If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Backlog Elimination Thread?

Comments

• redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    edited March 2010
    The combat in the Immortal is pretty simple. Just dodge to alternate sides for a while until the enemy's fatigue goes up a bunch, then start swinging your sword in alternating directions, and repeat if your fatigue gets too high. And have plenty of patience for the final boss as there is a very specific set of events that you must get exactly right in order to win, and it is about 12 commands long.
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    edited April 2010
    OK... I'm finishing up DDS1, but I want to take a little break before getting into DDS2. I've been on a pretty steady run of ATLUS games lately, and want a little break. Here are the choices I'm looking at for playing next (all PS2):

Shadow Hearts 3
    Atelier Iris 1
    Xenosaga I
    Steambot Chronicles
    Radiata Stories
    Choices be damned, just play DDS2

I have played a bit of Xenosaga and Steambot Chronicles, though it has been a couple years on both, so I'll be starting a new game. Let me know your suggestions.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2010
    OK... I'm finishing up DDS1, but I want to take a little break before getting into DDS2. I've been on a pretty steady run of ATLUS games lately, and want a little break. Here are the choices I'm looking at for playing next (all PS2):

Shadow Hearts 3
    Atelier Iris 1
    Xenosaga I
    Steambot Chronicles
    Radiata Stories
    Choices be damned, just play DDS2

I have played a bit of Xenosaga and Steambot Chronicles, though it has been a couple years on both, so I'll be starting a new game. Let me know your suggestions.
    If you looking for a break and you want something light and fluffy, go with Radiata Stories. biggrin.gif It's fun, cute and sweet!
  • ZerkerZerker Member Full Members
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I'm with Nyx on that. Radiata Stories is fantastic; I played it through twice back to back, and I never do that.

Then play DDS2 after. The rest never appealed to me, but your results may vary.
  • ConsoleHandheldGamerConsoleHandheldGamer New Member Full Members
    edited May 2010
    http://backloggery.com/consolehandheld

I have a lot of games I haven't finished, or even got around to playing.
  • teemhteemh Member Full Members
    edited May 2010
    Is there anyway to not have to manually enter the game titles?
  • ShinseitoriShinseitori Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    I tried, I swear to god I tried, to play Vagrant Story again. Something about that game just repels me. Not sure what it is, but considering how much I like the Ivalice universe, it's gotta be significant.

Ya know, the girlfriend owns Radiata Stories...
    Rise!
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited December 2010
    Finally got around to beating Xenosaga Episode 1 (second time, but I consider it backlog since ive not beaten the whole series and its been YEARS)
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited May 2011
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited June 2011
    shoptroll wrote: »

Just saw this. I'm all about compiling data and games, so this should be the perfect match :laugh:
    edited January 2012
    All right, with a new year I decided to make a small list of 10 games I'd like to complete by the end of the year if possible, and in no order.

1. Nier (Got stuck on the fishing and got distracted by other shiny things)
    2. Parasite Eve (End of the 4 Day, just need to beat the boss and not die in the 60 second escape bit!)
    3. Aveyond: The Lost Orb (4 hours in, got distracted by Chantelise at the time)
    4. SMT: Strange Journey (In C Sector, got distracted by DQ4)
    5. Ar tonelico 2 (6 Hours in, still working on Luca Phase 1)
    6. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Still in Detroit, maybe 6-7 hours in?)
    7. Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (In the last chapter, slowly taking my time with this one)
    8. Vanguard Bandits (been on the second last chapter forever!)
    9. Valkyria Chronicles (Haven't started but have been yelled at to play)
    10. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (...still in the first or second world, maybe?)

So these are ten games I'd like to possibly knock out this year providing the review load, and providing the actual free time. In terms of hours, how long did it take you to complete any of these games? Are these games worth putting the time into?
    edited January 2012
    Nyx, this might help you out: http://howlongtobeat.com/
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2012
    Hmmm...not a ton of posts here since this thread started in 2009. And I think I know why! You guys have backlogs, sure. But they're nothing big. I see 100 here...200 there. You guys need... a champion! Someone's who's backlog is so massive that it make YOU feel so much better by comparison. You need a companion who's list of unplayed game is so long, that by the time you get to the end of the list alone, you could have knocked out two who games from your own list. You need... ME!

With a whopping 933 Games in my "Current" collection (which includes games from the GBA to the 3DS, PS1 to PS3 and PC games from Windows XP compatible and up), only 237 "Completed", I have a whopping 696 games in my backlog. Seriously...I'm in a weight category all by myself! Microsoft Excel almost crashed in on itself like a sun going supernova when I typed it all in!

With an estimated 16,686 hours of gameplay to finish all of my games, I'd have to quit my full time job, and play 60 hours / week to beat them all in 5.3 years!

Yeah...I'm a hopeless cause! Now, don't you feel better about YOUR backlog?
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 2012
    I'll be getting to my backlog as soon as my brother gives me back my PS2. All that remains of my backlog lies in the PS2, so I need it to clear the backlog once and for all...starting with Digital Devil Saga 2.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited February 2012
    JCServant wrote: »
    Now, don't you feel better about YOUR backlog?

Yup. You're worse off than I am :p
    edited February 2012
    That's my new slogan. "Put your backlog right next to mine. You'll feel MUCH better. You look good, because I look SO bad!"
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited February 2012
    I have 0 games in my backlog. I cleaned it out last year during the slow time between releases.

Damn, It feels good to be a gangsta.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited February 2012
    That's my new slogan. "Put your backlog right next to mine. You'll feel MUCH better. You look good, because I look SO bad!"

*ahem*

http://www.backloggery.com/suzaku

No, I really don't feel much better about my backlog, actually ;-)

But what's a 1039-game backlog between friends, anyway?

I have 0 games in my backlog. I cleaned it out last year during the slow time between releases.

Damn, It feels good to be a gangsta.

You mean "gamesta" don't you? ;-)
    edited February 2012
    *ahem*
    But what's a 1039-game backlog between friends, anyway?

Hmm....I see you have Pre-PS1 games on that list. I don't include thsoe games on my list. I do, of course, have older system games in Queue to eventually play...I just don't put them on my backlog. If I did, I believe we would be very close. Subtracting those out of your lists shows us preeeeety close :)

Woot to huge backlogs! hahahahaah.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited February 2012
    Hmm....I see you have Pre-PS1 games on that list. I don't include thsoe games on my list. I do, of course, have older system games in Queue to eventually play...I just don't put them on my backlog. If I did, I believe we would be very close. Subtracting those out of your lists shows us preeeeety close :)

Woot to huge backlogs! hahahahaah.

Oh yeah, forgot you didn't include older games.

Backlogged gamers represent! WOO! :D
    edited February 2012
    I have my older systems in my list, but priority goes to anything released in the current - 1 generations in order to keep myself sane.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited February 2012
    Oh yeah, forgot you didn't include older games.

Backlogged gamers represent! WOO! :D

*puts my hands up in the air*
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • OrsonFuryOrsonFury Member Full Members
    edited October 2012
    Ys

I've set out with a lofty goal this year: complete all the Ys games. I've beat 1,2,3,(4.. crossing fingers for XSEED to wow us and confirm that they're bringing Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta remake to my sad vita game-less hands now that's been released in Japan). 5 (Mask of the Sun) I've yet to play since I can't read Japanese. Although admittedly the #1 fan of Ys, Jeff N. has translated this and made it available somewhere. 6. I'm stuck on one of the bosses... the one where you fall into an endless pit during the battle. The boss looked like a giant crab, heh. 7. I played through a bit, but put the game down for a while. Ys VI has been my least favorite in the series so far. The buttons/gameplay is driving me nuts.

Other games/series:

Xenoblade - Wrapping up Alcamoth then onto Valak Mountains. I've put almost 100 hours into this. The addictive side quests is what has kept me going. Plus I like seeing the affinity chart develop as connections happen. It's hard to put this game down. Definitely the best JRPG I've played in the last 5-10 years.

Diablo 3 - Act 3, normal difficulty. I've been going through the game simultaneously with all the five available classes. I don't understand the major hate the game has gotten. I remember a decade or so ago, I just graduated high school when Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction came out in 2000 and played it obsessively for that summer before moving on. One thing I tend to agree with most of the criticism is loot drops are pretty sad to pathetic. I do appreciate the balance of power between classes and streamlining some of the skills when leveling up. This helps me focus on the plot and where I want to head to next. Another area I'm highly greatful is shared loots. I used to hate when Mephisto or Diablo would keel over and co-ops would uber click to pick up the uniques, runes, class specific set drops. etc.

Torchlight - Bought it during the Steam sale this summer, but have been consumed with the games above to tackle this one.

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - About 15-20 hours in. The game is decent, but I don't understand all the hype yet, maybe the plot will open up and get better for now it's been a slow start. The long dialog about teenage humor gets a little old ... or could just be that I'm a gamer in my 30s and this theme is old hat for me and my love affair with jrpgs.

Gungnir - Purchased this one before Amazon sales tax took affect here in my state, but haven't touched it yet. I like SRPGs and this one will be my first dept. of heaven game.

Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time - Downloaded this to my Vita, but waiting to get through further with Legend of Heroes before taking this one on. I'm a little hesitant to play through it too, I've heard there are a million different endings to this one. This will also be my first Growlanser game.
    "The man who sees an opportunity and does nothing is asleep with his eyes open" - Fremen wisdom, Dune: House Corrino, Pg. 472
  • Damien256Damien256 New Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Yesterday I was reading the LAST issue of Nintendo Power, it kind of scared me as it sort of represents the changes we are seeing in gaming. That combined with me reading about 'cloud gaming' and the end of the video game console within the next 10 years made me view my backlog not as a bad thing, but as the last bit of hope for my gaming future.

If 10 years from now I won't be buying games at a store nor playing them on my own hardware I'm going to let my backlog flourish. When everyone else is picking a game from a netflix-like list and streaming it to their TV I want to have enough disks and old systems to last me another 20 years. I don't like the idea of someone else controlling my access to gaming, nor never 'owning' games, plus I would assume there's a nice monthly fee.
    Now Playing: xenoblade chronicles
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Heh. Everyone says that, but I'm sure you'll be DL'ing games just like the rest of us.
    edited January 2013
    I'm with Damien on this, though I have a slightly different take.

I will be buying DL'able games, but it will be PC only. No more consoles for me once they get rid of the discs and such....not unless the pricing model totally switches. Whether its been on the 3DS or the PSN, the cost of a DL game averages much higher than Steam and their various sales. They also have a lot more DRM. The Nintendo games, for example, being tied directly to the console, rather than an account like Steam, is a real let down for me. I have $300 in 3DS games I would buy if that were not the case. The idea that I have to somehow mail them my old console and have them 'transfer' them over is just silly. Sony is a little better, though it only allows for 2 installations of games...hopefully, my vita or PS3 doesn't break more than once. It's pretty bad, even compared to some of the evil stuff Ubisoft does on PC games.

Back to the prices though... I used to collect/buy used games for the most part (and still do from time to time for my PS3). If they get rid of used games for the next gen (See the articles about the disc copyright thing Sony registered with the patent office), then I really have no way of getting older games on the cheap but to hope for the occasional retail sale...and even then, it's not much of a savings. On the PC, Steam sales are just the bomb. I lament the fact of not being able to sell/give away a game when I'm done, but when I pay $7 for the entire Max Payne Trilogy or $30 for the X-Com that just came out...well, that I can deal with not being able to sell it when I'm done :) I'm not going to be tied to Nintendo's or Sony's draconian DRM schemes whilest paying top dollar for older games (and by older, I mean 6-24 months old).
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Dang. I had no idea Nintendo and Sony were so restrictive. If I have to transfer my account and its games to a new 360, it's as simple as 1 (recover gamer tag), 2 (transfer system licenses to new 360 which is limited to once a year), 3 (redownload stuff from my download history).

Still, this is a major problem only if you assume the console companies will stand around with their pants around their ankles when they discover other services are far more competitive than they are. One company may prove too inflexible to adapt and close up shop (we seem to lose 1 of the "big 3" every 2 generations or so), but I doubt all of the big 3 won't make some kind of effort to be competitive.

Btw, is this really a Backlog discussion? Sounds like something worthy of its own thread (and does a dead thread really need to be stickied?).
    edited January 2013
    Perhaps its related, perhaps its another thread. I think its related. Because of the above, I think we're quickly coming on the year where I don't have my backlog growing, but actually shrinking.

As far as backlogs go, mine has grown year over year for 2012. I'm re-inventorying my games now, but my last 2012 updated showed 970 games for an estimate of over 17k hours of gameplay :P I got rid of a number of games at Chistmas after the number of Playstation discs I had exceeded one of those mega 120 disc WalMart holders, hahahahaha. Anyway, re-inventorying will take some time. I'll keep y'all posted.
    edited January 2013
    New Year a new ten games that I am determined to beat! Last year on that list I made I only beat DQ4 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but did make small progress in a lot of those games. They just weren't grabbing me, so we shall see if any of those get tackled in this year.

The 10 I'd like to beat out of my backlog this year are:

1. Koudelka - PSX (on disc 2!)
    2. Ar tonelico 2 - PS2 (6 Hours in, still working on Luca Phase 1 -- been stuck on the same boss forever, hence no progress)
    3. Tales of Graces f - PS3 (in Chapter 7, rough 25ish hours)
    4. Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time - PSP (roughly 36, chapter 3)
    5. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 - DS (roughly 4 hours in, last battle of day 2)
    6. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future - DS (haven't started yet, been wanting to play another Layton game for awhile)
    7. River King: A Wonderful Journey - PS2 (started but didn't get very far so I'm going to restart it at some point).
    8. Alpha Protocol - PS3 (always wanted to play this one! hubby likes it, RPGamer staff like it)
    9. Jade Empire - Xbox (never had the chance to play this but I really want to give it a try)

The game right now that is stopping me from completing these? Persona 4: Golden. Now I will never eliminate my backlog! *sob*
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited January 2013
    With a whopping 933 Games in my "Current" collection (which includes games from the GBA to the 3DS, PS1 to PS3 and PC games from Windows XP compatible and up), only 237 "Completed", I have a whopping 696 games in my backlog. Seriously...I'm in a weight category all by myself! Microsoft Excel almost crashed in on itself like a sun going supernova when I typed it all in!

With an estimated 16,686 hours of gameplay to finish all of my games, I'd have to quit my full time job, and play 60 hours / week to beat them all in 5.3 years!

Yeah...I'm a hopeless cause! Now, don't you feel better about YOUR backlog?

Well I do not feel that good, I still got 379 out of 546 games to finish and I won't get rid of any cause I want to play them all!! My goal is to try to keep finishing more games than I buy, I did fail last years with a -13...
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif