If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

PSP Faceplate Advice

ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly BlissModerators
edited May 2010 in General Help & Advice
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new PSP Faceplate because mine is pretty scratched up. The PSP version I'm using is the PSP 1000 and I realize some wouldn't be compatible with other versions, which left me a little bit confused since my initial searches did not always indicate which version the faceplate was compatible with. Can anyone suggest a reputable site to buy one of these things from?

Also, how difficult is it to take apart a PSP and go about replacing the faceplate/buttons etc? It looks pretty easy from what I've read, but I wouldn't want to cause any major damage to my system.

Thanks in advance.
"Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

Comments

• Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited May 2010
    A few months ago, I had to replace the battery in my iPod Nano (1st gen). To do that, I actually went to a site called IFixIt.com. They sell parts and have complete tear downs of most every Apple device (even have the iPad). So what does that have to do with your PSP? Well, they also tear down other devices. Among them is the PSP 1000. This link should at least help you figure out how to take it apart.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the guide. I ended up ordering a replacement faceplate for around 8 dollars or something. Heres how it went:

I got the faceplate in, and it wasn't exactly in perfect condition, but it was much better than the one I had. The new one has about 4 little plastic "bubbles" on the faceplate, which I don't really like, but for 8 dollars not bad at all.

Then I went to open up the PSP, and encountered problems. Two screws refused to be removed from the PSP, even though I was using the recommended #00 Phillips screwdriver, and had never attempted to remove them in the past. I ended up drilling the top of the screws off so that I could open it up, and then found some old screws from a broken cellphone I had to replace them. After putting the new faceplate on, I tried playing around with it, and I found the down button is not responding very well. All other directions/buttons function properly, and I tried taking it apart again to remedy the issue, but was unable to.

Overall: I'm unhappy with the state of my current PSP. The down button does not respond well, there are several bubbles inhibiting a perfect view, and my PSP has other issues, such as load times, on top of that. I'm probably going to pick up the Big Boss PSP Bundle.

Edit: Upon trying to play a game, it seems the Dpad has taken a life of its own as Nintendo controllers some times do. I've spent the past 4 hours or so trying to fix this, but I havent found any sensible answer online or in my own tinkering. I was really hoping to play Hexyz Force soon too sad.gif

"Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
This discussion has been closed.