If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Music Thread

Comments

• King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Queens of the Stone Age, Eagles of Death Metal, Reverend Horton Heat, Incubus to name a few.
  • AforeNotationAforeNotation Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    I guess this would be an appropriate time to bring attention (shamelessly plug) the band in my signature, although I am quite sure everyone here will hate it.
  • NergalNergal The Don Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Hmmm... My favourite acts would have to be: The Chemical Brothers, Primal Scream, The Prodigy, Underworld, Orbital, New Order, Death in Vegas, Aphex Twin, Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails and The KLF, amongst others.
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited February 2008
    I could never get into KLF much but I appreciate Discordian musicians nonetheless.
  • Zidane TribalZidane Tribal Banned Banned Users
    edited February 2008
    I like the music in No More Heroes. IMHO it's one of the best soundtracks in the history of gaming.

Here are a few samples:

"The virgin child makes her wish without feeling anything".

There's also Dr. Peace's awesome boss battle BGM and "draw contest finish" BGM.

Bad Girl's boss battle theme.

The Genki Rockets "Heavenly Star" music video in the EU and JP versions.

The theme during the "Real Ending".
    edited February 2008
    "Heavenly Star" is a song from Lumines! That music video is the stage from the game!!!
  • Zidane TribalZidane Tribal Banned Banned Users
    edited February 2008
    I know, but that game can't have that song all to itself, Davy. Besides, it was a music video formatted or something to be in Lumines. No More Heroes just happens to have it as exclusive video in the European and Japanese releases.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    <div>
    (Davis @ Feb. 22 2008,14:34)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">"Heavenly Star" is a song from Lumines! That music video is the stage from the game!!!</div>
    Lumines II, technically. ?That game is a Dark God which long held sway over my soul; I am free from it, for now, but I fear it shall someday return to rule my heart once more.

The Lost Odyssey OST is quite good, as far as VG music goes.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
    edited March 2008
    Lumines is the greatest puzzle franchise ever. (Even if it's functionally broken.)

True story.
  • Fermat's Last TheoremFermat's Last Theorem Member Full Members
    edited April 2008
    As you may have noticed with my remixing style, I listen almost exclusively to instrumental classical music; Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Chopin and Mendelssohn being my favorites. I'm not very fond of classical vocal music, but there are a few exceptions such as Mozart's Der H?lle Kocht in Meinem Herzen from Die Zauberfl?te, especially the recording by Maria Callas.

Of course, I also listen to video game soundtracks, again, preferably instrumental. Final Fantasy Piano Collections and the arranged albums are mainstays in my playlist. I throw in a dash of Mitsuda, Hamauzu and Sakuraba and it's all good. As above, I'm very picky with the vocal tracks, Yoko Kanno's hauntingly beautiful Intro Theme from Ragnar?k Online II among the priveleged few to be on my list. I've always had a thing for her nonsense songs with beautiful melodic lines.

As for "modern" songs, I try to try a bit of everything and am, for the most part, tolerant. I must state, though, that I abhor rap "music," or as I call it, "fitting as many words as you can in a single melodic line that is comprised of at most three distinguishable notes." Rock is okay. I just turn the music down a bit so that my cerumen won't come jumping out of my auditory canals. laugh.gif

You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
    - George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah
    edited April 2008
    So what's the best cleaning solution for an ivory tower? I keep eroding mine when I do it and it's driving me up the wall.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited April 2008
    <div>
    (Davis @ Apr. 19 2008,17:58)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">So what's the best cleaning solution for an ivory tower? I keep eroding mine when I do it and it's driving me up the wall.</div>
    I love you, Davis.
  • HK-47HK-47 Member Full Members
    edited May 2008
    How about Billie Holiday, Nina Simone or B.B. King?
    And that Star Wars Theme, can never get enough of it.
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited August 2008
    Well SOAD (system of a down for those not in the loop) has been officially on hiatus for sometime now. Serj made a solo album called Empty Walls like back at the end of '07. Now Daron has made an album, they both kept in touch with the drummer from SOAD (or he kept in touch with both of them) Anyway I really suggest giving Scars on Broadway a listen. It's Daron's band and has much more of that old system feel...at least to me it does.

You can find the music video to "They Say" by Scars on Broadway on youtube. Daron is looking really freaking crazy I couldnt even recognize him. I kept saying that looks like the drummer from system and my friend told me it was daron's band. So yeah. Listen. Rock out.
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited September 2008
    For those who don't know (or care tounge2.gif ), Metallica releases their new album later today. I'm feeling pretty stoked about it. They are back with producer Rick Reuben, their producer for their first four albums. And that is the point right there, Metallica is back! Death Magnetic sounds like a good mix of Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, And Justice for All, with some overtones of Kill 'em All. Finally, they have made up for St. Anger. laugh.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • Seargent06Seargent06 Member Full Members
    edited September 2008
    I like a bit of everything as long as its not boring me to death and i can enjoy it.
    [url=\"http://obelisk1planethell.blogspot.com\"]Visit my blog[/url]

\"Smile It will confuse people and make them wonder what your thinking\"
  • GooseAssGooseAss Member Full Members
    edited September 2008
    i usually listen to talk radio (NPR and loveline), but if i do listen to music, it's mostly death metal (especially slam metal like devourment, guttural secrete, disconformity, etc), pop punk, and top 40 (i love me some fergie, e-40, 50 cent, etc). from about 1989-2002 or so my entire life revolved around the hardcore scene so i still bust that stuff out from time to time but mostly that genre has aged quite poorly.
  • NergalNergal The Don Full Members
    edited September 2008
    <div>
    (Nergal @ Feb. 22 2008,17:02)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Hmmm... My favourite acts would have to be: The Chemical Brothers, Primal Scream, The Prodigy, Underworld, Orbital, New Order, Death in Vegas, Aphex Twin, Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails and The KLF, amongst others.</div>
    I'd like to make a couple of additions to this list.

Firstly, I've been really addicted to Soulwax lately (I listened to their Any Minute Now album three times through today blush.gif) and deem them worthy of a place in my favourite music list.

Secondly, I've acquired a fair amount of Throbbing Gristle's discography and am thoroughly enjoying it. Consider them favourited!
  • - Locke -- Locke - Member Full Members
    edited September 2008
    For those who like techno-pop-funk, I suggest listening to some Chromeo, which I'm hooked on right now.

Try listening to their song "Fancy Footwork" to see if it's your thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms_C9AK8FRg
  • Seargent06Seargent06 Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    anything i find interesting and doesnt bore me out of my mind and it also depends on my mood.
    [url=\"http://obelisk1planethell.blogspot.com\"]Visit my blog[/url]

\"Smile It will confuse people and make them wonder what your thinking\"
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Mostly swapping between a hell of a lot of power metal (namely Kamelot, Pyramaze, and Communic), and the piano orchestrated Final Fantasy albums. Can't get enough of either.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • VigivalgusVigivalgus Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    So what's the best cleaning solution for an ivory tower? I keep eroding mine when I do it and it's driving me up the wall.
    I knew there was a reason I clicked on this thread.

I just started listening to Beirut yesterday. This song (Elephant Gun) is awesome.
  • Psycho PenguinPsycho Penguin Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Right now I am really into Disturbed, Linkin Park, Puddle of Mudd... and werewolf Cat Dolls and Kelly Clarkson. My music taste is VERY varied, to say the last.
    edited October 2008
    Beirut is mother truckin' top shelf, Vigi. This is my personal fav song of his.

PP, you just spawned this, congratulations!
    Quote: wrote:
    <[redacted]> got any Norwegian jazz?
    <Davis> I do actually
    <Davis> jaga jazzist

Also you guys need to get on last.fm and add me if you haven't already!
  • Psycho PenguinPsycho Penguin Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I added you, I am JuanDixon on there.
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    It is easier just to post my last.fm account.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • AntaeusAntaeus Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    It is easier just to post my last.fm account.
    last.fm doesn't always give the best overview of someone's musical taste. for example: my own last.fm charts, it has most of my listening habits recorded since 2004. My taste changed a lot since 2004, but there are still artists from back then in my top artists.

Anyway, I listen to a lot of different things. I listen to metal, electronic, videogame music, classical music, the avant-garde, and some bands/artists that are hard to put into one genre tounge2.gif
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Man, I get saddled with capped internet for one (horrible) month and I forget all about my Home.fm account. Well, there it is. Add me as a friend if you can believe that I listen to Jethro tull in this day and age.

• bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Quote: wrote:
    last.fm doesn't always give the best overview of someone's musical taste. for example: my own last.fm charts, it has most of my listening habits recorded since 2004. My taste changed a lot since 2004, but there are still artists from back then in my top artists.

For me, though, it does. My tastes don't really change, they more or less expand.

If anyone finds themselves without absolutely nothing to do, so much so that even staring at the ceiling seems like a losing proposition, take a gander through my artist list.

It ranges from Rush(progressive/progressive metal) to ABBA(pop rock/disco). I've got a little country thrown in there, plus I'll probably be adding some older hip-hop when I get the chance. As cliche as it sounds, I will listen to practically anything, except maybe some of the more hardcore metal/death metal. Scream singing has never appealed to me all that much.

\"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Currently blasting Before the Dawn's new album Soundscape of Silence... freaking FREAKING amazing! Just beyond awesome, album of the year without a doubt.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."