If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Square Enix Announces Dissidia Duodecim: Final Fantasy

QuinQuin ne cede malisRPGamer Staff
edited September 2010 in Latest Updates
What's better than Dissidia II? Dissidia XII, that's what. It also seems like a Lightning strike might have caused the series to turn on its friends.

[NEWS]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Comments

• shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Last night, my girlfriend said it sounds like a medical condition:

Patient: Hey doc, what's wrong with me?

Doctor: You've got a case of the Dissidia Duodecim.

I'm inclined to agree with her.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    I'm looking forward to hearing more about this one. I hope that a few spin-offs get characters. Ramza from FF Tactics would be great. So would an actual named FF III character from FF III DS.

If they add just one more character from each game, then my guesses would be something like...

FF1: No idea. "Warrior of Light" was pretty generic, so it is hard to add another hero, though "Black Wizard" or "White Wizard" would be nice... So would an Elemental Fiend or Bahamut himself.
    FF2: No idea. This is the one FF game I know nothing about. Probably one of the ally characters who join and leave the party across the game.
    FF3: This is where I'd like to see a FF III DS character.
    FF4: Kain confirmed, and he was the obvious pick.
    FF5: I'd like to see Reina/Lenna in, and Faris would be cool, but I suppose you could make a good argument for Gilgamesh.
    FF6: Celes is the clear choice. She is the main character of the World of Ruin, after all.
    FF7: Aeris, probably, though I suppose Tifa would like to disagree. Thanks to Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core, we might see Vincent or Zack.
    FF8: Rinoa or Seifer, but I'd lay odds on Rinoa. FF8 was intended as a love story, and it is hard to portray that without Rinoa around.
    FF9: I suppose Garnet/Dagger has a good chance, but I want to see Vivi or Steiner.
    FF10: Yuna. No question. Possibly in FFX-2 form, but she needs to be there. Also, Seymour probably deserves an appearance.
    FF11: No idea. I never played this one.
    FF12: Any of the main heros would be nice. I'd like to see Balthier or Basch.
    FF13: We get Lightning, but I'll hold back comment on anyone else until I actually see the end of the game.

Still, with the strange Duodecim name, I wonder if the makers of Dissidia have been playing BlazBlue...
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited September 2010
    One good character? Ok, here I go.

(who we should get/who we'll actually get)
    FF: no one, add Ramza!/Female Light Warrior :(
    FFII: Leon/Guy speak beaver
    FFIII: Desch/Doga? Who cares!
    FFIV: Kain/Kain
    FFV: Boco/Galuf and he'll drop again
    FFVI: Setzer/Locke
    FFVII: Barret/Tifa
    FFVIII: Quistis/Rinoa and her dog
    FFIX: Vivi/Vivi
    FFX: Yuna/Rikku, because she's just soooooo cute
    FFXI: Zeid/no one, because they don't count this one
    FFXII: Balthier/Vaan because he's... meh
    FFXIII: Sazh/Lightning
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TiaelTiael Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Hmm, let's do it.

This is simply my wanton need of awesomeness in Dissidia 2

FFI: Black Wizard
    FFII: Leon, Maria
    FFIII: Unei
    FFIV: Edward, Edge
    FFV: Galuf, EX mode death and turns into Krile
    FFVI: Shadow, Edgar, Mog, Locke
    FFVII: Vincent, Cait Sith, Red XIII, Cid
    FFVIII: Irvine, Zell, Rinoa
    FFIX: Freya, Quina
    FFX: Yuna, Seymour, Auron
    FFXI: Zeid, Shadow Lord, Prishe, Eald'narche, Absolute Virtue
    FFXII: Vaan, Balthier, Ashe, Vayne, Reddas
    FFXIII: Fang, Vanille, Snow
    FFXIV: Fisher
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    The real question is, if they're going to add new characters, what are they going to do for the Darkness half? The Light half is fairly easy for each game, since there are at least 4 playable characters in each game. But villains? That's tougher. Here's a few that MIGHT work:

FFVII: Zack/Genesis. FF7CC, obviously.
    FFIX: Vivi/Black Waltz or Steiner/Beatrix
    FFX: Yuna/Seymour. This is pretty much obvious.
    FFXII: Ashe/Van or Balthier alone as an opponent for Gabranth
    FFXIII: Lightning/Barthandelus seems pretty obvious.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    Vivi please
  • TiaelTiael Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Possibly Cid in XIII as well, and how could I forget Vivi!? I'm mortified.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Tiael said:
    Hmm, let's do it.

This is simply my wanton need of awesomeness in Dissidia 2

FFI: Black Wizard
    FFII: Leon, Maria
    FFIII: Unei
    FFIV: Edward, Edge
    FFV: Galuf, EX mode death and turns into Krile
    FFVI: Shadow, Edgar, Mog, Locke
    FFVII: Vincent, Cait Sith, Red XIII, Cid
    FFVIII: Irvine, Zell, Rinoa
    FFIX: Freya, Quina
    FFX: Yuna, Seymour, Auron
    FFXI: Zeid, Shadow Lord, Prishe, Eald'narche, Absolute Virtue
    FFXII: Vaan, Balthier, Ashe, Vayne, Reddas
    FFXIII: Fang, Vanille, Snow
    FFXIV: Fisher

For FFXI I have more ideas than you: Tenzen, Kam'lanaut (gotta throw both of the Zilart in there), Lion, Aldo and Gessho. I'd have more villains but I gotta play more Wings of the goddess.

Spinoffs: Ramza(Final Fantasy Tactics), and Benjamin/Hero(Final Fantasy Mystic Quest)

FF6: Celes (main protagonist of the second half of the game)
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited September 2010
    I want to fight as a Chocobo... I can't be the only one!
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Oyashiro said:
    I want to fight as a Chocobo... I can't be the only one!

so I wana fight as a moogle...wait Mog would do nicely!
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My VAPS Entry,
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Ridiculous name. Squenix is doing that a lot lately.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    Confessor Rahl said:
    Ridiculous name. Squenix is doing that a lot lately.

The full title is written Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy.

While it seems odd, the number 12 does have meaning in Dissidia's plot.
    Spoiler:
    Namely, the number of loops that the Dissidia cycle had ran before being broken in the 13th loop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited September 2010
    shoptroll said:
    Last night, my girlfriend said it sounds like a medical condition:

Patient: Hey doc, what's wrong with me?

Doctor: You've got a case of the Dissidia Duodecim.

I'm inclined to agree with her.

Nearly every Square Enix game outside of the FF main line has had a nonsensical, BS name since the start of the "Compilation of Final Fantasy VII." It's part of the "style over substance" ethos that's been guiding the company for the past 5+ years. Right up there with zippers, belts and cardboard-cutout protagonists.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    masterchief said:
    nearly every square enix game outside of the ff main line has had a nonsensical, bs name since the start of the "compilation of final fantasy vii." it's part of the "style over substance" ethos that's been guiding the company for the past 5+ years. Right up there with zippers, belts and cardboard-cutout protagonists.
    QUOTED FOR TRUTH.Dx
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    I'm hoping they don't add new characters but ditch the entire lineup and just go with, y'know, characters that are actually good, as in fun to play, enjoyable to watch, have a fan following, etc.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited September 2010
    MasterChief said:
    Nearly every Square Enix game outside of the FF main line has had a nonsensical, BS name since the start of the "Compilation of Final Fantasy VII." It's part of the "style over substance" ethos that's been guiding the company for the past 5+ years. Right up there with zippers, belts and cardboard-cutout protagonists.
    Hey now, that's not exactly true. Some of the games within the FF main line have done that too. ;)

...Crisis Core had a great soundtrack, but that's beside the point.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited September 2010
    The Japanese website has opened, but all they have up is the main theme and title icon.

BTW, returning characters that have been confirmed: Warrior of Light, Garland, Cecil, and Kuja.

The latter was actually confirmed by his ENGLISH voice actor. He said he did his lines for the sequel about three months ago, meaning we'll likely see an (!) international release of the game or at least within the same week. (He also said he studied a lot of the criticism he received, and he feels he really improved his performance of Kuja for the sequel).
    edited September 2010
    MasterChief said:
    It's part of the "style over substance" ethos that's been guiding the company for the past 5+ years.

I see things like this said a lot, which are absolutely not true. Jilted fans much?

The name is stupid, but who really cares as long as it's good?
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Wheels said:
    I see things like this said a lot, which are absolutely not true. Jilted fans much?

The name is stupid, but who really cares as long as it's good?

Well, fans are jilted for a reason, remember.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
    edited September 2010
    ...I love FF, but I'll have to say it's definitely felt "style over substance" for a lot of this decade.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    According to Famitsu, Takeharu Ishimoto (TWEWY, Crisis Core, FFXIII Agito) will be the lead composer for Dissidia 2.
    http://www.squareenixmusic.com/musicnews.php
    edited September 2010
    Clix said:
    ...I love FF, but I'll have to say it's definitely felt "style over substance" for a lot of this decade.
    yes Final Fantasy XII was certainly all style an no substance. And Dragon Quest 8. And Dragon Quest 9. And Crystal Chronicles. And Final Fantasy XI and it's loads of Content. Romancing SaGa? Unlimited Saga? SaGa 2 DS? Tactics Advance 1&2? Seriously people? Square-Enix is a large company and you're choosing to define them on a few games.
    edited September 2010
    Confessor Rahl said:
    Well, fans are jilted for a reason, remember.

What reason would that be? Final Fantasy games no being like previous ones, despite the fact this has aways been the case?
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited September 2010
    MasterChief said:

That's an over-reliance on Nomura as a their main designer for a lot of the products coming out of the company. "Rule of cool" sells to their target demographic.

It's been going for a lot longer than 5 years. Basically since VII, and there's been some damn good games produced in that time.

I would be really pleased if Square-Enix would trim some of the fat and cut down on the number of spinoffs and slow up on the pace of releases for them. Namely, gut Crystal Chronicles or fix the mechanics so it works finally. If 4 Warriors of Light fails to take off, cut that too. They should do more stuff with experimental gameplay mechanics with new IPs instead of basing them in existing franchises. Ie. more stuff like TWEWY and Song Summoner. Crystal Defenders didn't need to be wrapped up in FFTA garb.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
    edited September 2010
    shoptroll said:
    That's an over-reliance on Nomura as a their main designer for a lot of the products coming out of the company.

TVTropes on "Misblamed";
    - And speaking of Square, regardless of your opinions on their output, a lot of people seem to believe that artist Tetsuya Nomura not only does 100% character designs, but literally does everything at Square Enix. He is often blamed for character designs on titles he's not involved in, accused of programming decisions, and sometimes even marketing. For the record, he doesn't actually do much for Final Fantasy outside of designs and debugging, and actually didn't serve as a character designer for IX, XI, or XII. (All of which we're told "were all Nomura's".) He also only directs the Kingdom Hearts series, got a side project out of The World Ends With You, and his first effort as a director for the Final Fantasy series is Final Fantasy Versus XIII, which is ironically being lauded by many of his detractors as a creative, fresh new direction for the series, unlike that other "Nomura anime crap".

-And not to mention, let's not forget that people seem to think he only came around in Final Fantasy VII. Despite somehow coming in Final Fantasy VII...he was a debugger in IV, monster designer in V, and actually designed several characters in VI. This leads to a inversion of this, as people always assume Amano designed every character in games I-IV, and complain about Nomura redesigning Setzer for Kingdom Hearts II because he was an Amano character—while Setzer was actually one of the VI characters that he designed. How 'DARE Nomura redesign his own character?! The BASTARD!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    I for one quite enjoy a good stylish game. The people who clamour and complain when someone declares that video games are not art are exactly the same people who complain when they get more artistic.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Quin said:
    TVTropes on "Misblamed";

Exactly. Nomura's just one dude. WHile he's pretty much done to FF what Toriyama did to Dragon Quest (make it blah and samey looking), he's not the only problem at the company by a good long shot.

I for one quite enjoy a good stylish game. The people who clamour and complain when someone declares that video games are not art are exactly the same people who complain when they get more artistic.
    Artistry is fine and I'm all for it, but when the games all have that sort of "gap model" style, how is that any different than, say, everyone looking similar to a fault in Call of Duty?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited September 2010
    shoptroll said:
    That's an over-reliance on Nomura as a their main designer for a lot of the products coming out of the company. "Rule of cool" sells to their target demographic.

It's been going for a lot longer than 5 years. Basically since VII, and there's been some damn good games produced in that time.

I would be really pleased if Square-Enix would trim some of the fat and cut down on the number of spinoffs and slow up on the pace of releases for them. Namely, gut Crystal Chronicles or fix the mechanics so it works finally. If 4 Warriors of Light fails to take off, cut that too. They should do more stuff with experimental gameplay mechanics with new IPs instead of basing them in existing franchises. Ie. more stuff like TWEWY and Song Summoner. Crystal Defenders didn't need to be wrapped up in FFTA garb.

Yes doing unproven new franchises instead of improving your existing IPs is a great idea!

Man I'm all for new stuff out of Square, but the spin-offs aren't going to stop. A lot of people like them. Square-Enix is a big company, you don't have to get mad just because you don't like everything they put out anymore. Spin offs is what gave us great and good games like Tactics, Crisis Core, Cyrstal Chronicles , and Rocket Slime of all things.

Crystal Defenders without the FFTA garb would have been just another tower defense game, how would that have sold?
    edited September 2010
    shoptroll said:

I'd really probably point a bit more to Kitase, who may very well be (for good reason) burned out by this point. He is frequently mentioned when it comes down to anything with the name FF slapped somewhere, much more so than Nomura. Kitase seems to be producing everything, or he is at least one of the most vocal producers and ends up speaking for everyone (Nomura has in the last year or two been doing something of the sort thanks to his [actually good] Twitter updates).

To Wheels, I am not saying EVERYTHING SE produces is bent on Rule of Cool, but a lot of subseries have been incrementally falling back on that style of showmanship. This is most prevalent in the Compilation, and, while I adore Dissidia as an idea and actual game, a lot of characterization was warped in odd ways that let a sour taste in my mouth. Meanwhile, Final Fantasy XIII's subseries seems entirely built on this concept, from the get go by announcing three games at once and then spending the next ~5 years getting them out the door. The only one released (FFXIII itself) felt very bare-boned, especially considering how long the game was in development.

As for the other series you listed off, I don't really consider Dragon Quest as part of the problem because Horii has and will (likely even in death) always control that series, for better or for worst (depending on how one personally likes the series). Conversely, as Shoptroll said, Crystal Chronicles is an entirely different problem. However, unlike the World of Mana, Crystal Chronicles is a mild cancer that has yet to be dropped and never spoken of again. And, while you bring up the SaGa series, the series has been practically dead since Unlimited Saga. Sure, there are some ports coming out (in Japan), but that's not a great indicate for a series's health. It too seems to be sitting in the same corner as Mana and Crystal Chronicles, likely due to strained resources from all the side projects besides these tertiary series.

As for FFXII, that's also an entirely different cup of tea. The development of the game is ripe with the stench of executive meddling. A lot of the real details are not publicly known, but different sources (both Square and Matsuno) have disclosed different factors, like the major "main character" debate. In an attempt to appease to the standard JRPG demographic, Vaan was elevated to the level of POV protagonist, despite serving a very minor role in the script itself. Like FFXIII, the game was in development for numerous years, but a lot of aspects did not seem as "tight" as some past games due to what appears to be fundamental clashes between the creative development and the producers.

A lot of these issues did not happen when Sakaguchi was around because Sakaguchi is a crappy businessman. He was not a by-the-books president. He was a creative developer who rose to that position, and he took a few stupid risks (insert The Spirits Within as evidence one). However, he let a lot of ideas go with the flow, allowing for the development of games that are considered classics. Not all of the games produced under his tenure were great, but there felt like a higher degree of focus and cohesiveness that seems absent today from Square Enix's (non-Dragon Quest) projects.
    edited September 2010
    Am I the only person who doesn't care about the art style in say Kingdom Hearts or TWEWY?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]