If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Regarding the staff, Lionheart012, and wonkycyber

13»

Comments

• RhinoRhino Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Just because you've changed doesn't give you an automatic re-entry[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Right, the banning is more of a punishment, designed to keep anyone from breaking the rules n the first place. I've changed since I was banned from Disney World, but, as punishment for my actions, I know they'll never ever let me back in while I;m alive.
  • Yo-Yo KirbyYo-Yo Kirby Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I've only been on RPGamer.com for about a week, and I have wittnessed many locked subjects (One was my own) and banned members. And frankly, I've been scared out of my wits to say anything for fear that I'd be banned. But now, after reading all this, I think I can relax a bit more. Thanks.

Yo-Yo Kirby out.

( ?eh.gif I'm still on your good side, right guys?)
  • Lina DarkstarLina Darkstar Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I gotta say, Yo-yo, locking topics and banning members are two very different things. I have noticed that the number of topics locked are increasing, but I've yet to see one that was locked unjustifiably. Usually that's just a simple tool to keep duplicate threads to a minimum; I remember not so long ago when we had three different petitions to remake or not remake FF7 floating around. And sometimes threads are even locked at the creator's request, no big deal.
    What we need are a few long, involved debates in which people can trot out differing opinions, tell each other why they think the way they do, and relax into the argument.
    I think I'll have to start one... sometime tomorrow. *yawn* G'night all.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"(I'm still on your good side, right guys?)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Only if you stop saying things like:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yo-Yo Kirby out.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    The funny thing about bannings and especially topic lockings is that we've had more in the last week than typically happened in a month. It's usually not quite so hectic.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Jan. 12 2003,04:02)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"(I'm still on your good side, right guys?)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Only if you stop saying things like:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yo-Yo Kirby out.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What's wrong with that? There's no rule that prevents him from saying "Yo-yo Kirby out". If he wants to express himself that way, then there's no reason a mod should stop him just because the mod thinks it's stupid (and, by the way, I actually thought it was kind of cool).
  • ChocoChoco Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"(and, by the way, I actually thought it was kind of cool)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

First you say that LordBrian's opinion doesn't matter... then you impose your own? If what other's think doesn't matter, what makes your thoughts matter? Hypocrite. You can't expect people to take you seriously if you can't even take yourself seriously.

LB didn't seem like he was talking from an "I'm an admin, and I tell you to stop!" point of view... just simply stating that he didn't enjoy it. Is that so wrong? You yourself are stating your thoughts, so give others the same consideration, right?

• BoomerangBoomerang Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Metacod said: </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What's wrong with that? There's no rule that prevents him from saying "Yo-yo Kirby out". If he wants to express himself that way, then there's no reason a mod should stop him just because the mod thinks it's stupid (and, by the way, I actually thought it was kind of cool).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

To which Choco responded (in a lengthier form): </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"First you say that LordBrian's opinion doesn't matter...Hypocrite. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

What's wrong with this picture? eh.gif

Oh, I forgot, if you disagree and question an opinion it automatically means that you don't think that the opinion matters. sarcasm.gif
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Choco @ Jan. 12 2003,14:21)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"(and, by the way, I actually thought it was kind of cool)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

First you say that LordBrian's opinion doesn't matter... then you impose your own? If what other's think doesn't matter, what makes your thoughts matter? Hypocrite. You can't expect people to take you seriously if you can't even take yourself seriously.

LB didn't seem like he was talking from an "I'm an admin, and I tell you to stop!" point of view... just simply stating that he didn't enjoy it. Is that so wrong? You yourself are stating your thoughts, so give others the same consideration, right?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

In defense of Metacod, I never interpreted his comments the way you did. ?He never said that LordBrian's opinion didn't matter. ?What he said was that there was no reason to punish him just because LordBrian found the Yo-Yo Kirby's habit to be irritating (by my interpetations of LordBrian's ?and Metacod's comments). ?While I agree that constant use of the phrase "Yo-Yo Kirby out" can get annoying doesn't mean he should be barred from using it. ?All he did was defend Yo-Yo Kirby's choice to use it. ?He never said that LordBrian's opinion didn't matter. ?Even though I didn't interpret LordBrian's comment the way Metacod I can see how one could come to the same conclusion he did.

I think your calling Metacod a hypocrite was uncalled for. ?While I agree with your interpretation of LordBrian's comment I don't agree with the way you addressed Metacod. ?This is not the first time you jumped at some one you disagreed with so viciously. ?I think your hostility towards Metacod was uncalled for. ?All he did was try to defend Yo-Yo Kirby in his post, he never said that LordBrian wasn't entitled to his own opinion. ?You blatantly insulted Metacod when you had no right to do so. ?You owe him an apology.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What he said was that there was no reason to punish him just because LordBrian found the Yo-Yo Kirby's habit to be irritating[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yet, he didn't even mention punishing anyone.

I think before I speak, captain. I reread Metacod's post several times before posting, and came to no other conclusion other than someone reading ridiculous things into LB's post. Saying an admin is out of line for speaking his/her/its mind is "uncalled" for.

Just for the record, I don't jump on people. Just because it appears I'm serious when I'm posting doesn't mean I'm a hardass trying to smack people down left and right. I simply look at the side of the situation everyone likes to ignore. The taboo. The commonly overlooked subtleties. I only speak my side of the truth... and if you're insulted by the truth, then *shrugs* Not my problem. You mistake me for "jumping" on other people, and then you jump on me? You should probably look at yourself/yourselves before pointing a finger at me.

And you know what? When people see this, they're going to be insulted. They don't hear this kind of stuff normally, so they won't want to hear it. I'll be swarmed over by a bunch of boardies about how insensitive and crass I am, but you all are entitled to think what you will. It'll just be a repetition of the beginning of this thread. and the middle of the AVALANCE II thread.

I'll apologize to no one for simply stating my side. If that's a crime that someone needs to apologize for, I suggest you look back carefully on your post for assumptions made against me... and apologize for them. But I don't want your apology, since there's nothing to apologize for. The only thing that people really need to do is accept another's point of view, whether it be different, controversial, sensible, etc. Making assumptions and pinning blame on people through those assumptions is not helping anyone get along or change their minds.

You cannot blame people for being themselves.
    edited January 2003
    Now that I think about it, LB might have been half-joking. But what I meant was just that LB said that Yo-yo Kirby would only be on his "good side" if he stopped saying "Yo-yo Kirby out". If by not having Yo-yo Kirby (hereafter referred to as YYK since it's easier to type) on his good side, LB meant that YYK would be in possible danger of being banned (which is how I interpreted it), then that would be a misuse of his abilities as a moderator. People should get on his "bad side" by not following the rules, not by doing things he personally finds annoying.
    edited January 2003
    Admins don't ban people for their own personal distastes, else they'd be banning left and right... heh. The admins here tend to use their admining duties only when necessary according to the rules and don't bring their own feelings into them... though, they do use their feelings when replying and such. To react completely based on emotion is dangerous, and from what I know of LB and Rico, they know how to think rationally.
    edited January 2003
    Okay, I guess I stand corrected, but it still stands that putting someone on your bad side for saying something harmless at the end of each of their messages is not appropriate behavior for a mod. I assume LB was joking about it, though I would recommend that he use a smiley such as wink.gif to denote a joke in the future. Otherwise, statements like that come off as dead serious.
  • sephirothsdisciplesephirothsdisciple Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    From reading all the posts from AVALANCHE II and this one, I have concluded to a few a things. One being that Choco feels that everyone has an opinion, which he also has, and that everyone should have a chance to voice it. However, if you read closely, it seems that his or his comrades are the only voice that matters?? Clearly from reading a post on a board and not knowing the person would suggest seriousness if the comment LB said earlier in this post about the yo yo kirby out incident. Yet, Choco claims that we are to assume it was a joke?? No matter what he assumes, he has no write to call Metacod a hypocrite if he agreed or not. If he disagreed, then he should have clarified himself in a appropriate matter, not acting defensive because Metacod misunderstood the statement. Also, people putting up "useless posts" that have relativity to the topic and have justifiable reason to be there have no need to be bashed. Lionheart012 thought of a cool topic, in his mind, which should be appropiate, right Choco, since everyone has their opinion?? Maybe he wanted to see what everyone else thought about it??? I just think that bashing other people's post is useless in itself. Don't like it? Ignore it. Only reason I would see to get rid of it would be it didn't follow the guidelines. People were posting to it and were interested in other's responses. Now, regarding to his second name, probably not a smart move. And I understand the reaction by the admin. However, continue to bash him is not right as well. A quick ban instead of bashing him would have probably been the smartest move. Bashing might be understood by the rest of the members here and myself if it were done by another member, yet it was the people that claim "fairness and cleanliness" which I thought was true up to that post. Yet, all in all, things are overwith and done. Just wanted to speak my peace on the matter. My "opinion," right Choco??
  • Yo-Yo KirbyYo-Yo Kirby Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    confused.gif Geez..... I didn't think a side comment would lead to all this. And since "Yo-Yo Kirby out" seems to annoy a bunch of you, I'll simply stop writing it. I couldn't care any less about it, but it was pretty cool of Metacod and the others to defend me. Thanks. ?tounge.gif
  • guifaguifa Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    On the Yo yo Kirby Out comment...many people say there is no way to have known he didn't mean it as a adminstrative comment. On my first reading, I saw it as this. Since other, non-adminstator and non-staff, board members have created entire THREADS on similar topics, I don't see what the problem was.

LordBrian meant that as a personal sarcastic aside, NOT as an adminstrative decision. ?Like others have said, just because someone is an administrator doesn't mean all their posts are adminstravely based. Yeah, I'm a staff member. But that doesn't mean that all of my posts are of job-related issues.

Additionally, since there is no rule against saying something like "Yo yo kirby out", (no, it would not be an acceptable request by an adminstrator, if they did, report it to FireMyst), and no mention of banning or other castigation was included, it's only common sense to see it as coming from a non-adminstrative point of view.
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Maybe he wanted to see what everyone else thought about it??? ?I just think that bashing other people's post is useless in itself. ?Don't like it? Ignore it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Ignore it? Fine then, we'll use your reasoning in this situation.

I'm full of a lot of criticism. I have as much right to voice my criticism on a subject as others have the right to voice their praise for it. Don't like it? Ignore it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"However, continue to bash him is not right as well. ?A quick ban instead of bashing him would have probably been the smartest move.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, it would have been the smartest move... except that is wasn't an option. There were no admins around to do so. Rico locked the thread and banned the offender pretty soon after he came back from being away(in the staff channel). We handled things the way we could, and let Rico take over with his admin powers once he read the entire thread. While a quick ban would probably have been the smartest move... it wasn't possible at the time.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Gaaah, why do all the conversations about something I say happen when I'm not around? mad.gif

Anyway, I didn't say anything about banning him if he continued to use those phrases. I didn't even tell him to stop using them. However, I am glad he decided to stop using them, because I did find them annoying. Had he continued to use them, there would have been no negative repurcussions. As it has been said, nothing he was doing was against the rules, so I wouldn't do anything to him. But, speaking from a non-official position, his posts became much less irritating to read since he stopped saying those things. My comment was supposed to have been taken as a subtle, and slightly humorous suggestion. Nothing more.
    edited January 2003
    Okay, I understand. I guess I just didn't get the joke, probably because:

1. On message boards, where we have no assistance in understanding meaning from vocal tone and facial expression, people typically use emoticons to denote a joke. I'm not saying you have to (and, after all, you might think that it would ruin the subtlety of your comments), just that it would eliminate misunderstandings such as this.

2. Though no mention was made of banning, it was obvious we were on that kind of subject, judging from YYK's post that you responded to:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And frankly, I've been scared out of my wits to say anything for fear that I'd be banned. But now, after reading all this, I think I can relax a bit more. Thanks.
    Yo-Yo Kirby out.
    ( eh.gif I'm still on your good side, right guys?) [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    And so, a chance comment results in another disproportionately long debate, proving once again that we all have far too much spare time on their hands. Here's to hypersensitivity...
    Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Castomel @ Jan. 12 2003,22:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And so, a chance comment results in another disproportionately long debate, proving once again that we all have far too much spare time on their hands. ?Here's to hypersensitivity...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Here Here!
    edited January 2003
    Yes, we do have to much time on our hands, don't we... I just made a New Years Resolution: Spend less pointless time on the forums and more actually, y'know, doing stuff.
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yes, we do have to much time on our hands, don't we... [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    i did for the past 4 weeks.. but beginning tomorrow morning... classes start.. bah. bye bye free time (well, most of it..).
  • TadrithTadrith Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I have to say, that was certainly an interesting read.

I don't know if anyone else uses the topic tracker features, but I do. I find it very difficult to keep up with the various threads on here, and I also have a lot of time where I can't check here... so I went ahead with using the feature.

So, here I thought this whole thread was all done and gone. I go an open my e-mail, and I have a flood of posts!

This is pretty off-topic, but I was amused by the mass flooding of my e-mail box from a topic that looked all but dead. Just goes to show it only takes a spark to start a fire. wink.gif
  • wonkycyberwonkycyber New Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Yo, mods. Wonky here. Swinging back by the boards for just a moment to ask that this thread be deleted, as I'd rather like to prune what I can of my electronic footprint.

That said, I'll just go ahead and provide a quick retrospective on what happened here. Lionheart was in fact my cousin, who asked me to back him up when he thought he was being unfairly hassled by the mods. I came in to do so, and things got heated. So while there was certainly a lie about my connection to Lionheart, we were not the same person. We also weren't posting from the same PC -- he and I lived in different zip codes. Statements about us "sharing an IP" were either fabricated or the result of us both connecting to the Internet via AOL dial-up, possibly even the same AOL dial-up telephone number, but more likely were fabricated. The wonkycyber account was in no way a sock puppet, and actually was the main handle I was using on the Internet at the time & had been used to submit editorials to RPGamer for 2-3 years previous to the incident here.

One does not use their main handle as a sockpuppet. That's just not how it's done. So if anyone from that time is still on here, that's the True Story. I'm not actually here to reopen an old fight, though. I'd just like to have this thread deleted since it shows up way too early in Google search results for my name.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    So instead of PMing me and addressing this privately, you choose to bring up a thread a decade old...? All righty then. I think I'll just lock it and let it stand on its own merits.
This discussion has been closed.