If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Angry Video Game Nerd

mr. nailsmr. nails MemberFull Members
edited September 2011 in Entertainment
i've been watching the AVGN since his birth 5 years ago and it's been fun. for the most part every episode is funny (in video game retrospect). for those who don't know of him he's a video game reviewer that basically reviews flawed and/or crap games. atm he has 80 videos. i'd say about 1/2 are on YouTube, but for the most part u can navigate thru Cinemassacre to GameTrailers.com to watch. he makes his reviews in a comedic sense, but with every other word being a curse word... if u can handle that.

he's just released/reviewed the trilogy of castlevanias on the nes for the halloween upcoming. episode 81 will be for halloween and cover castlevania iv! can't wait for this one. the complete list and dates can be found HERE.

out of the 80 episodes if ur new to the AVGN i'd recommend u start @ episode #46. i'd probably say that's one of his best ones.

others that do the same type of gimmick are The Irate Gamer, Zero Punctuation & The Nostalgic Critic. of those the irate gamer is the better choice, but no one comes close to the AVGN!

lol, here's a video of the AVGN Vs TNC The Final Battle ??

[url=\"relaxl.png[/url]
*Short Video Link in Banner*

Comments

• ShponglefanShponglefan Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    AVGN's great. What I really like is the sheer creativity in some of his reviews. Like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween reviews from 2007. Those were above and beyond.

He does go overboard with the toilet humor sometimes. Okay, most of the time. Although the Godzilla review where he invents a new swearword and bleeps it was pretty funny.

edited to add: I just rewatched that Super Mario 3 one and totally forgot about Super Mecha Death Christ. That was epic. biggrin.gif

• CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    I love AVGN and NC, but I don't think I can take the Irate Gamer. Something about him bothers me.
  • SheleighaSheleigha Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    I watch AVGN and NC and enjoy them both! Really enjoying the Monster Madness series, since it's the closest I'll get to watching most horror movies^^ (Not a fan...) But I like learning about them in the reviews, and he has a great review voice.

NC, I used to think was just a rip-off after finding their battle videos... and then later realized the whole thing was set up ._. Still, it`s awesome how they`ve come together several times across states to do collaborations together. With the NC videos, I love watching movies I`ve never heard of and seeing how terrible they are, along with ones I`ve actually seen as a kid, to be pointed out all the silly flaws/plot holes that I`ve never realized^^
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    AVG is great, but Yahtzee is about 1000 times funnier.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited October 2009
    AVGN's pooty mouth makes mine look pretty tame, and I'm a potty mouth! Hehe

I enjoy the Nerd the most because he talks about a lot of the things that were around when I was growing up. I remember playing a lot of the crappy games he reviews. Plus his board game reviews, a few of those take me back (and make me feel old). o.o
  • mr. nailsmr. nails Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    I enjoy the Nerd the most because he talks about a lot of the things that were around when I was growing up. I remember playing a lot of the crappy games he reviews. Plus his board game reviews, a few of those take me back (and make me feel old). o.o
    my sentiments exactly. thumbs-up.gif
    [url=\"relaxl.png[/url]
    edited October 2009
    AVGN's pooty mouth makes mine look pretty tame, and I'm a potty mouth! Hehe
    Well, of course it's all part of an act... All rehersed so not like it's even improv or anything. Even in his FAQs he was talking about it and how he wondered if people thought he walked around with a white shirt and talked like that tounge2.gif

I just think it's stupid when people think the act is sooooo cool, that they start using his phrases as forums replies -_-;
    edited October 2009
    I'm kind of fond of saying S**load of f**. blush.gif

• kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited October 2009
    But to be fair, how many of us have cursed at the TV, tossed a controller or gave the TV the bird when playing a game. ;P He's the that evil gamer in all of us.

I know what he does is an act unless wearing a white shirt with pocket protector is the in thing now. o.o
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited October 2009
    AVG is great, but Yahtzee is about 1000 times funnier.
    I gotta disagree. Yahtzee can be funny at times, but he long ago traded in wit and sarcasm for gay jokes, and never really represents the games he "reviews" accurately. AVGN is actually very informative and truthful in his reviews. Thing with AVGN is that, sometimes, he'll employ gross visual humor (like the crap on a Jaguar CD), but for the most part, he's actually funny, where Yahtzee tries too hard nowadays.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited October 2009
    I have to disagree with you on your wit and sarcasm point, his use of both is generous in his intelligently worded reviews. By comparison AVGN's brand of humour is creative combinations of invective, not without its charms of course, but it falls well short of the bar set by Yahtzee.
    edited October 2009
    i can honestly say i have NO love for "zero punctuation." it seems he tries to hard to do sumthing he can't do well in the fist place or perhaps it's just not in my fort
    [url=\"relaxl.png[/url]
    edited October 2009
    Not your forte I'd warrent, he does what he does magnificently.
    edited November 2009
    Episode #81 is out. covers castlevania iv and the n64 versions. not to much "toilet humor" in this, but seeing the AVGN's take on it was welcome. lol, n64 castlevanias FTL! ghostface.gif
    [url=\"relaxl.png[/url]
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited November 2009
    Wow, I didn't realize this guy had so many videos. The only one I had ever seen was his review of Back to the Future on NES...incredibly funny, I don't think I stopped laughing throughout the whole thing. I'm gonna hafta check out some more of his "work".
  • Sharkey360Sharkey360 Member Full Members
    edited February 2010
    You guys should read my article of AVGN, which was published by my local newspaper in both hard copy and online versions!

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2007/11/12/life/do.you.play..html

My article is definitely one of the very first Asia-based features of him.
  • KiroLMKiroLM New Member Full Members
    edited February 2010
    Spoony (At [url="http://www.spoonyexperiment.com)"]www.spoonyexperiment.com)[/url] has some pretty interesting videos. He's probably better known for his FF8 review, but there are some other goodies around in his collection. His playthrough of The Ripper (An old FMV game featuring Christopher Walken, Jimmy Walker and a few other odds and ends) is pretty class.
    edited February 2010
    This video shows how much of a console/tech idiot he really is :/ Then you get all the fanboys coming in "haha xbox rulz his ps3 broke right away!" and whatnot.

...plus he's using a Vizio for his "HD TV". Yeah.... No WONDER he can't see the difference. Maybe if it was an LED or something there would be a difference >_> I also LOOOOOOVE "motion blurr off" options^^

• flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited February 2010
    I really never thought too hard about why
    "IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE
    TAKE THIS"
    Doesn't make any sense whatsoever (the man should offer to go with him rather than offer a sword). It never really bothered me, but this does seem to bother AVGN. Him disappearing after I took the sword didn't really bother me either. biggrin.gif

Also...he has old issues of Nintendo Power FTW.

• Sharkey360Sharkey360 Member Full Members
    edited September 2011
This discussion has been closed.