If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Tactics Ogre Remake Revives Matsuno

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited July 2010 in Latest Updates
Matsuno is returning to help Square Enix with a remake of Tactics Ogre. Will it be as great as the original or is it too early to tell?

Story

Now with media!
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Comments

• OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Wrong link.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited July 2010
    Fixed '
  • scorpioscorpio Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    OMG, this is awesome news. I would love to play this game again, "re-imagined". AWESOMENESS
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Interesting ...
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I hope this means there is a chance he will work with them on new games. I know, keep my expectations to a minimum.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Killer, I own the original, never gotten around to completing it but have had quite a lot of fun with it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Definitely keeping my eyes peeled for this one.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Will Pat Sajak and Vanna White be playable characters?
    ---
    Ha Ha :P
    ---
    But seriously folks, I would prefer to play it on my PS2.
  • Glowing HyrenGlowing Hyren Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Slayer said:
    Will Pat Sajak and Vanna White be playable characters?
    ---
    Ha Ha :P
    ---
    But seriously folks, I would prefer to play it on my PS2.
    Perhaps vowels will be available in shops too :)
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral
  • SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I'm excited about this. I haven't seen a copy of the game since I was a kid, I'd love to beat it now that I'm an adult. After the carebear nature and happy frogs of Jeanne d'arc and Chocobo's Dungeon, it'll be nice to play something that makes me feel like an adult again.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Ho. Ly. God. Didn't see that one coming. My faith in Square Enix is henceforth restored.

*proceeds to swoon*
  • SirusjrSirusjr Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Sigh, they had to put this on PSP. I sure hope they remove perma-death.
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Reimagining, eh? I've had bad luck with those in the past, but I remain cautiously optimistic about this. Hopefully they'll consider making games based off some of the prior "episodes" too. A new Ogre game period is reason enough to be happy and I hope they'll make another Ogre Battle game some day.
    Sirusjr said:
    Sigh, they had to put this on PSP. I sure hope they remove perma-death.
    I remember there being a way to revive characters, only the item/spell required was rare or wasn't available until late in the game?
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I am really shocked myself they brought this series back
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited July 2010
    They did it to troll Chrono fans.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited July 2010
    Oh, and this was just officially confirmed for North American release. YES!

Story updated with media.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I'm surprised that Matsuno is working with them again after the FFXII Screwjob that S-E pulled on him.
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Frozenbabylon said:
    I'm surprised that Matsuno is working with them again after the FFXII Screwjob that S-E pulled on him.

Ugh... Maybe in a few years they'll let him remake that as he wants. ...Yeah, that's crazy talk.
  • SquareSideSquareSide New Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I first saw the title say Wheel of Fortune for NA then the Update says it will not be that title. LOL. Good.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Frozenbabylon said:
    Didn't he have a nervous breakdown during the game's development? I don't think you can entirely blame the company for how the game deviated from his vision after he left. No matter how much they may have wanted to be faithful to his vision, without him in the mix, preserving it would be impossible since the people who took over for him would have put their own interpretation of his vision into their work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited July 2010
    MonCapitan2002 said:
    Didn't he have a nervous breakdown during the game's development? I don't think you can entirely blame the company for how the game deviated from his vision after he left. No matter how much they may have wanted to be faithful to his vision, without him in the mix, preserving it would be impossible since the people who took over for him would have put their own interpretation of his vision into their work.

I think the breakdown occurred due to executive meddling. Once he was out of the way, SE pretty much had their way with the game.
    edited July 2010
    Matsuno supposedly stepped down as director at the end of 2004, and the game was released a bit over a year later in March 2006. Considering the scope of the game, I really doubt SE made substantial changes after he left. They probably spent most, if not all of that time squashing bugs and generally polishing the game for release.
  • SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Reading through the article to from the RPGamer article, it sounds like the battle system is getting changed and new classes added. That makes me a little nervous, a game that is held as highly as this one is makes me want to play it in its "pure" version. I guess we'll see what the remake is like. I'll take what I can get!
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I've never played the original so I will be playing this regardless of changes since I won't have nostalgia to color my views of the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Private PrinnyPrivate Prinny Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    *tears of joy*

The SRPG goddess finally heard my prayers.....

regarding the concerns about gameplay changes and new classes...it came out fine with Final Fantasy Tactics "War of the Lions" (well mostly) so I think it will work out fine.

New Fire Emblem DS, a ERSB rating for R-Type Tactics 2 "Operation Bitter Chocolate" a remake of Tactics Ogre, now lets hope for a new Advance Wars and a western release of Shining Force Feathers and Blaze Union and I will dub 2010 the Year of SRPG's *maniac laughter*

Yes, I am a SRPG (TBS)-fanboy.....who cares? ;P
  • RalsuRalsu Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Hell yeah! Wait..only on PSP? Crap.

/dilemma
  • chaoticprimechaoticprime Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I have played this game rotten on the PSX. I mean, I played the friggin' crap outta it. This gives me an excuse to destroy it yet again.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010
    ThroneofDravaris said:
    Matsuno supposedly stepped down as director at the end of 2004, and the game was released a bit over a year later in March 2006. Considering the scope of the game, I really doubt SE made substantial changes after he left. They probably spent most, if not all of that time squashing bugs and generally polishing the game for release.

Nah. They completely redid the plot. Off the top of my head I know two stories on that. One was that Basch was originally the game's main character, as Matsuno wrote it. The SE bosses thought Basch was too manly and the fans would revolt. They wanted a sissy guy to be the lead, and nagged Matsuno over a long period of time to make that change. Since this, naturally, required a major rewrite, it was one of the things others took over after Matsuno left, and now we have Vaan, the sissy-man/kinda-lead. The other story is that when FF12 released, a close friend of Matsuno's was quoted as saying he purchased the game, watched the intro CGI sequence, and then turned it off and wouldn't see any more of it. His reason was that after the intro sequence ended, none of the game or story was Matsuno's unaltered work, which gives you a strong idea of how much was changed after he left.

Japanese companies run a tight ship, so it's never been spelled out what exactly happened, or if Matsuno really had a mental breakdown, if he just got pissed by all the changes being forced on him and ragequit, or if he was fired for stubbornly sticking to his original plan, but there was definitely, definitely major meddling both before and after he left. I recall reading somewhere that the year and a half between when Matsuno left and when the game released was spent mainly on scenario redesign, not gameplay redesign or bug-squashing.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited July 2010
    I know that Matsuno originally intended Basch to be the main character and Square Enix forced him use the more Nippon-friendly Vaan and Penelo instead, but those things were said to have happened early in the project. Unless Matsuno left much earlier than people have let on (unofficially late 2004, officially August 2005), then the rewrites wouldn't have happened after he left. I'm pretty sure FFXII media involving both Vaan and Penelo began surfacing in early 2004.
    edited July 2010
    From what I read, Balthier (or his approximate prototype) was first considered as the lead, but they moved on to Basch soon after once they started to focus more on the actual scenario (though aspects of Balthier's importance remained in the final game during the Arcadian portion of the story). Vaan and Penelo existed prior to meddling, but they were sidekicks at the time. Vaan was meant to be Basch's pupil and a raising star of his own, but XII wasn't meant to be his story. The fact that the final product still doesn't feel like Vaan's story is sort of the evidence of how superficial Vaan's "main character" status is.