If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Disgaea Upgrades Fourth Entry

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited October 2010 in Latest Updates
Disgaea is back and looks shinier than ever. Is anyone else worried at the thought of prinnies being tossed around over PSN? I am.

Story
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Comments

• StormofSwordsStormofSwords Crazed Bullet Miser Full Members
    edited September 2010
    The graphics still look pretty bad...Why release this on PS3? As if anyone is actually going to play it online...
    Madness is a complete statement. Saying more would be pointless.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    They might in Japan.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    StormofSwords said:
    Why release this on PS3?

Because the last one was on PS3 and was successful?

Also what do you mean "bad"? The graphics look fine. If by bad you mean "not super awesome HD" then that's a misuse of the word bad! :P
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Actually this does look really awesomeness. Definately a WTF
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited September 2010
    Apparently this has been confirmed for a summer 2011 release in North America!
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited September 2010
    Wheels said:
    Because the last one was on PS3 and was successful?

Also what do you mean "bad"? The graphics look fine. If by bad you mean "not super awesome HD" then that's a misuse of the word bad! :P
    No, they're just really bland, and kind of grainy, and not very detailed, and don't look any better than Disgaea 1 on the PS2. And the last I checked, Disgaea 3 tanked...Probably because most people didn't see the game as worth $60 dollars. Now if it released on PSP, I'd be willing to pay $40 for it, and the graphics would be excusable, at least.
  • SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Yey, finally a reason to have a PS3 other than Blueray and Disgaea 3! (Partially kidding.) I was expecting a bit more in the way of a graphics upgrade after they kept having to field questions about why Disgaea 3 was on PS3 and not PS2. I'm perfectly happy with the graphics the way they are, it definitely won't deter me from purchasing the game. Even when the plot is a little too zany or the cat girls a little too scantily clad, something about the game play just keeps drawing me back in to these Disgaea games. I guess I'm just starved for Tactics-style games.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010

Sprite comparison between Disgaea 3 & Disgaea 4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • MiyosakaMiyosaka Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Uh, yeah Stormofswords, you're just plain wrong when you say they look the same as the sprites in Disgaea1.
    thanks for reading
    edited September 2010
    StormofSwords said:
    No, they're just really bland, and kind of grainy, and not very detailed, and don't look any better than Disgaea 1 on the PS2. And the last I checked, Disgaea 3 tanked...Probably because most people didn't see the game as worth $60 dollars. Now if it released on PSP, I'd be willing to pay $40 for it, and the graphics would be excusable, at least.
    I have no idea where you heard that Disgaea 3 tanked, cause it did not.

Also Disgaea 3 retailed at $50
    edited September 2010
    Macstorm said:
    Apparently this has been confirmed for a summer 2011 release in North America!

Well I know what I'll be playing next summer!
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Quin said:

Can't you SEE?!!!! They are the SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • SilverMouriSilverMouri Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    UPDATE (09/17/2010 12:00PM PT):

NIS America has confirmed a Summer 2011 release for Disgaea 4 for North America.
    How did NIS get the ability to go back in time, and where can I obtain it XP
    Forsaken Muses: And then you eat the people
    Forsaken Muses: And my HP went up
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited September 2010
    SilverMouri said:
    How did NIS get the ability to go back in time, and where can I obtain it XP
    Marty! It's your kids!
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • AzilisAzilis Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Quin said:

Until this post, I couldn't see any visual upgrade, and I don't think improved sprite sharpness is going to make that much of a difference. That said, who cares about the graphics? It's Disgaea. Can't wait.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxFull Members
    edited September 2010
    i love me some disgaea. had lots of fun running around 3 and I expect to again in 4.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • DescaraDescara Fly Away Now Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Mega. Love.

The sprite difference is lovely.

As for the Online, didn't you guys play Disgaea PSP? That had Versus and such and it worked out pretty well.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxFull Members
    edited September 2010
    I just couldn't think of a reason I'd want to play online against other people. I mean, it's ridiculous in concept. Like in Disgaea 3 I had a few characters dropping 29 million hp bombs on things that disagreed with me. I don't think it would be fun to throw a bunch of that around.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    I'd be the first to say that Disgaea has shown little evolution as a series, or graphically. Great looking sprites though, and this gen needs some good sprite games (What happened to Vanillaware anyway?).
  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Jitawa said:
    I'd be the first to say that Disgaea has shown little evolution as a series, or graphically.
    There is a reason you're the first one saying this. *patpat*

So yeah, Summer of 2011 and main-series entries in the future will always come out on the current PlayStation TV console first, so "what system?" no longer needs to be a question with new main-series titles. Game looks great. I'm always left wondering how they thought up certain concepts. I'm excited for this game.
  • SirusjrSirusjr Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Looks sweet. I for one will not miss the school setting from 3 even though the story had a few good points.
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Jitawa said:
    (What happened to Vanillaware anyway?).

I'd assume they're working on the HD ports of Odin Sphere and Oboro Muramasa.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited September 2010
    games looks HD to me, so thats all i really care about. in order for a game to qualify as next gen on ps3 or 360, they just need to be HD in my opinion, and this game's sprites look sharp enough to me to be HD, sort of like streetfighter 2 HD remix.

that said, I wish more sprite based HD games would get made. An breath of fire game with streetfighter 2 HD remix graphics would look amazing. i would very quickly drop cash on a reskinned breath of fire 2.
    sup?
  • scorpioscorpio Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    I have no opinion on this. I guess I should play disgaea 3 and see what I think of it.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Nice to see Disgaea in HD. 3 was great but the blurry sprites were an eyesore.
    edited September 2010
    Jitawa said:
    I'd be the first to say that Disgaea has shown little evolution as a series, or graphically. Great looking sprites though, and this gen needs some good sprite games (What happened to Vanillaware anyway?).

I disagree, well somewhat. While the core game mechanics don't change that much between entries, the level designed has evolved and gotten much more interesting over the course of the series. A lot of the battles in Disgaea 3 were more puzzle game than they were anything else! I think at this point though, Disgaea doesn't need to change much, and like Dragon Quest, most fans probably don't want it to (I don't).
    edited September 2010
    A screen from Final Fantasy 1 PSP version. The sprites here are much more colorful, and much clearer, and it's on the PSP. After seeing the comparison and contrast shots Quin put up, I can't deny the graphics in Disgaea 4 are farther improved from the first than I supposed, but they are still extremely subpar.

As for sales, from what I heard, Disgaea 3 didn't pass a pathetic 106,000 units, even in Japan. It's too bad, it was a really fun game, but I'd say that classifies as a failure, when a heavily Japanese game can barely even sell in Japan.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    As for sales, from what I heard, Disgaea 3 didn't pass a pathetic 106,000 units, even in Japan. It's too bad, it was a really fun game, but I'd say that classifies as a failure, when a heavily Japanese game can barely even sell in Japan.
    VGChartz has the game selling 291,000 copies all up 111,000 in Japan and 180,000 in the US, though being VGChartz these numbers are likely a little wonky.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • DescaraDescara Fly Away Now Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Non-FF/DQ rpgs are held to a different standard than shooters and such. 300,000k~ copies is very well, especially for a niche title. Just because CoD sells 10+ million doesn't mean Disgaea has to.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2010
    StormofSwords said:
    but they are still extremely subpar.
    No, they're really not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.