If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Radiata Stories

omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know?RPGamer Staff
edited October 2008 in Staff Review Blogs
I've always counted Radiata Stories among my favorite PS2 games, and picking it up again, it's easy to remember why. Everything about the game is polished to an incredible level that frankly makes SO3 look like a joke by comparison. The graphics are crisp and gorgeous, even on a hi-def TV (though with PS3 upscaling, to be fair. It still looks twice as good as SO3) and the character designs are whimsical and generally just plain awesome. The localization is great, the dialogue flows wonderfully, and the game is just filled with charm and humor right from the start.

I've put in a few hours so far today, and it's been easy to jump right back into the world. And it's a huge world. The castle alone could take hours to explore, and while I walked around a lot of it, it's just so damn big that it's easy to get lost. I've already discovered several things that I missed on my earlier playthroughs - and that's another thing that's great about the game. With a constantly flowing clock, citizens that move around all day, and an enormous world to explore, it's virtually impossible to find everything in this game; there's just so much.

Even the battle system, which is admittedly a lot slower-paced than SO3, is still a lot of fun. The combat even has a comical feel, as the characters are quite clearly not the most skilled at what they do, and you'll often see Ridley or Ganz stumbling or even falling down when trying to attack. I haven't unlocked the meat of the battle system at this point in the game, namely, the Link and Command systems, but I'm still having a lot of fun.

On a final note, this will be my fourth playthrough of this game, and with this playthrough I hope to achieve 100% completion of the friends book. I acquired all the nonhuman characters in my last playthrough, so this time I intend to get the humans that I missed out on. Hopefully I can pull it off.

10/20/08 - 08:45

Party: Jack, Edgar, Cosmo, Gene

A bit farther in now. I've left the castle and am getting into the meat of the game, though I still have a little bit farther to go before the Link system becomes available. I'm spending a lot of time getting characters recruited and making sure I don't miss any. Gotta fill in those last twenty or so names!

The discussion came up a bit farther down the thread, but I absolutely love Radiata's music. It's among my favorite game soundtracks, and it does wonders to heighten the game's spirited mood. Despite what some would have you believe, it isn't ALL jazz. There is definitely a jazzy influence to a lot of the more upbeat songs, but it's not true jazz, rather it's more of a hybrid of jazz/big band and classical music.

The jazzier tunes are limited to background music when exploring the town and world outside, for the most part, by the way. Major scenes generally have specialized music to fit whatever mood the story is bringing around.

The game does one other bit with music that I absolutely love, and that's adding little musical trills and bursts during some of the cutscenes to heighten the scene, almost like an old cartoon show. I've never seen another game do this, and it works wonderfully.

10/20/08 - 09:45

I'd totally forgotten about this, but it deserves a mention for it's sheer awesomeness. After <span class="spoiler">Ganz and Jack are fired from the Knights and Ganz joins the bandit guild</span>, Ganz starts wearing a different outfit. The outfit is the same as Claude wore in Star Ocean 2, right down to the red headband. It even says Star Ocean on the back of it!

I know tri-Ace loves to throw in fan service from their other games, but this one of the more unusual ones they've done.

Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...

Comments

• FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I couldn't get into this game when I tried it. Maybe I should give it another shot now that it's cheap...
  • RenmazuoRenmazuo Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Ah come on, it can use some more polish!

Specifically, I think a system to speed up time alla Brave Fencer Musashi would have been a pleasent touch. A little too much waiting.

Also, it's annoying how you can kick everything and there might be an item inside. I don't want to kick every single obstacle in the game, on the off chance of getting a useful for item, when 90% of obstacles don't have anything, and 90% percent of obstacles that do have something have something completely useless. Also, the option to get into fights with town people was interesting, but they neglected to give you any reason to do so. No items. No recruiting people by defeating them in these showdowns. Simply put, the amount of kicking necessary wasn't really worth the investment of kicking at all.

While Radiata was fun to explore, it was kind of disappointing that almost 100% of the exploration was via branching paths, as opposed to area exploration like Star Ocean 3 or Dragon Quest 8. The dungeon design was pretty terrible.

• DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited October 2008
    The battle system was much slower than SO3 but it was an infinitely more charming game.
  • TheMaddnessTheMaddness Inmate Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Ah come on, it can use some more polish!

Specifically, I think a system to speed up time alla Brave Fencer Musashi would have been a pleasent touch. A little too much waiting.

Also, it's annoying how you can kick everything and there might be an item inside. I don't want to kick every single obstacle in the game, on the off chance of getting a useful for item, when 90% of obstacles don't have anything, and 90% percent of obstacles that do have something have something completely useless. Also, the option to get into fights with town people was interesting, but they neglected to give you any reason to do so. No items. No recruiting people by defeating them in these showdowns. Simply put, the amount of kicking necessary wasn't really worth the investment of kicking at all.

While Radiata was fun to explore, it was kind of disappointing that almost 100% of the exploration was via branching paths, as opposed to area exploration like Star Ocean 3 or Dragon Quest 8. The dungeon design was pretty terrible.
    Sorry, but with te exception of Dungeon design(which is debatable), none of what you mentioned are actually FLAWS.

Especially the kicking mechanic, I cant even understand why you would try to put down the fact that they put in a new mechanic that lets you interact with nearly EVERYTHING. That doesnt even make sense to me. It's not Like they even FORCED you to really do it at all, and it's pretty much the same as any other games examine button except it actually has a physical effect.

As far as kick battles go, Alba for one is a character you get by kick battling him thrice if I remember correctly, and besides that, it was Quite nice for getting extra expereince, or just if you wanted to find out how the character fought, considering like 85% of the characters are recruitable.
    edited October 2008
    I didn't say they were flaws persay, I was saying that they were elements that could use some polishing.

The kicking mechanic was an EXTREMELY superficial attempt to let the player interact with everything. The rewards don't justify the interaction (wow! I kicked this thing and it jiggled just like every other thing I kicked! I'm immersed in this strange and interactive world!). A little polish would have gone a long ways in this regard.

Another thing I thought was kind of lame is the town dialogue doesn't really change. In the Suikoden series, every character in your castle had upgraded dialogue depending on how far in the game you were. In Radiata, the same smuck you befriended at the very beginning of the game keeps saying the same thing. So once you've befriended someone, there's no point in chatting with them again. The say the same thing everyday, like clockwork.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I enjoyed this game, though it was actually one of the few instances I played a game with the volume muted, largely because of the battle voices and the soundtrack which I felt to be Noriyuki Iwadare's worst. A more generous save system wouldn't have killed, either.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2008
    I enjoyed this game, though it was actually one of the few instances I played a game with the volume muted, largely because of the battle voices and the soundtrack which I felt to be Noriyuki Iwadare's worst. A more generous save system wouldn't have killed, either.
    I agree with the save points, that is one of the game's only major flaws, but the soundtrack is fantastic and fits the world to a tee. The game is a silly fairy tale and the voice acting and music support that wonderfully. I don't understand how you couldn't like it.
  • Psycho PenguinPsycho Penguin Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I really want to play this game but I never got around to it yet. It's on my short "to play" list because Tri Ace made it and it looks like Star Ocean. I hope I like it.. character collecting is a big no-no for me unless they're all useful like in Suikoden.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I agree with the save points, that is one of the game's only major flaws, but the soundtrack is fantastic and fits the world to a tee. The game is a silly fairy tale and the voice acting and music support that wonderfully. I don't understand how you couldn't like it.
    Well, I respectfully disagree. I thought the "jazzy" soundtrack was out of place in a fantasy setting, and that the voice acting in battle was horrendous. Even if I liked the music and voicework--which would mean I was born without ears--I've heard much, much better.
    edited October 2008
    Well, I respectfully disagree. I thought the "jazzy" soundtrack was out of place in a fantasy setting, and that the voice acting in battle was horrendous. Even if I liked the music and voicework--which would mean I was born without ears--I've heard much, much better.
    In a fantasy setting, it would be out of place, but as I said before, Radiata story is a fairy tale, not an epic fantasy. The game is silly. It doesn't take itself seriously, it's not supposed to take itself seriously, and the music supports that. I can understand the complaint about battle voices, but the music is fantastic and extremely varied. It's serious where it needs to be, but most of the time it's catchy, uptempo beats that are designed to bring the world and its inhabitants to life. It's used to great effect as well, as the soundtrack changes as the time shifts from day to night, growing quieter and a bit more laid back at nighttime when nothing is happening, and then bursting out during the day when the city starts to grow more bustling.

If you don't like jazz music, that's one thing, but saying it doesn't fit the game is nonsense.
    edited October 2008
    Quote: wrote:
    It's used to great effect as well, as the soundtrack changes as the time shifts from day to night, growing quieter and a bit more laid back at nighttime when nothing is happening, and then bursting out during the day when the city starts to grow more bustling.

This was a really nice touch, I loved the subdued variations of various tracks.

I think the soundtrack was fitting, though some of the tracks I found to be incredibly grating and tinny.
  • TriaTria Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Radiata Stories would have been a perfect game had the combat been a lot better. Other than the battle system, it's an amazing game.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the game was easier than hell with no extra difficulties. Which is odd, seeing how it's a tri-Ace title, which usually give you some sort of difficulty enhancement choice.

Recently Finished RPGs:

Resonance of Fate - 4.5/5
    Tales of Graces (Import) - 2/5
    Ys VII (Import) - 2.5/5
    Final Fantasy XIII - 3/5
    Nier - 1.5/5
    edited October 2008
    Radiata Stories would have been a perfect game had the combat been a lot better. Other than the battle system, it's an amazing game.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the game was easier than hell with no extra difficulties. Which is odd, seeing how it's a tri-Ace title, which usually give you some sort of difficulty enhancement choice.
    Great, that's the reason I was interested to begin with. sad.gif
    edited October 2008

Don't listen to Tria, the battle system is fine. It's fun. The game is just easy, so if you don't mind a game that isn't frustratingly difficult, then you'll like it fine.

edited October 2008
    Yay, thank you for the reassurance smile.gif When I get my PS2 back I'll pop this one in.
    edited October 2008
    It is a fun game. And you can always handicap yourself with weak party members if you really want a challenge.
    edited October 2008

Don't listen to Tria, the battle system is fine. It's fun. The game is just easy, so if you don't mind a game that isn't frustratingly difficult, then you'll like it fine.
    I'm not trying to persuade his opinion in any sort of way, I was just stating that I thought the battle system wasn't good. It is probably the clunkiest, most repetitive battle system that tri-Ace has ever made, in my opinion.

It's weird. Every other tri-Ace title is known for its battle system. Radiata Stories is the only tri-Ace known for the things outside of battle, and most people think the battle system isn't so good.

Seriously, when you go from Star Ocean 3 Psycho Penguin, to Radiata Stories, you might notice an enormous and obvious dip in quality in terms of battle system.
    Recently Finished RPGs:

Ys VII (Import) - 2.5/5
    Final Fantasy XIII - 3/5
    Nier - 1.5/5
    edited October 2008

I'm not trying to persuade his opinion in any sort of way, I was just stating that I thought the battle system wasn't good. It is probably the clunkiest, most repetitive battle system that tri-Ace has ever made, in my opinion.

It's weird. Every other tri-Ace title is known for its battle system. Radiata Stories is the only tri-Ace known for the things outside of battle, and most people think the battle system isn't so good.

Seriously, when you go from Star Ocean 3 Psycho Penguin, to Radiata Stories, you might notice an enormous and obvious dip in quality in terms of battle system.
    Radiata's battle system is simpler than SO3, sure, but it's far, far better. I don't find it clunky in the least. In fact, it's much smoother than SO3, and I'm saying this having just finished SO3 again last week. The battles are more fun and more involved, as they don't devolve into spamming your most powerful long range attack, either. It's only repetitive if you let it be repetitive. The game gives you so many options to work with, if you don't make use of them it's your own fault.

The game lets you experiment in battle in ways other tri-Ace games don't. You create your own custom combo from about a dozen or so basic moves in four different weapons. There are also a dozen or so different links with different effects, and some of them can be incredibly effective, particularly the square link and the attack link, and the commands that you can collect are quite varied as well. Some act as basic AI pattern changes, while others act as spells. If you want, you could play the game with three powerful fighters in your team and play the healer yourself using Circle Song and items.

Radiata's combat is the smoothest I've played in a tri-Ace game easily. VP2 was clunky. SO3 was clunky. Radiata is simple, smooth, and actually fairly relaxing, unless you decide to take on an enemy a lot higher level than you, like, say, Gerald at level 25-30ish or so. Which I intend to do tonight. Should be interesting. He hits like a rock.

edited October 2008

Radiata's battle system is simpler than SO3, sure, but it's far, far better. I don't find it clunky in the least. In fact, it's much smoother than SO3, and I'm saying this having just finished SO3 again last week. The battles are more fun and more involved, as they don't devolve into spamming your most powerful long range attack, either. It's only repetitive if you let it be repetitive. The game gives you so many options to work with, if you don't make use of them it's your own fault.

The game lets you experiment in battle in ways other tri-Ace games don't. You create your own custom combo from about a dozen or so basic moves in four different weapons. There are also a dozen or so different links with different effects, and some of them can be incredibly effective, particularly the square link and the attack link, and the commands that you can collect are quite varied as well. Some act as basic AI pattern changes, while others act as spells. If you want, you could play the game with three powerful fighters in your team and play the healer yourself using Circle Song and items.

Radiata's combat is the smoothest I've played in a tri-Ace game easily. VP2 was clunky. SO3 was clunky. Radiata is simple, smooth, and actually fairly relaxing, unless you decide to take on an enemy a lot higher level than you, like, say, Gerald at level 25-30ish or so. Which I intend to do tonight. Should be interesting. He hits like a rock.
    Radiata Stories was repetitive because 99% of the the features in the battle system were completely useless. The game was pathetically easy. I play the way I want to play, and to me, there was no point at all in any of the features in the battle system except mashing the attack button. I play the way that it takes to win battles. I'm sick of people saying stupid stuff like "Well, if you play this way, it makes the game more fun or harder!" I shouldn't have to FORCE myself to use the features in the game or make it harder. The game should be challenging enough to the point where I have to use the features provided.

Oh, and you're talking to someone who has spent over 1000 hours on Star Ocean 3 and over 400 hours on Radiata Stories. I play both games constantly. Radiata Stories, to me, has the far better presentation, characters, and atmosphere. Star Ocean 3's gameplay, on the other hand, has a MUCH more diverse battle system, more fluid combat (though it is by no means perfect), a ton more to do, and the game has higher difficulties and difficult battles where you basically have to use the features provided.

And Radiata Stories being the battle system you can experiment the most with in a tri-Ace title? I'm sorry, but you obviously haven't played VP2 for very long. There is a similar combo system in VP2, but it is far more fleshed out and combines every character's customized set of combos. VP2 is by far the most experimental of the two. You also have runes, sealstones, party separation, enemy-parts separation (which, if you want the right item, you have to fine tune your combo perfectly), weapons that also effect your combos, Aand so much more. Radiata Stories has nothing in comparison...except a connect ability that was fairly useless, and a pathetic attempt at AI control. I got through Radiata Stories completely mashing the attack button. I got through the extra dungeons doing the exact same thing. It was a neverending cycle.

Don't get me wrong. Radiata Stories is one of my favorite games. It just would have been far better had it not had such low difficulty, or such a clunky battle system that was barely passable.
    Recently Finished RPGs:

Ys VII (Import) - 2.5/5
    Final Fantasy XIII - 3/5
    Nier - 1.5/5
    edited October 2008
    With both SO3 and VP2 I felt like I was fighting the game more than I was fighting the battles. SO3 had battle features that were stupid and frustrating, and VP2 had terrible controls. Radiata has excellent controls and no elements designed for no other purpose than to piss you off *cough*Fury*cough* The game could have used some additional difficulties, yes, but the battle system itself is far better designed.

Also, unless you grind levels like a madman, there is no way you can just mash the attack button and live in any of the boss battles, ESPECIALLY the final boss or any of the bosses in the bonus dungeon. Gabriel Celestia will destroy you, even at max level. You might not need to use the links, but you WILL use commands, and you WILL move around to avoid attacks.

edited October 2008
    The battles are more fun and more involved, as they don't devolve into spamming your most powerful long range attack, either.

Can anyone say double standard? Radiata is more repetitive hands down. Sure you can make your own combo... but once you do, that's your only attack. You do that same combo over and over, because to change it you have to enter the menu. Star Ocean 3 was harder, so it tested your reflexs. You had characters who could combo special moves that were much more varied than the 12-simple slash attacks that Jack had. Furthermore, you could switch between characters on the fly, which effectively changes the gameplay entirely at the press of a button. Controlling Maria is nothing like using Nell or Roger. Later in your post you said that people who aren't having fun in Radiata battles, would be having fun if they chose to branch out a little. I make the same argument to you. Whos fault is it that you're spamming a long range attack in Star Ocean 3? Not the game's, because it is quite playable short-range, unless for some reason you never truely grasped the basics. In addition, in Star Ocean 3 you could choose to collect battle tropheys. There is simply no comparison in the level of depth between the two games.

As for the smoothness you were refering to? Well, the movement is less precise, and so is the hit detection. Every time your characters are hit they clunkily topple over, and slowly get back up. It bares nothing in common to Star Ocean 3's fluid battles, darting between enemies. Simple is NOT the same thing as smooth.

This is coming from someone who loves Radiata, but thinks the battles are merely sufficent.

• SundoulosSundoulos Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    You know, there is a lot to love about Radiata. I loved the characters, particularly Jack and Gantz; and I loved the dialogue. I also enjoyed the first 2/3 of the game's plot, but the end game vastly diminished the experience for me.

I absolutely loathed the jazzy music tracks as well, but I'll admit that's more of a matter personal taste. I wouldn't go so far as to say they didn't fit the game.
    Monster Hunter Tri ID: N49H18
    Monster Hunter Name: Sundolos
    Region: North America
    edited October 2008
    With both SO3 and VP2 I felt like I was fighting the game more than I was fighting the battles. SO3 had battle features that were stupid and frustrating, and VP2 had terrible controls. Radiata has excellent controls and no elements designed for no other purpose than to piss you off *cough*Fury*cough* The game could have used some additional difficulties, yes, but the battle system itself is far better designed.

Also, unless you grind levels like a madman, there is no way you can just mash the attack button and live in any of the boss battles, ESPECIALLY the final boss or any of the bosses in the bonus dungeon. Gabriel Celestia will destroy you, even at max level. You might not need to use the links, but you WILL use commands, and you WILL move around to avoid attacks.
    Maybe it's just me, but all I did was button mash passed Gabriel Celeste and Ethereal Queen, and I wasn't even max level. I didn't use any commands against any enemy. Even the bonus stuff was pathetically easy. I never HAD to use ANY of the features once throughout the entire game, except at the tutorial. Whenever I did use them, it was just to try them out, but I had no actual real reason to use them in battle.

Radiata Stories has the worst tri-Ace battle system. Trust me when I say I am certainly not alone in thinking this.
    Recently Finished RPGs:

Ys VII (Import) - 2.5/5
    Final Fantasy XIII - 3/5
    Nier - 1.5/5
    edited October 2008
    The battles are more fun and more involved, as they don't devolve into spamming your most powerful long range attack, either.

Can anyone say double standard? Radiata is more repetitive hands down. Sure you can make your own combo... but once you do, that's your only attack. You do that same combo over and over, because to change it you have to enter the menu. Star Ocean 3 was harder, so it tested your reflexs. You had characters who could combo special moves that were much more varied than the 12-simple slash attacks that Jack had. Furthermore, you could switch between characters on the fly, which effectively changes the gameplay entirely at the press of a button. Controlling Maria is nothing like using Nell or Roger. Later in your post you said that people who aren't having fun in Radiata battles, would be having fun if they chose to branch out a little. I make the same argument to you. Whos fault is it that you're spamming a long range attack in Star Ocean 3? Not the game's, because it is quite playable short-range, unless for some reason you never truely grasped the basics. In addition, in Star Ocean 3 you could choose to collect battle tropheys. There is simply no comparison in the level of depth between the two games.

As for the smoothness you were refering to? Well, the movement is less precise, and so is the hit detection. Every time your characters are hit they clunkily topple over, and slowly get back up. It bares nothing in common to Star Ocean 3's fluid battles, darting between enemies. Simple is NOT the same thing as smooth.

This is coming from someone who loves Radiata, but thinks the battles are merely sufficent.
    There is no double standard present at all. I tried everything in SO3 to enjoy the battles and nothing worked. Why? Because I was CONSTANTLY fighting the awful battle mechanics, namely Fury and AAAs. And then additional difficulty of the game, that you seem to think is so much better, prevented me from just going through with it anyways. In the end it using long-range strong attacks was the only fluid way to actually play the damn game. Everything else resulted in stuns, knockdowns, massive stagger chains, etc. etc. etc.

In Radiata, I focus entirely on the enemies. I'm not watching the stupid fury bars constantly to see if I can actually attack or not. The battles are much smoother. They're slower, yes, and I've already said the battle system is a lot simpler than SO3, but that doesn't mean they aren't smooth and not better designed.

And Tria, I am going to outright call BS on you. I've done the entire final dungeon and if you just mashed the attack button, prove it with video or it never happened. The Ethereal Queen can practically kill Jack in a single blow. If you didn't even use a Cure Friend command during that battle, then you must be using a game shark or something.

Finally, I am utterly sick of the way every tri-Ace game I play just has its thread devolve into a retarded discussion that I've had several hundred times now. I'm not updating this thread anymore. I'm done.
  • HeeHoHeeHo Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I think people are just frustrated with your praise for games with simple battle systems and your distaste for games with allegedly deeper ones. If you don't want to hear it then don't include jabs at other popular games.
    edited October 2008
    You've had this discussion several hundred times? Hyperbole will get you no where. I've been on messageboards for years, and I may have accumulated 2 dozen posts about Star Ocean 3 in that time span. What's wrong with healthy debate, unless you feel that you simply can't back your arguments up?

I think in depth discussions about game mechanics are the polar opposite of a thread "devolving". It is a discussion about the merits of a game, and about one's obligation as a professional reviewer to balance gushing subjectivity with objectivity. In my experience, when people get sick of these exchanges its because they don't have a solid basis for their opinions, and would rather wash their hands of the arguement than concede defeat.

Declaring that you're not going to post again? Don't you think that's a little melodramatic? Lighten up. Its the internets.

My experience with the Ethereal Queen is one that many people had: Jack is weak, so just have your recruited members do all the work while you stay out of the way and use healing items. As simple as that. You can't lose. Not difficult at all. A battle system you can exploit like this is pretty half-baked.

edited October 2008
    "
    Oh, and you're talking to someone who has spent over 1000 hours on Star Ocean 3 and over 400 hours on Radiata Stories. I play both games constantly. "

Well I am glad you at least enjoyed it even if you didn't love the battle system. So, the more I read the more I am convinced I will like this game.
    edited October 2008
    "
    Oh, and you're talking to someone who has spent over 1000 hours on Star Ocean 3 and over 400 hours on Radiata Stories. I play both games constantly. "

Well I am glad you at least enjoyed it even if you didn't love the battle system. So, the more I read the more I am convinced I will like this game.
    Radiata Stories is an amazing game outside of battle. The real flaws, in my opinion, are in battle. It's one of those games that's so good outside of battle that you completely ignore how horrible the actual battle system is. Don't go in expecting an SO3 battle system (which to my understanding is one of your favorite games). The battle system in RS feels more like an after-thought. It feels as though tri-Ace tried so hard when it came to the stuff outside of battle that when it came time for the battle system, they ran out of time or something. It's merely passable.
    Recently Finished RPGs:

Ys VII (Import) - 2.5/5
    Final Fantasy XIII - 3/5
    Nier - 1.5/5
    edited October 2008

There is no double standard present at all. I tried everything in SO3 to enjoy the battles and nothing worked. Why? Because I was CONSTANTLY fighting the awful battle mechanics, namely Fury and AAAs. And then additional difficulty of the game, that you seem to think is so much better, prevented me from just going through with it anyways. In the end it using long-range strong attacks was the only fluid way to actually play the damn game. Everything else resulted in stuns, knockdowns, massive stagger chains, etc. etc. etc.

In Radiata, I focus entirely on the enemies. I'm not watching the stupid fury bars constantly to see if I can actually attack or not. The battles are much smoother. They're slower, yes, and I've already said the battle system is a lot simpler than SO3, but that doesn't mean they aren't smooth and not better designed.

And Tria, I am going to outright call BS on you. I've done the entire final dungeon and if you just mashed the attack button, prove it with video or it never happened. The Ethereal Queen can practically kill Jack in a single blow. If you didn't even use a Cure Friend command during that battle, then you must be using a game shark or something.

Finally, I am utterly sick of the way every tri-Ace game I play just has its thread devolve into a retarded discussion that I've had several hundred times now. I'm not updating this thread anymore. I'm done.
    Calling BS? Just because some people might play differently than you and might be better at a game than you? That's really low. I could easily call BS to you having trouble with them (because I certainly did NOT) and saying "You are just saying they're hard to make the game look TeH better!!!111!!!", but I'm not that rude and inconsiderate. People all play differently and are better or worse at some games than others. Just because someone might be better at a game than you doesn't give you the right to call them "BS."

Not to mention I'm sure I'm not the only one that went through the entire game button mashing, even in the bonus dungeon (well, there are two of them if you want to get technical). I have several friends who did the same thing. Yet at the same time I have friends who have had a lot of trouble during the bonus dungeons.

I've played through the game probably around 10 times. And not once have I had trouble. EVER. Not on Gabriel Celeste, Ethereal Queen, or anybody. You had trouble at times. Big deal. That's fine with me. Everyone plays games differently, and I certainly won't ever call someone BS for something as stupid as easily beating an enemy that I consider hard. That's just low and immature.
    Recently Finished RPGs:

Ys VII (Import) - 2.5/5
    Final Fantasy XIII - 3/5
    Nier - 1.5/5
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    I bought this one Day 1 and liked it very much.
    Spoiler:
    ---
    Who did you side with?
    Humans
    or
    Goblins?
    ---
    I went with humans.
    I felt the greenies were all too similar.