If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Music Thread

Comments

• Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited May 2010
    I just realized that The Dio is dead. Dammit.
    I can't believe it either. It's almost unreal.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited May 2010
    Jim Sterling said it best:
    Quote: wrote:
    Dio? Dead? Impossible. As he transcends such things as mortality, I believe he simply chose to stop living.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited May 2010
    Let's just say that heaven and/or hell got a lot more awesome at the expense of earth.
    edited May 2010
    Jim Sterling said it best:
    Quote: wrote:
    Dio? Dead? Impossible. As he transcends such things as mortality, I believe he simply chose to stop living.
    Hear hear!
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • NergalNergal The Don Full Members
    edited June 2010
    Bark Psychosis' Hex is clinically/scientifically proven to be the best late-night/early morning music ever conceived. The rest of their output is spectacular too.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2010
    No mention of the excellent Poets of the Fall? (You may have heard them on the Max Payne 2 credits or several times during Alan Wake as themselves or Old Gods of Asgard) Locking Up the Sun or Given and Denied for examples ^^

Most of my stuff is varying forms of rock/alternative, some other favourite artists off the top of my head being The Wallflowers, Starsailor, Muse, Beck, The Black Mages, The Protomen, Interpol, Kasabian etc. There's a fair few Japanese artists I really enjoy too such Ayumi Hamasaki, Bump of Chicken, Flow, High and Mighty Color.

Sorry if that's bit boring/dull, but I do like lists rock.gif
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited June 2010
    Listening to a LOT of Redemption (vocalist for Fates Warning Ray Alder is FINE form with this band). They slay.
    edited June 2010
    Poets of the Fall
    I thought you were referring to The Fall as poets there tounge2.gif
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited June 2010
    Apparently the Gorillaz 3rd album is out, no signs of it down under yet though.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
    edited June 2010
    Apparently the Gorillaz 3rd album is out, no signs of it down under yet though.
    You sure? I haven't checked or anything, but I have a few friends who've got it. In any case, it's pretty great if nothing to write home about too excitedly.

2010 is looking pretty good for music. A pretty amazing recent album from Massive Attack and awesome upcoming stuff from UNDERWORLD (absolute favourite band) and The Chemical Brothers (who I've loved since I was 8 years old).
    edited June 2010
    Enjoying the new Nevermore album "The Obsidian Conspiracy" It's different, much more progressive and moody but still heavy, a very interesting new direction for the band
    edited June 2010
    New Chemical Brothers album makes my ears so happy. inlove.gif
    edited June 2010
    Probably because I never go to music stores anyways. If it is out, i am surprised that there hasn't been more noise about it, especially due to how popular the second was.

I do enjoy what Gorillaz do on Youtube in regards to there marketing through it.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    edited June 2010
    Picked up this killer disc from a norwegian band called Aspera. They are in their teens and early twenties but they play like they've been doing it for decades. Those scandinavians are beasts when it comes to perfecting their instruments, and they write some really innovative stuff!
    edited October 2010
    I've been on a massive Swans kick lately. They recently reformed and released an excellent album, My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky. Possibly my favourite record of the year so far. I've also been cranking a lot of their early-mid 80s stuff. Really heavy and really really addictive. I'm currently going through their mellower mid-period stuff which is also great, but in a totally different way to the industrial grind of the early stuff.

Am also trying to devour the massive discography of Nadja. They've released multiple albums every year for the past 5 years. Collecting is a formidible undertaking, but the music is soooooo good. I love putting my headphones on, laying back, closing my eyes and immersing myself in the veritable oceans of sound they create. Their covers are really cool too. They do a version of My Bloody Valentine's "Only Shallow" that I may actually prefer to the original (which is saying quite a lot- MBV is one of my favourite bands). Aidan Baker, one half of Nadja, also has a truckload of excellent solo releases. His sound is decidedly more ambient that Nadja's intense drone. The Sea Swells a Bit... comes highly recommended. The title track is 21 minutes of pure sonic wonder.
    edited October 2010
    Multiple albums for five years, and they are good? How? I've never seen anyone do that and not have the music sound like shovelware
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited November 2010
    I mainly listen to power/symphonic metal, especially from the South European scene. Some of my favourite bands are Rhapsody of Fire, Dark Moor, Falconer, Blind Guardian, Fairyland, Dreamaker, White Skull, Crystal Eyes, Nightwish (with Tarja), Iron Maiden and of course Manowar. Some of these aren't particularly well-known and some aren't even full-time musicians, but there are pros to that; like I can have my favourite vocalist (Elisa Mart
    edited December 2010
    I am going to see Blind Guardian this Wednesday!!! I've seen them twice and they are always a blast, and the fact that the new album SLAYS is a plus.

Currently watching/listening to David Gilmoure: Remember That Night. A wonderful live performance at the Royal Albert Hall where he performs his entire 2006 solo album On An Island, and a ton of Pink Floyd, including the bulk of Dark Side of the Moon, and select epics rarely played, like Fat Old Sun, Shine One You Crazy Diamond in its entirety, and Echoes (yes, ECHOES!). It was also the last performance before the way too early passing of the amazing Richard Wright. Fantastic, highly recommended for anyone that likes music.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited December 2010
    I am going to see Blind Guardian this Wednesday!!! I've seen them twice and they are always a blast, and the fact that the new album SLAYS is a plus.

I went to see them a few years ago when they were in Oslo.

I don't really see the appeal of concerts though; throngs of people, high entry fees and quality of the music is a lot lower than the studio recordings, especially with metal bands as they tend to drown their vocals.
  • ChillmarshChillmarsh Mid20s Mutant Ninjaturtle Full Members
    edited January 2011
    Wow, actually came into this thread looking to discuss Gorillaz.

They recently released a free album in time for Christmas. It was mostly recorded on an iPad, so you may wanna judge it with a rose-tinted lens.
    edited January 2011
    OOh, Gorillaz music,. me wanty!

been listening to the're Plastic beach album (and trying to get people to guess what Some kind of Nature is about)
  • StormofSwordsStormofSwords Crazed Bullet Miser Full Members
    edited February 2011
    Okay, so who caught the grammys last night? I was extremely impressed. Cee Lo Green, Eminem, and Arcade Fire all had spectacular shows, and Mick Jagger, Muse, Esperanza Spalding and Bob Dylan did not fail to offer a little class to spice things up. The insurgents fighting on the stage below Muse was a little weird, but it was a great song, if performed a little off. Hell, even Justin Bieber(who I usually hate)did pretty damn good. I mean, he had Ninja drummers performing with him. Mind = Blown, even if you can see one mess up a backflip and limp off stage.(Breaking your back for Justin Bieber...I really hope the guy got paid well.) All in all, I loved it.

Did anyone else?
    Madness is a complete statement. Saying more would be pointless.
  • RazaRaza Member Full Members
    edited October 2011
    Hearing anyone mention Blind Guardian makes me wish even harder for another Demons & Wizards albumn. I dug TBTCK.

Also, if anyone's a fan of Katatonia or to a lesser extent Opeth, you've gotta check out Ghost Brigade. New CD just came out about a month ago.
    A critic is someone who stands on the mountaintop high above to watch a battle, and then comes down to shoot the survivors.
    -Hemingway
    edited October 2011
    Raza wrote: »
    Hearing anyone mention Blind Guardian makes me wish even harder for another Demons & Wizards albumn. I dug TBTCK.

Also, if anyone's a fan of Katatonia or to a lesser extent Opeth, you've gotta check out Ghost Brigade. New CD just came out about a month ago.

Just saw Katatonia and Opeth on Tuesday in SF. Katatonia were incredible, and Opeth were perfect and terrible at the same time. Perfect playing, garbage setlist that consisted entirely of new stuff and bad b-sides. Not one heavy song.

Ghost Brigade are amazing.
    edited October 2011
    Just saw Katatonia and Opeth on Tuesday in SF. Katatonia were incredible, and Opeth were perfect and terrible at the same time. Perfect playing, garbage setlist that consisted entirely of new stuff and bad b-sides. Not one heavy song.

Ghost Brigade are amazing.

That's pretty depressing about the setlist. I loved Damnation and still do, but i dunno...you'd go to Opeth and expect at least some of both, heavy and light. They're a band i want to like more than do, especially with Mikael's epic voice but honestly i rarely listen to them anymore.
    A critic is someone who stands on the mountaintop high above to watch a battle, and then comes down to shoot the survivors.
    -Hemingway
    edited January 2012
    Soooo I've got an amazing concert month coming up. Roger Waters - The Wall in April, and Symphony X/Iced Earth co-headlining in February. So beyond stoked!
  • Dynamite_NickDynamite_Nick Doer Of Things Full Members
    edited February 2012
    Oingo Boingo is currently making sweet, sweet love to my ears right now. And my ears are loving every minute of it
    "Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete"

— Rod Serling
  • ToiletAndBowelsToiletAndBowels New Member Full Members
    edited March 2012
    Multiple albums for five years, and they are good? How? I've never seen anyone do that and not have the music sound like shovelware

e.g. the Beatles & Miles Davis
    edited March 2012
    New OSI cd coming out the end of March, "Fire Make Thunder". If it's half as good as Blood or Free I'll be stoked.
    -Hemingway
    edited March 2012
    Listening to the Mass Effect 3 and silent Hill Downpour OST.