If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Good Blog Platform?

flamethrowerflamethrower MemberFull Members
edited June 2010 in General Help & Advice
Okay, it's the year 2010 and I think I want to start a blog. I have an idea for a topic for my blog, but I don't know the technical details.

1) What is the best blog platform? Which one is the easiest to use? For what I want, I will need images + text (I think most blogs can do this?).
2) Is it worth it to pay for my own server or virtual server? I hear it is not expensive.
3) Do I need web design experience? Are there designs and software available for free?
4) Most blogs have a really small audience. But I don't think many have an audience of one. How do I advertise my blog? Not for advertising revenue, but for anyone who might be interested?
5) Are there articles about it I can read elsewhere?

Comments

• CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited June 2010
    I can't say I've used many blogging platforms but my own blog is on Blogspot. It has a lot of nice features, including easy image upload and display, rich text editing, an easy way to mark a break in your posts (so only the bit up to the break will be displayed on the front page), lots of templates, plugins, and search capabilities. The only thing it doesn't have is a way to display all the post titles with a particular label (it shows the full posts, not just the titles). Everything is done via a web interface so no software needed, and it's totally free.

Can't help you much with advertising, but if you link to other blogs, many of them will show your blog as a link below the post (forget the term for this, since I don't link other blogs). You can also do what I do, which is put it in the signature of all the forums you visit and your e-mails.
  • VarieVarie Member Full Members
    edited June 2010
    1. Most people I know use Wordpress. (wordpress.com) I've dabbled with Wordpress, Blogspot, and Vox. I personally use Livejournal & b2evolution.

2. No. Most hosted blogging (blogspot, wordpress etc) allow you to direct a domain name to your hosted blog. Unless you want to upload a ton of media and the like to it I do not suggest buying webspace for it. You could just simply register for a domain name, if that is what you are intending.

3. No. If you don't know webdesign, most blogging platforms have a library of templates you can use and edit.

4. I mainly see people plugging their blogs in forums, interest groups, and the like. But to be honest, it really depends on what kind of blog you want to write.

5. Not that I know of.

Hope this helps
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited June 2010
    Wordpress is fairly intuitive to use.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2010
    Like most of Google's software; blogspot falls into the category of "free and good enough"
This discussion has been closed.