If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

D&D Savage Tide

24567108

Comments

  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    (I was thinking Gandt could use a CLW spell. He rarely casts spells anyway and it wouldn't deplete the wand)


    Kit is a little disheartened few of the party showed any interest in his prank, but all he really needs is Gandt to pull it off.

    "Good! This should do," Kit gives Lirith and Gandt a mischievious grin. "Avner sure loves that horse of his, doesn't he? You know, I've been looking forward to a nice, big steak for awhile now.

    No, we're not going to eat his horse, although I sure wouldn't mind. Let's find ourselves an animal we can pass as a horse, slaughter it, then pass it off as Avner's horse! Er...but we should disarm Avner first before we pull this prank off."
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Grove stares in disbelief at his new comrades actions.

    "I-Is this common behavior from your homeland?"
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    "But just where do you expect to find an animal like that?" Lirith asks. "We've not seen anything since we passed through that tunnel."

    Meanwhile, Urol begins brewing a rather pungent tea that can be smelled some distance from the tent, despite rain.

    Avner remains unconscious, where James left him.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    "We'll keep an eye out. Something will attack us eventually, so we can hold onto that until the next time we camp."
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Urol force feeds the unconscious form of Avner the tea, while James gathers the group together.

    "Look, I know Avner has been a pain, and I understand what happen to night was no more than what he had coming to him. Hopefully, when he wakes up, he doesn't remember any of this, or else we'll have trouble when we get to Farshore."

    James waits a moment to address any concerns or questions the group might have.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Kit blinks, then scowls. "He's the new lord of Farshore, isn't he? Or his family owns it in some way."



  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2008
    Lia looks thoughtful. "Maybe you should fill us in, with regards to Avner. Why he's here, why he's on this trip, and why we care about him making it in a single piece."
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • SoulweaverSoulweaver Artist - 6 Eyes Studio OrlandoFull Members
    edited February 2008
    "Yeah, what happens if he doesn't make it? I mean... look at him."
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    James looks at Amelia and Lirith and nods back towards the tent. Amelia leaves immediately, while Lirith hesitates, then walks away as well. Once the two leave, he gathers everyone around him.

    "Listen, I know you don't like him, and I don't like him either. But his family were partners in the original founding of Farshore. With the death of my parents, they have taken an even larger role in financing the expedition. Plus, Avner's uncle Manthalay was left in charge of the colony when my parents returned to Sasserine. Avner has quite a reputation in Sasserine and I figure he was sent on this expedition to get him out of town before he did something truly stupid. That being said, if he dies on our watch, there will be a lot of questions into his death, if for no other reason than the Meravanchi's trying to find some other way to gather political advantage."

    "I'm not asking you to like him, just keep him from getting killed until we get to Farshore."
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Kit grumbles before replying. "There goes my fun. It never pays to mess with nobles. Fine. Let's just get moving."

    Kit will then go see if Lirith still wants to "talk". blush.gif
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2008
    Lia looks at James, a thoughtful expression on her face.

    "Are you concerned that his death may already be proclaimed? We are lost at sea, after all. It is more than likely that his return to Farshore could cause quite a spectacle.

    "Is there someway we could contact the officials and have them send a party this way to assist in his return to Farshore? If he is so important, someone should be interested in bringing this news to light."
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • SoulweaverSoulweaver Artist - 6 Eyes Studio OrlandoFull Members
    edited February 2008
    "Babysitting then, is it?" Gandt grumbles. ?"There better be a big, fat reward waiting for us at Farshore..."

    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Is there someway we could contact the officials and have them send a party this way to assist in his return to Farshore?</div>
    "You got any ideas how to do that? ?If we can dump him off on somebody else, I'm all for it."

    Once the conversation wraps up, Gandt will just go to sleep.



  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Kit finds Lirith and the two wander off to a secluded spot to "talk". Among the various interesting things that Kit learns about her, is the fact that she seems to be quite familiar with nobles.

    ********************
    James looks at Lia with what can only be described as stunned disbelief. "If you don't have any spells that can be used, I certainly don't."

    "I think we just have trudge ahead, and make the best of the situation."

    ****************************************

    With that, James returns to the tent, and tries to get dry. The rain becomes a nasty drizzle accompanied by a thick fog that permeates everything and pretty much makes everyone miserable. It dissipates sometime after midnight.

    But other than that, the night passes without incident.

    Avner wakes up, holding his head. "Ow," he moans, "What hit me?"

    "You slipped on the wet rocks," James says smoothly. "Luckily, Urol saved you, but we thought it best to let you sleep."

    "Oh, thanks," Avner says groggily.

    (Any actions before we set out?)
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Kit wants to learn everything he can about Avner, and any families associated with his, from Lirith.
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Lirith is somewhat reluctant to talk about Avner, other than to say, "Avner may seem likeable at first, but underneath, he's a despicable cur. I learned that the hard way. He's also a braggart. You've probably heard him flaunt the number of women he's been with, its all a lie."

    She doesn't really know anything about the rest of the Meravanchi's, however.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Kit will use his undeniable charm, better known as Diplomacy, to make Lirith more willing to reveal everything she knows about Avner.
  • SoulweaverSoulweaver Artist - 6 Eyes Studio OrlandoFull Members
    edited February 2008
    In the morning, Gandt casts Detect Magic again, just as a precaution. He focuses especially on the path behind them.
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    "With Avner, its hard to know what is truth and what is fiction," Lirith explains to Kit as he presses farther. "I've heard a lot of things. Supposedly his father was afraid he'd cause a scandal that couldn't be covered up, and sent him on this voyage to get rid of him. Supposedly, he's a thief as well as a liar. Avner's never said anything about it to me, other than to say he's the family's official representative on this trip, a position he seems to regard as highly important. I think maybe he hopes his uncle will be dead, and he can take over the rulership of the colony."

    ***********************************

    Gandt scans the area. He detects some dim auras behind the party, and proceeds to investigate. About 200 yards from the camp site, he discovers numerous (20-30 in all) birds twisted into bizarre shapes. He's not sure what to make of the remains.
  • SoulweaverSoulweaver Artist - 6 Eyes Studio OrlandoFull Members
    edited February 2008
    Gandt tries to pinpoint the auras more closely. ?If he can't find any explanation, he approaches the group (Just James, Kit, and Lia for now, though Grove is free to overhear :) ) to show them what he found. ?"You guys better check this out."



  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Gandt detects dim auras of transmutation and abjuration magic.

    "What could have done this?" James muses, "and why? ?Lia, have you ever seen anything like this around Sasserine?"

    (And I should clarify, this isn't like the mutations caused by the Savage Tide.)



  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    "Probably the same person who created the globe of darkness that night," Kit will return any glare given to him. "I'm telling you, it wasn't me!"
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2008
    Lia shakes her head. "I can't recall anything that would do this."
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • SoulweaverSoulweaver Artist - 6 Eyes Studio OrlandoFull Members
    edited February 2008
    "Sounds about right," he says to Kit. In a way, he's admitting that Kit might have been telling the truth, but he doesn't say it in so many words.

    Gandt tries one more time to pinpoint the location of the auras. If they come from different sources, he follows the abjuration one. If he still finds no trace of their visitor, he says, "Let's go. We'll just have some company on our hike, is all."
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    The dim auras seem to be coming from the corpses of the birds themselves.

    The group packs up, and begins the trek through the pass. Almost immediately the come across more of the birds. James gingerly touches a few of them with a stick, and after nothing happens, sweeps them to the sides of the narrow trail. The group passes uneasily, but nothing happens.

    "Someone, or something, is obviously playing games with us," James whispers.

    Despite the unease, the morning passes quickly, with the party exiting from the pass into bright mid morning sunlight, that seems to lift the spirits of everyone. The road here is in remarkedly good shape, making traveling quicker. Just after midday, the party arrives at an abrupt end to the road. Sixty feet above the party's current location, the road continues south again. A bamboo platform hangs near the upper path's edge, suspended by several vines draped over a log driven into the cliff face above. The other ends of the vines hang down the cliff face and are attached to a second log at waist height on the lower ledge. Down below, a dozen or so abandoned huts line a wide but rocky beach.

    Grove and his party checked out the huts on their way up the road, finding them to be as abandoned as they look from above. They also made use of the lift.

    (Actions?)
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2008
    Lia looks around the area. She asks Tamaska if he smells anything unusual.

    "Have you been here before, Grove?"
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Tamaska doesn't smell anything unusual.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Kit examines the bamboo lift. "Does it still work? Whoever is messing with us may have sabotaged it. His or her whole plan could have been based on getting us to this point, having us fall, then finishing us off."
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Kit examines the lift and ropes. From his vantage point, it seems sturdy and in good working order (its large enough to hold 4 medium creatures at one time).
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    "It seems to be in good working order. I guess there is only one safe way to find out. We'll send one person first to test it out. So, we gonna draw straws?" Kit grins.
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    "Why don't we have Lia turn into that flying lizard thing and fly up and check the upper level, while we lower the lift down to this level?" James asks.
Sign In or Register to comment.