If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What game OST are you listening to?

13»

Comments

• caddyalancaddyalan Member Full Members
    edited November 2011
    I ordered the limited edition of Trails in the Sky recently. It includes at least quite a bit of the game's music, which is enjoyable.
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited December 2011
    Luminous Arc 3 and Baten Kaitos Origins/II. LA3 is pretty good, especially the character themes, but overall it's not as good as the second game's OST or Arc Rise Fantasia. BKO's music on the other hand is just as beautiful as the first game's OST. "Le Ali Del Principio" is probably my most favorite track.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited December 2011
    Baten Kaitos has incomprehensibly gorgeous music across the board.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • robinthoms2robinthoms2 New Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    I'm currently listening to the whirling of my ceiling fan and the fizzling of my rootbeer.
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    I have been enjoying the Last Story and Mass Effect 3 soundtracks lately.
  • CaostotaleCaostotale Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    I've been on a Wild ARMS music binge (by which I mean a Michiko Naruke binge) and can't get enough of songs like WA4's 'The Shining Spear Pierces the Darkness.' It's really a shame that Naruke was ill during that soundtrack's production, because her newest work at that time was just bad-*** in every way. That track in particular has the coolest Hammond organ part, nestled between all of those big orchestra hits. The other composers on that one were okay, but ended up creating an unmemorable pastiche-y mess (which sort of matches the unmemorable pastiche-y mess that made up the game itself).

Aside from that, I've been listening back to the Luminous Arc soundtrack in the aftermath of finishing a playthrough. For all of that game's shortcomings, the score was an absolute joy. I'm particularly fond of 'Everyday Sunny', the happy theme that pops up during times of levity. I'm not sure if it's just the marimbas, but it reminds me of something from Secret of Mana. 'Battle' and 'Traces of the Journey' remind me of the awesome battle themes from Skies of Arcadia, with their orchestral scopes and bright flourishes. The less flashy battle/area themes 'Wandering Forest' and 'One Trick' were really nice changes in pace from the usual pace of battle music and featured some excellent percussion ideas. The latter's playful and mysterious Lydian-mode melody is pleasantly reminiscent of Ocarina of Time's similarly-cast 'Lost Woods' theme. The cello/bass part in that one is also wonderfully bouncy.

I've also been checking out music from franchises I've never played, like the recent Atelier games.
    edited July 2012
    Due to my recent The World Ends With You kick, I finally purchased an OST for the game. It's the Subarashiki Kono Sekai: It's a Wonderful World OST, so it lacks the tracks exclusive to the English version ("Three Minutes Clapping", "Transformation", etc). Those I can easily obtain on iTunes, thankfully. Even so, I absolutely love the music in this game. Not only is it great by itself, it really fits the game well.
    Bravely second...

• AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    I've heard some raves for Luminous Arc music. Any recommendations for #3? The first two soundtracks are out of print.
    edited July 2012
    Lumious Arc 3's music is pretty decent. My two most favorite tracks are "Knight(s) of the Black Rose" and "Loyalty Devoted to the Black Rose." However, I don't really think the soundtrack stands up well by itself. I would say among the three LA games, the only one that does is the second game, but since that's out of print, that may not be easy. For something Arc-related, the Arc Rise Fantasia soundtrack is just fantastic and outshines all three LA OSTs, in my opinion.
    Bravely second...

• FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited July 2012
    I know I shouldn't really be asking here, but is Arc Rise Fantasia any good, Strawberry? I always kinda thought it looked interesting and I love the art. It's by the same person who did Eureka Seven, so I've always had my eye on it.
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    I've been listening to the Ys: The Oath in Felghana OST. Awesome music that puts 99% of western rpg soundtracks to shame.
  • CaostotaleCaostotale Member Full Members
    edited July 2012
    Lassic wrote: »
    I've been listening to the Ys: The Oath in Felghana OST. Awesome music that puts 99% of western rpg soundtracks to shame.

So you're saying that the game's composer is good at fishing with dynamite...

J/K, good post. The Ys series is a major blind spot in my gaming background and this music makes me want to remedy that.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2012
    All the way from SRT4 (As far back as the SNES era) comes the SRT OGs2 version of Genocide Machine, the theme of the 'Guests':
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2013
    Dunno why I thought of it, but I found the Evergrace OST on Youtube. Easily the weirdest stuff I've heard. Listen to it yourself and tell me it isn't weird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6FAxnfIfG8&list=PLDDE54CA703BC533C
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited April 2013
    Xenoblade Chronicles has been in my rotation endlessly for the last few months and doesn't look to be leaving any time soon.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited April 2013
    Perhaps not surprisingly, I've been listneing to Fire Emblem's OST. I personally think it has the best music in the series. I still can't decide which track I like more: "Don't Speak Her Name!" or "Id (Purpose)."

Also, I've had several The World Ends With You tracks on repeat. "Long Dream" has been stuck in my head for days...
    Bravely second...

• Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2013
    Imported and been listening to the Bravely Default: Flying Fairy OST, primarily because I noticed that it's composed by Revo (of Sound Horizon). Love it, right up there with my favourites almost immediately. Example track here (the airship theme I believe).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • SerenitySerenity New Member Full Members
    edited July 2013
    OC Remix's Balance and Ruin, which is basically FF6 entire soundtrack professionally remixed. (Similar way as FF7 Voices of Lifestream, if you're familiar with it.)

http://ff6.ocremix.org/

So far I've only listened to couple tracks briefly, and I feel they're hard to approach, just similar way as I felt about Voices of Lifestream first, though nowadays I'm in love with that album.

I don't know if I find the album hard to approach due to the fact that many of the tracks have been made to some dance-music genre, or something similar, while I highly prefer the traditional style of rpg music in general. At least Voices of Lifestream had a lot of music that wasn't so drum & bass centric. Though I have only begun listening to Balance and Ruin. It may surprise me yet.
  • SerenitySerenity New Member Full Members
    edited July 2013
    I tried to make a post in this thread. Could a mod tell me why it wasn't approved? It's been a week soon, I think.

I included a link to external source (OC Remix), but it's a download link to a free Videogame Music album and as far as I know, it doesn't generate any profit on OC Remix's end, so I don't think I was exactly advertising anything???

Concept of my post was same as mentioning a good freeware game, so please could a mod reply to me via PM, or something. My PMs to admins haven't reached anyone so far.

Edit: wait, now I can see my post without approval? I am confused and sorry for bringing up the subject here.

I'm just not allowed to start new threads to feedback section, so.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited July 2013
    Serenitychie: We mods do have lives, sorry about that. Also sometimes we forget to check the queue (which is there to catch spammers; unfortunately it gets innocent users sometimes too). You reminded me that it needs cleaned out; I see a nice nest of spammers it caught so if your post hasn't been approved it will be shortly. ^^

For the rest of you; Carry on, this has just been your friendly neighborhood mod explaining things. ^^
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    edited August 2013
    Although I don't have the full OST yet, I have been listening to music from Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon that are part of the sample tracks on the Fragile Dreams: Moonlight Tracks bonus CD.

"A Dedication to...Everyone" is just so gorgeous, it makes me want to cry. ;_;
    Bravely second...

edited July 2014
    I recently obtained both the Bravely Default and The Last Story OSTs.I definitely prefer the former over the latter. BD may sound like "typical" JRPG music, but it is an excellent, diverse example of JRPG music. Apparently, this is the first game that composer Revo of Sound Horizon has done an entire OST for. Also, Motoi Sakuraba actually played piano/electric organ for some of the tracks. I don't quite have a favorite, though I've been listening to "Wicked Flight," "Serpent Eating the Horizon," and "Ballad to Hope" repeatedly. It may very well become a most favorite OST of all time for me. I would say it's the best of the year, if I had actually yet to play more games released this year. :P

The Last Story has more in the way of music tracks that tend to be forgettable, but there are several good ones as well.
    Bravely second...

Due to CDJapan's generous (and limited time) 900 reward points, I got myself a copy of the Bravely Second OST. I was reserved about how much I will like this compared to the original, but it's a nice collector's item. Plus, I had a 50/50 chance of getting this or Xenoblade X, another upcoming game's OST I am hesitant about.

Bravely Second's OST is certainly not bad, but it also doesn't stand on it's own, at least to me. While I only had the ten track pack-in CD that came with the collector's edition of Bravely Default before I got the full soundtrack, I really enjoyed the music I heard of it well before I had the chance to hear most of them in-game. This one, though, I may turn around on once I've actually heard the music in the context of Bravely Second. I do especially like some of the battle music.

I still miss Revo, though...
    Bravely second...

• specsspecs Excuse me, princess! The UniverseFull Members
    This surprisingly epic OST:

http://orbisaetherum.com <- My story podcast. Go listen!