If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

We've Moved!

Comments

• bluemanrulebluemanrule Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    The new boards are very clean and inviting. Nice job! How do I return to the home screen from the forums? I think that would prove very beneficial.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have strong opinions. Slanted they may be. Uninformed they are not.
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Paws wrote: »
    We deliberately disabled that, yes.

Awww... *Sad ferret*
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010
    We've discovered that some threads do not align well with news stories posted six months and older due to how the two boards handle numbering and filing. We've added instructions on how to find those topics if people stumble onto them.

Index links should now correctly direct readers to their threads, and news stories will begin having corrected links hopefully by the end of the day.

Also, as people have discovered YouTube embedding is currently enabled; however, abuse of that function will mean losing it for everyone. Don't be that person. You will not be liked.
    edited July 2010
    The new boards are very clean and inviting. Nice job! How do I return to the home screen from the forums? I think that would prove very beneficial.

It's now at the bottom of every page.
    You should have a bar with these links on the bottom right:
    * Contact Us
    * RPGamer <--
    * Archive
    * Privacy Statement
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Is there anyway to turn the grey spoiler text boxes on with these boards?
    Or should we just expect to be spoilt by older posts?
    edited July 2010
    We're working on that. Spoilers going forward are working correctly.
  • sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited July 2010
    Oyashiro wrote: »
    Awww... *Sad ferret*

I don't know that our team has yet fully wrapped their head around the Groups feature and what it is on vBulletin. I personally can't see much harm from letting you form a "we like paws" fan group, but there are implications when you allow that stuff (like the we hate Chris's smelly socks hate group) that people aren't ready to deal with yet, if ever.
    179811.png
  • sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited July 2010
    Bolts wrote: »
    The light grey and blue are distinct yes. However when a topic becomes hot they both appear orange with only a very hard to distinguish open or closed envelope to mark them.

I'd like some feedback on this. Personally I'd rather see a theme that uses less space, like they have over at neogaf. But that'd also require smaller sig/avatar sizes. What do you guys think?
    179811.png
    edited July 2010
    shentino wrote: »
    I am too.

Like I said, I'm just upset at Murphy's Law for delaying it so long.

I for one certainly don't envy the hard work the staff had to go through to pull this miracle off.

To be frank, a few purple hearts wouldn't be out of line.

Actually, the person I'd like to thank is Unknown over at http://www.simplemachines.org/. He sent me a number of helpful emails with some very good tips for getting these boards into a usable state. Also, his emails served as the final push I needed to get over the hump of getting this done. So thanks, Unknown!
    179811.png
  • lithoroselithorose Fire! Fire! Meiuuu! Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I was going to wait a week or so to comment on possible themes, but since it's been asked... can we have one option with a dark neutral background and white text?

And I'm in favor of smallish avatars and signatures. I've seen too many forums where the sigs are vast and the posts are small.

AND, thank you thank you thank you for the new forums! I can do direct avatar uploads now! Wheee!!!!
  • shentinoshentino Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Personally I could go with some red, gold, and black in keeping with the theme of the main site.
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I'd personally love a darker theme myself. White drives my eyes bonkers. Always used to on the old boards too.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
    edited July 2010
    I was more looking for feedback on the sizing of the theme. The colors will most likely be in accordance with our lovely dragon-inspired colors.
    179811.png
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I wouldn't want avatars to be much smaller then they are. I don't think 150x150 is too unreasonable and I don't think the avatars themselves would make much difference in the size of things. Signatures, however, can be as small (or non-existent) as you want
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited July 2010
    A little warning ahead of time on the main page would have been nice. Although, with the number of times the boards have changed over the years, I can't say I was too surprised.

I didn't have any problems with the last version, but I was only a moderate user. What exactly was the reason for the change this time? Something on the back end? /curiosity
    edited July 2010
    This software has a lot more functionality for users and moderators. We'll be adding and subtracting those features over the next week or two to suit the community's needs.
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    The old software also had some really nasty glitches which resulted in at least three instances where everybody's signature and avatar were overwritten by a random person's.
  • GrayWolf323GrayWolf323 Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Cidolfas wrote: »
    The old software also had some really nasty glitches which resulted in at least three instances where everybody's signature and avatar were overwritten by a random person's.

that was kinda amusing, I've actually kept that avatar

edit: or at least I did until this forum move apparently
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I wouldn't want avatars to be much smaller then they are. I don't think 150x150 is too unreasonable

150x150 is good. Anything bigger will cause trouble for people using a mobile phone (vBull works pretty well on mobile devices, dunno how ikonBoards fared) and netbooks.
    watcher wrote: »
    A little warning ahead of time on the main page would have been nice.

I still think there should be some main page announcement regarding the new forum software once the dust settles.
    Paws wrote: »
    This software has a lot more functionality for users and moderators.

So very very much this.
    Cidolfas wrote: »

I've never seen that sort of issue happen on vBulletin or even PHPBB which has it's own issues.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
    edited July 2010
    Anyway, time for the awards ceremony.

For bravery in the face of battle, and more so for getting their share of bumps and bruises in the process, I do hereby award a set of Purple Hearts to the administration, staff, and codemonkeys who nursed the board and carried it through to a successful migration.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Great job.
    edited July 2010
    Color works

[noparse]You're just doing it wrong ;)[/noparse]

EDIT: Tag documentation
    edited July 2010
    I didn't type the tag, I clicked the color button.
    edited July 2010
    So did I

I don't think vBulletin does rgb codes, so I don't know where that came from in your post originally
    edited July 2010
    Try clicking one of the bottom purples in the right side of the color grid.
    edited July 2010
    As a reminder to all, please do not abuse or "test" global forum functions unless directed to by a moderator. That includes post report.
    edited July 2010
    Guilty...

At least now I know it works though.

:P

On a related note, I think a dedicated thread should be created so that users can report bugs and/or problems.
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited July 2010
    that was kinda amusing, I've actually kept that avatar

edit: or at least I did until this forum move apparently

I think the old link currently still works, if you want to download it and have that avatar again....

BROKEN LINK REMOVED

...unless you meant the Star Ocean or Fighter avatar. I'm afraid I don't know where those were hosted.

But you could put back Chris from Scotland's signature if you are missing that too: ;)

Visit my blog

Edit: Oh, the image was just in my cache still... well I could download it and use it as my avatar, so you can copy it I guess.
  • PowerlordPowerlord Spy, gentlemen! Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Ah good, a new board. The old one seemed kind of creaky.

Now... I do feel kind of guilty recommending IkonBoard to FireMyst all those years ago... I'd never actually used it; I only recommended it because it was a Perl-based database-backed forum.

Having said that, due to finances, VBulletin isn't a board I'd choose for my own site. The yearly subscription thing just isn't for me.

Edit:
    It seems odd that the Profile Picture size is smaller than the Avatar size.

Edit 2:
    PAWSIPOO!

Edit 3:
    VBulletin has apparently changed its pricing structure to free updates for the current version. It used to be they charged a yearly fee to get upgrade, much like their primary competitor UBB.
    edited July 2010
    Heh, how I remember getting restricted 6 years ago for spamvertizing your home site :P

Welcome to the boards Powertrip.

Loved your April Fool's gag for '03 btw :D
    edited July 2010
    POWIEPOO~~~
    We need a new inlove icon.
This discussion has been closed.