If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Miyazaki's Films

DQ5DQ5 MemberFull Members
edited September 2011 in Entertainment
For me its Mononoke Hime or Princess Mononoke followed by Nausica and the Valley of the Wind.

Also if anyone is interested Miyazaki's most recent film Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea will be released in over 800 theatres nation wide starting August 14th.

Comments

• shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Looking forward to Ponyo. So far I've seen Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away. Princess Mononoke is in my Netflix queue, so I'm hesitant to declare a favorite at this point.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • DQ5DQ5 Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    I've seem them all and can't wait to see Ponyo on the big screen. As for Mononoke an awesome film and Spirited Away would have to my third favorite though it would seem most people that i speak to enjoyed Spirited Away the most.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Nausicaa bar none. But if we speak of Ghibli in general, then it has to be Grave of the Fireflies.
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Yeah Princess Mononoke is one of my top 3 favorite movies, so definitely that. I'd say Spirited Away after that. I've certainly watched it enough, and it never seems to get old. Howl's Moving Castle is probably equal to Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and those are all the Miyazaki films I've seen.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    The four everyone talks about are Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle.

I have not seen Spirited Away; the other three were great.

And for those that didn't know, the idea of Chocobos were stolen from Nausicaa by Square. Who knew they would become so popular? They have their own spinoff series now.
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    I still haven't seen Nausicaa... it's on my to-do list somewhere. I have seen Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl, and I think I like Spirited Away the best. Howl was all over the place, and while great, it wasn't on the caliber of the others.
    edited July 2009
    Yeah they're definitely the most recognizable as far as I know. I don't really have any desire to see Kiki's Delivery Service and Porco Rosso seems a bit too odd, so I'm not too concerned about not watched them. I still intend to get a copy of Castle in the Sky eventually though.
    edited July 2009
    Porco Rosso was a tad bit out there, considering maybe I first saw in in Chinese. tounge2.gif
    edited July 2009
    Nausicaa bar none. But if we speak of Ghibli in general, then it has to be Grave of the Fireflies.
    Grave of the Fireflies was a great film and i'm not ashamed to admit that it brought tears to my eyes especially at the end. If you've never seen Grave of the Fireflies you should and be prepared to shed a tear or 2 or more.
    edited July 2009
    Oh yeah I completely forgot about Grave of the Fireflies. I'll have to keep an eye out for that too.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Back in 2006, Cartoon Network had a month (or so) of playing Miyazaki films. I had already seen Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service, but I also got to see Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa, and Princess Mononoke (they showed Howl's Moving Castle a year later or so). I still like Nausicaa the most, for some reason. I know this is blasphemy, but I thought Mononoke was sort of boring. I do like Howl and Spirited Away; both made my eyes water a little. ...Though, really, it's not too hard to do that if you get the right music and can make me care even a little. For example, last week, I totally bawled during the ending of the sixth Harry Potter movie, and I've read the books and know all the outcomes.
    ClixPsi.png
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2009
    I've always been a fan of Castle in the Sky myself. But for sheer classicness, Totoro hands down. Who doesn't like Totoro?
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited July 2009
    I've seen a fair number of Miyazaki films, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, and yes, My Neighbor Totoro. I'm also quite excited for Ponyo. It's hard for me to pick a favorite film, but if I had to , it would be Spirited Away. They're all pretty close, though. Out of the ones I haven't seen, I most want to see Nausicaa.

Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• ShinseitoriShinseitori Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Nausicaa is probably my favorite after reading the manga. Definitely gave me a greater appreciation of the film. I also do really like Mononoke and Laputa.

Grave of the Fireflies should come with a warning label. I don't think I've seen anything more sad.
    Rise!
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    For me it goes: Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbour Totoro, Laputa, Nausicaa, Howls Moving Castle. Kiki and Porco Rosso were fun but nothing special for me.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
    edited July 2009
    Didn't they release back then a collection of their older films? They need to do that again within the next few years.
    edited July 2009
    I've always been a fan of Castle in the Sky myself. But for sheer classicness, Totoro hands down. Who doesn't like Totoro?
    Totoro was great in fact when ever i'm feeling down i just think of Totoro's smile for a quick pick me up lol.
  • ACPACP A Crustacean in a Pot Full Members
    edited July 2009
    I can't really choose a favorite amongst the bunch: they each have a unique charm. However, when I'm feeling particularly evil (which is often) and I'm in the company of the friend with whom I watched "Grave of the Fireflies", I'll look over at her, make pincers out of my hands, and start chanting "snippy-snippy...". It's wildly inappropriate, but I do it anyway.
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    - Mark Twain
  • SundoulosSundoulos Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    I don't think that I could take Grave of the Fireflies. I've never ventured to watch it.

I love all the usual favorites that everyone has already mentioned. Princess Mononke and Castle in the Sky are my top two. For those of you who haven't seen Spirited Away...it's worth watching at least once. Porco Rosso is a bit strange, but I remember enjoying it. I think the only Miyazakip-influenced film that I found truly unmemorable was Whisper of the Heart...he only did the screenplay and storyboard on that one, so I don't know if it counts.

I haven't seen Howl yet. I've been meaning to put it in the Netflix queue; I plan to read the book afterwards.

Has anyone managed to see Tales of Earthsea? It's not a Hayao Miyazaki film, but's it's a Goro Miyazaki film. I wonder if it's any good? It's never been released in the U.S. because of some copyright issue with the name (stupid Sci-Fi channel mini-series!)
    Monster Hunter Tri ID: N49H18
    Monster Hunter Name: Sundolos
    Region: North America
    edited July 2009
    Pretty sure you're supposed to watch Grave alone, mostly because it's not fun to watch other people bawl their eyes out.
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Count me in among the people who've been scared off from Grave of the Fireflies after hearing it constantly described as the saddest tear jerker ever produced. 8-(
  • ACPACP A Crustacean in a Pot Full Members
    edited July 2009
    They're not lying: my friend and I cried quite a bit while watching it. Which is why it's best to have a friend with whom you are comfortable to cry when you watch it. I do recommend the film, despite the outrageous levels of emotion it inspires.
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    - Mark Twain
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    It's an experience that everyone has to have at least once, even if you don't necessary enjoy it, it's just extremely well made and is probably the best war-time film ever produced. Powerful stuff.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    I've always been fond of My Neighbor Totoro, and my daughters love it too.
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Oooo, tough choice. Either Naussica or Mononoke, but I have to give the edge to Mononoke. Although I do have to give favorable mention to Spirited Away. laugh.gif

Seargent's by far is Kiki's Delivery Service. Sadly, she does not apprecieate Naussica sad.gif .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited July 2009
    All right! I just found out that the movie theatre at the mall is going to show Ponyo! I don't have to go to Farmingdale, or possible even further, to see it! ^_^
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• RenmazuoRenmazuo Member Full Members
    edited August 2009
    Totoro has a powerful impact on me, I cry everytime I watch it. Beautifully done film.
  • AcathalaAcathala Member Full Members
    edited August 2009
    The Cat Returns if we're just talking about films made by his studio. My Neighbour Totoro for the man himself. Personally found Naussica too long and my interest in it waned in intervals. Haven't seen Mononke yet.
    edited August 2009
    Has anyone else seen Ponyo yet?
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited August 2009
    I did.