If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow

omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know?RPGamer Staff
edited January 2011 in Staff Review Blogs
So, I've just picked the latest DS Blue Dragon title, Awakened Shadow. All I've really done so far is create my character and learn the basics of the game's combat system. On the surface, it appears to be very much what I thought it was going to be: It's Dragon Quest 9 with the simple action combat system that that title was originally planned with.

My first impressions aren't particularly great, though. Although I've put in less than an hour so far, I can say a few things at least. The character creator wasn't bad. Although the number of options weren't terribly diverse, there was enough to create many differently styled characters. There are a fair number of hair colors and styles to choose from, and since those are the most recognizable aspects of any Toriyama design, it works fairly well.

The combat is decent, but not that impressive either. You can attack, block, and if you hold the attack button, you can use special skills. Rather than using MP, using a special skill simply locks out your skills for a short time.

The worst part so far is definitely the localization. It's just piss-poor. Although I wasn't expecting much, there have been consistent errors in the text already. The most noticeable is that characters keep referring to the main character using plural pronouns like "they," as if the game can't differentiate between single player and online modes. The voice acting is pretty awful too. The visuals are top-notch, though. Some of the best 3D on the DS. Appears to be cel-shaded, too.

These are just first impressions, mind you. And I also just finished playing Nier, which was freaking awesome, so that probably doesn't help things. I'll put more time in tomorrow and see where it goes.

05/25/2010

"Got 3 of Cookies" - I think that pretty much says it all about the localization.

I think I just found the title for my review non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

05/28/2010

"Looks like Jiro has the bigger load." - Kluke

I think that's the most entertainment I've gotten out of this game so far.

I will quickly add that the "combine" system is interesting, but charging you gold to use it is stupid. The system's main purpose is to get rid of useless items, so it makes no sense to charge cash for it as well. Using the system, you can create new items or upgrade existing ones by combining two items together. Sort of like the fusion system in SMT, but for items rather than characters.

"It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
Follow me on Twitter
Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Comments

• omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2010
    quick update
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2010
    So... is this game, y'know, FUN?
    edited June 2010
    [quote=Quote:(Nyx @ Jun. 28 2010, 6:28 PM)]
    I haven't touched it in a while, sorry. But no, not really. It's more dull and monotonous... sort of like Dragon Quest. So, if it WAS their intention, as I believe, to try to mimic Dragon Quest as an action RPG, they succeeded gloriously, as far as game mechanics go. The game isn't nearly as charming as Dragon Quest though.
    Follow me on Twitter
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited June 2010
    [quote=Quote:(omegabyte @ Jun. 29 2010, 10:37 AM)]
    I haven't touched it in a while, sorry. But no, not really. It's more dull and monotonous... sort of like Dragon Quest. So, if it WAS their intention, as I believe, to try to mimic Dragon Quest as an action RPG, they succeeded gloriously, as far as game mechanics go. The game isn't nearly as charming as Dragon Quest though.
    Not remotely surprsing. A BORING BLUE DRAGON GAME?!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
    edited June 2010
    [quote=Quote:(ConfessorRahl @ Jun. 29 2010, 10:41 AM)]
    [quote=Quote:(omegabyte @ Jun. 29 2010, 10:37 AM)]
    Not remotely surprsing. A BORING BLUE DRAGON GAME?!!!
    Hey hey, the first one was fun.
    Follow me on Twitter
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    omegabyte said:
    Hey hey, the first one was fun.

I had fun with this one as well..............in multiplayer

The game would have been much better if they ripped out all the pointless dialog
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Any idea on a release in europe?
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
  • kraz007kraz007 New Member Full Members
    edited January 2011
    If it's released in Europe...
    Game: online RPG game with real tactical combat => Join playtest, get bonus gold!