If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XIII Spoiler Thread

24567

Comments

  • TiptailTiptail Member Full Members
    edited January 2010
    I don't think you read my post correctly. I meant that you use an Optima with a combination of Enhancers to boost your stats, then switch your Optima to one with Blasters to break the enemies' defenses, and switch your Optima once again to one with Attackers to deal out a ton of damage (and that's why I had a comma separating these). Then if you are low on health, you switch your Optima to a Defender/Healer combination to start healing yourself again (and that's why I had a slash between these to indicate that these were together). You have almost reiterated exactly what I said about switching the Optimas. Trust me, I had the break meter maxed out on 999.9% about 50 percent of the big battles I played and without doing the above combination, you can't fill the break meter like that and take down the tough enemies and bosses in one to a few turnovers of the break meter. When you've got the break meter maxed out you can deal out 99999 damage each attack with an Attacker if you have a few upgraded accessories and a maxed out weapon in place.

    And what part of the missions are not grinding if I might ask? That's exactly what they are because they are NOT necessary to progression in the game and all the enemies that you run around killing on your way back and forth to and from the missions is what is called grinding. How about you try not doing any of the missions, which means that you don't get any of the special items that you would normally receive from them to upgrade your weapons and accessories and also forfeit all that CP and then just try and make a straight run through the game. I'm sorry to say this but it isn't happening. Final Fantasy XIII is really difficult and it has nothing to do with the fact that you aren't paying attention many times. It has everything to do with the fact that the enemies or bosses can kill you off because they simply can take off more H.P. then you have or whittle down your H.P. faster than you can heal it.

    If you don't want to admit this is the case then how about you go fight one of those giant dinosaurs with the tusks (the ones which are walking in the river on the trailer) using a save file when you've barely reached Gran Pulse and upload it to Youtube. I guarantee with one or two stomps on the ground you'll be dead regardless of how quickly or how many times you switch your Optimas. You can even go try this with a King Behemoth too and I'm sorry but you're not going to win that fight either. You're going to need to do some serious grinding to beat these and these are just regular enemies, not bosses. No offense intended, but when you say, "<span style="text-decoration:underline">But everything is winnable without grinding,</span>" that is an outright lie and you know that's the case as well as anyone who has played through Final Fantasy XIII or spent considerable time playing it.
    I'm sorry if I misread your post, but it was worded in a really confusing manner. I didn't know that "the Enhancer, Blaster, and Attacker combination" was in fact several unspecified different Optima combinations. That still doesn't explain why you said Blaster and Attacker Optimas aren't something you can "get away with" until later, but all right.
    Anyways, if you really are changing them that frequently, then I don't see how the battles aren't versatile.

    And let me clarify what I said earlier. Anything in the story can be beaten without grinding, using only the battles thrown at you or less than that. Up to and including the final boss. Of course you can't beat things like Jumbo Cactuar or the super Adamantoise without advancing your Crystarium. You made it sound like the hardship was in Chapter 13. The bonus stuff does require extra grinding, but that's what the extra missions are for. I don't see how the game can be faulted for adding things that are extra difficult outside the main story, since those things are optional. If the grinding were required in the main story, that could be considered a poor design choice. But it's not. And the most difficult enemies (King Behemoth? Really?) like the Adamantoise are also the most easily avoidable.

    If you're complaining about the battle system, the difficulty and the need to grind on the optional stuff, why even do it?

    And again, the early extra missions I did were hardly grinding. Because I was completing the game fast, I was skipping a lot of fights near the end of the game. Those 14 (easy) missions I only fought the monster group necessary and that's it. In Eden I was using Sneak Smoke to bypass long fights. Which do you think gives more CP? The 20-30 fights in the last two chapters I skipped, or the 14 easiest mission fights? Did I mention that I hardly upgraded any weapons or accessories, either? Let alone used the not-so-special stuff I got from the first missions. Only in the final dungeon did I upgrade anything past level 2.

    I'm going to assert it again. You're not shoe-horned into using specific Optima configurations, and grinding is not necessary for the main story.



  • MegaLink1MegaLink1 Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2010
    No offense intended, but when you say, "<span style="text-decoration:underline">But everything is winnable without grinding,</span>" that is an outright lie and you know that's the case as well as anyone who has played through Final Fantasy XIII or spent considerable time playing it.
    You know she beat the game, right? (Review yayz)

    I've had the priviledge of, well, living with the girl and being here for her whole play experience, and through it all, she mentioned to me more than once about how she thought it was great that she could get by without grinding.

    *Shrug*

    If you haven't found a way to do it without grinding, that's fine, but just admit that. No need to call someone else a liar. I like lots of games that I'm not very good at. Doesn't hurt me to say so, it's jus tthe way things are. I'm not gonna call someone else a liar if they can beat a hard game faster than I can. laugh.gif
    Really? Isn't funny how she said:
    Quote: wrote:
    But <span style="text-decoration:underline">everything</span> is winnable without grinding.

    And then after I called her on it, she backtracked and said:
    Quote: wrote:
    Of course you can't beat things like Jumbo Cactuar or the super Adamantoise without advancing your Crystarium.

    Need I say more?


    Anyway, I read over the review which you linked to and I agree with a lot of things that were written for the most part. I completely agree that this game has terrible replay value and the story is depressingly bad for a Final Fantasy game. And let me add that this comment is spot on (and it deserves to be bolded too! laugh.gif ):
    Quote: wrote:
    Snow is the worst perpetrator of script assassination

    However, I honestly disagree about the battle system being good though. I really wanted to love the fact that it is sped up but switching Optimas all the time and only being able to use a partial list of abilities with each role is kind of a thumbs down for me. If there was more customization to set up the characters you can't control so they don't use stupid abilities on the enemies and bosses you don't want as well as customize your own lists the way you wanted them, then I would have been more inclined to think that Square-Enix made a great battle system but they completely missed the ball here. In contrast, players have been able to customize their characters in this fashion on many of the Tales games for a long time now... I'm surprised that Square-Enix isn't humble enough to take notes from games that have been getting this part right for years.



  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Really? Isn't funny how she said:
    Quote: wrote:
    But <span style="text-decoration:underline">everything</span> is winnable without grinding.

    And then after I called her on it, she backtracked and said:
    Quote: wrote:
    Of course you can't beat things like Jumbo Cactuar or the super Adamantoise without advancing your Crystarium.

    Need I say more?
    If you need to consider something like that a "backtrack" (and propagate the idea that everyone always picks the exact perfect word for what they mean 100% of the time) then sure. Whatever makes you feel better man smile.gif

    With that mutual conclusion reached, let's go ahead and clarify for all those keeping score at home: Final Fantasy XIII's main story can be cleared without grinding.
    It's Megalink1 and Tiptail certified.
  • UnfortunatesUnfortunates Member Full Members
    edited January 2010
    I have to agree with Tiptail here. I actually even used the Sazh, Lightning, Vanielle team as well and only used defender once when I was just using Snow against the Shiva Sisters.

    FFXIII does something really well throughout the first 10 chapters by capping your cystarium progression. This requires you to have skill to progress through fights not ungodly powerful characters to breeze your way through fights. And I honestly don't understand why people are having trouble if I died it was mostly during a summon fight and I even manage to get a 4 or 5 star rating on each fight.

    This game requires no grinding for the story true, BUT if you want to complete all missions and so on yes you will need to. And the the towns/shops and whatever complaining.. really? Are people just looking for something to find as a fault? The story makes the no towns aspect make sense. And the fact of it being linear... You hear no one complain of Demon's Soul's being linear and I haven't even heard as many people cry over FFX being linear.

    I will agree that the weapon upgrade system is VERY disappointing, but other that it is what I expected it to be a great but different Final Fantasy.
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates
    3DS Friend code - 2320-6129-4261 (nickname Zukkar)

    Feel free to add me!
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Well, to be fair about Demon's Souls, it's technically linear, but many of the levels have multiple alternate paths to get to the goal and the World Tendency system leads to certain events causing serious shifts in the maps.

    But it still has no towns and nobody ever complained about that.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Well, to be fair about Demon's Souls, it's technically linear, but many of the levels have multiple alternate paths to get to the goal and the World Tendency system leads to certain events causing serious shifts in the maps.

    But it still has no towns and nobody ever complained about that.
    ...Who WANTS to visit a town in the world of Demon's Souls? *shudder*
    ClixPsi.png
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Well, to be fair about Demon's Souls, it's technically linear, but many of the levels have multiple alternate paths to get to the goal and the World Tendency system leads to certain events causing serious shifts in the maps.

    But it still has no towns and nobody ever complained about that.
    ...Who WANTS to visit a town in the world of Demon's Souls? *shudder*
    Well duh, so you can gather more souls from the townspeople!

    devil.gif
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • MegaLink1MegaLink1 Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2010
    I have to agree with Tiptail here. I actually even used the Sazh, Lightning, Vanielle team as well and only used defender once when I was just using Snow against the Shiva Sisters.

    FFXIII does something really well throughout the first 10 chapters by capping your cystarium progression. This requires you to have skill to progress through fights not ungodly powerful characters to breeze your way through fights. And I honestly don't understand why people are having trouble if I died it was mostly during a summon fight and I even manage to get a 4 or 5 star rating on each fight.

    This game requires no grinding for the story true, BUT if you want to complete all missions and so on yes you will need to. And the the towns/shops and whatever complaining.. really? Are people just looking for something to find as a fault? The story makes the no towns aspect make sense. And the fact of it being linear... You hear no one complain of Demon's Soul's being linear and I haven't even heard as many people cry over FFX being linear.

    I will agree that the weapon upgrade system is VERY disappointing, but other that it is what I expected it to be a great but different Final Fantasy.
    Final Fantasy X's story may be linear but it has several "large" branching paths which lead to different places and sometimes to the same goal. Final Fantasy XIII does not really have much of anything like this until you get to Gran Pulse where the main field opens up and then it branches out in a few directions and you can cross the main field numerous ways to get to the same destination.

    I really think the scale of the towns are something to complain about because Square-Enix has dropped the ball on this one. Given past Final Fantasy games from Square-Enix/Squaresoft, people have come to expect a certain level of developed civilization from their games. With the massive scale of Cocoon and even Rosch mentioning that there are millions of citizens, you sure don't get that feeling at all. Where are all these people? Where are they parking all this military equipment? And why does the game just feel so empty? More than anything else, it feels like the designers were pressured to push an underdeveloped game out the door.

    I haven't played Demon's Souls yet so I can't compare it against what I've seen in Final Fantasy XIII but in comparison to previous installments in the series, I really feel that it's a huge letdown not only for fans but also for people who will have Final Fantasy XIII as their first experience with the series...

    On a high note however, I find that the English voice acting in the trailers is well above the Japanese voice acting in the same places so maybe that will make the story a bit more bearable (let's just hope the translators have found a way to tone down Snow's "hero" crap).
  • JoaqenixJoaqenix Member Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Am I the only one who doesn't care if FFXIII has towns or not, when so many RPG towns/cities lately have become giant sprawling nothingness? I guess it could be argued that it makes them seem more realistic, but I'm pretty over the pointless townspeople who 75% of the time can't even be spoken to anymore, and the other 25% dither on about absolutely nothing.

    If designers can't put in towns that are actually interesting I'm okay with them just removing them entirely.
  • MegaLink1MegaLink1 Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2010
    Am I the only one who doesn't care if FFXIII has towns or not, when so many RPG towns/cities lately have become giant sprawling nothingness? I guess it could be argued that it makes them seem more realistic, but I'm pretty over the pointless townspeople who 75% of the time can't even be spoken to anymore, and the other 25% dither on about absolutely nothing.

    If designers can't put in towns that are actually interesting I'm okay with them just removing them entirely.
    We might as well just get rid of all the NPCs while were at it then too. laugh.gif



  • JoaqenixJoaqenix Member Full Members
    edited January 2010
    laugh.gif touche.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Am I the only one who doesn't care if FFXIII has towns or not, when so many RPG towns/cities lately have become giant sprawling nothingness? I guess it could be argued that it makes them seem more realistic, but I'm pretty over the pointless townspeople who 75% of the time can't even be spoken to anymore, and the other 25% dither on about absolutely nothing.

    If designers can't put in towns that are actually interesting I'm okay with them just removing them entirely.
    We might as well just get rid of all the NPCs while were at it then too. laugh.gif
    That's silly. Why not just not bother making games at all right?
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Am I the only one who doesn't care if FFXIII has towns or not, when so many RPG towns/cities lately have become giant sprawling nothingness? I guess it could be argued that it makes them seem more realistic, but I'm pretty over the pointless townspeople who 75% of the time can't even be spoken to anymore, and the other 25% dither on about absolutely nothing.

    If designers can't put in towns that are actually interesting I'm okay with them just removing them entirely.
    We might as well just get rid of all the NPCs while were at it then too. laugh.gif
    Because NPCs can only live in towns.

    I hate to keep using Demon Souls so much, but there's no towns in that game but there are still a few NPCs at the Nexus (which is the game's hub for hopping into the other parts of the game) and scattered through the game. It doesn't hurt Demon's Souls any - it's always interesting to hack your way through a tunnel of monsters to find a shopkeeper at the end with some healing items or gear you desperately need.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Movies don't have (many) NPCs. I have heard FF13 likened to a movie. You (as a player) are supposed to focus on the characters in the story, and not so much on the characters that are not in the story. Movie directors put their focus on the story characters...Square Enix has done the same with FF13.

    So in turn, they must do their exposition like a movie (in the dialogue) and not like a game (NPCs). There are a lot of tropes about exposition. I imagine more than a few are used in the game, but I've not played it yet. In the E3 trailer, they use at least some narration (Vanille speaking at the beginning).
  • MegaLink1MegaLink1 Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2010
    Movies don't have (many) NPCs. I have heard FF13 likened to a movie. You (as a player) are supposed to focus on the characters in the story, and not so much on the characters that are not in the story. Movie directors put their focus on the story characters...Square Enix has done the same with FF13.

    So in turn, they must do their exposition like a movie (in the dialogue) and not like a game (NPCs). There are a lot of tropes about exposition. I imagine more than a few are used in the game, but I've not played it yet. In the E3 trailer, they use at least some narration (Vanille speaking at the beginning).
    There's more narration by Vanille throughout the game but none of it was all that memorable. The other problem with Final Fantasy XIII being like a movie is that they don't even do a good job making the characters very appealing. I'm a big fan of the character designs this time around but their personalities just don't hold up all that well in Japanese. I honestly hope the translator/translators have chosen to completely revamp the script in English because if what you get in the Japanese version is what you get in the English version, Square-Enix is in for a serious hate-fest from fans.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited January 2010
    I honestly hope the translator/translators have chosen to completely revamp the script in English because if what you get in the Japanese version is what you get in the English version, Square-Enix is in for a serious hate-fest from fans.
    It's Final Fantasy. They're in for a hate-fest no matter what they do. Especially when people have been waiting about 4 years and some paid $600 for their console.



    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • TranticeTrantice Member Full Members
    edited January 2010
    I think the lack of real towns and NPC's is a major deal, in my opinion. But I think there is a disconnect here about needing them or not needing them. Back in the day, they served a purpose. Often NPC's in towns helped direct you to your next destination, or gave hints about secret treasures, or walls with invisible doors.

    If a game is linear, then there really is no need for NPC's. This makes me sad on two fronts.

    I'll use FFIV as an example. When you get an airship for the first time, you truly can go anywhere on the map and find tons of little secret items. NPC's in towns actually help you to find these places.

    But again, if a game is badly linear, then NPC's are not needed. I don't support either of these two game ideas. I prefer open ended game play with lots of people populating the world.
  • MegaLink1MegaLink1 Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2010
    I think the lack of real towns and NPC's is a major deal, in my opinion. But I think there is a disconnect here about needing them or not needing them. Back in the day, they served a purpose. Often NPC's in towns helped direct you to your next destination, or gave hints about secret treasures, or walls with invisible doors.

    If a game is linear, then there really is no need for NPC's. This makes me sad on two fronts.

    I'll use FFIV as an example. When you get an airship for the first time, you truly can go anywhere on the map and find tons of little secret items. NPC's in towns actually help you to find these places.

    But again, if a game is badly linear, then NPC's are not needed. I don't support either of these two game ideas. I prefer open ended game play with lots of people populating the world.
    I'm totally with you there, Trantice. Those two points are a huge deal breaker for me as well.


    And Shoptroll, I don't think any truer words cold have been spoken. There was in fact, a lot of people who bought a Playstation 3 just recently for Final Fantasy XIII and their reaction in Japan to the game was stunning. I've not only read several posts online but also heard people I know using the same exact two words to describe the game: "SH%# GAME"

    This is pretty harsh but I'm in agreement with them about most of the points they bring up and charging almost $100 in Japan for a copy of this game is seriously like highway robbery when you consider what you are getting...which isn't much. Even most of the movie scenes don't come close to the caliber of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children either. Final Fantasy XIII is just so full of melodramatic crap and unappealing characters that it is difficult to explain how bad everything is and how these elements just don't work together.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited January 2010
    MegaLink, I really hope your entire source of "Japanese opinion" isn't yourself and 2chan.

    I just doubt the ability of a single fan to accurately gauge something as broad as, I don't know, millions of people.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • MegaLink1MegaLink1 Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2010
    MegaLink, I really hope your entire source of "Japanese opinion" isn't yourself and 2chan.

    I just doubt the ability of a single fan to accurately gauge something as broad as, I don't know, millions of people.
    Did you read any of the reviews on the Amazon link I posted a few days ago? 55% of the people think the game is mediocre to downright horrible and there's almost 1400 reviews on Amazon to choose from. The majority of the people don't have a lot of nice things to say about Final Fantasy XIII except the graphics and movie scenes look nice including people who gave the game 4 and 5 stars (which in some cases I find a little odd to be giving 5 stars to a game when the reviewer says the battle system is terrible). That's kind of sad if you ask me...

    In contrast, 91% of people who wrote a review on Amazon for Uncharted 2: Among Thieves say that it's awesome. Only 9% of the people think the game is mediocre to downright horrible.

    Now let's really think about things. We all know that Japanese people for the most part love their games. But when you've got over half of the reviewers saying that with the exception of graphics, Final Fantasy XIII pretty much sucks, even by Japanese standards, how well you think that is going to fare in America?

    On top of that, we know that Japanese gamers don't like American games in general and the sales more than prove that. But when you see an American game come to Japan and surprise everyone so much that 9 in 10 people think the game is brilliant, what does that say about the quality of Uncharted 2 universally?

    And Rebochan, for somebody who's never played the game yet, I find it a little odd that you're standing up and defending Final Fantasy XIII in spite of it's apparent flaws that have been spelled out by numerous people besides myself. Also, "millions of people" is a little much, wouldn't you say? Final Fantasy XIII hasn't been selling in the millions because most people have figured out by now that the game is obviously not what it was hyped up to be.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Using the review scores on Amazon, a site that accepts reviews from anyone and of any quality, really isn't a good way to get an honest take on the newest iteration of a series as divisive as Final Fantasy. Trolls are out in force for this series. The fact that there's over 1300 reviews for FFXIII proves that in itself, as it's really doubtful all of those reviews are of any quality.

    By the way, the comparison to Uncharted 2 isn't really fair, since it only has 255 reviews as compared to FFXIII's previously mentioned 1300.



    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • MegaLink1MegaLink1 Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2010
    Using the review scores on Amazon, a site that accepts reviews from anyone and of any quality, really isn't a good way to get an honest take on the newest iteration of a series as divisive as Final Fantasy. Trolls are out in force for this series. The fact that there's over 1300 reviews for FFXIII proves that in itself, as it's really doubtful all of those reviews are of any quality.

    By the way, the comparison to Uncharted 2 isn't really fair, since it only has 255 reviews as compared to FFXIII's previously mentioned 1300.
    Actually, even when there were roughly the same amount of reviews for Final Fantasy XIII as there were for Uncharted 2 a couple of weeks ago, the breakdown wasn't more than a few percentage points difference. I am also positive that even if there were the same amount of reviews for Uncharted 2 as there are for Final Fantasy XIII now, the percentages wouldn't change that much either.

    The other thing is, a lot of the reviews posted are pretty thoroughly written. In fact, a lot of them hit on points that the "official reviews" somehow managed to miss. And we all know how much butt Famitsu kisses in order to keep their strong ties with the game developers intact. So much in fact, that they have turned a blind eye to nearly every negative thing in the game. You will also notice that all of the reviews in English so far haven't been exactly all that positive either. I also think it's a little premature for you to discount all of the reviews as worthless when you can't even read them yourself. What you are doing is exactly the same as judging a book by it's cover.

    Personally, I've read through several hundred of the reviews myself and I find them to be quite honest. And a lot more honest about what you'll get for your money than what Famitsu is saying, that's for sure. I'm not really sure how you can play the trolling card either since there's nobody commenting on or quoting what anybody else said and twisting it around to be a punk. People are simply writing about their experiences with the game. And to be fair, let's look at another couple of Japanese games:

    Valkyria Chronicles is 4.5 stars while Final Fantasy XIII is 3 stars. Just about everyone who's played this game in both Japan and America has agreed that Valkyria Chronicles is a great game and trust me, this game is tons more fun and revolutionary in terms of a gaming experience than Final Fantasy XIII could ever dream of being. How about you check out the reviews below:

    Valkyria Chronicles - Reviews and Ratings
    Valkyria Chronicles (Playstation 3 "Best" Version) - Reviews and Ratings

    Out of 290 reviews total, there are 258 people who gave the game between 4 and 5 stars. That's 88% of the people saying that this is a great game too.

    Now let's look at Demon's Souls in Japan. It has a 4.5 star rating out of 5 as well and that game pretty much has universal acclaim as well. Check out the reviews:

    Demon's Souls - Reviews and Ratings

    Out of 809 reviews total, there are 739 people who gave the game between 4 and 5 stars. That's 91% of the people saying that this is a great game too. Once again, both Japan and America agree that this is a great game.

    In contrast, Final Fantasy XIII doesn't even come close to getting high marks like that <span style="text-decoration:underline">nor will it when it hits store shelves stateside</span>. In fact, you can quote me on this because I, myself, have spent enough hours playing this game with my friend (who unfortunately bought it and now regrets it) and have seen nearly everything from start to finish and in all honesty, you're not getting much for your money except a pretty graphic show.



  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Quote: wrote:
    I also think it's a little premature for you to discount all of the reviews as worthless when you can't even read them yourself. What you are doing is exactly the same as judging a book by it's cover.

    Actually, I didn't say that. What I said was that it's doubtful that all 1300 of those reviews are of good quality, which is totally reasonable considering my earlier assertion that Amazon accepts any and all reviews, and all the trolls that are out to bash any new iteration in the Final Fantasy series. Which brings me nicely to:
    Quote: wrote:
    I'm not really sure how you can play the trolling card either since there's nobody commenting on or quoting what anybody else said and twisting it around to be a punk. People are simply writing about their experiences with the game.

    Trolling is not so tightly defined. Someone in an earlier FFXIII thread posted a troll review from 2chan, just as one example.

    From my own experiences with Amazon, there are indeed a number of good reviews, but those are severely outclassed by all the three sentence long, horribly biased reviews with poor grammar, or the ones from non-fans of the game/series in question who just bash the game. This is also considered trolling.

    For the record, I really don't care what any review says about games in this series. My opinions are so far from the norm regarding it(X and XII duke it out for my favorite in the series, followed by VIII) that I play the games and see if I like them for myself. I was merely pointing out that using the reviews from a site like Amazon is not the best way to support your argument. You'd be better served with a review aggregate site that includes a number of respected reviewers.

    Off topic: I did play Valkyria Chronicles, and it *is* a good game. It's not revolutionary though. It's your atypical TRPG with a storyline that has more anime cliches than I care to name.



    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • MegaLink1MegaLink1 Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2010
    Quote: wrote:
    I also think it's a little premature for you to discount all of the reviews as worthless when you can't even read them yourself. What you are doing is exactly the same as judging a book by it's cover.

    Actually, I didn't say that. What I said was that it's doubtful that all 1300 of those reviews are of good quality, which is totally reasonable considering my earlier assertion that Amazon accepts any and all reviews, and all the trolls that are out to bash any new iteration in the Final Fantasy series. Which brings me nicely to:
    Quote: wrote:
    I'm not really sure how you can play the trolling card either since there's nobody commenting on or quoting what anybody else said and twisting it around to be a punk. People are simply writing about their experiences with the game.

    Trolling is not so tightly defined. Someone in an earlier FFXIII thread posted a troll review from 2chan, just as one example.

    From my own experiences with Amazon, there are indeed a number of good reviews, but those are severely outclassed by all the three sentence long, horribly biased reviews with poor grammar, or the ones from non-fans of the game/series in question who just bash the game. This is also considered trolling.

    For the record, I really don't care what any review says about games in this series. My opinions are so far from the norm regarding it(X and XII duke it out for my favorite in the series, followed by VIII) that I play the games and see if I like them for myself. I was merely pointing out that using the reviews from a site like Amazon is not the best way to support your argument. You'd be better served with a review aggregate site that includes a number of respected reviewers.

    Off topic: I did play Valkyria Chronicles, and it *is* a good game. It's not revolutionary though. It's your atypical TRPG with a storyline that has more anime cliches than I care to name.
    I didn't really find any trolling three sentence reviews that met the criteria you listed from what I have read in the Amazon reviews and a lot of the people were even pretty objective about what they said. Calling Final Fantasy XIII a "SH#% GAME" is harsh but when the reviewers explained exactly why they felt that way by describing the negatives in detail and even finishing the game to give it a fair chance, I think that says a lot. Anyway, if a respected reviewer can speak their mind and still keep their job these days, then I'd love to hear what they have to say about Final Fantasy XIII when they get their English copy.

    Personally, I don't think your opinions are so far from the norm with your favorite Final Fantasy games. You've got several million people here in Japan that will agree with you that Final Fantasy X is either their favorite or one of their favorites and Final Fantasy VIII ranks pretty high up there on the list in Japan as well because people here can easily relate to the school system with uniforms, etc. You'll get a lot of mixed reviews about Final Fantasy XII and even though I'm not a huge fan, I definitely appreciate the game a lot more now that I've gone through this new Final Fantasy and seen what can happen when they remove so many of your options.

    Final Fantasy VIII is atually my favorite game in the series followed by Final Fantasy X (if you include the good ending in Final Fantasy X-2), Final Fantasy IV, and then the original Final Fantasy. I'm a fan of a number of the other games in the series and of course there's the occasional game like Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy XI, and now Final Fantasy XIII which I despise.



  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited January 2010
    FFXIII is “biggest swindle in gaming history”

    Ouch, does anyone know if the magazine in question is a reliable one?
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

    "A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited January 2010
    The biggest swindle in gaming history gets a 4/10?

    Way to use your 10 point scale, guys!
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • UnfortunatesUnfortunates Member Full Members
    edited January 2010
    I have played and beaten the game and have done all but a few of the A ranked missions, and I have to agree with Rebo on this one.

    FFXIII is NOT a bad game. People molded into their brain what they THOUGHT the game was going to be before they played it, and it wasn't what they thought it would be so they point out the negativity. The characters are amazing in this game absolutely amazing in fact. I cannot seem to find why people do not like the characters in the game it bugs me!

    Ok the game is linear, and extremely linear I get it. After putting the 80 hours I have put into the game I can't even imagine the game with a "world map" it just would not work. And once you get to Gran Pulse you aren't supposed to see any humans there so if you complain about that then wow pay attention to the story. I would much rather have a nice linear path with amazing detail than an vastly open area with no detail boring backgrounds and a million paths with nothing there. The weakest part of this game is the weapon upgrade system it feels like a last minute add-on almost no detail in it at all, and could have been a lot better.

    This game along with a few others (Uncharted 2, MGS4 for example) are interactive movies they are meant to portray a story mainly with the actual gameplay on the side. I can get how some people will not like that, but personally story is the most important thing to me in an RPG for example.

    There is much more I could say but will save it for another time but just to be clear FFXIII is a fantastic game and I enjoyed it more than any Final Fantasy since 7, and honestly for every person that doesn't like it there are three that love it. Because personally every person I KNOW that has the game and played absolutely loves the game.
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates
    3DS Friend code - 2320-6129-4261 (nickname Zukkar)

    Feel free to add me!
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Using the review scores on Amazon, a site that accepts reviews from anyone and of any quality, really isn't a good way to get an honest take on the newest iteration of a series as divisive as Final Fantasy. Trolls are out in force for this series. The fact that there's over 1300 reviews for FFXIII proves that in itself, as it's really doubtful all of those reviews are of any quality.
    The active carpet-bombing of Spore's Amazon rating by gamers angry over SecuROM should've been a good reason not to pay attention to Amazon reviews for future high-profile releases.

    Or the continued trolling (via ratings inflation) of the infamous 3 Wolf t-shirt.



    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Wow, I hadn't heard about the 3 Wolf shirt meme...those reviews were quite amusing.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • MegaLink1MegaLink1 Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2010
    Using the review scores on Amazon, a site that accepts reviews from anyone and of any quality, really isn't a good way to get an honest take on the newest iteration of a series as divisive as Final Fantasy. Trolls are out in force for this series. The fact that there's over 1300 reviews for FFXIII proves that in itself, as it's really doubtful all of those reviews are of any quality.
    The active carpet-bombing of Spore's Amazon rating by gamers angry over SecuROM should've been a good reason not to pay attention to Amazon reviews for future high-profile releases.

    Or the continued trolling (via ratings inflation) of the infamous 3 Wolf t-shirt.
    There's nothing outlandish like that on any of the Japanese Final Fantasy XIII reviews I read but I guess some people in the U.S. love their wolf t-shirts enough to write big articles like that... rock.gif
This discussion has been closed.