If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Windows 7 Pro 64 vs FFXI hi-res mode

ShadowcatShadowcat MemberFull Members
edited August 2010 in General Help & Advice
Hi guys. I'm having a tech issue but I really consider it to be minor since I can get the game working just not at top stats.(big deal...it's better than my ps2) The trouble is when I get the game to run in high-res mode I get no sound and it would be nice to get it working that way. Here are my system stats minus the windows 7 in the title:

AMD Phenom 2 X4 965
4 Gigs of ram
1.5 Terabyte HDD
Radeon HD 4200(onboard)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO

All the drivers are up to date and I'm running the sound through HDMI. Any ideas or I'm just stuck for a patch and/or a better video card?
FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My VAPS Entry,

Comments

• shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited August 2010
    Video card isn't going to help with a sound issue. Why are you running through HDMI? What's your sound card?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited August 2010
    Bro, I just found out something interesting by asking the the FFXI LJ comm for you..

Windows 7 64 doesn't like video cards/onboard video with no included ram very much. Your only solution may be to get a video card.

Also it's got onboard sound too, shoptroll. I know that much tho that isn't my PC.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    shoptroll wrote: »
    Video card isn't going to help with a sound issue. Why are you running through HDMI? What's your sound card?

It's just the onboard and I listed the motherboard here but here's the newegg page: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131398&cm_re=M4A785TD-V_EVO-_-13-131-398-_-Product

as for why I'm running it though HDMI...well my HDTV is the best monitor in town and it's what I have to work with on a budget and I'm fresh out of PC speakers.

Oh and silly sister: I'll look when I get home as the work server I'm on hates LJ
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited August 2010
    Is it just FFXI that doesn't work over the HDMI?

EDIT: I agree with the LJ thread about re-installing/updating DirectX 9. Worms Reloaded is having sound issues for some people and that seems to be the solution for that issue in that game. If you need a new video card, try one of the lower Radeon 5XXX cards: namely the 5670 or the 5770, although it would be good to know what resolution you're trying before recommending either card. I'm guessing the 5850 or the Nvidia GT460 is out of your price range.
    edited August 2010
    shoptroll wrote: »
    Is it just FFXI that doesn't work over the HDMI?

EDIT: I agree with the LJ thread about re-installing/updating DirectX 9. Worms Reloaded is having sound issues for some people and that seems to be the solution for that issue in that game. If you need a new video card, try one of the lower Radeon 5XXX cards: namely the 5670 or the 5770, although it would be good to know what resolution you're trying before recommending either card. I'm guessing the 5850 or the Nvidia GT460 is out of your price range.

Directx 9? Windows 7 comes with DirectX 11 installed...I think if I installed 9 I'd get errors even before the install started. I'll bug those guys later but I know you can't have two versions of Directx installed on the same machine....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited August 2010
    Shadowcat wrote: »
    Directx 9? Windows 7 comes with DirectX 11 installed...I think if I installed 9 I'd get errors even before the install started. I'll bug those guys later but I know you can't have two versions of Directx installed on the same machine....

DirectX 9 co-exists with DirectX 10/11 on Vista/7. It's "classic" directX (aka DirectX9c) and is there since they made some substantial changes to DirectX with version 10 and later.
    edited August 2010
    tried installing that and using the benchmark in high-res(I refuse to fool with something that works even if it's not in the best mode) and no sound...cool video but no sound lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
This discussion has been closed.