If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

OH MY GOD WHERE DID RPGAMER GO???

JeffreyJeffrey MemberFull Members
edited October 2008 in Forum Rules & Announcements
Yes, the boards look different. No, it's not because you forgot to take your pills.

No, this current look is not permanent; we're working diligently to make the boards look less lame and vanilla.

In the meantime, carry on as usual, and if you notice anything glitchy or weird regarding the new boards, let us (and by us I mean me) know.
[url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
\"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB

Comments

• HeeHoHeeHo Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I and everyone else was an admin when I first looked at it but now it's gone, I was hoping to whip out the ban hammer and lay some judgements!

I don't think your "quote" html displays correctly and sometimes some posts are completely blank where there was something before.

That is all I have noticed so far, other than it being an eyesore. tounge.gif
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Thanks Heeho!
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Going through some of the threads, safe to say that the old emoticons and the quoting system is borked up.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2008
    The quotes and spoilers break every time we upgrade the forums no.gif If any of the moderations of the old boards can be salvaged, they will be.
  • BoltsBolts This made France awesome. Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I think there might be a problem with the messanger. I'm showing 1 unread message though my inbox is completely empty.
    que?
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Besides appearing to run faster are there any new snazzy features we should know about?
  • OliviaOlivia Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I like this layout. It's so much cleaner and unobtrusive.

Also, there aren't those dumb pop-up ads, which is wonderful (seriously, do you guys really need money enough to use those things? ^^")

Anyway, as long as the boards are up I don't really care how they look.

\"I was always a rebel and probably could have got much farther had I changed my attitude. But when you think about it, I got pretty far without changing attitudes. I'm happier with that.\" – Veronica Lake
  • SilentwolfSilentwolf Only Silence Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I was editing my help post and found that it garbled.

For some reason edits are causing some HTML to appear in posts, at least for me. And then of course the boards don't parse it. It's fine for little posts like this, but bigger ones will get chunked up.

Lolz board upgrade omg de ja vu

Edit: Actually, HTML seems to be working in this post. Which is even more bizarre, because I was under the impression that that was all restricted and stuff. Yet my help post was garbled when I edited it and I had to manually fix it? Wtf.

Every sailor knows the tale
    of those becalmed at sea
    though at peace they can be found
    at peace they never be.
  • sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited October 2008
    Older posts are probably affected and newer ones probably aren't. The html restrictions will probably come back. I'll have to ask Jeffrey what he wants there.

Also, popup ads are due to the header not being incorpoated into the board layout. That'll also probably come back, since Firemyst likes money.

On a related note, spoiler tag's working again.

Now, I sleep. Tomorrow I can look at issues like manged
    blocks.
    179811.png
    edited October 2008
    <3 Sabin. Just thought you should know.
    edited October 2008
    Urk. I adjusted the board time in my profile because we hit daylight savings time here a couple of days back and it switched the board skin to this green thing, lol. I worked out how to change it back, but I wasn't aware we had different skins.

of those becalmed at sea
    at peace they never be.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I've noticed that accents, symbols, etc (Alt+#'s) no longer show up. Instead, we get little boxes. This is a minor problem, but, if you all can ever make time to fix it, I'd be very grateful.
    ClixPsi.png
  • JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Besides appearing to run faster are there any new snazzy features we should know about?
    Not directly board-upgrade-related, but...because this layout is much more spacious, I've upped the avatar restrictions to 150x150.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited October 2008
    *attempts to adjust his screen*

Dear (deity) what hath we wrought?

So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Is it just me or is the board too... white?
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Any way to separate the signature text from the posts? They`re a bit close, making everyone's post into a wall o text.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2008
    Don't panic if you see pre-upgrade posts edited by me; for some threads just hitting edit and re-posting fixes issues.
  • sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited October 2008
    I've noticed that accents, symbols, etc (Alt+#'s) no longer show up. Instead, we get little boxes. This is a minor problem, but, if you all can ever make time to fix it, I'd be very grateful.
    They show up, but only in new posts. This is due to switching from iso-8859-1 to UTF-8 (so that we now support more international characters).The old posts need to be re-edited or ignored. See?
    179811.png
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Not directly board-upgrade-related, but...because this layout is much more spacious, I've upped the avatar restrictions to 150x150.
    love.gif
    edited October 2008
    I think I've fixed the old smilies and quotes now too.
    179811.png
    edited October 2008
    Looks like they are fixed!
    edited October 2008
    Well, looks like "fixed." The ones that vanished should now be readable. And the ones that have been "fixed" to have formatting still show the author info above the quote box instead of inside it like it would in a newly made quote. That would require one heck of a regular expression to fix, and I'm not sure I'm up to the task, so I think I'll just leave it for now.

Also, editing or quoting old quoted posts seems to screw up the line breaks, due to the new boards doing linebreaks differently. I'll see if I can do something about that.

Also, Firemyst made a change today to fix an issue where we were getting hangs if too many people were using the boards at once. Thanks firemyst.

Finally, here's the full feature list for the version we're on:
    http://ikonforums.com/features

Many of those things aren't new, but if you see something that is, then that's what's new for this version. Sorry that I don't have a better list of just the changes.

The thing I do know we have now, is some ajax here and there. So for example, when you do a quick reply now, it just updates it on your screen immediately, without having to refresh the page. That's pretty neat.

I've set everyone's skin to be the rpgamer skin now by default. Some people seemed to have gotten stuck with some of the..shall we say greener options without knowing it. You'll have to log out and back in to the see the differnet skin. Or go into your account options and switch it to another one then back to rpgamer.
    179811.png
    edited October 2008
    I've noticed that with this upgrade, the length of people's member level (title) seems to have shrunk. Some people who previously had long titles have had the ends cut off.
    of those becalmed at sea
    at peace they never be.
    edited October 2008
    I've noticed that with this upgrade, the length of people's member level (title) seems to have shrunk. Some people who previously had long titles have had the ends cut off.
    Looks like it's limited to 40 characters now. It's a hard limit in their database setup, so I don't think I want to mess with that.

Also, I think I've fixed the issue with the br tags showing up/linebreaks messing up when you edit posts.

Fixed some 15000+ posts with older quote styles that weren't showing up at all.
    Fixed some 40000+ other posts that had older quote styles that didn't have a box for the quote, they do now, though it's a little different than the newer one.
    179811.png
  • FoxworthFoxworth Practical Problem Solver Administrators
    edited October 2008
    Looks like it's limited to 40 characters now. It's a hard limit in their database setup, so I don't think I want to mess with that.

Also, I think I've fixed the issue with the br tags showing up/linebreaks messing up when you edit posts.

Fixed some 15000+ posts with older quote styles that weren't showing up at all.
    Fixed some 40000+ other posts that had older quote styles that didn't have a box for the quote, they do now, though it's a little different than the newer one.
    Hey Sabin, IM me which table it's using for that and I'll take a look at it. Depending on the data type for that field we may be able to increase it w/o messing with performance (much).
    This space for rent.
    edited October 2008
    Running into some odd errors changing my signature. Aside from HTML working fine in sigs, the quote button doesn't seem to work properly (I click it and nothing happens?). Thought I'd mention it.
    of those becalmed at sea
    at peace they never be.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited October 2008
    The boards are still fugly, but I like the fact that you have upgraded.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Not very pretty, but the upgrade is pretty sleek
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited October 2008
    There is an option for members to delete their own accounts. I think that option should be disabled for us lowly peons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business