If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Cleaning spyware off a dead man's computer.

maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The StarsSomewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
edited March 2010 in General Help & Advice
Lately Shadowcat's been trying to clean my dad's computer...

..and while Dad was alive, he was very fond of spyware. Ugh. Like weatherbug. Double ugh. Don't know, but it kept trying to install after 'Cat uninstalled it. Cat's got rid of it for the moment via MSconfig, but anyone know good ways of cleaning out that trash?

93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
My personal page
New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.

Comments

• MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited June 2009
    I would suggest Webroot's Spy Sweeper.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited June 2009
    Location of the entries in MSCONFIG:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run

It goes without saying that you should back up the registry before editing, and set a restore point if you're on WinXP Pro.
  • MegaLink1MegaLink1 Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2009
    Or you could purchase a Mac instead and avoid all the Microsoft hater spyware. laugh.gif
  • HanaseHanase New Member Full Members
    edited March 2010
    I occasionally run Ad-aware and Spybot. You can also check and see what start up processes show up in Spybot's advanced options.
This discussion has been closed.