If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 140: "It's Mortal Kombat"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited August 2010 in Latest Updates
RPGCast - Episode 140: "It's Mortal Kombat"

Cataclysm impressions, Dragon Quest IX multiplayer, and Mortal Kombat highlight this week's show. Mikel also gives you his Pok

Comments

• gdawgtukgdawgtuk Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Love the show as always. Thanks for playing my Tunes!
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Wow, Mikel talking about P3 just really makes him sound sad. I mean, I like hot women getting railed as much as the next guy, but I don't play my games for that purpose. I have the internet, after all.

With regards to Fable, why is anyone surprised that a heavily touted feature isn't going to make the cut in a Fable game? That's as routine as the sun coming up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited August 2010
    If lionhead studios didn't promise tons of stuff that we all know wont make it in the final cut id be worried.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    Personally, I'm glad that Kinect isn't going to be in Fable III. It'll probably be a better game for it.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    I still wanna know how you would turn around your character in kinect games if you can?
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
  • pcaballepcaballe Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Hey are you guys getting beta keys to give away for cataclysm?? Hearing Paws talk about it made me pee myself from excitement :)
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”
    -Einstein
  • 7thCircle7thCircle RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    You can't put too much weight on what bnet league you're in at first. In the singles matches since my initial placement, I am 8-2. 2 of those wins were against Platinum opponents and 2 were against Gold, but apparently it takes more than that to get out of the Silver league. Kinda lame that it places you based on only 5 matches, and then I can tear apart favored opponent after favored opponent including a 6 game win streak all against favored opponents... and still be in Silver.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited August 2010
    If anyone wants to play some Starcraft 2 add me by my email address: garrett.lindquist@gmail.com
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    MasterChief said:
    Wow, Mikel talking about P3 just really makes him sound sad. I mean, I like hot women getting railed as much as the next guy, but I don't play my games for that purpose. I have the internet, after all.
    I don't recall exactly what I said, but if saying I like story (social links and interactions) more than crawling an unchanging dungeon makes me sad, then I'll be a sad one. The Mitsuru thing was a joke. I thought an obvious one.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited August 2010
    Haha I will share this with everyone cause of my sheer confusion on where it went so wrong. I started by trying to make an RPGCast theme which you can hear in the beginning but somewhere after that I think I just ignored the premise of a theme and went all Dues EX with it. So, scrap this one, time to try again.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b2egfe6/n/Garrett_Lindquist_-_RPGCast_opening_gone...epic.mp3

Please don't judge too harshly, this was only about two hours of work after I had a random idea for a theme (which was like the first 30 seconds). Its like the opening to an rpg version of house lol.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    Quick time events in Mortal Kombat for finishers actually would be neat.
    edited August 2010
    Wheels said:
    Quick time events in Mortal Kombat for finishers actually would be neat.

I know i would love that. I don't care enough to play those games long enough to master that stuff. I could rent it to see them with those casual elements or save my money and youtube them if they remain difficult. I think its a great idea.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Firemyst said:
    The Mitsuru thing was a joke. I thought an obvious one.

Hmmmmmm.... :whatsthat:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited August 2010
    I personally think it would be better if the finishers were just given the same controls as the character's special moves. E.g. Sub Zero would just have to enter his ice blast action to freezes the opponent and shatter them.

While quick time event sounds a little too easy to pull off each time and while I would like to see them, they mustn't be too easy or it isn't as humiliating to the loser.
  • lithoroselithorose Fire! Fire! Meiuuu! Full Members
    edited August 2010
    It's very tempting to try to attend the PAX party mentioned. Unfortunately I've already got a convention that weekend...

Gdawgtuk and Badgerlord (I believe it was?)- very talented both of you!:D
  • AzilisAzilis Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Anna, do you know any more about the numbers for the co-op multiplayer mode in Torchlight 2 than appeared in the PC Gamer interview? You said it would be 4-7, but based on the interview, I got the impression that they were just talking about the maximum number of players, and that they just weren't sure yet. That would mean you could have anywhere from 2 to 7 players (or whatever the maximum ends up being). I only check the Runic message boards occasionally, though, so I'm wondering if they've addressed this question already.

Can't believe Mikel started TWEWY but didn't get past Day 5. I couldn't put that game down during my initial playthrough.

And I liked the dungeon crawling of Persona 3 more than the story sections. That has a lot to do with my really enjoying the standard SMT battle system, though. The social links didn't really work for me, in part because they were just 10-step linear sequences with no branching whatsoever. A few of the individual storylines contained in them were fun, but even in the best ones, I never felt involved.
  • lithoroselithorose Fire! Fire! Meiuuu! Full Members
    edited August 2010
    I don't remember TWEWY being spectacular at Day Five. Still, like most RPGs it gets better as it goes along.

Also, Tartarus was the best part of P3. I look back now and wonder how I didn't get bored with a 300-level randomly-generated dungeon, with palette swaps on only a dozen enemies, but I didn't! The rest of the game, on the other hand...
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    Azilis said:
    Anna, do you know any more about the numbers for the co-op multiplayer mode in Torchlight 2 than appeared in the PC Gamer interview? You said it would be 4-7, but based on the interview, I got the impression that they were just talking about the maximum number of players, and that they just weren't sure yet. That would mean you could have anywhere from 2 to 7 players (or whatever the maximum ends up being). I only check the Runic message boards occasionally, though, so I'm wondering if they've addressed this question already.
    Sorry, I think my flippancy didn't come through in this. It came up on a couple news sites in the last week that people were reporting a "minimum" of four players, and I was making fun of that (as I did on the Runic forums, and they officially corrected the misconception there). Sadly the couple of places I saw it have since corrected their errors so I can't even mock them out any more :(
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    silktail said:
    I personally think it would be better if the finishers were just given the same controls as the character's special moves. E.g. Sub Zero would just have to enter his ice blast action to freezes the opponent and shatter them.

While quick time event sounds a little too easy to pull off each time and while I would like to see them, they mustn't be too easy or it isn't as humiliating to the loser.

I think at this point, the loser of matches usually want to see a finisher as much as the person who won!
    edited August 2010
    Paws said:
    Sorry, I think my flippancy didn't come through in this. It came up on a couple news sites in the last week that people were reporting a "minimum" of four players, and I was making fun of that (as I did on the Runic forums, and they officially corrected the misconception there). Sadly the couple of places I saw it have since corrected their errors so I can't even mock them out any more :(

Haha, ok. I thought you sounded genuinely upset that they were implementing a minimum of 4 players.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    I guess I wasn't dramatic enough :( Mind you, were it true I would be incredibly upset. Personally, I'm hoping they keep the party size to a dull roar. Maybe 5 people or so. 7-8 seems excessive?
    edited August 2010
    Paws said:
    I guess I wasn't dramatic enough :(

No, I just wasn't aware that there had been any discussion about a minimum party size. I had only read the PC Gamer interview and briefly browsed the TL2 message board. It didn't occur to me that anyone might take his 4-7 comment as meaning there would be a minimum party size until you mentioned it (dramatically enough ;)) on the podcast.
  • Xybec KattaXybec Katta Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Not to be off topic, but I was wonderin what Chris thought about Capcom putting the wolf from Okami in Marvel vs Capcom 3?
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

XBox Live: Xybec Katta
    PSN: Yeltu
    Steam: Xybec Katta
  • sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited August 2010
    Wow....that definitely went way far away from how it started.