If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Natsukashisa - Japandemonium for August 27th, 2010

GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited August 2010 in Latest Updates
Out with the old, and in with the new.

Comments

• SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    My theory about the whole sheep aspect in Catherine, is that the game in attempting some social commentary by likening either salary men or herbivore culture to a flock of sheep heading for the abattoir. Probably herbivore culture considering that that way of thinking leads only to a societal dead end.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    When I see the sheep in Catherine, I think of Haruki Murakami's novel "A Wild Sheep Chase," but that's just me.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited August 2010
    My guess would be that the odds of Catherine coming over here unexpurgated is pretty damn close to zero. If it does come out here, the racier content will almost certainly be edited out or tamed down a bit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited August 2010
    I doubt it, the Japanese system is quite strict on sexual content (to the best of my knowledge), adult films are even required to pixilate genitalia (unless it has tentacles protruding from it). Expect it to be provocatively suggestive with lots of cut-aways and some boobs found within a confrontingly unsavoury context. It won't likely push the content boundaries any further than Heavy Rain, it will just be much trashier, seedier and bizarre in the ways it uses this content.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    Interesting to know that Catherine won't be an RPG... I guess the similarity between that location where Vincent is walking up the stairs and Tartarus was just coincidental. Either way, I applaud Atlas. I'm always hoping for more games to feature adults dealing with adult issues (not necessarily sex, I loved Tales of Vesperia's examination of vigilante justice, for example).

As a note to those of you who are interested in Catherine, see if you can get your hands on the movie Paprika, if you haven't seen it yet. Not only does it explore issues of dreaming and the subconscious, it features some of the most gorgeous animation I've ever seen.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Riviera: Promised Land gets CERO B (ages 12 and up) for nakedness (bath scenes). I think it's comparable to a T rating here. ESRB gives the game, which has similar content to the US version, a rating of T.
    Yggdra Union gets CERO A (all ages) - but it's more censored than the US version. For this reason the US version (which strangely is less censored) get a T rating. CERO A is comparable to an E rating here.

Has Atlus said what rating they are targeting?
    edited August 2010
    No, but given what they've been saying they could only be targeting an M rating.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited August 2010
    If there is a resurgence in Dragon Ball, it can likely be attributed to Dragon Ball (Z) Kai.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    Currently, I doubt Catherine will get much racier than what we've already seen. It's true that Japanese adult media can get revoltingly graphic while at the same time making the most ridiculous edits in the name of moral censorship, but Catherine's going to be on a Sony platform, which means they'll have to play by Sony's rules on adult material. If they were making this exclusively for the PC, like some of the eroge production studios, then all bets would be off.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2010
    SiliconNooB said:
    My theory about the whole sheep aspect in Catherine, is that the game in attempting some social commentary by likening either salary men or herbivore culture to a flock of sheep heading for the abattoir. Probably herbivore culture considering that that way of thinking leads only to a societal dead end.

Now that I think of it, that's a very good point to make...