tremendously in a lot of ways also. Everyone has, really.

There's an obituary thread on the Paizo boards that's a pretty fun read.
    edited October 2008
    Quote: wrote:
    TG has helped out tremendously

Oh? How so? I know I'm pretty good at sniffing out tricks and ambushes, and Diplomacy rocks, but overall, at least up to this point, Kit hasn't been all that great. Gandt and Grove are so much more useful in battle, and Lia is really gonna start rocking now.
    edited October 2008
    Your technical expertise has just always seemed to come in handy in every game we've played. Pointing out or mentioning things that the rest of us (Me, for example) may not have considered.
    edited October 2008
    I found this mapmaker program at the Wizards forum. It's kind of...awkward, but it's there if you wish to figure out how to use it:

http://home.eunet.no/~havardfl/mapmaker/map.html
    edited October 2008
    Quote: wrote:
    Oh? How so?
    Not to mention you convinced Keno to have mercy on Gandt that one time. thumbs-up.gif
    edited October 2008
    Hey, I was just trying to save his life. I remember what happened the last time one of your characters died under unusual circumstances. laugh.gif

And say, when did the Die Roller go down? Well, I put in a new one. Not as good as the old one though.

edited October 2008
    * <---tear for Oeseph

Any takers for the 1/2 off armor offer? I know it's a bit late in the game for that, but oh well.
    edited October 2008
    At this point, everything Kit could use must be magical to improve his stats.

Now Grove, on the other hand, is in a fantastic position to upgrade his gear. If Gandt creates some platemail for Grove, this will not only improve his AC by 1, but Grove can also sell that +2 breastplate for some nice cash. Stick it into that platemail, and that's +2 AC.

I wouldn't recommend that though. AC is nice, but with all the healing and protective abilities Grove has, it may be better to focus on finding ways to improve his spellcasting.
    edited October 2008
    I'll be out of town beginning Wednesday for the rest of the week. Hopefully I can get another update in tomorrow.
    edited October 2008
    We can do my annual Halloween competition while Keno is away.
    edited October 2008
    I dunno... I can't really imagine Gandt adapted to a modern setting.
    edited October 2008
    I dropped the whole modern thing. Now it's just a simple zombie bashing competition.
    edited October 2008
    But... wouldn't AoE spells instantly win?
    edited October 2008
    Zombies have just enough HP it's not easy for any mage at our level to deal room-clearing damage in one shot. Besides, they will be attacking you too, so while the mages will have their AoE spells, they're not likely to survive as long as Gandt.

I will also be taking steps to make sure it's fair. No kill stealing, no Crit. immunity, no mass grapple checks, etc.
    edited October 2008
    Okay, I'm in if everyone else is.

How many rounds does it last, or is it just until everybody dies?