If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - Staff Review

124»

Comments

• reionprementereionpremente Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    In reference to what Etna said, she's one to talk... she looks absolutely ridiculous in that get-up! But seriously, that's a really cool use of a still. ^_^ Hmmm... your notes seem VERY familiar for some reason (*cough* FF4 *cough*) But seriously, why does SE BLAME one of their other titles for the SO series not working? Personally, I love them and I wish that 4 wouldn't be the last one in the series. I think compared to 3's STORYLINE, it's the weakest in the chain. I don't care for the item creation much either... they should've just kept the weapons the way they were and did what FF7 with the materia holes. At least then you could actually KNOW how to get the weapons upgraded. The 'build your own weapons' really were SO 3 and 4's weak points. At least in 1 and 2, it's easy to do, but in 3 and 4, its nearly impossible to do it correctly.
  • HeeHoHeeHo Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Actually, SO2 PSP is 20 bucks on Amazon...
    edited August 2010
    HeeHo wrote: »
    Actually, SO2 PSP is 20 bucks on Amazon...

Good to know... thanks!
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    Yes, nostalgia. When was the first time you played SO2?

First time I played SO2 was two years ago, and it was a LOT better than SO4. So yea, nostalgia ain't the issue here.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    omegabyte wrote: »
    First time I played SO2 was two years ago, and it was a LOT better than SO4. So yea, nostalgia ain't the issue here.

I would confidently say that for most people nostalgia is a key factor in their love of the older SO games. SO4 was far from perfect, but its gameplay was far superior in every respect to the earlier games.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited August 2010
    I would confidently say that for most people nostalgia is a key factor in their love of the older SO games. SO4 was far from perfect, but its gameplay was far superior in every respect to the earlier games.

Certainly... but that's about it. The older games were a bit more well-rounded instead of invested in just one facet.
    ClixPsi.png
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Agreed. The first time I played the original Star Ocean was last year, and much preferred it to SO4. The older ones just had character, while the new ones have obnoxiously clich
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited August 2010
    SO 1,2 and 3 are all better games then SO4. SO4 may have had a better battle system, but that's all it had. At least in my opinion. I don't really believe nostalgia has anything to do with it. To me nostalgia is more of a feeling for a game that may not hold up to reality. When I can pop in SO2 and play it to completion in a few days, and then find myself struggling just to care enough about SO4 to play more then a hour at a time before i start to grind my teeth at the god awful story, characters and writing... Nostalgia has nothing to really do with it. Sometimes older games are truly better then ones released today.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited August 2010
    IMO Star Ocean 3 was a lot better and I like the Mental Points batter than Magic Points. I like how your players die when enemies cause brain damage to them. It was pure challenge! Also the game have more save points and places to perform synthesis than SO4.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited August 2010
    If you people still want to continue your off-topic discussion, do it here.

Otherwise, stick to Star Ocean.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited August 2010

Maybe in the realm of combat, but certainly not in other aspects. The sheer amount of time one must waste running to and from the ship or collect item crafting materials is ridiculous. I wasn't fond of the gimmicky boss fights with "weak points" either. Personally, I prefer SO3's battle system, ToV's being my next favorite.

And I certainly don't like needing to beat an optional boss several times over before I can make all the item creation stuff. A task I passed on because it would likely require doubling my play time. I mean, they made a vastly superior interface for IC after SO3, then shafted it by making it not worth the time it takes to collect materials.

Maybe it's not our nostalgia, but your blind love of SO4 coming into play here. Besides, considering where a large chunk of SO4 takes place and other past game references, it has its own share of trying to play on nostalgia, doesn't it.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    watcher wrote: »
    Maybe it's not our nostalgia, but your blind love of SO4 coming into play here.

Errr... I don't actually like the game that much. I am just trying to be objective. The most important aspect of the game is its playability, and in this case, the combat ranks high. It is far superior to all of the other entries, and since the story is virtually identical in execution as every other game in the series, I still fall back on the nostalgia factor. I will agree completely that the retreading is just ridiculous, and have said so on numerous occasions.

That said, I can't see how the game gets the flack it does. The combat is superb, to these eyes the visuals are outstanding, and story is just as good as the rest (in fact, insanely similar given the pencheant for the series to retread the exact same formula). I just have never been as huge a Star Ocean fan as some, hence my "blind love" certainly isn't a facto in my opinion of the game.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited August 2010
    Sounds like SO4 just did too much to detract from its strong points; too much backtracking, too long between save points. I'm not a huge fan of the series, but I found that SO2 did the least to get between the player and their enjoyment (the dungeon of crashes not withstanding).
    edited August 2010
    Sounds like SO4 just did too much to detract from its strong points; too much backtracking, too long between save points. I'm not a huge fan of the series, but I found that SO2 did the least to get between the player and their enjoyment (the dungeon of crashes not withstanding).

So then, what exactly was wrong with it? Other than the fact that it has bland graphics compared to the original version? Backtracking as I recall was a COMMON trait for ALL of the SO clan. 3 made you run around in circles so much it made you forget what you were doing most of the time. I didn't think 4 did it as much... although I didn't really like how they made the areas WAY too far away. The one in the second planet you went to seemed to make you walk to the dark side of the moon just to reach the first dungeon. By that time, you were either dead or on the verge of running out of items. In either case, it was not a good thing.
    edited August 2010
    Nyx wrote: »
    Truthfully, I don't hate the game. Far from it - the dialog is trite and terrible, but when I started to treat the game like a D-rated sci-fi movie, I found a lot of enjoyment. My biggest issue with the game is that there's so much potential, but so many things were executed poorly. Like I said int he review, this game will be an acquired taste for some, and for me, if I had truly hated the game, I wouldn't have bothered to get most of the achievements and the special endings. :)

I adore tri-Ace, and I appreciate there constant efforts to innovate and make deep and strong combat mechanics. In fact, SO4 has one of my new favourite battle systems of all time - it's amazingly complex, which is why it got a five. For me, story is very important to me and I will often heavily focus on that in a review, especially when things aren't up to snuff. Also no matter which way ya swing it, and I agree with you here, Sarah doesn't sound good in either language. English, Japanese, it doesn't matter -- someone needs to shoot her.

The visuals were a huge problem for me, so we can agree to disagree there. I don't like them, I think they are very awkward, and there's nothing worse than only being able to play a game in small bursts because it hurts your eyes. This happened to me quite a bit, as I found my eyes were really sore looking at the visuals. To me, that's not good, but to each there own.

Huh... DOES it or DOESN'T it have the Japanese track? I thought that was why it was released in the first place. That would get rid of the irritating dub, shouldn't it? The graphics arguably are better on the 360 but if you don't like them, you won't like them on either system. Personally, I thought the graphics were a complete overhaul over 3 and they needed to be. Although, I never had a problem with the original graphics, even if they were more FF6-esque. The fighting was on a similar wavelength except on on open field. But yes, despite the HUGE budget one could not overlook the bad story.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Huh... DOES it or DOESN'T it have the Japanese track? I thought that was why it was released in the first place. That would get rid of the irritating dub, shouldn't it?

The source material is lousy, period. Neither dub sounds good, and the script is still the same tripe.
    ClixPsi.png
    edited August 2010
    I must say that i like the doll like design of the characters. They look so good especially Reimi Saionji who have a excellent hair animation. I want to see more games looking like this.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
    edited August 2010
    @LordKaiser: HAHA, I thought I was the only one! The doll-like design of the characters is one element that I actually found appealing, though I can see how many people might find it creepy.
    edited August 2010
    Also Myuria Tionysus looks very good and the shape of her mouth reveals her mischievous nature. The doll graphics really helped with the details in the characters but I need to see how well it is used on another characters. At least the animation is a improvement on the first 1 but the landscape feels dull and the procedural synthesis used in the game is very noticeable.