If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Comments

• breaka666breaka666 Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    gunchukus exist, check out some Bayonetta gameplay on youtube.

good show.
    Dogfancy
    Get your Portable ID!
  • NergalNergal The Don Full Members
    edited July 2010
    [quote=Quote:(breaka666 @ Jul. 04 2010, 9:41 AM)]
    gunchukus exist, check out some Bayonetta gameplay on youtube.
    Not to mention rocket launcher tonfas! non-cgi/emoticons/inlove.gif
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited July 2010
    [quote=Quote:(Fowl Sorcerous @ Jul. 03 2010, 7:51 PM)]
    no mentions of how stupid and impractical the gunblade is as a weapon? *tsk*
    It's more practical than Rinoa's weapon...
  • breaka666breaka666 Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    @clix - actually I hear dog cannons are being tested in the turkish military.
    Dogfancy
    Get your Portable ID!
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010
    I need a gunblade here in Utah.
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited July 2010
    [quote=Quote:(breaka666 @ Jul. 03 2010, 9:31 PM)]
    @clix - actually I hear dog cannons are being tested in the turkish military.
    The dog cannon isn't the most ridiculous part. Her weapons are wrist-launched chakrams that somehow return to her and perfect latch back onto her wrist-launcher.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010
    I want Quistis' whip. That was the coolest thing about that character. non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • Sir ErdrickSir Erdrick Overlord Full Members
    edited July 2010
    For the record, the scene I quit at was the orphanage reveal scene. As for the show, I thoroughly enjoy it when the game that shall not be named gets torn apart.

• OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010
    [quote=Quote:(Sir Erdrick @ Jul. 04 2010, 4:30 AM)]
    For the record, the scene I quit at was the orphanage reveal scene. As for the show, I thoroughly enjoy it the game that shall not be named gets torn apart.
    High-five! That's where I quit, too.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited July 2010
    You know, Nyx, there's no need to hold back. Tell us how you really feel about the FF8 women. non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Hot teachers with whips! non-cgi/emoticons/inlove.gif
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010
    [quote=Quote:(Fowl Sorcerous @ Jul. 04 2010, 10:51 AM)]
    no mentions of how stupid and impractical the gunblade is as a weapon? *tsk*
    Stupid, impractical, and yet with a long history behind it...
    edited July 2010
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, it's easy to see why they fell out of favor quickly.

That shield pistol looks like it might be pretty cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I actually liked the junction system, myself. I won't try defending much else from the game.
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited July 2010
    The only thing I didn't like about junctioning spells, was that it seemed like you were being punished for making use of them. Which in turn promotes that boring mash Fight to win strategy.
    There really needed to be some sort of buffer, so you could use most of the charges whilst losing very little from the stat.

Well there also needed to be some sort of fast draw system too. Drawing for 11 turns (minimum,) might sound fine for powerful spells like Meteor and Full-Life, but to ask that of basic ones like Fire and Cure is a bit off putting.

Still I guess that is what I ended up doing to get through the game. I only heard about a more minimalistic game being better right before going into space, so it was a little too late to try. (I have better games to replay, before trying this again!)

No mention of Triple Triad at all? I thought that was one of the better parts of the game, although a little more than a time consuming distraction.

•Mr. Batty is sizing up the situation! Mr. Batty felt a little strange... (- Earthbound)
  • lithoroselithorose Fire! Fire! Meiuuu! Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I never found Drawing to be all that much of a burden. I just drew a few times each battle in an area so it didn't drag much, using whoever was most effective at getting stuff. Between battles I'd redistribute magic to the other members that weren't drawing. The only one that gave me much trouble on my last playthrough was Life, which few enemies had, so I had to do all the drawing in a single battle. It's a very interesting idea, but perhaps could have been executed better.

I like most of the characters in the game (Zell excepted), but never could get into the story much. And this game has one of the best soundtracks ever; Uematsu's best work.

Another great podcast!
  • SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I'm glad the Spoony review got at least a small mention. While everyone picks on FF8, I must say that hearing Noah Antwiller yelling about receiving a magical lamp from his professor which contains THE DEVIL remains one of my favorite parts of his review.

That said, I actually enjoyed Final Fantasy 8 a lot more than FF7. I started when CronoTrigger, Secret of Mana, and Final Fantasy 6 were advertised everywhere and Final Fantasy 6, as cliche as it is to admit this, became my standard for judging games. So when I picked up Final Fantasy 7, it was a huge let down compared to the others. I think by Final Fantasy 8 I was willing to accept that Final Fantasy wasn't all on the same quality spectrum as 6, and was willing to forgive some of its flaws. Now, it definitely isn't one of my favorite Final Fantasy games, and I think it probably deserves a lot of the criticism it gets, but if I had to play 7 or 8 I would replay 8 in a heartbeat.

I really enjoyed the discussion about avoiding levelling and how it made the game more enjoyable. I always find it weird when a game "levels" with you -- how does that help you at all? In fact, I think that surprised me most about Final Fantasy Tactics the first time I played through it. I was having fun exploring the various classes and abilities, but every time I levelled, those chocobos and knights in Mandalia Plains levelled, too. And while I kept my "rusty sword," they had Iceblades. It's a bit weird to have the strategy of being able to level past difficult sections removed in an RPG, I think it confuses some people.

I think, ultimately, all I got out of Final Fantasy 8 was a strong dislike for ellipses and the belief that if being a jerk isn't good enough for you, you can always show just how awful you are by breaking out Squall's patented 5 ellipse attack. ".. ..." -- for when "..." just isn't good enough to show how little you care.
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the great comments about FF8. We'll definately get them read on the podcast. What about Castlevania DS games? Any questions or comments about the trio of Castlevania games that came out on the DS?
    edited July 2010
    [quote=Quote:(jcservant @ Jul. 13 2010, 9:30 AM)]
    Any questions or comments about the trio of Castlevania games that came out on the DS?
    Which one was the 'good' one, again?
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010
    To the winner of the prize, I'll be mailing it out on Thursday or Friday, and since I know who this person is, I hope they enjoy it. non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
    edited July 2010
    [quote=Quote:(Fowl Sorcerous @ Jul. 13 2010, 1:20 PM)]
    [quote=Quote:(jcservant @ Jul. 13 2010, 9:30 AM)]
    Any questions or comments about the trio of Castlevania games that came out on the DS?
    Which one was the 'good' one, again?
    You know...I kinda enjoy all of them ... but our panel may think otherwise.
  • lithoroselithorose Fire! Fire! Meiuuu! Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Oh, I forgot about the prize entirely!

Can we have a picture at least?
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010
    Selphie!

She's one of a kind! Honestly though, I'd rather give something unique out as a prize, but that's just me. Aeris and White Mage, however will be staying here with me though. non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
    edited July 2010
    Wow...NICE nyx!!
    edited July 2010
    Wait! I didn't listen to the last 10 minutes of the podcast. Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon for the Wii is coming up? When do you record the podcast? I need to go beat that tonight before you spoil it all!
    edited July 2010
    You better. You know how much we LOVE spoilerz on Backtrack!!
    edited July 2010
    I know! An RPG Backtrack without spoilers is like a day without sunshine! And a day without sunshine, well, that would be night!

• Overlord_LeonOverlord_Leon Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    OMG I WANT THAT SELPHIE

And I always hated her. Oh well.

And *draws up self and holds out flame shield* I like FFVIII. A lot. It's one of my favorites in the series, and I've played all but XII and XIII at this point. I really loved the level of customization allowed by the junction system, and I actually kinda liked Squall as a character. Rinoa can die in a fire though, as can Selphie. And really, who doesn't like Zell? I mean, come on, he's hilarious.
    Also known as Deimosion on various corners of the internet.