If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Post character limit

SiliconNooBSiliconNooB MemberFull Members
The new message boards have a 10 character requirement for posts, is there any way to turn this off for the word association game? Because it makes things a little bit complicated ...:o
Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Comments

• shentinoshentino Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I second the request.

Surely there is at least a way to hack in an exception for the forum games board?

I foresee it being a problem for the describe the person * you threads as well.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010
    I've wanted a minimum length for some time, but the previous software didn't support it; there's ways around it for the games, as has been demonstrated. It'll stay for now, and we can revisit the subject in a few months.
  • sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited July 2010
    shentino wrote: »
    I second the request.

Surely there is at least a way to hack in an exception for the forum games board?

I foresee it being a problem for the describe the person * you threads as well.

Also, please keep in mind hacks make maintaining boards harder. More difficult patching and feature loss upon upgrades. I'd really like to avoid hacks whenever possible.
    179811.png
  • shentinoshentino Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    This one sounds simple enough

if (charcount < 10) {
    barf(error)
    }

change to

if (charcount < 10 && forum != forumgames) {
    barf(error)
    }
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010
    Right now, and possibly ever, I don't want to screw that deeply with individual forum coding. There's other stuff we're concentrating on first. As I said -- we can revisit the subject in a few months' time. I sympathize with the fact it's an inconvenience, but you'll have to take my word there's a reason for it to apply to every other thread and forum. There's simple work-arounds for all games that should have been posted by now. If you don't see one, please feel free to PM Mary-Alice and she can perhaps edit the first post in the thread / give a practical example. If you just can't stand those, empty bold tags are seven character. Huzzah!

Since the original question has been, in my fair estimation, amply answered, we'll consider the topic closed for now.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010
    I would've guessed it was a setting. If it's hacking PHP, I have a long list of things to fix before I can get to that. Sorry.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
This discussion has been closed.