If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What game OST are you listening to?

SiliconNooBSiliconNooB MemberFull Members
edited July 2014 in Entertainment
I thought it might be nice to have a more narrowly focussed game music discussion thread, like the music thread but with more potential overlap of interest.

Anyways ... I've been listening to Motoi Sakuraba's Baten Kaitos OST, which has really surprised me, in a good way. Most of the OSTs I have heard from him have been largely generic chaff up to this point, with the exception of Resonance of Fate (largely thanks to Kohei Tanaka), a few tracks from the otherwise awful Eternal Sonata and one of the thematic tracks from ToV.

This is why I found it shocking that a large number of the tracks on the Baten Kaitos OST were fairly original and competant tracks that any game designer would be happy to have on their project, I am particularly enjoying the game's theme which can be heard in such tracks as 'Brave Way' and 'To the end of the Journey of Shinning Stars'. Also of note is the elegant and sombre piano track 'Limpidly Flow', which I imagine would do an amazing job in establishing the mood of any game event.

This OST was actually so good that I've ordered the game in spite of some of the less than favourable opinions I've heard regarding some of the game's aspects.
Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Comments

• omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    There are three I've been jumping between lately. Tales of Legendia, which is a fantastic score and easily one of the best I've heard in a game, Nier, which is equally amazing (and I'm so glad I imported the CD), and finally Ys 7, which came with the game. Also quite entertaining. Ys 7 I find particularly interesting because the melodies are so unpredictable. In many places it sounds totally improvised, like the composer just started playing something and recorded it for the game.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    I've also been quite taken with the Xenoblade OST, which I would highly recommend to anyone with ears. The surprising thing about the OST is that two relatively unknown contributors (Manami Kiyota and the three person group ACE+) manage to outperform the work of Yoko Shimomura. The only thing which disappoints about the OST is that listening to 'Beyond the Sky' makes one wish that Mitsuda was given a larger role in the project.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited September 2010
    I'm listen to OST after OST on the YT account of Silvagunner. I've listened to a few random FF OSTs and all modern console Zelda games. Now I'm dipping my water in something quite foreign--Sonic Adventure--but the following OST returns to familiar FF and so on.
    ClixPsi.png
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Odin Sphere Soundtrack
    #1 Favorite Track Battle in the Forest of the Witch
    #2 Favorite Rally
  • shentinoshentino Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Final Fantasy VII OST

Torrented it awhile ago, but I'd much rather get the original CDs. The only site I could find on them is in japanese.

I couldn't be sure exactly but I think the prices were in yen O-O.
    edited September 2010
    Try Playasia?
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited September 2010
    There are many game soundtracks I listen to.

FFI-FFX - They never get old, I listen to them when I'm doing boring stuff on PC.
    Live a Live - The vareity is great.
    Red Dead Redemption - I love this kind of music and I got a free OST download when I bought the game.
    NIER - The best OST this generation. Everyone that likes game music should listen to it.
    Chrono Trigger/Cross - Great background music when I have I'm working on the PC.
    Morrowind/Oblivion - Great background music when I have I'm working on the PC.

There are others, but these are my top picks.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited September 2010
    Currently I'm mostly listening to the Arc Rise Fantasia OST, which I bought back in late March. The music is utterly fantasic, with a wide variety of excellent tracks. I personally find Yuki Harada's tracks to be better than those of Mitsuda's, despite him being the bigger name in this OST. Most of Tsuchiya's tracks are generic, but when he does something well, he does it very well. ARF's OST has quickly become of my most favorite video game scores ever.

Some noteworthy pieces:

"Imaginal Song"
    "Unexpected Fight"
    "Before the Mighty One"
    "Scorching Village, Ferris"
    "Now is the Time of Conclusion"

Oh and don't worry about Baten Kaitos, Noob. Yes the voice acting is sub-par (it's not terrible, ARF is leagues worse, in my opinion), and it has some weak spots in other areas, but it's a great game in spite of that.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited September 2010
    My only concern is the allegedly mediocre scenario, everything else sounds great (I plan on playing with VA turned off).
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    Listening to the FFIX soundtrack a good chunk of last month (plus the times when I was playing FFIX), also been listening to Frank Klepacki's Red Alert soundtrack (in addition to some of his stand-alone albums).

And I'll echo the sentiments on Baten Kaitos, is a great game. Didn't see much wrong with the scenario myself and thought even that was pretty good (although was a while ago).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited September 2010
    I thought the senario's pacing was pretty slow early on. It won't be until a certain point when a jaw-dropping plot twist occurs that it really picks up.
    Bravely second...

edited September 2010
    This is my favourite Nobuo Uematsu track at the moment, but I can't find the Sakura Note bonus soundtrack anywhere online, nor can I find any rips from the game ... :(
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Currently listening to Chrono Cross's OST.
    ClixPsi.png
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    It has been a toss up for years between Baten Kaitos and Chrono Cross as my favorite OST of all time. Frequently Xenogears edges its way in, but at the moment I am leaning towards Baten Kaitos. I listen to tracks off of all three almost daily, Chrono Cross for certain every day for the last decade.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited September 2010
    Listening to Baten Kaitos at the moment (with the distinct possibility of Final Fantasy IX later). The True Mirror really is a most fantastic track! I don't know how Sakuraba managed to not suck for long enough to compose this OST!
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    I've been listening to remixes of tracks from Super Robot Wars as done by a Japanese remix group called Kurogane.

Some highlights:

Guardian Angel (SRWJ - Calvina's Upgrade theme)
    Just One Chance (SRWW - Valzacard Final Attack theme)
    Dark Knight (SRWOG - Axel Almer's theme)

If I had to name a favourite track from each of my favourite composers, though, it would be these:
    Nobuo Uematsu - Terra
    Yasunori Mitsuda - Corridors of Time
    Motoi Sakuraba - Saturos' Battle Theme

Honourable mentions:
    Hiroki Kikuta - Sacrifice Part 3
    Naoshi Mizuta - The Sanctuary of Zi'tah
    ZUN - Bell of Avici ~ Infinite Nightmare
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
    edited September 2010
    Listening to Baten Kaitos at the moment (with the distinct possibility of Final Fantasy IX later). The True Mirror really is a most fantastic track! I don't know how Sakuraba managed to not suck for long enough to compose this OST!
    Believe it or not, he manages to do it again for Baten Kaitos Origins. The music is just as fantasic in the prequel (I have a preference for the original, but that may just be because I own the OST to Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean, but not to Origins).

Also, I've been listening to Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle's OST recently. Arceus, I can never tire of this music. It's still my most favorite video game score ever. I know I say this alot about it, but the music, to me, sounds like it comes from the world of FFCC. That is, it was composed by the people in the game world, not just created to fit the game. ^_^
    Bravely second...

• omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    I have a theory about Motoi Sakuraba... he doesn't suck so so long as he isn't working for people from Wolf Team. His tri-Ace and Tales stuff is mediocre, but his outside stuff is usually pretty good. Golden Sun's OST is also fantastic. Couldn't believe it was him til I saw his name in the credits.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
    edited September 2010
    That doesn't quite fit, his best stuff (Baten Kaitos, Eternal Sonata) is with Tri-Crescendo which is pretty much Tri-Ace's former sound team formed of several veterans from Wolf Team.

Personally, I think he just spreads himself between too many projects, which is why most of his OSTs just sound like generic Sakuraba, yet he makes sure to reserve enough time for Tri-Crescendo projects, since that is the studio that he is most closely aligned with.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    I've always found that Sakuraba is better at doing battle themes than other types of music.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited September 2010
    I listen to the Suikoden IV opening everytime I start the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ulviWVd750

I think it is really amazing.
    edited September 2010
    Quin wrote: »
    I've always found that Sakuraba is better at doing battle themes than other types of music.
    I have to agree. Even in his more standard soundtracks, the battle themes (especially the boss theme) are quite excpectional.
    Bravely second...

edited October 2010
    Currently rotating between every Halo OST. Godly music.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • ZerosignalBRZerosignalBR New Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    Well.... not listening to any OST lately.
    But for sure, the best OST ever is from CASTLEVANIA SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT!
    "In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of God hovering above? At least it is true, that man has no control, even over his own will".
    edited December 2010
    Been having Xenosaga Episode 1 on constant rotation lately. Such a beautiful soundtrack, literally every song is wonderful.
  • Just DougJust Doug Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Been having Xenosaga Episode 1 on constant rotation lately. Such a beautiful soundtrack, literally every song is wonderful.

I was just thinking about Mitsuda earlier posting about Chrono Cross, and actually I remember being disappointed with Xenosaga Episode I's music, making it my least favorite soundtrack of the games I know him from. Looks like I'll need to give it a listen and reconsider now that I'm a bit older.

As for what I'm listening to now, I'm actually listening to FFXIV music. Crazy I know, but in the few hours I managed to spend on the Alpha, that was one of the few things I liked was the music of Limsa-Lominsa and the surrounding area. It actually makes me feel a bit sad because it makes me think of how so much concept material, artwork, media, and such is wasted on that poor MMO.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Different versions of Aria of the Soul and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bwrvDayYTk
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    I am enjoying the Xenoblade soundtrack I ordered some time ago - the tracks are so varied and amazing. Also I just ordered the full soundtrack for Radiant Historia too.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Listening to the Dragon Quest VIII soundtrack on youtube.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited March 2011
    Listening to the Divinity 2 soundtrack. The best thing about this soundtrack is you can get it for free without being a thieving b*stard. The composer is distributing it from his website.

Wish I had the same luck with the Braid and Nier soundtracks. Damn my frugality.