If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Music Thread

1235»

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2012
    I ended up getting a copy of the Baten Kaitos Origins OST, so I'm listening to that right now. I still think Le Ali del Principio is just beautiful, and I'm STILL surprised that Sakuraba's 9 year old (at the time) daughter was the singer in it. The song brings me to tears everytime just from how beautiful it truly is.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited August 2012
    I ended up getting a copy of the Baten Kaitos Origins OST, so I'm listening to that right now. I still think Le Ali del Principio is just beautiful, and I'm STILL surprised that Sakuraba's 9 year old (at the time) daughter was the singer in it. The song brings me to tears everytime just from how beautiful it truly is.

Seriously. Late reply I know, but that whole soundtrack is just gold.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • CaostotaleCaostotale Member Full Members
    edited December 2012

Sakuraba's music is excellent. While his work is certainly not as inventive as Nobou Uematsu's best music or as magically poignant as Yasunori Mitsuda's work, his music is still very gripping and satisfying. I like how his more-exciting battle themes verge closer to the music you'd expect in a Mega Man X title.

As I've been playing a Wild ARMS game, I've been spending a lot of time listening to Michiko Naruke's soundtracks for that series and what few other works of hers are out there. She's truly a remarkable composer and an incredibly economical arranger. I've never heard an instrument that sounds out of place in her work. As well, she might be one of the best of the RPG composers in regards to her understanding of of percussion and drum patterns.

As a random example, I love the quirky theme for Lilka's character in WA2, called 'Magical Girl Entrance.' It's a pretty simple set of keyboard chords playing a syncopated pattern over a straight beat, but the instrumental decoration around this framework manages to pull sounds from all over the place (bassoon, pizzicato strings, talking drum sound, water bell) without making the piece sound like a mess. Other woodwinds enter at the end, giving the piece a satisfying lushness and nobility that balances its quirkiness nicely.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Havent posted here yet SO i just leave you with the music I listen too. Black Folk Viking and Pagan Metal are by far my favorites.
  • AcathalaAcathala Member Full Members
    edited February 2013
    Looking for the song that plays through the Vega and Chun Li fight in Streetfighter 2 the animated movie.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited February 2013
    Acathala wrote: »
    Looking for the song that plays through the Vega and Chun Li fight in Streetfighter 2 the animated movie.

Not sure why I know this, but I believe the name of that song is Ultra by KMFDM.
  • Miss_darkwoodMiss_darkwood Member Full Members
    edited August 2013
    I really liked Persona 3's sountrack, and I use it during work to lessen the torture of being bound to a desk for eight hours, especially for Monday-Thursday blues.
  • Emmanuel VandelEmmanuel Vandel New Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Virtuoso wrote: »
    Surprise. I was the guy she was talking to.

I hate rap too. My girlfriend and I, we have opposite tastes in music... she loves rap and hates metal. =P

And yeah point taken about posting of mp3s. I wouldn't post mp3s in the threads though, if I have a new remix it'll go on the site. laugh.gif
    Lol the same story is happening with me because me and my girlfriend both have oposite likes and dislikes even about music.She too hates metal and like to hear and enjoy rap whereas i hate rap .
    I always enjoy mp3 during working on my laptop.
  • goateguygoateguy Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Caostotale wrote: »
    Sakuraba's music is excellent. While his work is certainly not as inventive as Nobou Uematsu's best music or as magically poignant as Yasunori Mitsuda's work, his music is still very gripping and satisfying. I like how his more-exciting battle themes verge closer to the music you'd expect in a Mega Man X title.

As I've been playing a Wild ARMS game, I've been spending a lot of time listening to Michiko Naruke's soundtracks for that series and what few other works of hers are out there. She's truly a remarkable composer and an incredibly economical arranger. I've never heard an instrument that sounds out of place in her work. As well, she might be one of the best of the RPG composers in regards to her understanding of of percussion and drum patterns.

As a random example, I love the quirky theme for Lilka's character in WA2, called 'Magical Girl Entrance.' It's a pretty simple set of keyboard chords playing a syncopated pattern over a straight beat, but the instrumental decoration around this framework manages to pull sounds from all over the place (bassoon, pizzicato strings, talking drum sound, water bell) without making the piece sound like a mess. Other woodwinds enter at the end, giving the piece a satisfying lushness and nobility that balances its quirkiness nicely.

One of my favorite video game related music albums is the piano remix music from the Wild Arms series. I think it is called Wild Arms Music The Best -feeling wind- please go find it and listen to it! Lol. It has some really cool and smooth piano pieces in there.
    If I don't make it home, tell my wife I said Hello.

--Neutral Planet President

You can find awesome fractal art at my website: http://goateeguy.deviantart.com
  • goateguygoateguy Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    While I am too young to understand the Soviet-American/Capitalism-communism differences from an emotional standpoint but I have a basic understanding of it from an academic standpoint (which is where having that history degree comes in handy, unfortunately I can't say the same about job prospects). One of my favorite songs to of come from a 1980's movie is the Soviet Theme sung by that awesome sounding choir in the Hunt for the Red October. http://youtu.be/rPsL2WVhFCc
    If I don't make it home, tell my wife I said Hello.

--Neutral Planet President

You can find awesome fractal art at my website: http://goateeguy.deviantart.com
  • sprite nostalgistsprite nostalgist New Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Speaking of eastern european music I've really gotten into Max Richter. He's composer who normally scores movies and the like but has a song called "Maria the Poet 1913", which is just hauntingly beautiful.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited September 2015
    Woo, sudden thread revival!

While I was in Tokyo, I picked up the latest Sound Horizon album, Nein. I absolutely love the soundtrack to Bravely Default, and enjoy the Attack on Titan openings, which were composed by the group's leader, Revo. While I listened to a handful of other Sound Horizon songs, this the first time that I've listened to a whole album of theirs. Most of their albums are concept albums. Nein in particular, apparently, has heavy references to and what-if scenarios for previous songs and albums. Of course, all that flew over my head as I listened to it. It's not like I can understand Japanese anyway.

It is excellent music, regardless. I think my favorite is the 9th track, "Wasurena Tsukiyo." I'll be sure to check out their earlier albums.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs