If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Regarding the staff, Lionheart012, and wonkycyber

Comments

• ChocoChoco Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Generator, you're right. I can do all those things, but you know what? I don't use them to my advantage. I don't claim to be superior to any of you. Just because I'm on staff instantly makes people think that I'm on a higher level than them, it seems. YOU claimed my superiority, but does that mean I'm really superior? All I'm on the boards for is the same reason everyone else is here - to discuss. I discuss in my own manner. Is this so wrong?

Also, I'm not a moderator. I'm a member of the RPGamer mediate staff, not a board moderator. I have no specific staff duties here on the board. This is yet another situation where you should probably find out the details before you try to take a stab at me ~_~;

For my last point concerning "We want everyone to enjoy themselves". - I'm not allowed to enjoy myself on the forums, it seems. If I'm not supposed to enjoy myself while I'm here, then why do I even bother posting? Because that rules goes for everyone, whether they be mods, staff, or registered members.

• The FireDragonThe FireDragon Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" Just because I'm on staff instantly makes people think that I'm on a higher level than them[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

How do you become a staff member anyway?
  • TadrithTadrith Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    You have to be hired for a position, of course. wink.gif

You'll note that recently, the fan art position was open, and we were taking applications. I believe we are no longer taking applications for this position, but to become a staff member, you need to look out for when we need people.
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The FireDragon @ Jan. 10 2003,15:02)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"How do you become a staff member anyway?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Guifa recruited me. The site was low on Mediaites, and he said he knew someone who might be able to take the position, and thus... here I am. Depending on the position, there might be a silent recruitment or an application request similar to the recent one started for the recruitment of a new fanart person.

Oh, and thanks... you reminded me that I need to get an update done! X_x

• generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Just because I'm on staff instantly makes people think that I'm on a higher level than them, it seems. YOU claimed my superiority, but does that mean I'm really superior?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    i claim your superiority (which by the way i didn't up until this point) only on an authoritative level on the RPGamer message boards. ?and believe me, it ends there.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"All I'm on the boards for is the same reason everyone else is here - to discuss. I discuss in my own manner. Is this so wrong?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    not at all. ?if you need to criticize people to have fun, then by all means.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Also, I'm not a moderator. I'm a member of the RPGamer mediate staff, not a board moderator. I have no specific staff duties here on the board.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    if this is indeed a blunder of mine, then it was because i was unaware that administrator and moderator were the same thing. ?i am fully aware you aren't an administrator, but since you have the ability to moderate things on the board, i was under the impression that moderator would be an appropriate term.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"This is yet another situation where you should probably find out the details before you try to take a stab at me ~_~;[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    i must have looked pretty silly in all those previous situations. ?what were they again?
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"For my last point concerning "We want everyone to enjoy themselves". - I'm not allowed to enjoy myself on the forums, it seems.If I'm not supposed to enjoy myself while I'm here, then why do I even bother posting? Because that rules goes for everyone, whether they be mods, staff, or registered members. ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    you most certainly are allowed to enjoy yourself, but it's just my opinion (your favorite word) that it shouldn't be at the expense of others.
    edited January 2003
    How ridiculous. Your entire post, generator, is obviously meant to spark my anger, similarly like Lionheart+RANDOM NUMBERS tried to spark LordBrian's anger. Sorry, but I don't take well to people who try to start something... and that means you, generator, or Lionheart+RANDOM NUMBERS. I would love to reply to this in a P.O.'ed fashion, but I don't think I'll give you that pleasure. I'll thus ignore any sparks you try to throw at me from here on.

• KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    We as staffers have as much right to criticize topics and opinions as much as any other member on these boards. The only thing that seperates us from you is our administration duties, which I'm pretty accurate in saying haven't been abused.

Call me elitist, but I like to see constructive conversation and debate, not mindless drivel about who you'd make an AVALANCHE team consist of. A debate on the religion rhetoric in Xenogears and what it means would more likely spur an intelligent dialogue between everyone on the boards, and likely not cause as much trouble. A topic like this might cause some very heated debate, but it would no doubt morph into the childish antics that we saw last evening.

I ignored Lionheart's posts at first but he kept creating the same kinds of topics over and over. When he kept trying to revive the Aerith topic I felt it was neccessary to let him know what I thought of the AVALANCHE topic. The fact that such an explosion took place is not the fault of the moderators at all. Had he not decided to continually ignore the rules and then think he could get away with acting as two different people, I'm sure he would not have been banned.

In the end I think we took the right steps in banning a disruptive member of the boards. Had we not I have no reason to believe that Lionheart would have acted in a more mature manner and followed the rules and requests of the moderators.
  • KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    For the record:

Moderators have the ability to lock, delete, edit, pin, and rebuild topics. Beyond that there is nothing else we have the ability to do.

Administrators on the other hand have the power to ban and restrict the access of members, as well as everything the moderators can do.

I am a moderator, therefore I have no power to ban anyone on these boards.

• AlienaAliena Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I am a moderator on various yahoo groups and message boards and I realize sometimes you have to step in for the good of all. You guys don't wake up in the morning and think, "What can I do today to lord my power over everyone." Of course not! That's silly. You make objective decisions in order for everyone to have a good time here. It's not always fun doing stuff like that. So I guess all I have to say is, you guys have my vote. I have no reason not trust what you guys choose to do.

smile.gif
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aliena @ Jan. 10 2003,15:59)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You guys don't wake up in the morning and think, "What can I do today to lord my power over everyone."[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This is what I think when I wake up in the morning:

"3328717!*@&;(!&@!!!!!&*@! Unnnhnhnhnnnnn...."
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Basically, all you're doing is singling me and Kami out because we're different. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

This would make sense if people treated the likes of Rico and Lord Brian differently. The reason you and Kamikaze are being addressed specifically is because you were the only two people to label the guy's thread useless.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Call me elitist, but I like to see constructive conversation and debate, not mindless drivel about who you'd make an AVALANCHE team consist of. A debate on the religion rhetoric in Xenogears and what it means would more likely spur an intelligent dialogue between everyone on the boards, and likely not cause as much trouble. A topic like this might cause some very heated debate, but it would no doubt morph into the childish antics that we saw last evening.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'd wager to say that with that definition you consider half the threads on these boards useless. Your opinion on the intellectual merits of the thread is something to put aside, what's important to note is that the thread broke no rules and other people were enjoying themselves. There's no thought police around here...and I'd also bet that if you someone calls any discussion pointless and useless, no matter what topic it's about, it would end up devolving into "childish antics."

Of course, that doesn't take away from what Lionheart did, and I agree that appropriate action was taken.
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The reason you and Kamikaze are being addressed specifically is because you were the only two people to label the guy's thread useless.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Thus, singling us out because we were different. That point just fell flat on its face, Boomerang.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Your opinion on the intellectual merits of the thread is something to put aside, what's important to note is that the thread broke no rules and other people were enjoying themselves.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Who are you to decide what's important or not? The thread was completely normal with everyone's separate opinions being posted until Lionheart+RANDOM NUMBERS retaliated in a completely ridiculous manner... that being making another name to back himself up. Our comments broke no rules as well, so what's your problem?
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    1. I think Boomerang was referring to how you posted about your dislike for the thread because of it's lack of intellectual content, even when everyone else seemed to be having fun. Some would say that if you don't like a thread, you should just ignore it, while others would say that it's perfectly fine to express the fact that you think a thread sucks. I won't take a side, as I don't really even care - I'm not the kind who would just go in and say "this thread sucks", whether it's OK or not.

2. Your "singling us out" argument is the only one that falls flat here. If there was something wrong with specifically attacking only certain people because they were the only ones who did things you didn't condone, then the world would be a very, very strange place. There's nothing about your staff status that should make your posts be considered in a special way, but the fact that said posts were abrasive and unnecissary (in the opinions of your attackers) is a different story.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    My policy on staff interaction on the boards has always been and likely always will be that staff are allowed to express their feelings freely through posting on any given subject, so long as they do not break rules. ?This stems from the knowledge that if I weren't allowed to ever take a dissenting opinion, or point out when something is, well, rather rightfully stupid, then I never would have gone to these boards in the first place. ?There were no punitive measures taken by any staffers because they didn't like the topic. ?That's the only real no-no here for staff that isn't an issue for regular members.

What I think the problem is here is that people, as a whole, have a problem regarding insecurity in their opinions. ?Everyone who disagrees with you is not attacking you. ?Everyone who criticizes your topic is not criticizing you. ?As has been stated already, the reason the original topic was locked was not really because of its outdated and beaten-horse subject matter, it was locked because he made a comment specifically to to piss off an administrator in response to a non-personal comment.

edited January 2003
    Metacod, for your second statement... I was referring to "generator"'s constant mentioning of myself and Kami's staff status, and the fact that he/she/it thought that we weren't acting the way staff should.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"There's nothing about your staff status that should make your posts be considered in a special way...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I agree, and I'd like to state that I'm just a boardie like everyone else when I post... not some evil tyrant of a moderator who's gonna ban you, bubba!... or something like that. I don't like positions of power.
    edited January 2003
    Well, I was referring to this:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    The reason you and Kamikaze are being addressed specifically is because you were the only two people to label the guy's thread useless.
    <span id='postcolor'>
    Thus, singling us out because we were different. That point just fell flat on its face, Boomerang.[/QUOTE]
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited January 2003
    The only behavior that I felt was questionable was the publishing of LionHeart012's IP address. ?I for one know that I would not be happy if someone made my IP address available even if the purpose was to prove a point. ?On the the posting rules page you explicitly state that IP addresses are logged. ?This is imformation that should only be available to the moderators and administrators. ?Publishing his IP address was uncalled for. ?I'm pretty sure that my posts probably have two different IP addresses attached to them and I know I would not be happy if either one was made public. ?While I do feel that Lionheart012's banning was justified, I don't think it was justified to reveal his IP address.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited January 2003
    As we all know from those stupid pop-up ads, if someone really wanted to hack into our computers, they could just use the IP addresses they were broadcasting smile.gif .

• King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    ....Why do any of you care that "LionHeart+RANDOM NUMBERS" is gone...he broke the rules right? But telling everyone his IP address wasn't necessary. Would you like having your IP told? That's almost like telling a crowd of people, that may or may not like you, your home address...it just wasn't warranted. But it's over let's just get on with our lives.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    To be perfectly fair, I think the AVALANCHE II thread was handled badly by the staff. I personally saw no problems with it, and was content to let it run.

But I can certainly see where the staff was coming from. Lionheart certainly did nothing to endear himself to us, and like everyone else in the world, the first impression we get from someone says a hell of a lot about how we feel about them.

One thing I personally hate is when a newbie poster comes in and starts making threads left and right, especially when they're stupid posts with no substance behind them (and regardless what Lionheart thought, arguing that Aeris didn't die, with the points he was providing, was retarded). In addition, within his first few posts, he began infringing on the rules. He made an uncivil jab at me, and, while he technically did mark his spoiler in the thread title, he marked it after the actual spoiler, thus rendering the warning meaningless.

And you certainly have the right to type the way you want to, but TYPING IN ALL CAPS or with bad grammar does nothing but make me lose respect for you.

This was just in his first post, and already I had a negative impression of him. Then he continued to break rules, and that was when he began earning warnings. So it doesn't surprise me at all if the other staff members began to feel the same way as I did. When he made his AVALANCHE II post, I think they were probably naturally predisposed to look at the negative aspects of the thread, rather than the positives.

I wish it hadn't come to what it did, because I didn't think it was necessary. Some people may have overreacted, but, as Choco said, we're normal people too, and like everyone else in the world, we can become biased against certain people due to their actions. I won't lie to you and say I like everyone on these boards, but I do try to give everyone a fair chance, whether or not they deserve it. And I hope that in the future, threads like these won't be necessary.
    edited January 2003
    I can say (through no personal experience, of course *whistles innocently*), that people don't troll messageboards when looking for an IP address to hack. You're in more danger any give day by simply being on the internet. In a single day, any given subnet on the Internet will get scanned at least 4 times a day by some kid with an IP scanner. That's the guy whose going to hit you with a hack job.

On a personal note as a network engineer, I feel that if you're surfing the internet without the proper measures taken to ensure a safe connection, you deserve what you get. It's really unreasonable with the price of today's routers and broadband gateways to actually surf the web with a live IP address, instead of being safely tucked away behind a NAT device.
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Luca Blight @ Jan. 10 2003,21:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"That's almost like telling a crowd of people, that may or may not like you, your home address...it just wasn't warranted.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually, it's more like telling a crowd of people you might live somewhere in x state. In this specific case, all it said was that the person was using an IP address assigned from AOL. Even if it did correspond to his specific computer and not an intermediary, it's not static, and probably isn't his anymore. And, like I said earlier, if he was telling the truth and he really didn't know wonkycyber, then there wouldn't be any real harm in publishing the IP.
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Some people may have overreacted, but, as Choco said, we're normal people too, and like everyone else in the world, we can become biased against certain people due to their actions.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    looking back, i overreacted. ?while my stance hasn't changed, it boils down to it wasn't any of my business and i should have kept my opinions to myself.
  • ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    If you hadn't stated your opinions, this topic would be rather quite.
  • The FireDragonThe FireDragon Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" if someone really wanted to hack into our computers, they could just use the IP addresses they were broadcasting[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, but I think that they have enough sense not to hack into our computers.
  • RhinoRhino Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The FireDragon @ Jan. 11 2003,03:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" if someone really wanted to hack into our computers, they could just use the IP addresses they were broadcasting[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, but I think that they have enough sense not to hack into ?our computers.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    As far as I'm concerned, I am not willing to spend seven years in the slammer.
    edited January 2003
    Everybody makes it seem like it's really easy to get caught for hacking or something.

When we do security analysis, or intrusion detection systems, we see people attempting to get in constantly. I would say, given a rough estimate, about... oh, 0.50% of all hacking incidents receive any attention at all. The fact is, the internet is an extremely large place, and packets can very simply and very easily get lost in it.
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I have a question about IP banning on this board...What if someone had a cable modem and when his/her IP is banned they disconnect/reconnect it therefore obtaining a new IP...how would you stop that? Is it some different type of banning?

And about the IP hacking hopefully my firewall blocks all of it...it is a free version of ZoneAlarm Pro.
  • guifaguifa Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Luca Blight @ Jan. 11 2003,21:30)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I have a question about IP banning on this board...What if someone had a cable modem and when his/her IP is banned they disconnect/reconnect it therefore obtaining a new IP...how would you stop that? Is it some different type of banning?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That's called ban evasion, and Rico will send an extremely formal letter to the user's ISP (which is insanely easy to figure out based on the IP address[es]).
    edited January 2003
    Not to give away all my administrative secrets or anything, but it's more-than possible to deal with ban evaders. The letter's just to report their abuse.
This discussion has been closed.