If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

D&D: Savage tide Setup

Comments

• chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    I'll try not to kill Gandt while you're gone.
  • SoulweaverSoulweaver Artist - 6 Eyes Studio OrlandoFull Members
    edited March 2009
    O_O

Anyway, monster flu is gone, only be be replaced with a bad cold. It shouldn't interfere too much with my posting, but...

Over the next six weeks, I'll be moving to Montreal. That might interfere a bit.
    edited March 2009
    Montreal? Why there, if you don't mind my asking.
    edited March 2009
    To work for these people. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I don't speak French, so it's going to be... interesting.

edited March 2009
    cool

I started to make a joke about the only french word you would need to know, but then I realized that it would be a major violation of board policy.... and no, its not a translation of a 4 letter english word wink.gif

• TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Quote: wrote:
    I don't speak French, so it's going to be... interesting.

Yeah, good luck on that. Hope nobody there gives you too much trouble.
    edited March 2009
    (I'm lost in the wastelands... which is my way of saying I haven't had time to post an story update, and explaining why at the same time!)
    edited April 2009
    edited April 2009
    No... but then again, not too much has actually transpired since he last posted.

• bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited April 2009
    I'm pretty much in the last month hurricane of school.

A speech and an exam next week, plus at least one more speech and a couple more exams within the next month.

I'll try to post *less* suckily than I normally do, but I'll prolly be preoccupied elsewhere for the next month or so.

I'm so ready for it to be May. sleepy.gif
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited April 2009
    Ah, the halcyon days of college.

Say, Keno, can you put up a link to the Farshore task list from the Savage Tide main page?

Also, can you maybe cross off the tasks that have been completed, or write a note next to those that have been partially completed? I for one can't recall if Gandt completed the armorsmithing task or not, and I'd rather not dig through a dozen or so pages of the game thread to find out.
    edited April 2009
    I think Gandt got started on the blacksmithing task, but was interrupted. I also think Kit convinced Gandt to improve the colony's equipment, but I don't think Gandt started on that.

And wow, Bebop, what course are you taking? Sounds..."fun". biggrin.gif
    edited April 2009
    Could still use a status report on how far along those tasks are though.

Somebody should put a sticky in Bebop's posts that says "Will +2 for group". tounge2.gif

edited April 2009
    Yes. I need to sit down and calculate exactly where the colony is on that. The Olman architect/engineer guy is helping with the watch towers and the palisade currently. One watch tower is done. The Hellfire repairs are moving along at a good pace as well.
    edited April 2009
    These are the following spells that attach to a Hallowed site
    aid, bane, bless, cause fear, darkness, daylight, death ward, deeper darkness, detect evil, detect magic, dimensional anchor, discern lies, dispel magic, endure elements, freedom of movement, invisibility purge, protection from energy, remove fear, resist energy, silence, tongues, and zone of truth

Hard to say, obviously, if any fighting will be done in the graveyard, so the potential usefulness of the attached spell will be kinda suspect.

Still thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone had any suggestions.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited April 2009
    I'm under the impression the hallowing of the site is little more than a task that, once completed, will be done and forgotten. I don't see the point in attaching a spell. It's hallowed. Move on.

That said, there may be a reason or else nobody else would care. Perhaps we will fight in this area at some point. Or a mass of zombies will attack. I guess you should look at spell that has a direct usefulness rather than an indirect one. Cause Fear on a group of zombies will make them run for awhile, but once the fear wears off, they're still attacking zombies. Zone of Truth may get some amusing responses out of enemies, but I'd rather they die than tell the truth.

I suppose the safest bet is a good buff. A great negative condition spell could save our Derri
    edited April 2009
    I'll probably go with Aid, since that seems to have a pretty universal benefit.
    edited April 2009
    As a druid, Lia would have access to several spells that would help in construction. Soften Earth and Stone, Stone Shape, Summon spells (not sure if Lia has any that can summon earth elementals or not, but anything that could be used as a beast of burden or semi-intelligent helper). There are probably other uses for spells Lia has that can be adapted to aid the colony
    edited April 2009
    One of my players used this: http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/spells.htm

Very handy way to instantly reference spells during play.
    edited May 2009
    Time to aggressively poke Bebop and Myst methinks.
    edited May 2009
    I was suffering from a massive infection in my head, so I'm just now getting back on my feet. I might update today, but probably not.
    edited May 2009
    I have finally, in all these years of playing D&D, got a chance to really try out the Whirlwind Attack feat. And what have I discovered? Pretty much what I expected: useful, but definitely not worth the feats you have to take to get it. It's actually very risky, and a character focused on dealing damage is probably better off using extra attacks on a single target. The only time it is really useful is when you're fighting a lot of weaker monsters, but later in the game, when most monsters fight alone and have hundreds of hit points, you will see little use for it, unless you get really lucky and score a huge crit. and Cleave kicks in.

So why mention it? I found an unexpected use for it. 2-weapon wielders and 2-handers may put themselves at a lot of risk to use Whirlwind Attack, but tankish characters do not suffer any of these drawkbacks, and they can get an enormous amount of mileage out of it. It's certainly not uncommon to stick a tank warrior in a spot and have him or her defend that area from scores of enemies. Whirlwind Attack helps to spread that damage around. Can't use special abilities like Expertise while doing it, but I'll bet it's a heck of a lot more useful than, say, Power Attack.

I've been using a new house rule lately for Whirlwind Attack: everyone can do it, but it's treated like 2-weapon fight-there is a -10 penalty on the attacks. A feat improves the penalty to -4, or you can just set a "must have multiple attacks" pre-reqs.
    edited May 2009
    I've decided to add a "featurette" section at the bottom of my game posts. A round of whining in my other game has prompted me to inform players of ways they can use their D&D characters to their fullest potential, thus having more fun. I'll generally pick random abilites, feats, or skills and comment on them, possibly in response to events in game, possibly not. It will be entirely whimsical. I'm not trying to make anyone stand out, just trying to improve everyone's enjoyment of the game.

This is mostly in response to happenings in my game at RPG.net, I'm just gonna share the same insights with you guys. I was gonna start a thread for this, but I just don't see enough posting around here to justify it.
    edited May 2009
    I must buy this for Sin

1's
    edited May 2009
    Ha! Perfect! Now if we can only pull him away from his WoW warlock to see it.

Does he still post here?
    edited May 2009
    I haven't seen him in months, if not longer.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited May 2009
    Lia's Level up:

Level 2 Arcane Hierophant
    +5 HP (good job Martin)
    +1 BAB / + 1 Will Save
    Feat (from level 9) Natural Spell

Spellcaster Level: Divine Lv.7

Spells per day (Lv.0 1st): 6 5 5 4 2
    Bonus Spells Per Day (wis): - 1 1 1 1 -
    Spell Save DC: +4
    Spell Failure: 0%

SPELLS PREPARED:
    Lv. 0:
    Purify Food and Drink
    Detect Poison
    Resistance: Subject gains +1 bonus on saving throws.
    Guidance: +1 on one attack roll, saving throw, or skill check.
    Know Direction: You discern north.
    Cure Minor Wounds: Cures 1 point of damage.

Lv. 1:
    Cure Light Wounds: 1d8+1/caster level (max 5)
    Produce Flame (2): 1d6 damage +1/level, touch or thrown.
    Faerie Fire: Outlines subjects with light, canceling blur, concealment, and the like.
    Pass without Trace: One subject/level leaves no tracks.

Lv. 2:
    Flaming Sphere: Creates rolling ball of fire, 2d6 damage, lasts 1 round/level.
    Chill Metal: Cold metal damages those who touch it.
    Delay Poison: Stops poison from harming subject for 1 hour/level.
    Restoration, Lesser: Dispels magical ability penalty or repairs 1d4 ability damage.
    Heat Metal: Make metal so hot it damages those who touch it.

Lv. 3:
    Cure Moderate Wounds: Cures 2d8 damage +1/level (max +10).
    Dominate Animal: Subject animal obeys silent mental commands.
    Call Lightning: Calls down lightning bolts (3d6 per bolt) from sky.
    Poison: Touch deals 1d10 Con damage, repeats in 1 min.

Lv. 4:
    Flame Strike: Smite foes with Divine fire (1d6/level damage).
    Spike Stones: Creatures in area take 1d8 damage, may be slowed.

Spellcaster Level: Arcane Lv.5

Spells per day (Lv.0 1st): 4 4 3 3
    Arcane bonus spells: +1 spell for highest spell level*
    Bonus Spells Per Day (wis): - 1 1 1 1 -
    Spell Save DC: +4
    Spell Failure: 0%

SPELLS KNOWN:
    Lv. 0:
    All spells from all books

Lv. 1:
    Chill Touch: One touch/level deals 1d6 damage and possibly 1 Str damage.
    Magic Missile: 1d4+1 damage; +1 missile per two levels above 1st (max 5).
    Mage Armor: Gives subject +4 armor bonus.
    Obscuring Mist: Fog surrounds you.
    Ray of Enfeeblement: Ray deals 1d6 +1 per two levels Str damage.
    Shield: Invisible disc gives +4 to AC, blocks magic missiles.
    Shocking Grasp: Touch delivers 1d6/level electricity damage (max 5d6).
    True Strike: +20 on your next attack roll.

Lv. 2:
    Blindness/Deafness: Makes subject blinded or deafened
    Darkvision: See 60 ft. in total darkness.
    Invisibility: Subject is invisible for 1 min./level or until it attacks.
    Scorching Ray: Ranged touch attack deals 4d6 fire damage, +1 ray/four levels (max 3).
    Touch of Idiocy: Subject takes 1d6 points of Int, Wis, and Cha damage.

Lv. 3:
    Blast Wave: A powerful wave of force that deals 1d6 points of force damage per caster level to each creature within its area.
    Magic Missile, Vengeful: Magic missiles (1/level) strikes an attacker who successfully damages, for 1d4+1 damage.
    Grim Reaper's Scythe: A 20ft cone-shaped burst, the scythe deals 1d6/level negative energy damage

SPELLS PREPARED:
    Lv. 0:
    Flare: Dazzles one creature (–1 on attack rolls).
    Detect Poison: Detects poison in one creature or small object.
    Detect Magic: Detects spells and magic items within 60 ft.
    Read Magic: Read scrolls and spellbooks.

Lv. 1:
    Magic Missle, Shocking Grasp, Obscuring Mist, Mage Armor

Lv. 2:
    Invisibility, Scorching Ray. Touch of Idiocy

Lv. 3:
    Blast Wave, Magic Missile, Vengeful, Grim Reaper's Scythe
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited May 2009
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited May 2009