If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep - Impression

omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know?RPGamer Staff
edited October 2010 in Latest Updates
Another Kingdom Hearts spin-off? Yep, but don't write it off yet. Birth By Sleep is looking to recapture the original's charms. Here's what we think so far.

Read the impression here
"It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
Follow me on Twitter
Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Comments

• pcaballepcaballe Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Adriaan didn't really like any of the spin offs, but loves Birth By Sleep,

I loved all of the spin offs and games,

...I guess that means would cry from sheer joy after playing this one. 2 more weeks!!!
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”
    -Einstein
  • EthosEthos Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I actually liked KH: Dumb Name. I'm really excited for this.
    Mario Kart 8 Review - Latest Proto article
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    This makes absolutely no sense, of course, but is undeniably awesome.
    This quote pretty much sums up how I felt about KH1. I just might be picking up the PSP bundle for this game (and the other cool stuff I've been missing on PSP).
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    Does this count a review? if so then i don't read them if they're written by Adriaan den Ouden.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Ocelot said:
    I just might be picking up the PSP bundle for this game (and the other cool stuff I've been missing on PSP).

I'm in the same boat. Just gotta drop the order on Amazon and figure out what other games I should get afterward.

EDIT: More spinoffs than core games? Are you counting Chain of Memories as one or two games, and are you counting Coded (again, one or two games here)?

Personally I think the story in KH1 was better than KH2, but KH2 had a lot more depth, and I think I'm one of the few people who liked the systems in CoM. No verdict on 358 (aside from OMG Status Effects WTF) yet, although I think I get what h.a.n.d. was trying to accomplish here: a multiplayer focused mission based game you play in small chunks on public transport.

The amount of work they're doing on BBS makes me wonder if the game would've been a PS2 game if the timing had been better. Unless there's multiplayer I don't see why they couldn't have done it as a full blown console title aside from the fact that the PS2 is pretty much dead and it would take more work than they want to do to port the engine to the PS3 (where it would be judged against the PS3 standards).
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    With all due respect, I WILL NOT BE BUYING THIS GAME IF IT IS REVIEWED BY ADRIAAN DEN OUDEN! :suspect:
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    shoptroll said:
    I'm in the same boat. Just gotta drop the order on Amazon and figure out what other games I should get afterward.

EDIT: More spinoffs than core games? Are you counting Chain of Memories as one or two games, and are you counting Coded (again, one or two games here)?

Personally I think the story in KH1 was better than KH2, but KH2 had a lot more depth, and I think I'm one of the few people who liked the systems in CoM. No verdict on 358 (aside from OMG Status Effects WTF) yet, although I think I get what h.a.n.d. was trying to accomplish here: a multiplayer focused mission based game you play in small chunks on public transport.

The amount of work they're doing on BBS makes me wonder if the game would've been a PS2 game if the timing had been better. Unless there's multiplayer I don't see why they couldn't have done it as a full blown console title aside from the fact that the PS2 is pretty much dead and it would take more work than they want to do to port the engine to the PS3 (where it would be judged against the PS3 standards).

Well...

Core games:

Kingdom Hearts
    Kingdom Hearts II

Spin-Offs:

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
    Kingdom Hearts Coded
    Kingdom Hearts: 358 Days/2
    Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep

Also: There is multi-player in BBS (the screenshots we have of the characters fighting in their armor is the multiplayer stuff). It's an aside from the main story, however, and from what I can tell, completely superfluous.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited August 2010
    With all due respect, I WILL NOT BE BUYING THIS GAME IF IT IS REVIEWED BY ADRIAAN DEN OUDEN!
    Way to knock it up a notch.
  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited August 2010
    This is pretty-spot-on. I liked the first KH, but I wasn't down with any of the ones that came after. Birth by Sleep, on the other hand, is a joy to play.
    SiliconNooB said:
    With all due respect, I WILL NOT BE BUYING THIS GAME IF IT IS REVIEWED BY ADRIAAN DEN OUDEN! :suspect:
    Conversely, I will not be buying Adriaan den Ouden if this game reviews him.
    edited August 2010
    Rage said:
    This is pretty-spot-on. I liked the first KH, but I wasn't down with any of the ones that came after. Birth by Sleep, on the other hand, is a joy to play.

Conversely, I will not be buying Adriaan den Ouden if this game reviews him.

But... but... I'm such a great value!
    Follow me on Twitter
  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited August 2010
    omegabyte said:
    But... but... I'm such a great value!

With all the Hong Kong knockoffs being sold on eBay, I can't take that claim 100% seriously at this time.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    Rage said:
    With all the Hong Kong knockoffs being sold on eBay, I can't take that claim 100% seriously at this time.

Posts like this make me seriously debate turning on the vote up options, hahahahaha
    edited August 2010
    Rage said:

Those knock-offs are easily broken. You need to look for the RPGamer Seal of Quality™, only then can you be sure it's the real thing.

Spoiler:
    It's branded on my ***
    Follow me on Twitter
  • CofLSilkCofLSilk RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    I really need to get a new PSP this coming month...
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Looks freaking epic. Never liked the KH stories, but this game looks amazing. Anyone know if there will be any Final Fantasy cameos?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Confessor Rahl said:
    Looks freaking epic. Never liked the KH stories, but this game looks amazing. Anyone know if there will be any Final Fantasy cameos?

Just Zack Fair. And maybe some kind of moogle.
    edited August 2010
    Clix said:
    Just Zack Fair. And maybe some kind of moogle.

Well... as long as there is something. I am hoping for more cameos from FF characters in the inevitable KHIII. That was what I liked about the first two. They weren't hugely important (well, Auron), but they were present. I'd love to see some vintage ones like Locke or Bartz!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
    edited August 2010
    I was sort of sad that the Radiant Garden FF cameo characters weren't in BBS... seems like a missed opportunity to see them all much younger right before **** hit the fan. I mean, come on, they show off half of the Organization XIII members prior to the catastrophe and Kairi, so it seems cruel to not let fans check up with kid versions of Squall (prior to his silly name change), Cid, et al.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited August 2010
    I thought the FF characters weren't from Hollow Bastion / Radiant Garden originally?

Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised if they're phasing out the FF cameos since the franchise has enough exclusive characters that they don't need to rely on FF characters to keep people interested in it.

Besides, Dissidia is basically the FF mashup game. Complete with KH-esque weapons materializing from the ether.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
    edited August 2010
    Well, Squall, Cid, Aerith, Yufie, Tifa, and Cloud were all originally from Radiant Garden. When the Heartless swarmed from the labs, the people of the world that weren't consumed by the Heartless were able to make it to an in-between world (like Traverse Town); many of the Final Fantasy characters escaped to this junction world using Cid's Gummi Ship. Squall changed his name to Leon out of shame for failing to prevent his world's fall into darkness.
    edited August 2010
    They don't need to rely on them, no, but I think the series would have been a hit regardless of their inclusion in the first place or not. With so many FF characters across so many games, it seems a waste to focus on Disney and phase out FF... that is one of the aspect I loved so much about the first two games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

edited August 2010
    The Disney pantheon was always the focus, FF characters merely provided a thin veneer of fan service. I wouldn't worry too much either, BBS has one more FF character than 5/358 Days did, I think it might just be a spin-off thing.
    edited August 2010
    SiliconNooB said:
    The Disney pantheon was always the focus, FF characters merely provided a thin veneer of fan service. I wouldn't worry too much either, BBS has one more FF character than 5/358 Days did, I think it might just be a spin-off thing.
    I know that, I am not saying the game has to have FF characters to be a KH game, I am just saying I wish that they all did, and hope they don't phase them out. To me it is what made the games quite awesome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

• watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited August 2010
    omegabyte said:
    Those knock-offs are easily broken. You need to look for the RPGamer Seal of Quality™, only then can you be sure it's the real thing.

Spoiler:
    It's branded on my ***

That better be ear, otherwise we skip to the test where we see if you can endure all the abuse shown in the marketing ads.
  • MegaLink2MegaLink2 Banned Banned Users
    edited August 2010
    I would like to add that if you do not install the game, you are looking at some of the longest load times ever on a Playstation Portable game.
    edited August 2010
    Oh ... well that's quite an indictment, my memory stick is fairly big though, I just hope that the install doesn't take as long as Dissidia ... :/
    edited August 2010
    The install is freaking massive, too. 600mb. I had to delete the other installs I had for other games before I installed it.
    Follow me on Twitter
    edited August 2010
    I think the maximum installs for Dissidia and Peace Walker were bigger than that. (both a little over 800mb if I remember correctly)
    edited August 2010
    SiliconNooB said:
    I think the maximum installs for Dissidia and Peace Walker were bigger than that. (both a little over 800mb if I remember correctly)

Can't speak for Peace Walker, but the Dissidia install I had to delete was smaller than KH:BBS's, and I'm pretty sure I did the biggest install for that game.
    Follow me on Twitter
    edited August 2010
    Ah, you are correct sir, the largest install is 580mb, which seemed to take forever. I do hope that SE have better optimised BBS' 600mb install.