If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Backlog Elimination Thread?

evilpaulevilpaul Special SnowflakeBanned Users
edited December 2013 in Miscellaneous Gaming
I know that a lot of people, myself included, have quite a few games they own but haven't finished or even started yet. Would anyone else be interested in a "pick this one to play next" thread where you post a few titles (or all if it's not a huge list) and get suggestions from other RPGamers as to which to start next?

Comments

• OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited October 2009
    I currently have 210 unfinished games in my backlog.

Take your pick.

Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • ShinseitoriShinseitori Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    I'd be down once Year of FF ends. Might be able to squeeze in one or two before then.
    Rise!
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited October 2009
    I currently have 210 unfinished games in my backlog.
    Try 234 (currently)

I like this idea. One of my friends reads Something Awful and he says they have a similar challenge or something where people just pick other games for people to beat from their backlogs.

If people want to do this I think we should move it down to Misc. Gaming and sticky it. What say you?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited October 2009
    That sounds good shop. I've got a few non-RPGs left unfinished myself.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    Are there not certain games in your backlog you can never finish because they are too hard and/or annoying for you? I think every Ogre Battle game falls into this category (hard, annoying). Also, Eternal Poison (too hard).

If so, you should sell these games and take them off of your backlog.
    edited October 2009
    Moved and pinned. Backloggers are us!

• wfbwfb Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    I'll bite. What Square DS game should I tackle next?

The World Ends With You
    Final Fantasy III
    Front Mission
    Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
    Final Fantasy Tactics A2
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    Gee.... I just have Magna Carta 2 (currently enjoying) and Eternal Poison (got bored during the 3rd story playthrough).
  • mr. nailsmr. nails Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    what's the point of this thread? i'm kinda confused with shoptrolls 1st post. are we posting OUR backlog or helping u beat urs? i figure it's posting our backlog, but shops wording has me flabbergasted.
    [url=\"relaxl.png[/url]
    *Short Video Link in Banner*
  • SheleighaSheleigha Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    Oh WOW I like that site! I've been looking around for a site that records games beat/playing/backlogged! I use My Anime List for my anime and manga, but SO happy I can use one for games now biggrin.gif Thank you! Time to get recording!!

Interesting how there is a `beaten` and `completed` button... I guess beaten is just beating through the main story and completed is everything 100% done.

• mr. nailsmr. nails Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    lol, craziness. i just make my own spreadsheets. rock.gif
    [url=\"relaxl.png[/url]
    *Short Video Link in Banner*
  • lithoroselithorose Fire! Fire! Meiuuu! Full Members
    edited October 2009
    evilpaul, is there a darker color you could post in? Pinkish-purple on light grey is kinda hard to read.

My backlog pile is much smaller than some. Couple of the FF Tactics games unfinished or unstarted, a couple other this-and-that's. The real problem is, I never get around to playing them at all, so I doubt I'll find the time in the foreseeable future. Certainly not with the rest of the Year of Final Fantasy to attempt. I'm thinking about taking the last month (when FF13 comes out, hopefully) and finishing some of the Tactics games.

wfb- The World Ends With You, hands down. You can then work on the other games while working on the post-game content of TWEWY.
    edited October 2009
    Yep, There is also a Mastered choice as well. Its for games you've completed and did some sort of challenge run (speedrun, mo magic run, no death run) stuff like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • SheleighaSheleigha Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    Yep, There is also a Mastered choice as well. Its for games you've completed and did some sort of challenge run (speedrun, mo magic run, no death run) stuff like that.
    Working on my list is going to take some time... (Especially the wish list part ._.) For me, I have an entire master list of games played/books read/anime watched list (just in case one of the sites ever go down), on Notepad, but the sites too, provide a nice, cleaner version.

As for games I`ve mastered, so far only two are on the list: a short, simple PC game (Hocus Pocus), where I have played and beaten it too death, and have nothign extra to collect or anything. Second to that is Pokemon Blue, in which I`ve spent over 100 on, glitched it out well, and used my red and yellow to raise even the PRE-EVOLVED forms, and sent them over to Blue (well, all but Mew. No Game Shark for me, and I am NOT starting it over to try the legit trick).

Think I mutalated those games, especially Blue ._.

...working on a Backlog list should be fun though, especially adding in games I`ve played, but pretty much dropped out on (which I suppose, will be my `null` option).
    edited October 2009
    This site looks like it has a much better database than LivingSocial. Think I might move my collection over.
    Rise!
    edited October 2009
    And it gives you a neat little siggy! blush.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited October 2009
    Well, that works for me since I couldn't think of an FF8 sig for Year of FF next month. Apparently there's tons of games I picked up but never finished but at least I only still own 79. laugh.gif

It's also weird to see my PC history laid out so plainly. I knew I'd played mostly PC games, but not over a third of everything I've played. Crazy.
    Rise!
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    I, too, love that site. Eventually, though, I need to get off my butt and add more games. I don't even have half my collection listed, let alone most of my backlog.

http://www.backloggery.com/suzaku

Edit: Okay, kids, the lesson here is that if it takes all day to bring your backloggery list up to date, you have way too many damn games.

ITT we discover that Suzaku has spent too much time collecting games, and not nearly enough time finishing them.... down.gif

• UnfortunatesUnfortunates Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    This site is really interesting! Haven't completed mine yet just have This generation and last generation done. Will try to get the older stuff up as soon as possilbe
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates
    3DS Friend code - 2320-6129-4261 (nickname Zukkar)

Feel free to add me!
  • ShponglefanShponglefan Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    Hmm, suddenly I'm noticing a massive increase in Backloggery signatures.

I blame this thread. Oh, and I was in before it was cool. tounge2.gif
    edited October 2009
    Same here laugh.gif

I'm about one mouth away from my backlogiversary. laugh.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• ZerkerZerker Member Full Members
    edited December 2009
    Well, I already have a game list, so I won't be posting on Backloggery, but I am having a harder and harder time picking the next game. Currently I'm playing Ecco the Dolphin, but after that, I'm thinking of one of:

Baten Kaitos Origins
    Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
    Equinox
    Nights into Dreams
    Startropics 2
    Sly 3 : Honor Among Thieves
    Arcana
    Ape Escape
    Lufia & the Fortress of Doom
    edited December 2009
    Startropics 2
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2009
    I'm ashamed to say that I've started more games than I've wanted to this year, and I really need to find the time to go back and play the ones I've started. Here's what I've actively playing:

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes - roughly 4 hours
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - over 20ish hours
    Digital Devil Saga - 10 hours

And here's what I've put down that I *really* need to get back to:

Final Fantasy III
    Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero?
    Retro Game Challenge
    Rune Factory
    Vanguard Bandits

See? I'm in the middle of what I consider too much. biggrin.gif;; I need to beat more games!
    edited December 2009
    Yeah Shoptroll, you're probably right. I was in the Egypt scenario when I put the game down last. Should be fun once I finished Ecco.

Nyx, I say you probably have the right priority going so far. For the games you put down, I'd say pick up Retro Game Challenge next. Unless you already finished Haggleman 3, Star Prince and Guadia Quest... in which case you can probably just move on biggrin.gif.

I couldn't get past the second boss in Prinny. I should really try again sometime.

edited January 2010
    Well, nobody has posted in this thread since last time, but anyways, I'm now in the mood for a good (first person) dungeon crawl. Looking at my Backlog, I see three games:

Classic first person dungeon crawls:
    The Bard's Tale (NES port)
    Arcana (SNES)
    Eye of the Beholder (SNES port)

Borderline cases (first person dungeons, not "just" a crawl):
    Ultima 3: Exodus (NES port)
    Phantasy Star (Master System)

Action-Adventure third person Dungeon Crawls:
    The Immortal (Genesis)
    Solstice (NES)
    Equinox (SNES)

I'm excluding Roguelikes/Diablo-likes for the moment, since I'm more in the mood for a deliberately designed dungeon rather than something random. Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards Arcana just because I've already finished the first two dungeons, but I was also thinking that "The Bard's Tale" might be more interesting.
    edited January 2010
    Arcana
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Zerker, if you are just looking to check off another game, go with The Immortal. It's fun (once you get past the frustration of instant death tiles) and you can reasonably beat it in about 2 hours tops. Otherwise, I'd wholly recommend Phantasy Star.
  • Super Duper GuySuper Duper Guy Member Full Members
    edited March 2010
    Thanks to this thread, I have my own backloggery account, but it only has a couple of games at the moment. rock.gif

Play whatever makes you happy.
    edited March 2010
    I actually finished Arcana since my last post, and I have started Solstice (using an emulator so I don't have to play it in one sitting). I may play the Immortal next, although I found the combat very awkward from before.