If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

33: SUPERHERO Game

Comments

• TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited December 2011

Based on vibrations in the ground and its last known route, LALA calculates Mecha Menace is roughly 2000 yards to the southwest with a plus minus ratio of 500 yards. LALA knows it is simpler to just walk directly towards MM, but she notices the southern subway stations come very close to MM's current location. It may be easier to use the subway tunnels. There will certainly be fewer distractions and can be very quick if she finds a subway car, plus she already knows a powerful ally in Rattler is headed that way.

Of course, the subway system has been shut down for civilian safety, but LALA isn't really a civilian, is she?
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited December 2011
    "Are you able to get a good signal down here, LALA? If not, I want to get to Jade Sun asap." Jericho swipes a map of the subway line and starts looking for a route to Jade Sun station. He will then look for a subway car that can take him there and ask LALA if she could get it operational.
  • AcathalaAcathala Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    "LALA we'll rescue Ripper and Anna then we'll go stop Mecha Menace. Might be worth contacting Rattler see if he'll help us." Tom tries to access the Supercomputer for info on Rattler. Also on Ripper and King Cobra.
    edited December 2011
    (I'll be out and about all day tomorrow and then it will end with an important dinner, so I won't be able to update until some time tomorrow night. Also, I now know I will definitely not be around for Christmas and a few days after that)
    edited December 2011
    What do you mean Jericho will search for a subway car? Find one on a map, ask LALA, or literally search the tunnels for a car?

FROM THE SUPERCOMPUTER:

RATTLER/KING COBRA: Unfortunately, information regarding Cobra Squad is considered top-secret and is rigorously controlled by Homeland Defense. It's not a matter of bypassing any security. The information is simply not available; however, there are a few observation notes from independent crimefighters and what is likely LEC members unwilling to share their names. Rattler is described as Cobra Squad's "big guns" and is capable of using sound waves to deal massive damage over a large area, but there is no information about combat tactics. King Cobra is simply a mystery. The leader of Cobra Squad is rarely seen in the field. This has convinced many to believe King Cobra is merely a communications expert of some sort.

RIPPER: A registered exceptional crimefighter under the name Jose Edmund Cavazosa. Originally a welder with a minor educational background in physics and chemistry, he dropped out of school due to financial concerns and took a job at a garage to support his mother. Considers money to be the answer to all of his problems and has been known to take money for less than honest work disposing of rival gangs and crimelords. He has had a few disagreements with the law, but his drive to become rich and secure an endorsement deal always puts him back on the right side of the law. Did not join the LEC because he didn't want them to take a cut of his pay. Joined Nobody's rag-tag gang hoping the trouble they got into would lead to fame and fortune, but he often feels like he is being dragged down by dead weight.
    Ripper's incredible ability to tear through any material is the result of his understanding of chemistry and remarkable telekinetic strength. As if often the case with telekinetics, he does not realize he is capable of such feats and can only manifest his powers when focusing on solid objects. In reality, he is tearing materials apart at a molecular level, but not at an atomic level or else he'd cause more trouble, and he often imagines himself as "unwelding" objects when he "slashes" them with his arm. This has created the unfortunate side-effect of him being unable to use his powers if he can't see his hands. Homeland Defense have rated Ripper's potential at a Dangerous level, but due to his registered status, are willing to just monitor his progress...for now.
    edited December 2011
    (Search the tunnels. I doubt a map would tell me where one is and I'm not sure how LALA would be able to tell me where one is. Wait. She doesn't have the ability to start a car up and move one remotely, does she?)
  • EnyoEnyo Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    "I am going to resolve the Mecha Menace crisis." L.A.L.A. explained upon hearing more talk of delays and side-quests. Since the fastest route was using a subway car, L.A.L.A. moved to the nearest location with a high probability of having a subway car. As this was an emergency situation, that was likely a station, where the train would have stopped to offload passengers, and L.A.L.A. knew the closest subway station from the map on the wall she imaged earlier.

In her head, L.A.L.A. was calculating probabilities for saving Ripper and Anna, but there didn't appear to be a plan that allowed her to save them and not lose time in stopping Mecha Menace. With the mission already a complete failure, she needed to minimize further damage and Ripper and Anna were only two people, while the city housed countless more.

"Ripper and Anna are 45% likely to succeed without our assistance. Their odds of survival without assistance are 88%. We need to stop Mecha Menace from further harming human and machine civilians." she explained to the party. The girlbot seemed determined not to take any more detours and from the looks of it, if the party didn't go along, she'd go it alone.

She walked on at high speed, not waiting to see if the party would follow.
    edited December 2011

Not sure why you guys think Anna and Ripper need to be rescued.

LALA DOES have the ability to call for a subway car and she can order it to proceed to a specific station or checkpoint in the tunnels by way of the tunnel's control center. She also knows where the cars stopped when the system was shut down, because everything on the grid is mapped and marked, but why walk to the cars when she can call them?

This also presents a happy compromise for the team's intentions: LALA can easily order one subway car to carry team members to the Jade Sun station while she rides the other to Mecha Menance. When the rest of the team is finished their business, she can direct the car to rejoin her. It would put some time between the two teams, it's hard to say how much because LALA doesn't know what awaits them at Jade Sun, but at least 10 minutes or so apart is better than going their separates ways for the rest of the mission.
    edited December 2011
    (Never crossed my mind that they were in any trouble.)

Jericho will ask LALA to call up a car for him (and anyone else going) and have it take him to Jade Sun Station. He wants to try Stetson again on a clearer signal and coordinate something with the other independents, starting with the ones he called up earlier if they are up for it.
    edited December 2011
    (Got the imptession from the phone they were in trouble. Do we need LALA to get the signal from the top of the building?)
    edited December 2011
    (It will be a lot easier with her help)
    edited December 2011
    (Yeah but no luck persuading her)
    Tom will ask Jericho if he can go with LALA. If he can't, Tom doesn't press the issue. He asks. LALA to wait for them at the station rendez-vous.
    edited December 2011
    (( Still taking the same action: heading to Mecha Menace ))

L.A.L.A. called in a car for Jericho and Tom and another one for herself, using it to get to Mecha Menace. Being the good little robot that she was, she of course made sure to pay for her ticket and sent an e-mail to Jericho and Tom reminding them they needed to purchase a ticket as well.
    edited December 2011
    (I'm not sure if Tom is asking Jericho for permission for Tom to go with LALA or if Tom is asking Jericho to go with LALA. Jericho will not go with LALA, but if Tom wants to go he has Jericho's blessing.)
    edited December 2011
    CITY CORE: Subway Tunnels
    OBJECTIVES: Stop Mecha Menace!
    ENVIRONMENT: Stuttering Lights, Hot, Funny Smells

Tom wants Jericho to accompany LALA, but he refuses.

LALA calls in the subway car. It will take a few minutes to arrive. While she waits, LALA decides to tap into the subway system's ticket credit system and buys an all day pass for the entire team. They will probably need the subways again, so why buy tickets individually when she can address the whole day now? ...well, it sounds like something LALA would do. It only sets her back $40.

Unfortunately, she can't assign two subway cars to the same checkpoint, so she assigns one car to the point where the team is now and one further down the line. The first car to arrive is meant for LALA. As the doors open and the girlbot steps onto the train, a holographic image of a lady suddenly appears before her.

"Welcome to the Champion City Subway system! I am your automated conductor, Sam. I see you are attempting to use the subway system during a state of emergency," the AI conductor said with all the enthusiasm of scooping ice cream for children. "Protocol dictates the subway system not be used during emergencies unless the mayor, police chief, military, or similar ranking official deems otherwise. I must ask you to depart the train, but please don't hesitate to ride the subway again when this emergency has been resolved. Remember, there is only one way to commute...and that is the best way. Champion City Subway!

If you are military, police, or fire personnel, please present your identification now."

As for Tom and Jericho, they continue down the tracks to the next check point. They can hear the other subway car arriving, but they also hear shouting.

"Where the heck did this train come from? And where's that damned robot?" a man yells.

STATUS LINE: LALA Power Reserves at 1 hr, 10 min.
    edited December 2011
    L.A.L.A. seemed to respond positively towards the conductors positive attitude, becoming even more cheerful than usual. For a moment the other two heroes wondered if when the conductor responded in kind, the two of them would go into a feedback loop and explode in a blast of candy, chocolate and pink flowers.

"I am a super-hero!" L.A.L.A. explained, showing both her super-hero papers and her all-day pass. "I need to use the subway to end the state of emergency! Human lives are at stake!" she explained happily, seemingly convinced this would satisfy the conductor.
    edited January 2012

The AI conductor, still smiling, looks at LALA's ID-it's more like a credit card-and then returns her gaze to the girlbot.

"The Champion City Subway system recognizes the support of extraordinary crimefighters and gladly offers aid to the LEC and Homeland Defense, but I'm afraid we do not recognize independent organizations. I am so sorry for the inconvenience, but I must ask you to depart the train."
    edited January 2012
    Ton checks to make sure it's Ripper, then he and Roboman exit the train. He wants Roboman if possible to fly up and see if he can pick up the signal. If not, Tom phones the Supercomputer for advice.
    edited January 2012
    (How did Tom and Roboman get on the subway car?)

Jericho presses his back against the wall and stealthily makes his way towards the voices. He peeks around the corner to see who it may be.
    edited January 2012
    (They didn't, nor can Robo Man fly anywhere in a subway tunnel)

TOM AND JERICHO

Tom has a brain fart while Jericho silently creeps his way down the tunnel towards the next checkpoint. The next checkpoint turns out to be placed at an X-crossing in the tracks and the tunnel opens up to allow trains to switch tracks. Jericho peers around this wall and he spots a person wearing a thick and heavy looking bomb suit. He is standing beside a couple soldiers that appear to be handcuffed and sitting on the tracks. Strapped to their chests is what appears to be sticks of dynamite. They're about 70 ft. away.

They're all looking down one of the tunnels. The lights from the subway car can be seen rounding the bend in the tunnel and a blast of air is felt as the car approaches.

"That's the second one to come through. I thought the trains were disabled!" the man in the bomb suit said.

"See? You won't have time to finish preparing this ridiculous scheme of yours. Just let us go!" one of the soldiers said.

"Ha! Never. This just proves my suspicions. The government is using the subway to escape the city. They're controlling the cars. The next time they come through, I, Destructo, will blow them sky high!"

"What? No evil villain laugh?" one of the soldiers mutter.

"Is that your last words? You can do better than that. Your time is short, so start thinking. Now, where is that damned robot?"

MAP: (The black circles are pillars and the little red dot the Railroad Switch)

33tracks.gif
    edited January 2012
    Jericho looks to at the dynamite to determine from where he is what type of detonation device may be on it, wick or remote. He then looks up at the ceiling to see if there is a sprinkler system above them. He also looks at the walls to see if there is a fire alarm near. He makes his way back to Tom and Roboman. He says in a low voice, "There are a couple of soldiers tied up with dynamite strapped to their chest. Some nut named Destructo has them hostage. He seems to have control of that robot that attacked us earlier. Any ideas? I think if we set the sprinklers off we can keep Destructo from blowing the soldiers to pieces. It would also give us a chance to get closer to him during all the confusion. Problem with that is I'm not sure what water will do to our metal friend here. I don't want to short him out. How about it, Roboman? Will the water affect you in any way?"
    edited January 2012
    As part of a new year's resolution to free up more time in the middle of the day for work and because the Zero to Hero game has become 3 games in 1-so I feel like I'm running 4 different games at once-I've decided to cancel this game. The quality of the game also fell below my standards, but considering my goal to find more real-life work, I don't believe I will have the time to improve this one. At the very least, I accomplished my goal of proving the 33 rules can accomodate superheroes if you ignore the Trait Tier limit. Please divert all post-game talk to the utility thread.

Thanks for playing!

*don't forget to unsticky and lock!
    edited January 2012
    "Roboman... is waterproof. Roboman knows dynamite can explode under water." Roboman replied to Jericho "However, Roboman believes Destructo's remote control is not water proof."
    edited January 2012
    (I'm pretty sure modern subway tunnel anti-fire systems do not use sprinklers due to the presence of the electrified third rail. Instead, they use a venting system to starve the fire. Now fast forward 20 years and you can reasonably argue a tunnel blocking and vacuum sealing system is within place.

Not trying to start an argument, but it took some time to do that research and I don't want my notes to go to waste, heh. It's the very last thing I had, so go nuts)
    edited January 2012
    (( Maybe instead of sprinklers there are water pipes running through the subway - doesn't seem that far fetched to me that they'd share the space. ))
    edited January 2012
    (Sure, why not? Just remember-think 20 years into the future when running this game! Last bit of advice I have)
    edited January 2012
    Tom alas has no ideas beyond hitting Destruco.
    edited January 2012
    "Well, we need to get to him before he hits his detonator. If you think you are fast enough disarm him, Tom, I can port over and get the soldiers out of danger."

(I think I need more info on the subway fire suppression system in this time era. Our characters should know how it works, but us players are a bit out of the future tech loop. How does this fire system work? Is it just sucking the oxygen out of the air? Foam sprays? One of those foam solidifying systems that covers the fire and hardens? I want to use it but I don't want it to fail just because we don't know how it works.)
    edited January 2012
    It looked like the fire suppression system didn't have anything useful to offer - it mostly consisted of closing off the area to let the fire smother itself. However, there were water pipes running along the ceiling that, if broken, would be sure to spread water everywhere. Incidentally, this would automatically disable the powered rail, since it would short - luckily the rail would likely be protected by a surge device thingy so no further damage would be inflicted.
    edited January 2012
    (We're not waiting on TG to take Roboman, are we? I think we would need his input if that's the case.)