If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Music Thread

maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The StarsSomewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
edited February 2014 in Entertainment
Was talking with one of the music guys, and thought I'd start this.

Me, I like just about anything as long as it's not heavy metal. Jpop wise, I'm partial to Utana Hikaru (and not just because she wrote songs for Kingdom Hearts..)

By the way, I don't mind anyone posting music videos in this thread; Just unless you wrote that remix *winks to the music staffers* don't post mp3s here. Those might have copywrite issues..
93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
My personal page
New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.

Comments

• Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    I like 13everything1sncc!!!11!

No seriously... no one likes everything. I hate it when people say that. (not directed at any particular person, just in general)

I'm into extreme metal, particularly progressive, power and black of the european/scandinavian. I like late nineties popular nu-metal (limp bizkit, linkin park, disturbed), jazz fusion, classical piano orchestrations, epic movie soundtracks, some blues, some J-pop, James Brown. I utterly despise hip hop and rap, mainstream and underground. I can stand the more intelligent ones lyrically but there is still nothing to appeal to me musically in the genre.

And of course, industrial, preferably of the darker, more ambient variety.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • ACPACP A Crustacean in a Pot Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Everything on my mp3 player is either game music or early music, which is a weird mix when I put it on shuffle. The neat thing about game music is that it's easy to find tracks to fit my moods. For instance, when I'm uber busy, I set Grandia II's fight theme (2nd version) on indefinite loop. It focuses my mind like a laser!
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    - Mark Twain
  • VirtuosoVirtuoso Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Surprise. I was the guy she was talking to.

I hate rap too. My girlfriend and I, we have opposite tastes in music... she loves rap and hates metal. =P

And yeah point taken about posting of mp3s. I wouldn't post mp3s in the threads though, if I have a new remix it'll go on the site. laugh.gif
  • doriandorian Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (ConfessorRahl @ Feb. 11 2008,09:54)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I like 13everything1sncc!!!11!

No seriously... no one likes everything. I hate it when people say that. (not directed at any particular person, just in general)</div>
    Dude, really. That gets annoying fast, it's like people want to show off how worldly they are. And more often than not they actually mean they listen to some of the radio hits and some random artists here or there.
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (dorian @ Feb. 11 2008,11:50)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (ConfessorRahl @ Feb. 11 2008,09:54)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I like 13everything1sncc!!!11!

No seriously... no one likes everything. I hate it when people say that. (not directed at any particular person, just in general)</div>
    Dude, really. That gets annoying fast, it's like people want to show off how worldly they are. And more often than not they actually mean they listen to some of the radio hits and some random artists here or there.</div>
    And to me, whatever, there's nothing wrong with being radio friendly.

But don't pretend.

I guarantee you that a person who predominantly listens to Kelly Clarkson and Beyonce who says "I listen to everything" doesn't have Exhumed on their Ipod right alongside their Pink mix.

Err... rant over.

I recently picked up an excellent album called Waves of Visual Decay by a band called Communic. Dense as heck but beautiful too.

"Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited February 2008
    I can't stand bubblegum pop. It's a bastardized version of dance music. Also, I find it to be a huge chore to find country music that isn't paralyzingly depressing.

Me, I like rock, particularly metal/industrial. I also love rap, though I have trouble dealing with a lot of krunk. Do like Paul Wall and Three 6 Mafia though.

I actually love to see people from other countries rapping, seeing how they spin rhymes and beats. Here's an awesome Ukrainian joint, for example. I'd love to see more international rap artists more easily available in the US. Then again, the "world" category in most music stores is bleh, as you can't really find international artists of a particular style. Good luck finding some good international rap in those places.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    I like a bit of everything. My tastes range from classical, to metal, to punk, and you get the idea. Right now for example I have Brandi Carlile playing but after that on my shuffle is Agent Orange, and then Ziggy Stardust. I'm a big blues fan too, I'll probably end up listening to John Lee Hooker later.
  • Zidane TribalZidane Tribal Banned Banned Users
    edited February 2008
    I like anime opening and closing themes. Not sure if they count as music, though.

Here's a couple:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya - Hare Hare Yukai (closing theme)

Lucky*Star - Motteke! Sailor Fuku! (opening theme)
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    KOTOKO does the OP/ED for Shakugan no Shana (both seasons). ?I like all those songs. ?She also does OP/ED/insert stuff for other animes. ?Check the wikipedia link for the full list.

They call it J-Pop because it is very similar to american popular music. ?Is that right? ?Why do people rag on amercian pop so much and yet say they love J-pop? ?

Like a lot of Japanese animes, a lot of american animes (cartoons) have songs specially comissioned for their OP sequences. ?I don't know too much about the artists that produce those, though. ?ED sequences in american TV are filled with ads, so it isn't common to have a song there.

I don't own any music except for VG soundtracks that come with. ?I like VG music well enough. ?For my music, I listen to the radio. ?Yes, I know I'm a dinosaur. ?I like the pop and soft rock stations.

Maybe some of the younger forum members can let me know: Do you ever have exchange students from Japan at your school? Back when I was in high school, they had an assembly to introduce the exchange students that would be staying with us/ learning with us for a month. You could volunteer to be a host family for a student (my parents never did though). ANYWAY, at the assembly, the exchange students danced to a traditional Japanese song. I the students said they liked that song. I thought they were telling the truth at the time, but now I think they were lying. Classical japanese music is not the same as popular japanese music, and at the assembly they were trying to equate the two.

To the best of my knowledge, japanese music has every genre that we do except for country. Is that right?

• noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2008
    i had a roommate back in the day that said she liked everything and that made her better then most people for some reason.. she liked everything from classical to japanese rock and pop. she had mental problems. and i say that in all seriousness. i really think she was bipolar and didn't know it...

anyways.. i like classic rock, hard rock, nu metal, metal, new rock, alternative, grunge especially.. 90's rock.. techno, dance (moby, oakenfold, etc.) i listen to the radio too.. and there's KOMP in vegas i listen to religiously cause i like every song they play. they play stuff like pink floyd, pearl jam, disturbed and mudvayne.. then the newer bands like the killers. but i also like some artists that aren't really pop but aren't really rock either, like KT Tunstall and Feist. Then there's jack johnson too.

my favorite song to listen to atm is praise you by fatboy slim.

the only band i really hate that they play is nickelback. i really can't stand that band. whenever i hear them i just think of trailer parks and country bands that try to be rock but fail miserably.. sing something else besides doing your girl in the car. i don't really want to hear about that.

i can't stand country or bubblegum pop.. or any pop for that matter.. not a big fan of rap either. hip hop i could listen to if i had too, just not a big fan.
    nkkd01.jpg
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited February 2008
    I just opened foobar and played some tunes on shuffle while going through my daily internet grind. Genre-wise I got:

chiptune (8-bit revival), post-rock, post-hardcore, fusion (hip-hop / funk / dance), J-(hard)rock, indie, dream pop, progressive house, fusion (alternative / pop / hip-hop), metal, fusion (punk / reggae), fusion (spoken word / pop-rock), bluegrass, electro ["IT'S NOT 'IP-'OP IT'S ELECTRO"], folk (American), Celtic, bossa nova, hardcore punk, dancehall, mariachi, J-pop, cabaret, surf rock, alternative hip-hop, ska, classical, choir, experimental jazz, Cajun

So I ask our distinguished officers of the Music Secret Police, when what kind of music I listen to comes up in conversation what in tarnation AM I allowed to say? Your acceptance and approval are what I truly crave so I simply must know the answer to this dilemma.

Related: I agree it has become a trite figure of speech because people don't like talking about themselves but for someone like me it is in fact quite literally true. If I had a nickel for every time I'd heard, "Wow you weren't lying when you said you listen to anything," when people ride in my car for the first time I'd easily have two or three dollars. Easily.

edit: This is one of my favorite shirts that I own.

edited February 2008
    Death jazz... listen to Cryptopsy and Quo Vadis... or Spastic Ink... if you want a ridiculously wierd one, listen to Unexpect.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited February 2008
    I prefer Acid-jazz like what Angelo Badalamenti did on the Lost Highway soundtrack.

Um... I like alot of stuff.

I'll try to list some examples when I don't need to run to work.
    edited February 2008
    I've listened to Unexpect before. They'd be amazing if they didn't have laughable vocals.
    edited February 2008
    I gotta broaden my musical tastes if I'm gonna be a good remixer, but I still love metal. X-Japan makes my day. My remixing style also seems to be particularly influenced by the Black Mages.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    I listen to a very select few hard rock bands. Most of my musical interests center on the acoustic or symphonic side, with plenty of "Wow, that's weird" thrown in for good measure.

Neutral Milk Hotel is, of course, awesome. Davis and I have agreed upon this, so it must be true.

I won't say I'm the world's biggest Cat Power fan, but I would gladly bear Chan's children.

The Flaming Lips: Good stuff.

The Arcade Fire: Great stuff.

Modest Mouse: Awesome stuff.

Death Cab for Cutie: Used to be better.

Smoosh: Also used to be better.

PJ Harvey: Yes please.

The Sounds are pretty good. I like U2 and love the Rolling Stones, but I dislike the Beatles. Trachtenberg Family Slideshow Players was good for a bit, but got old.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (Jeffrey @ Feb. 13 2008,14:04)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">...

The Sounds are pretty good. I like U2 and love the Rolling Stones, but I dislike the Beatles. Trachtenberg Family Slideshow Players was good for a bit, but got old.</div>
    And I thought I couldn't take you any more seriously.
    edited February 2008
    What kind of Modest Mouse do you like, Jeff? Pre-Moon and Antarctica or post? If the former you should scope out Built to Spill.

Related: I found a Modest Mouse bluegrass tribute album a while back. It's amazingly awesome and really works quite well.

As for weird tunes, I've been partial to Family Fodder for a while now. Good luck acquiring their stuff by legal means though.
  • happytownhappytown Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Speaking of bluegrass and tributes, Nickel Creek is completely awesome.

This video is probably more representative of their work though. Chris Thile is one of the best mandolin players to have ever lived.

As far as other music, I like pretty much anything that's got a strong beat and that I can sing along to, which means a LOT of stuff. Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, and Queen are topping my list right now, but I like a lot of more contemporary stuff too. I also like Amy Winehouse, but she needs to get herself together.
  • nakamuranakamura Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    I well into Ram Rider.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kWZzZ_-B-og

Unfortunately his best tracks has gone from you tube.
    I like too much to list, Future Sound of London, Leftfield, Orbital, Prodigy, Red Hot Chillis, Bjork, Hikki, Cocco, Dreams Come True, Vangelis, Mike Oldfield...........

List goes forever.
    [url=\" Music[/url]
  • tebiantebian Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Well I am totally stuck on game soundtracks. I own large library of Final Fantasy related music and even run my own private radio station for our guilds on FFXI with this stuff. If your into gaming music I would say that Nobuo Uematsu is god, period. Have to admit Final Fantasy music 24/7 can be a little over the top I know so I add in some Zelda and Mario. Sorry no r/l for me I live in rpg land.... tounge2.gif
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (happytown @ Feb. 13 2008,07:09)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Speaking of bluegrass and tributes, Nickel Creek is completely awesome.

This video is probably more representative of their work though. Chris Thile is one of the best mandolin players to have ever lived.</div>
    Holy smokes I remember these guys. Target was pushing their self-titled release pretty heavy when I was a cog in their soulless machine. Never gave them a listen but I think I shall now when I go on my next overdue music binge.

Here's a sample from the album I was talking about. (For reference this is the song that's been covered.)

<div>
    (nakamura @ Feb. 13 2008,08:52)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I well into Ram Rider.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kWZzZ_-B-og</div>
    Aside from like three or four exceptions all the electronic stuff I've been listening to the last couple of months is electro. I feel kind of bad about that. sad.gif
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (tebian @ Feb. 13 2008,19:29)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Well I am totally stuck on game soundtracks. I own large library of Final Fantasy related music and even run my own private radio station for our guilds on FFXI with this stuff. If your into gaming music I would say that Nobuo Uematsu is god, period. Have to admit Final Fantasy music 24/7 can be a little over the top I know so I add in some Zelda and Mario. Sorry no r/l for me I live in rpg land.... tounge2.gif</div>
    I love game soundtracks. It's just unfortunate that it's so hard to buy them outside of iTunes in the US. I especially love the Grandia II, Perfect Dark Zero and Persona 3 soundtracks - amazing stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited February 2008
    I listen to mainly soft rock and game music.

Red Hot Chilli Pepers (though only a couple from the recent album), Gorilaz, Coldplay, REM (Again older stuff), and then you go back to the old Rock like Deep Purple and such (Corruption by the parent of course).

Umm, hate 99% of all POP, and variouse songs of all other genre EXCEPT Rap and R&B.

Oh and I visit OCRemix often biggrin.gif
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (Davis @ Feb. 13 2008,14:47)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">What kind of Modest Mouse do you like, Jeff? Pre-Moon and Antarctica or post? If the former you should scope out Built to Spill.

Related: I found a Modest Mouse bluegrass tribute album a while back. It's amazingly awesome and really works quite well.

As for weird tunes, I've been partial to Family Fodder for a while now. Good luck acquiring their stuff by legal means though.</div>
    I think We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank is their best album ever, really. But I did check out Built To Spill, and I'm definitely interested in hearing more.

I bought the girlfriend two CDs last night for Valentine's Day gifts. I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that I kinda dig Tegan and Sara.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
    edited February 2008
    Sigh. Desperately need to catch up on my knowledge of bands. I listen to entirely too much classical. A friend recently introduced me to Epica, and I love them. smile.gif
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (Virtuoso @ Feb. 14 2008,10:39)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Sigh. Desperately need to catch up on my knowledge of bands. I listen to entirely too much classical. A friend recently introduced me to Epica, and I love them. ?smile.gif</div>
    Go find some Explosions in the Sky. You'll thank me.
    edited February 2008
    Post-rock is awesome.

Scope out Do Make Say Think too while you're at it, Virtuoso. (Always a good idea to start out with the big names first.)
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (Virtuoso @ Feb. 14 2008,10:39)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Sigh. Desperately need to catch up on my knowledge of bands. I listen to entirely too much classical. A friend recently introduced me to Epica, and I love them. smile.gif</div>
    I'm going to see Symphony X w/Into Eternity and Epica opening... it is going to be GOD!
  • jihadcomplexjihadcomplex New Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I especially love the Grandia II, Perfect Dark Zero and Persona 3 soundtracks</div>
    The Persona 3 soundtrack (and the game) is a big favorite. As far as non-game music goes I'm really enjoying Twiggy Ramirez's (of Marilyn Manson) solo project "Goon Moon."