If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

FFXIV - Who's Getting It?

Comments

• JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    This thread is still about FFXIV, right? ;)

Players uncertain about or outright resistant to playing XIV should know that, upon launch, XIV will fix much of what was wrong with XI along with implementing features from other popular modern MMOs--even WoW. And considering how different XI is from launch, imagine where XIV will be in a few years!

XIV will be a game where reasonable time spent can be reasonable time rewarded, unlike XI. And instead of a single character being locked into classes (like WoW and most MMOs) and instead of having those classes be static (like FFXI), XIV will allow free mixing and matching of abilities and traits between classes like in FF5 or FFT. Guildleves are an effective and streamlined method of gaining rewards (both money and experience) that can be scaled to accommodate players that choose to play alone or would prefer to play in parties of over 10. Finding parties will be easier, and moving around the world will be quicker and more efficient than XI, as XIV employs teleport/heal/quest giving crystals ala FFXII.

Rest assured, XIV will be an entirely better game (or at the very least, more playable) than XI. So those who liked XI are certain to like XIV. And those who disliked XI but liked WoW may find themselves drawn to XIV as well, since not only will it include some of the conveniences WoW currently possesses, but it also looks a hell of a lot nicer and allows you to truly customize your character's abilities.

Oh, and another thing. One problem (IMO) that XIV has not fixed is that users will still have to pay a monthly fee for additional characters. However, all users will get one free "mule" character. That, along with the ability to play any class on a single character as in XI, is a step in the right direction.

So are there really only 2 or 3 of us here that are getting XIV? :o
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    I'll be giving FFXIV a try, I played FFXI for years, and recently resubbed to watch what craziness SE will pull out next.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • HylanHylan Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    I've got the CE all preordered and can't wait.

I've been in the beta for a lil bit awaiting next phase. Its good, but that's all I can say til they lift the NDA.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    So are there really only 2 or 3 of us here that are getting XIV?

Well, all those features you listed make it sound a lot more interesting. I remember reading an interview with some FF11 devs who admitted it was a learning experience for them and they did a lot of cloning as a "safe bet". They learned a lot and they planned on making sure FF14 has a more unique "FF-esque" spin on the MMORPG formula. Whether they succeed at that...well, that's anyone's guess.

But hey, looks like Squenix is interested in creating a 360 version and are still negotiating a deal. That will solve a lot of my PC gaming issues. I'll be sure to give it a shot then...er, assuming I can do so without buying it first.
  • XenofeiXenofei RPG Addict Full Members
    edited August 2010
    I plan on pre-ordering the CE this Friday. I have played just about every MMO that has been released here in the US, but my favorite so far is FFXI. I played XI for about 2 years starting from the US release before my linkshell sadly dissolved. Needless to say, I have been waiting for this game to release for a while. :P Will probably have to play it on my girl's Alienware laptop though, because I sadly only got a score of around 2100 on the benchmark on my desktop.

Also, I rather liked the fact that you didn't have quest icons over npc's heads. It always seemed to me that part of any RPG, whether it be a single player one or an MMO, was the idea that it was always good to check, read, and talk to everything you can. Iunno, that is just my opinion. Plus I feel it really was one of the reasons the community was as good as it tended to be, what with the whole relying on others for help and info about where are the hidden or non-obvious things were. Well, that and needing parties to do anything, hehe.

P.S. Since you offered, I would be willing to try out the beta Zelgodes, please. :P I have been dying to get some game time in to check out the game before release.
    "I Seek A Thousand Answers, I Find But One Or Two..." - Bad Religion
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited August 2010
    Jormungand wrote: »
    I found FFXI to be an extremely flawed game in almost all aspects--the biggest problem of all being that so much time when into completing tasks that yielded too little a reward. I expect XIV to fix everything that XI did wrong, and that includes being a game where I can just pop online for a few minutes or the whole evening and still be able to accomplish something.
    I don't know if I EXPECT them to fix this, but I sure hope they do. If they want me to be playing past the trial, they'd better. :)
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited August 2010
    They have done wonders Mac. I can't wait til they lift the damn NDA so I can talk about it, but I'm one of the few testers I know that actually honors NDAs (maybe that's why I get into a majority of the betas I apply for *shrug*).

I agree that I am glad that there is no quest indicator over NPCs heads. That's one of my biggest issues with WoW, LotRO, or similar games. The whole go into town and grab all the quests you see then go quest kinda takes away from the whole exploration fun factor of RPGs. I like having to talk to EVERY npc, cause who know who will give you the quest for great Aunt Matilda's Walking Stick (that turns out to be a magic rod)? Its more fun than right click, accept quest, follow arrow to quest area of WoW clones. To me at least.
  • XenofeiXenofei RPG Addict Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Hylan wrote: »
    ... I agree that I am glad that there is no quest indicator over NPCs heads. That's one of my biggest issues with WoW, LotRO, or similar games. The whole go into town and grab all the quests you see then go quest kinda takes away from the whole exploration fun factor of RPGs. I like having to talk to EVERY npc, cause who know who will give you the quest for great Aunt Matilda's Walking Stick (that turns out to be a magic rod)? Its more fun than right click, accept quest, follow arrow to quest area of WoW clones. To me at least.

Precisely how I feel about the matter. Also improved quest rewards would be awesome, here is to hoping.
    "I Seek A Thousand Answers, I Find But One Or Two..." - Bad Religion
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited August 2010
    Hylan wrote: »
    They have done wonders Mac. I can't wait til they lift the damn NDA so I can talk about it, but I'm one of the few testers I know that actually honors NDAs (maybe that's why I get into a majority of the betas I apply for *shrug*).

I agree that I am glad that there is no quest indicator over NPCs heads. That's one of my biggest issues with WoW, LotRO, or similar games. The whole go into town and grab all the quests you see then go quest kinda takes away from the whole exploration fun factor of RPGs. I like having to talk to EVERY npc, cause who know who will give you the quest for great Aunt Matilda's Walking Stick (that turns out to be a magic rod)? Its more fun than right click, accept quest, follow arrow to quest area of WoW clones. To me at least.
    That's good to hear. I have taken much of the broken NDA stuff I've read with a grain of salt, because lots of those people claimed that FFXI was really solo-friendly "if this or that"... That said, I'm willing to get FFXIV a shot.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Don't have patience with MMOs or the people. I realized it with WKC and that's just on quests.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    I like knowing where a questgiver is, especially if the questgiver tends to patrol or wander around a region. It's even worse when the questgiver is hidden in some area or very difficult to find and that same questgiver starts a long quest chain (that damned UBRS key). Throw in some very tough monsters en route to a questgiver, a lack of reward, and maybe a condition that causes a regular NPC to suddenly become a questgiver as a result of another action, and the lack of identification for questgivers becomes a slap in a face.

In games where you can find all sorts of loot as a result of exploration, then I don't mind if questgivers are hard to find, but in MMORPG's, at least the few I've played, where the chances of getting anything is based entirely on very rare drops, I'd prefer those questgivers were marked. Please.
    edited August 2010
    Whoever said FFXI was really solo-friendly either is delusional or has a serious illegal hallucinogen problem. All I'll say is if FFXIV made you HAVE to group I'd be passing on it. As it is, I have the CE Pre-ordered. Take that to mean what you will. :P
  • UnfortunatesUnfortunates Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    I agree I have been in the beta (hence my absence recently) and it is fantastic once that NDA is lifted expect a ton of new info that will change a lot of people's mind on the game. And if you go off preorders the game will be big at the start US only is getting in the 200,000 range so if you add the Asian and Europeans preorders who knows how many people will playing this game upon release.
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates
    3DS Friend code - 2320-6129-4261 (nickname Zukkar)

Feel free to add me!
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Paws wrote: »
    If WoW was sooooo easy, why then did nobody defeat Lich King heroic without a scaling buff? Getting to 80 is simple. Getting ready to raid has been made time a time sink. Beyond that, how difficult the game depends on what the player pursues. Moreover, reading a Wiki isn't hard. And your ignorance is showing. Again.
    FFXI did a lot of things right, and it did a whole lot more not so right. If FFXIV doesn't implement some of the features WoW has made standard to the industry, it's going to suffer. But why do you keep commenting in these threads, shadowcat? You're not going to play any of these games.

Paws here's how I heard WoW is/runs and you can bash me if I'm wrong: A good hardcore player can get lvl 80 in two months tops(by playing only a few hours at a time) and most of the gear is useless except for top level stuff. The storyline is awful and so is the community(no one wants to talk to you or help you). Plus once you get lvl 80 all you do is the same 20+ raids over and over again which all run about the same way and get old quick. Also you can't sell much of anything which hurts the virtual economy. Now I got this from reading forums full of people who play WoW currently and ones who got bored and quit for these very reasons so I could be off. Also Paws if you want a hardcore NM/boss try "Absolute Virtue" from FFXI...SE claims you can defeat him but no one has and in fact one ls spent like two days(my estimate may be off) trying to beat that guy and gave up!

Also I have a minor interest in how FF14 works but like I said I'm not really interested in playing another MMO. I can't afford the fees for two MMOs and I have very little spare time anymore so I'd rather focus on finishing my FFXI goals. I'm not ready to quit FFXI and I know some people can do this but I can't play two MMOs at once.
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited August 2010
    Shadowcat wrote: »
    Paws here's how I heard WoW is/runs and you can bash me if I'm wrong: A good hardcore player can get lvl 80 in two months tops(by playing only a few hours at a time) and most of the gear is useless except for top level stuff. The storyline is awful and so is the community(no one wants to talk to you or help you). Plus once you get lvl 80 all you do is the same 20+ raids over and over again which all run about the same way and get old quick. Also you can't sell much of anything which hurts the virtual economy. Now I got this from reading forums full of people who play WoW currently and ones who got bored and quit for these very reasons so I could be off. Also Paws if you want a hardcore NM/boss try "Absolute Virtue" from FFXI...SE claims you can defeat him but no one has and in fact one ls spent like two days(my estimate may be off) trying to beat that guy and gave up!

Also I have a minor interest in how FF14 works but like I said I'm not really interested in playing another MMO. I can't afford the fees for two MMOs and I have very little spare time anymore so I'd rather focus on finishing my FFXI goals. I'm not ready to quit FFXI and I know some people can do this but I can't play two MMOs at once.

You nailed what I can't stand about WoW (although you didn't mention the over the top, cheesy graphics which i can't stand). I can understand the reason for not playing two MMOs at once. Who has the time for 2? Unless you make yourself a really casual player in both games or you glue yourself to your chair and don't move during the day and just play, the answer is (or should be) no one. Plus who wants to pay for 2 P2P MMOS? If you have that kind of money, send some my way ;).

Besides FFXIV will still be here when you finish your FFXI goals. If you can stick it out and complete them I say go for it. I just couldn't force myself to put up with the Jueno wait anymore.
  • Ryan RadcliffRyan Radcliff Caballero The WoodRPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    I may get it. I may not.

The Beta has not grabbed my attention that much for me to go bat **** insane over this game yet...

I played XI, I played WoW...with both games I could honestly say I had fun. XI was the harder game for sure, but no PvP except that crappy game.

I really want a Dragoon. It's why I bought XI, and these new job classes are all silly to me. Final fantasy has a long line of games with certain names. Dragoon, Dark Knight, Monk, Paladin, Red Mage, Blue Mage, Summoner...etc.

Give me job classes that define Final Fantasy and maybe I can get more pumped about this game.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you. They exist so you may know your freedoms."
    edited August 2010
    To debate your point too much I'd have to discuss beta details. Lift damn you NDA :). The beta has grabbed me. I didn't think it would, and without being able to discuss WHY it grabbed me, I can't really debate with you :).
    edited August 2010
    Scar wrote: »
    I really want a Dragoon. It's why I bought XI, and these new job classes are all silly to me. Final fantasy has a long line of games with certain names.
    But, the Dragoon of XI was not a traditional Dragoon. Not even close. A pet wyvern? No heavy armor? Instant jumps? Come on. Not that it wasn't an awesome class, especially solo--but it was not the typical FF dragoon.
    Dragoon, Dark Knight, Monk, Paladin, Red Mage, Blue Mage, Summoner...etc.

Give me job classes that define Final Fantasy and maybe I can get more pumped about this game.
    All meaningless, considering you can make any of these "jobs" and more with the armoury system. OK--maybe not Blue Mage and Summoner. Yet.

Being able to mix and match traits and abilities > locked into a class with a locked subjob. This is the natural evolution of the classic job system.

EDIT: By the way, the NDA for screenshots has been officially lifted now that open beta will be starting soon. That includes the NDA being lifted for providing text explanation along with the screenshots. (video/audio isn't allowed yet, unfortunately)
    edited August 2010
    I haven't seen anywhere in the tester area where Square has announced the NDA being lifted. Until that happens I won't consider it to be lifted. If you see where they have announced it, please provide the link.

And btw, it isn't going into "open beta" as you stated. SE gave fileplanet and a few other distributors keys (which they are still only providing to their paid subscribers). Its just a larger "stress test" for closed beta. FP is advertising it as an open beta, but its not, SE is still in a closed beta for FFXIV. To be an open beta, SE would have to let everyone who wanted to test it download the client and make an account. You can't download the client unless you have closed access (or torrent it from somewhere), and you can't log in to play without a closed beta account registered through SE.
    edited August 2010
    The NDA stuff is all over the net. It was confirmed directly with SE:
    http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2010/08/11/share-your-beta-experiences-and-knowledge-and-screenshots/

And it may not be a traditional Open Beta, but that's the terminology they are using:
    http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2010/08/11/closed-beta-application-deadline-open-beta-applications-coming-soon/

And yes, anyone can download the client. I just downloaded it from FilePlanet last night. No, you can't log in without a key--but you can certainly be prepared. :)
    edited August 2010
    *shrug* I can see where sites have said the NDA has been lifted, but the SE site and beta forums don't have such an announcement. From principle, I signed the NDA with SE, so until I recieve official communication from them I won't break it. If it has been lifted great, I just haven't been informed yet. And fileplanet having something for download doesn't make it legit. I can't tell you how many times I've seen them leak stuff early. But I don't really care about that one way or the other, and you're right it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Personally if SE opens the floodgates I doubt I'll play much til launch. The beta area is simply not big enough for that kind of player load.
  • Ryan RadcliffRyan Radcliff Caballero The WoodRPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    Regardless of what you consider "traditional" in the sense of FF is irrelevent with my post. I, the buyer of the game want something a certain way, and if those needs aren't met I can't see any reason for me to buy the game.

Granted, we are still in the beta of a game that has a LOT of room for imrovementm, but yet I can't really see myself falling back into the grind that a MMO demands.

You can call uit selfish or whatever. I could give to craps. If I am going to be paying a monthly fee for a game that has NO tie ins with the Final Fantasy series.....well yeah, it's not going to happen.

And if I am being vague I guess I am in the same boat as Hylan. I do not want anyone knocking at my door because I broke some rule about a game that is about to come out. Mums the word.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you. They exist so you may know your freedoms."
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010

That's for assets already released with one exception -- self-taken screenshots. The rest (including a list they've specified above and beyond) is off-limits. The reason they're listed is because they've revoked accounts for it.
    edited August 2010
    *shrug*

Self-taken screenshots are rampant at the moment, do you really think Square expects anyone to post them without textual explanation? Eorzeapedia, where literally all of my info comes from, has administration that is directly in contact with Square about all NDA-related matters. They are very careful about this sort of thing.

Oh well, open beta's around the corner anyway, and I'm satisfied with the info I already have. Just thought other readers might be interested as well.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    The open beta isn't going to be particularly long; they're essentially going straight from "closed" to launch. It's less then a month away.
  • UnderdogUnderdog Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Saving my MMORPG for The Old Republic. No interest in this title.
  • HooneyHooney New Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    after wow, aion, gw, l2, ffxi, etc., kinda taking a break from mmos. trying to catch up on some of my console games (like ffxiii). besides i was kinda bummed out when it turns out to look exactly like ffxi. looks like to me they just ported ffxi to the new gen consoles and changed a few things. plus the gameplay footage wasn't all that great. of course this is just all visual inspection, i'll wait maybe after it releases. but as of now, nope, not gonna get it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Already preordered. New PC with the necessary specs is coming in the next week along with a copy of SC2. All I'll need to get is a new GPU and I'll be ready for FFXIV.

I found FFXI to be an extremely flawed game in almost all aspects--the biggest problem of all being that so much time when into completing tasks that yielded too little a reward. I expect XIV to fix everything that XI did wrong, and that includes being a game where I can just pop online for a few minutes or the whole evening and still be able to accomplish something.

I understand the concern people have over the recommended specs. They are a bit ridiculous for an MMORPG, but then again, this game should deliver quite a punch visually. I guess I was lucky--I had never had a "gaming" PC before, and the combined might of SC2, FFXIV, and the future Diablo 3 hit at the right time for me to upgrade.

The question is... where will I find the time needed to play just one of these titles, let alone all three? And that doesn't even include the SC2 editor, which I could practically live in. :)

Apparently there is plenty wrong with it, and some bland graphics as well. I can say with great authority however that the OST is great.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited August 2010
    Apparently there is plenty wrong with it, and some bland graphics as well. I can say with great authority however that the OST is great.

I didn't read the whole thing, but this article indicates to me that Square didn't really learn its lesson with FF11 and that my complete lack of interest in FF14 is now partially justified at least.