If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

FFXIV - Who's Getting It?

13»

Comments

• SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    I think the problem with Square Enix is that they're particularly bad at handling fan criticism, I'd warrant that the XIV Beta is only being used to iron out bugs, and not to improve player interaction (because that would require their acknowledgement that they've done something wrong).
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    The OST is generic Uematsu. :p Will be replacing every single track with the music of far superior composers.

Believe me, I've been following all the negative criticism. I'm confident it'll be fixed.
  • DescaraDescara Fly Away Now Full Members
    edited August 2010
    I wanna play it, but...I'd have to upgrade my video card. Seems like it'd just be easier to wait for the PS3 version. I mean, it's not like there's 29,526 games coming out in March anyways.......right?
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    Hm, I was kind of hoping that they'd bring Kumi Tanioka and especially Naoshi Mizuta back as well. While Uematsu did some very good tracks on the FFXI soundtrack (The Main Theme, Recollection, Ronfaure), most of the legwork was done by Naoshi Mizuta, and this made for a very strong soundtrack.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited August 2010
    Agreed, but IMO Uematsu's tracks are stronger this time around.
  • UnfortunatesUnfortunates Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Apparently there is plenty wrong with it, and some bland graphics as well. I can say with great authority however that the OST is great.

Remember this is a BETA! MMOs never launch smoothly. Really you shouldn't judge an MMO until about 6 months after release. Don't know where the bland graphics come statement comes from the game is beautiful and the best looking MMO I have ever seen.

For example WoW had a pretty horrible first few months but got much much better after what about 3 or 4 months of bug fixing post launch. FFXI's launch wasn't like typical MMOS unless you played the JP version because we got it so long after the majority of the bugs had already been worked out.

That being said yes the Beta has some issues but that is the whole point of the beta to test what SE has implemented to see if it works or not. And I am sure if things don't work as intended in the first few months SE will change them.

People need to stop treating it as a Demo because it isn't. The people that got into Beta are there for finding bugs not seeing if they like the game. There needs to be a serious revamp of how beta applications are done I am tired of people that treat the beta as if it is the FINAL PRODUCT.

Oh and btw one thing that really bugged me about that article was when they talked about Character Customization. SE has already said that the closed beta DOES NOT have all the character creation options. Little more research on the author's half would have been greatly beneficial.
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates
    3DS Friend code - 2320-6129-4261 (nickname Zukkar)

Feel free to add me!
  • DescaraDescara Fly Away Now Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Even watching Youtube low-quality videos of the beta, it looks very pretty. The hell kinda standards do these people have?
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited August 2010
    From what I could tell, the issue wasn't mainly bugs. It was about interface, one of the primary cornerstones of a game. That may be fixed over time, but that's not something that's going to be suddenly different when the game launches and likely won't change until the first or second major update or expansion.
    ClixPsi.png
    edited August 2010
    I don't see SE altering the interface to any great degree, I'd hardly call SE responsive to fan criticism.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    I don't see SE altering the interface to any great degree, I'd hardly call SE responsive to fan criticism.

They did listen to the FFXI player's complaints to a degree but it was mosly on job improvements...not the interface.
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited August 2010
    With all due respect, Noob, an interface overhaul is no small task and not something that can be easily implemented. Not immediately redoing the entire game's interface because of feedback during beta is to be expected.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited August 2010
    I just heard about the Fatigue System... You only get 8 hours total a week that you can gain experience? I don't really feel that FFXIV will last very long.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
    edited August 2010
    Oyashiro wrote: »
    I just heard about the Fatigue System... You only get 8 hours total a week that you can gain experience? I don't really feel that FFXIV will last very long.
    See, this is how the whole backlash began in the first place. "I heard this and that and so and so" and the net goes into a frenzy. :)

See the following articles to get the full picture:

Tanaka tweet
    Komoto explains surplus system
    Read, reread, and realize just how much of this was 1) blown out of proportion and 2) will probably change anyway.
    edited August 2010
    That sounds even worse than what Oyashiro said ... :/
    edited August 2010
    In short: you can play as long as you want, but you're encouraged to play more than one class during that time.

And it'll change anyway.
  • The SpartanThe Spartan New Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    I was never interested in XI, but XIV looks very promising. I just wish Square would stop putting online-only games in the main series. It's not traditional Final Fantasy.
    o.v.g
    edited August 2010
    I think that's pretty much moot at this point ... I don't see why FFXIII should be part of the main series and FFXI not.
    edited August 2010
    I was never interested in XI, but XIV looks very promising. I just wish Square would stop putting online-only games in the main series. It's not traditional Final Fantasy.

horse2.gif
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Huh, what an oddly appropriate emoticon.
    edited August 2010
    Right, regarding the fatigue system, here's an article by our own EmeraldSuzaku discussing it.

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2010/08/26/op-ed-design-philosophy-and-the-fatigue-system/

I'm not playing FFXIV, certainly not until I get out of grad school and get a job again (so not soon :P), but I thought you guys would want to see this anyway.
  • UnfortunatesUnfortunates Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Rebochan wrote: »
    Right, regarding the fatigue system, here's an article by our own EmeraldSuzaku discussing it.

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2010/08/26/op-ed-design-philosophy-and-the-fatigue-system/

I'm not playing FFXIV, certainly not until I get out of grad school and get a job again (so not soon :P), but I thought you guys would want to see this anyway.

Great article! I am glad the fatigue system is getting all the attention is has been getting because in my eyes it will weed out the people that aren't competent enough to understand how a system works. Most people that have bashed the system are not researching it properly at all. They hear one thing and bash upon that without even knowing what they are talking about.

Oh and remember for the phase 3 beta testers that said it hit too fast they already said it wasn't implemented correctly during phase 3. This was because of the extreme amount of skill points we were receiving when guildleves were giving you enough skill points to level 2-3 times off one guildleve. Since fatigue is based on amount of exp/skill points not time like most have come to think we reached the fatigue point a lot quicker than intended (however the fatigue reset is based on time).

Anyway... Anybody here want to try to get on the same server on launch and try to play together at certain times? Would be a fun thing to try out.
    PSN ID - Unfortunates
    Steam ID - Unfortunates
    3DS Friend code - 2320-6129-4261 (nickname Zukkar)

Feel free to add me!
  • HylanHylan Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Unfortunates, if you are interested my ls/company site is http://echovanguard.guildlaunch.com if you wanna join us. We're already using my vent and stuff :) (On there I am Jaager)
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    I see there's a special controller for the PC version of FFXIV. Look at how radically different and new and thoroughly designed it is...oh wait.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-23-official-ffxiv-pad-coming-to-europe
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited September 2010
    I see there's a special controller for the PC version of FFXIV. Look at how radically different and new and thoroughly designed it is...oh wait.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-23-official-ffxiv-pad-coming-to-europe

looks like the original design for the ps3 controller. the ugly boomerage design.
    sup?